WV WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24 Sep 2011 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Petition: Aliayah’s Law

Background (Preamble):

A report by the advocacy group Every Child Matters recently revealed that up to 5 children die every day in the United States from abuse or neglect. Three quarters of the victims were three years of age or less.

Well-documented research suggests the number of children who die from abuse and neglect is considerably higher than official government statistics. Here’s how the federal government defines maltreatment deaths:

“Fatal child abuse may involve repeated abuse over a period of time (e.g., battered child syndrome), or it may involve a single, impulsive incident (e.g., drowning, suffocating, or shaking a baby). In cases of fatal neglect, the child’s death results not from anything the caregiver does, but from a caregiver’s failure to act. The neglect may be chronic (e.g., extended malnourishment) or acute (e.g., an infant who drowns after being left unsupervised in the bathtub).”

According to the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect, an average of 152 sexual offenses against American children are recorded daily.

The current judicial system does not adequately reflect the serious nature of these crimes. The death of a child through abuse or neglect is often punished with a prison sentence ranging from only 1-15 years, most of which are automatically halved with parole. This needs to change now.

WE PETITION THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA TO:

1. Increase the maximum sentence in cases where the victim is 16 years of age or less to a discretionary life sentence.

2. Disallow a defendant to plea bargain to a charge of Involuntary Manslaughter or less if the victim is less than 16 years of age or less.

3. Review sentencing guidelines for ALL crimes relating to child abuse, increasing both minimum and maximum sentences.

4. Introduce a law concerning fatal abuse without fatal injury where death as a result of complications from failure to seek medical attention; illness in a child whose immune system is impaired by the stress of chronic abuse or neglect; or abuse or neglect of a child already impaired by chronic illness, is labeled murder.

5. Ensure that sentences for child abuse run consecutively.

6. Abolish parole for all crimes against children.

7. Life sentences should mean LIFE.

8. Close the legal loophole which allows abusers to escape jail when the child survives, by blaming each other for the abuse.

9. Increase the penalties for failure to report suspected abuse by mandatory reporters to the level of a felony.

10. Increase the timeliness of mandatory reports to DHHR on suspected child abuse cases to 24 hours.

11. Make mandatory by law enforcement the reporting of any missing child, within 6 hours of the child being reported missing, to local media and social media sites.

12. Create county social media pages in which county commissioners can communicate with the general public and report any missing children with description, time of disappearance, rallying point for volunteers, etc.

As noted in the federal Department of Health and Human Services’ report “Child Abuse and Neglect Fatalities: Statistics and Interventions,” “these children are the most vulnerable for many reasons, including their dependency, small size, and inability to defend themselves. Further, 70% of the fatalities involved a parent as perpetrator. And often the abuser is a poor “…young adult…without a high school diploma…depressed… [who] has experienced violence first hand.”

In light of the recent tragedy concerning the disappearance of Aliayah Lunsford within Lewis county, West Virginia, we call for urgent improvements to child protection within the state to include:

1. As the majority of child abuse cases include children 5 years of age or younger, we call for the introduction of regular compulsory health checks, at least four times a year for ages 0-2 and three times a year for ages 2-5. These checks would help to reveal any signs of abuse or neglect. Department of Health and Human Resources(DHHR) and Child Protective Services(CPS) should be alerted if appointments become overdue.

2. DHHR/CPS case workers & health care professionals should be allowed to physically examine young 'at risk' children. A child on the 'at risk' register means that child is considered to be at risk of significant harm. Examinations should therefore be compulsory at every visit of an at risk child or when any new child is brought to the attention of the authorities where there are reported concerns of abuse as this is the easiest, quickest & most effective way to determine if a child is being physically abused or not.

3. DHHR/CPS Case Workers should carry out a task list at every visit which should be adopted statewide and include:

- check the cleanliness/hygiene of all living quarters

- check for evidence of undisclosed people living at the property & Criminal
Record Check all residents

- check there is sufficient food and other essential supplies

- physically interact with the child

- physically examine the child

- ensure they see the child unrestrained & moving, crawling or walking to assess
any difficulty with movement & possible injury

- see children old enough to speak on their own in the presence of another
professional, so that the child can talk uninhibited away from its caregivers

- check for signs of drug use or alcohol abuse as these are often linked to cases
of child abuse & neglect

- observe family's interaction with pets as abusive behavior may be indicative of
domestic violence

- check for any other dangers

4. If the DHHR/CPS case worker strongly suspects physical abuse, they should have the power to remove the child immediately while the matter is investigated, with law enforcement assistance.

5. Social workers must be aware of 'red flags' that could be cause for concern and should check on the child without delay every time one is raised as the child may have already sustained injury or be in poor physical condition. These should include:

- caregivers failing to attend any appointments

- being denied access to a child or its residence

- caregivers regularly appear not to be at home or who say a child is unavailable
(confirm child's whereabouts immediately)

- caregivers saying that they can't see anyone for a period of time

6. Up to 80% of Social Workers' time is spent on administration. Free up this time to be spent with vulnerable children instead with adequate admin support. Also, main focus needs to be protecting vulnerable children - not meeting targets, budgets or red tape.

7. Increase funding of DHHR to add additional social workers in CPS, update computer systems and create a statewide database in which children and families “at risk” can be followed, even when the family moves across county lines.

8. An urgent review of the criteria required to have a child taken into care.

9. Introduction of the whistleblowers' hotline for the use of all child protection agencies and the public to expose internal bad practices. Better protection for whistleblowers and a ban on gagging orders in such circumstances as they only serve to hush up bad practices and allow them to continue unchecked.

10. To recruit and retain adequate numbers of high quality, well trained Social Workers & Health Visitors within DHHR.

11. If abusive pet owners can be banned from keeping animals, a similar law should be in place to protect children from abusive caregivers or caregivers who allow a child to be abused or neglected. Abusers should forfeit all visitation & parental rights. Why should children have less rights to protection than animals?

12. A child's welfare must always take priority over keeping a family together.

Petition:

Since Aliayah Lunsford’s disappearance, it has been revealed that up to 5 children die every day in the United States from abuse or neglect and that child abuse is far more common than anyone could have imagined.

In light of the tragic and avoidable disappearance of Aliayah Lunsford, we urge the State of West Virginia to implement urgent improvements to child protection statewide to include the above recommendations, and to review the sentencing guidelines for all child abuse related crimes, with a view to ensuring justice for the innocents who are failed in life, and then also failed in death by the injustice of our current legal system, and for those children fortunate to survive, only to be further ill-treated by the injustice of West Virginian legislation:

This is a draft of the proposed petition. It is not meant to be the ACTUAL law that we are asking for, but rather a list of changes to existing laws within the state of West Virginia.

Because of the limitations of Facebook, the group is a PUBLIC group. Which means threads can be read by everyone. To take part in the discussion, you are asked to join the group.

The outpouring of support the group is receiving helps to keep out spirits high and maintain our determination to help Aliayah and other "at risk" children here in WV.

The group address is http://www.facebook.com/groups/157086711052107/

Thank you everyone for your support of Aliayah and all of the other children affected by this.

Sorry to be off topic but what has happened to the other little baby 10 months old all the posts have vanished on her

Sorry to be off topic but what has happened to the other little baby 10 months old all the posts have vanished on her

It's been moved to the Hot Cases section of the website.

WV Lawmakers Discuss "Caylee's Law"

This is a law that WV is already working on. The folks working on a law in Lewis County might want to talk to the state lawmakers about including some of their ideas into the law that is already being proposed.

One of the things that concerns me about the Aliayah proposal is that there are way to many people reporting families to CPS in WV when it's totally unfounded. Mostly because of feuding between families or neighbors. Defining an "at risk" child will be difficult. I have worked with many local families who have been falsely accused and the trauma that puts on the family, including the children, is horrible.

LE likely has video of the activities of other people that day, too. And I doubt they're just looking at that one day. I'm sure they've talked to many people and have looked at a lot of footage from the days and weeks before the day Aliayah was reported missing.

I'm not in the 'Mom did it' camp right now. For that matter, I don't have anybody in mind as the perpetrator, simply because I still have nothing to go on. At this point, I don't even see any indication that LE is pursuing the mother more than another person.

BBM

I can respect your position, Martha.

As for myself, I have no problem stating that I'm a resident of Camp Mommadiditorsuretheheckknowswhodid.

It hurts me to look into her eyes! She is SO young, but the pain is sooo evident :(

Yes, the pain is piercing. I want to go back to her birth and save her from what I believe is to be 3 years of anguish. I'm so glad this thread is picking up a bit.

Aliayah, your WS family is a big one. I hope you can feel the love and power.

LE likely has video of the activities of other people that day, too. And I doubt they're just looking at that one day. I'm sure they've talked to many people and have looked at a lot of footage from the days and weeks before the day Aliayah was reported missing.

I'm not in the 'Mom did it' camp right now. For that matter, I don't have anybody in mind as the perpetrator, simply because I still have nothing to go on. At this point, I don't even see any indication that LE is pursuing the mother more than another person.

Can it be said that LE is pursuing anyone or anything? (This isn't snark, just a very real question.)

The petition and FB page for it...
I sent an add request, was accepted but still can not post comments so I sent another request.

The problem with leaving signatures open to public viewing on the petition is that there are trolls with nothing better to do than sleuth people in real life and torment them publicly and online. Those of you who have followed these cases long enough will know what I mean.

No Details from Law Enforcement;
Local Efforts Bringing Attention
http://www.centralwestvirginian.net/find-aliayah.html
Local and regional media outlets continue to search for new angles to keep the story in the spotlight minus any details forthcoming from law enforcement or pleas from Aliayah’s mother and stepfather for the return of the child.

Back at the beginning, someone said LL has just regained custody of the children. Maybe it was a rumor, does anyone else remember seeing this?

Thank goodness this thread is picking up some momentum.

I think (hope) we will see something after the birth of the twins.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Aliayah/petition.html

This is the online version of the petition to change West Virginia laws protecting children. Please show your support by signing it.

Thank you.

There are some elements of the proposal that I can't support and some concerns I have at this point, so I won't be able to sign the petition. And I think there's a little too much included in the petition for it to be successful. But wasn't there supposed to be a part about changing the criteria for Amber Alerts, and something about media alerts when there is a missing child?

Or were the articles that referenced those things as being part of a petition drive referring to a different petition?

No Details from Law Enforcement;
Local Efforts Bringing Attention
http://www.centralwestvirginian.net/find-aliayah.html
Local and regional media outlets continue to search for new angles to keep the story in the spotlight minus any details forthcoming from law enforcement or pleas from Aliayah’s mother and stepfather for the return of the child.

What is this 'CentralWestVirginian' site? I have seen it listed it quite a bit, and when I went to it yesterday I couldn't find out what exactly it is. There wasn't an 'About Us' page that most pages have, telling who runs the page and what it's about. Really, it looks more like a blog than a news outlet. Does anyone know?

There are some elements of the proposal that I can't support and some concerns I have at this point, so I won't be able to sign the petition. And I think there's a little too much included in the petition for it to be successful. But wasn't there supposed to be a part about changing the criteria for Amber Alerts, and something about media alerts when there is a missing child?

Or were the articles that referenced those things as being part of a petition drive referring to a different petition?

What is this 'CentralWestVirginian' site? I have seen it listed it quite a bit, and when I went to it yesterday I couldn't find out what exactly it is. There wasn't an 'About Us' page that most pages have, telling who runs the page and what it's about. Really, it looks more like a blog than a news outlet. Does anyone know?

Central West Virginian is an online newspaper/blog. It is actually quite popular here in the local area.

The changes to notifying the public and media are included in this version of the petition. The petition is not law, but a list of suggestions for lawmakers to use when updating WV child abuse laws.

Back at the beginning, someone said LL has just regained custody of the children. Maybe it was a rumor, does anyone else remember seeing this?

I haven't read anything about that. Have they returned home? She should have had the twins by now. moo

I hope LE has some evidence and I hope they have checked video cameras in the area to see if Aliayah was with the family shortly before she was reported missing. I wonder about that too.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member