WV WV - Cassie Shelton Sheetz, 23, hiker, Spruce Knob, Monongahela National Forest, 11 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On the surface, this makes me think of the Allyson Watterson case, with an extra player.

I'm an avid hiker, and in thinking about why/how I would get separated from my hiking partner(s), there are really only a few reasons: 1) I stop to relieve myself and my partner keeps hiking with the understanding that I will catch up; 2) I stop to take pictures and my partner keeps hiking with the understanding that I will catch up; 3) I get tired and need to stop and my partner keeps hiking with the understanding that I will catch up; 4) I get ill or injured and have to stop and my partner keeps hiking with the intention of getting help; 5) I get into an argument with my partner and we intentionally create some distance from each other because we're mad.

Unless I'm hiking alone, I'm a faithful practitioner of the buddy system and we always stay within eyesight of one another, but if I were to become separated for one of the reasons above, I would expect my hiking partner to backtrack if I didn't catch up in a reasonable period of time. I can't speak for everyone, but that seems the most logical thing to do, even if only because that person is your ride home.

There are one-offs, such as taking a different trail back to base so you can see who gets there first or some other reason based in fun. Unfortunately, the only other reasons that come to mind are dark ones.

I personally don't like to hike at night, but it's not uncommon, especially if you want to reach a good vantage point to watch the sun rise or you've been there waiting for the sun to set. In my experience, when I've hiked in the dark my group typically stays closer together so we can see where we're stepping and help each other through tough sections, and if your only light source were something like a cell phone then you'd really be sticking close to whoever was in the lead.

I sometimes hike at night. You can now buy a really bright headlamp, like a Petzl Tikkina, capable of up to 250 lumens intensity, for $20-30 which is invaluable for finding your way. LED lighting has made spectacular improvements in just the past few years while dropping the costs. Unfortunately I don't think these were experienced hikers who would have known about such things.

But it's a darned good " look over here" giving cover for a person that's disappeared ☹️
Was Cassie a hiker and outdoor oriented person ? Doesn't seem she was dressed for the weather up there. Was this spur of the moment trek ? It's pretty chilly up in the mtns still ....
Praying for Cassie to be found safe and soon MOO.

I sometimes hike at night. You can now buy a really bright headlamp, like a Petzl Tikkina, capable of up to 250 lumens intensity, for $20-30 which is invaluable for finding your way. LED lighting has made spectacular improvements in just the past few years while dropping the costs. Unfortunately I don't think these were experienced hikers who would have known about such things.

I wonder what kind of shoes she had on.

I’m just catching up on this too but I agree with what posters above have said, I used to hike often and this doesn’t sound like experienced hiking. A compass and sticking together are usually rules they go by.

One of the males stayed at the car when the other male came out of the woods and learned that Sheetz had yet to find her way out; one of the males returned to the trail to search for Sheetz while the other stayed in the vehicle, according to state police.

An unaffiliated individual noticed the male waiting in the car and learned about Sheetz disappearance, so the individual called 911 to report the missing individuals, troopers said.

While the male who had gone to search for Sheetz was located, Sheetz was officially listed as missing on Mar. 12, and she is still considered missing at this time, according to state police.

Woman missing after hiking in Spruce Knob | WBOY.com

Someone upthread asked who reported Cassie missing.

Not sure if this was posted, but this is a YouTube video posted about the situation by someone who spoke to the victims sister to get details.

As someone who lives right here and knows the families and some of the people involved. It's shady. The police seem to know more than their telling which is obviously common in an open investigation. Imo this will not have a good outcome unfortunately. I dont think she was ever up there. Rain could have caused the dogs not to catch a scent. But I think its an alibi that is full of holes.

Her family has been sharing this on our mountain community pages, from the beginning. (I live in western Maryland and all of the small communities up and down the mountain chain in MD, VA, WV & western PA tend to coalesce with each other to get news out and solicit help). Her father is putting in a lot of footwork, searching for her. Also, word is that she has 2 children... so we are talking about a young mother that needs to be found for her babies' sake. :(
Maybe I missed it on earlier pages, but does anyone know what kind of car she has? I'm trying to wrap my head around the back window being knocked out. If it is a sedan, wouldn't it make more sense to break out the glass to a side door and just open the car via that way? If it is a recent model car, wouldn't the alarm have went off when the window was smashed? Like, stuff is just not adding up.

On the surface, this makes me think of the Allyson Watterson case, with an extra player.

I'm an avid hiker, and in thinking about why/how I would get separated from my hiking partner(s), there are really only a few reasons: 1) I stop to relieve myself and my partner keeps hiking with the understanding that I will catch up; 2) I stop to take pictures and my partner keeps hiking with the understanding that I will catch up; 3) I get tired and need to stop and my partner keeps hiking with the understanding that I will catch up; 4) I get ill or injured and have to stop and my partner keeps hiking with the intention of getting help; 5) I get into an argument with my partner and we intentionally create some distance from each other because we're mad.

Unless I'm hiking alone, I'm a faithful practitioner of the buddy system and we always stay within eyesight of one another, but if I were to become separated for one of the reasons above, I would expect my hiking partner to backtrack if I didn't catch up in a reasonable period of time. I can't speak for everyone, but that seems the most logical thing to do, even if only because that person is your ride home.

There are one-offs, such as taking a different trail back to base so you can see who gets there first or some other reason based in fun. Unfortunately, the only other reasons that come to mind are dark ones.

I personally don't like to hike at night, but it's not uncommon, especially if you want to reach a good vantage point to watch the sun rise or you've been there waiting for the sun to set. In my experience, when I've hiked in the dark my group typically stays closer together so we can see where we're stepping and help each other through tough sections, and if your only light source were something like a cell phone then you'd really be sticking close to whoever was in the lead.
Good points. And what are the odds of not one but two people losing sight of a third hiker? At different times no less. I sure wouldn't put my money on that scenario.

The two men remain anonymous - why isn't LE naming them?

Good points. And what are the odds of not one but two people losing sight of a third hiker? At different times no less. I sure wouldn't put my money on that scenario.

The two men remain anonymous - why isn't LE naming them?

Usually two reasons for that:

They know the people whose identity they're protecting aren't involved and don't want to have innocent people dragged through social media.

They know the people are guilty and they want to protect their cars.

They know the people whose identity they're protecting aren't involved and don't want to have innocent people dragged through social media.

I vote the second - that LE is protecting their case. MOO. I suspect things are happening in the background and we'll soon see a break in this case.

It could be too that they are technically witnesses at this point but agree with this also.

From this article, and BBM:

“They started down Huckleberry Trail from the top of Spruce and that’s where they claim they got separated from each other,” said Sgt. Andrew Teter of the West Virginia State Police.

One of the males spoke with Teter and other law enforcement on Friday. The second man walked out as search teams were assembling to look for the individuals."

The "claim" word is Hinky and suspicious all by itself.

"The second man walked out", screams entitlement and a don't bother me attitude. Does he have a lawyer already?

[bbm]

I think when they said he 'walked out', the meant he walked out from the forest while searchers were gathering

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back