WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus or testing for Coronavirus (Group Hug)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Awe Lilibet I am so sorry to hear you contracted COVID. Get lots of rest and keep MrLilibet safe too.

I actually came to this thread because my daughter in Florida just called to tell me her fiancé just tested positive. He has been feeling very tired and unable to concentrate. They live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and they both work from home so I don’t know how they’ll escape each other.

Any tips on how to live and care for someone dealing with COVID? I suggested different rooms but how to deal with meals, refrigerator and bathroom sharing?

Health Canada has a good list of how to care for someone with covid, how to protect yourself when living with someone with covid, how to monitor symptoms, cleaning, etc.

How to care for someone with COVID-19 at home - Canada.ca

Awe Lilibet I am so sorry to hear you contracted COVID. Get lots of rest and keep MrLilibet safe too.

I actually came to this thread because my daughter in Florida just called to tell me her fiancé just tested positive. He has been feeling very tired and unable to concentrate. They live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and they both work from home so I don’t know how they’ll escape each other.

Any tips on how to live and care for someone dealing with COVID? I suggested different rooms but how to deal with meals, refrigerator and bathroom sharing?
I took care of DH back in April. I do have a larger house though and we used separate bathrooms and bedrooms. However, when taking care of him, I still had to be near him. I delivered his food on a tray 6+ feet away from him and picked it up the same way. Washed the dishes constantly, sprayed his bathroom down with bleach cleaner every time he used it, and, of course, wore a mask all the time when in the same area as he was. Now, I would probably wear 2 or 3 masks.

I also took my own temp constantly and kept him away from the cats. Hope all goes well for your daughter and her fiancé.

For @Lilibet and everyone here who has covid or has loved ones, friends, coworkers with covid - actually this is really for everyone in the whole world who has covid :)

upload_2021-1-29_11-53-50.jpeg

@Lilibet, I hope you feel better after the Bamlanivimab Monoclonal Antibodies. I am so excited you were able to get this!! ❤️

—-

Bamlanivimab Notes

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Monoclonal Antibody for Treatment of COVID-19
Nov. 02, 2020

“Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the investigational monoclonal antibody therapy bamlanivimab for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adult and pediatric patients. Bamlanivimab is authorized for patients with positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing who are 12 years of age and older weighing at least 40 kilograms (about 88 pounds), and who are at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization. This includes those who are 65 years of age or older, or who have certain chronic medical conditions.

While the safety and effectiveness of this investigational therapy continues to be evaluated, bamlanivimab was shown in clinical trials to reduce COVID-19-related hospitalization or emergency room visits in patients at high risk for disease progression within 28 days after treatment when compared to placebo.“

Fact Sheet for Patients, Parents and Caregivers
Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of Bamlanivimab for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

https://www.fda.gov/media/143604/download

Jan. 21, 2020
Lilly's neutralizing antibody bamlanivimab (LY-CoV555) prevented COVID-19 at nursing homes in the BLAZE-2 trial, reducing risk by up to 80 percent for residents | Eli Lilly and Company

New data show treatment with Lilly's neutralizing antibodies bamlanivimab (LY-CoV555) and etesevimab (LY-CoV016) together reduced risk of COVID-19 hospitalizations and death by 70 percent

CIDRAP / Jan. 21, 2020
Combo monoclonal antibody drugs may lower coronavirus loads

This COVID-19 treatment may cut hospitalizations by 70%

Eli Lilly released results of a late-stage study on Tuesday, showing that its cocktail — named bamlanivimab — combined with the monoclonal antibody called etesevimab can cut hospitalizations for high-risk COVID-19 patients.
  • Per USA Today, the drug “mimics one of the natural antibodies the immune system uses to fight off the virus.”
The study said 10% of patients who receive a placebo went to the hospital. Meanwhile 2% of those who received the full cocktail had to go the hospital, according to USA Today. That’s a 70% drop.
  • The patients involved in the study were diagnosed with COVID-19 four days before they were treated with the drug, according to USA Today.
  • None of the 518 patients who received the cocktail died from COVID-19. Eight people who took the placebo did die.”

Monoclonal Antibody Treatment: Frequently Asked Questions: COVID-19 - Minnesota Dept. of Health

“Antibody treatment can be used by people with mild to moderate COVID-19 who:
  • Test positive for SARS-CoV-2.
  • Are within 10 days of the start of their symptoms.
  • Are age 12 or older and weigh at least 88 pounds.
  • Are at high risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 or of needing to be admitted to a hospital because of COVID-19.“
[...]

“Clinical trials for bamlanivimab and for casirivimab/imdevimab have shown a decrease in hospitalizations and emergency room visits and a decrease in the amount of virus in an infected person's blood. Studies are still ongoing.”

[...]

Who is considered at high risk?
High risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization is defined as patients who meet at least one of the following criteria:
  • Have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35.
  • Have chronic kidney disease.
  • Have diabetes.
  • Have immunosuppressive disease.
  • Are currently receiving immunosuppressive treatment.
  • Are 65 years of age or older.
  • Are 55 years of age or older AND have one or more of the following:
    • Cardiovascular disease.
    • Hypertension.
    • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/other chronic respiratory disease.
  • Are 12-17 years of age AND have one or more of the following:
    • Body mass index greater than 85th percentile for their age and gender, based on CDC: Clinical Growth Charts.
    • Sickle cell disease.
    • Congenital or acquired heart disease.
    • Neurodevelopmental disorders, for example, cerebral palsy.
    • A medical-related technological dependence; for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation (not related to COVID-19).
    • Asthma, reactive airway, or other chronic respiratory disease that requires daily medication for control.
Screening Tool for Monoclonal Antibody Treatment (PDF)

Last edited:
The infusion went well. I’m heading back to bed so will say more later. :)

Lilibet, we are waiting anxiously to hear an update from you... I hope you are feeling better and your husband isn't worse.

Since you have Covid and received the antibody treatment, I believe you will have to delay getting vaccinated. Here is what CDC says (BBM):

Persons who previously received passive antibody therapy

Currently, there are no data on the safety and efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines in persons who received monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma as part of COVID-19 treatment. Based on the estimated half-life of such therapies as well as evidence suggesting that reinfection is uncommon in the 90 days after initial infection, vaccination should be deferred for at least 90 days, as a precautionary measure until additional information becomes available, to avoid potential interference of the antibody therapy with vaccine-induced immune responses. This recommendation applies to persons who receive passive antibody therapy before receiving any vaccine doses as well as those who receive passive antibody therapy after the first dose but before the second dose, in which case the second dose should be deferred for at least 90 days following receipt of the antibody therapy.

Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

Thank you all for your kind words and checking on us. I had a bad night, but the rest of the day was OK until my cough went into overdrive this evening. I probably talked to our daughter too long on the phone. My husband has symptoms and got tested today. What a pair we are! If he is positive, I expect he will do the monoclonal antibody infusion too. Can’t hurt. Might help.

I’ve been so busy fielding texts from local friends and the delivery of cookies and chicken soup that this is my first chance to give you all an update! Again, thank you for caring and for posting good info. You are all great!

Thank you all for your kind words and checking on us. I had a bad night, but the rest of the day was OK until my cough went into overdrive this evening. I probably talked to our daughter too long on the phone. My husband has symptoms and got tested today. What a pair we are! If he is positive, I expect he will do the monoclonal antibody infusion too. Can’t hurt. Might help.

I’ve been so busy fielding texts from local friends and the delivery of cookies and chicken soup that this is my first chance to give you all an update! Again, thank you for caring and for posting good info. You are all great!

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing--- Sounds like the treatment is helping- sorry Mr. Lillibet is not feeling well--- it is great that your doctor suggested the monoclonal antibodies: From what I have read too many docs are not suggesting this treatment- for various reasons, which I don't understand. We are all praying for your continued improvement - please keep us advised as to how you are doing!!!!

Glad that you are doing well.

Might want to limit long chats. Give yourself time to get well. And don't overdo it. Day 10 to 14 seems to be the worst, because people start to feel better, so they over do it, and end up worse than before.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing--- Sounds like the treatment is helping- sorry Mr. Lillibet is not feeling well--- it is great that your doctor suggested the monoclonal antibodies: From what I have read too many docs are not suggesting this treatment- for various reasons, which I don't understand. We are all praying for your continued improvement - please keep us advised as to how you are doing!!!!

Mr L got his positive test result today. No surprise. :( I think limited availability is the problem. According to this article that came out the day I got my infusion, only four healthcare providers in Oregon are doing the monoclonal antibody infusion. Asante, mentioned in the article covers 9 counties, so I presume someone would have to travel here to get it. Thankfully, it’s at our local hospital.

Asante begins offering antibody treatment for COVID-19 patients

Glad that you are doing well.

Might want to limit long chats. Give yourself time to get well. And don't overdo it. Day 10 to 14 seems to be the worst, because people start to feel better, so they over do it, and end up worse than before.

Learned my lesson about talking too much! I will tell my dh about day 10-14. He’s one who would overdo it. I’m a slug normally anyway. :D

Mr L got his positive test result today. No surprise. :( I think limited availability is the problem. According to this article that came out the day I got my infusion, only four healthcare providers in Oregon are doing the monoclonal antibody infusion. Asante, mentioned in the article covers 9 counties, so I presume someone would have to travel here to get it. Thankfully, it’s at our local hospital.

Asante begins offering antibody treatment for COVID-19 patients

Thank goodness you got that treatment: I truly believe it is a life-saver--- Glad you are on the road to recovery (sorry about hubby)- will he get the infusion? hope so. Rest up now girlfriend-----

I just checked in with my daughter. Her fiancé is “feeling better” but still tired and continues to rest all day. She said she feels fine, so far.

Lilbet, so sorry to here about DH. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

As of today, Sunday, I’m still coughing my head off. Mr L either hasn’t caught up to me yet or has a milder case. He will check with our doctor tomorrow about the infusion.

I’m getting advice from friends and our daughter to do specific breathing exercises to expand my lungs, which sounds good in principle, but deep breaths start me coughing, which effectively ends the exercise. I’ll keep trying.

My appetite is pretty much gone except for applesauce. Friends brought a lovely dinner and I don’t want any. This is SO unlike me. I still have taste and smell.

Did I mentioned exhaustion? LOL

Thanks for your kind thoughts. :)

As of today, Sunday, I’m still coughing my head off. Mr L either hasn’t caught up to me yet or has a milder case. He will check with our doctor tomorrow about the infusion.

I’m getting advice from friends and our daughter to do specific breathing exercises to expand my lungs, which sounds good in principle, but deep breaths start me coughing, which effectively ends the exercise. I’ll keep trying.

My appetite is pretty much gone except for applesauce. Friends brought a lovely dinner and I don’t want any. This is SO unlike me. I still have taste and smell.

Did I mentioned exhaustion? LOL

Thanks for your kind thoughts. :)

Have you tried honey or chocolate to help with the cough? A spoonful of honey or a square of chocolate melted on the tongue have worked for DH and me. Or tea or hot water with lemon and honey. I don't know if these home remedies would work for Covid cough, though...

I hope you will be much better soon!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaastrichtDetective
Back