WV WV - Kevin Flythe, 52, on bus from Charleston to Washington DC, 27 Jan 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Kevin Flythe was driven from FCI Gilmer, located in Glenville, WV, to the Charleston, WV Greyhound bus station."

They drove him 100 miles south to put him on a northbound bus.

Transportation Notes
Kevin supposed to travel the following bus schedule:
Charleston, WV - Departure 9:50 am on 1/27/22
Cambridge, OH - Arrival 12:40 pm; Departure 1:00 pm
Cleveland, OH - Arrival 3:30 pm; Departure 4:55 pm
Pittsburgh, PA - Arrival 8:15 pm; Departure 9:15 pm
Baltimore, MA - Arrival 1:50 am (1/28/22); Departure 2:25 am
Washington, DC - Arrival 3:25 am (scheduled); Bus actually arrived 52 minutes late
It doesn't seem logical to expect Kevin, or anyone in his condition, to make all of these bus stops and transfers without significant assistance. With a schedule like that it's not surprising that he went missing somewhere along this route.

IIRC, supposedly Kevin was seen getting on the bus in Charleston, WV, but after that there was no further confirmed sighting of him.

"Kevin Flythe was driven from FCI Gilmer, located in Glenville, WV, to the Charleston, WV Greyhound bus station."

They drove him 100 miles south to put him on a northbound bus.
While this situation is far from humorous, I couldn’t help but laugh at your observation. I’m originally from WV and this absurd logic is not a surprise. It’s absolutely heartbreaking that they left this vulnerable young man to navigate his way home all alone. I can’t remember how long it said he was in prison but I’m sure it can be overwhelming to anyone being released after an extended time, especially, someone in Kevin’s condition.

While this situation is far from humorous, I couldn’t help but laugh at your observation. I’m originally from WV and this absurd logic is not a surprise. It’s absolutely heartbreaking that they left this vulnerable young man to navigate his way home all alone. I can’t remember how long it said he was in prison but I’m sure it can be overwhelming to anyone being released after an extended time, especially, someone in Kevin’s condition.

I grew up an hour's drive from where I live now in WV. One day recently it occurred to me to look at a map and see how far apart my hometown and current residence actually are, and it's only 13 miles as the crow flies. lol

You're right, none of this is all that surprising. Everyone's overworked, under-trained and underpaid, and it's eroding our ability to give a damn about others.

This entire scenario is most regrettable and unfortunate. If the family, or their attorney, had been officially notified by the prison BEFORE Kevin was scheduled to be released, then this entire situation would likely have been avoided.

I don't think authorities are putting much, if any, resources into adult missing persons cases these days.

Perhaps some people who live nearby some of these bus stops could go over or call? It would be helpful to know what would theoretically happen if a person wandered off at each particular stop. What the town looks like, is the bus station busy, large, etc.

It may give the family more to go on.

I truly cannot believe that this still seems unresolved. I wish more people with influence would get involved with this case. *My opinions
Agreed. I've seen no recent updates in MSM, so at this point we don't know what may have happened to Kevin or where he might be.

We don't know for a fact that he even made it onto the first bus. In one of my earlier posts I linked to this MSM report indicating 'someone ' said they saw Kevin boarding the first bus:

[...]
While Flythe's relative initially stated in the Facebook post that Greyhound told the family he never used his ticket, Madill received an update from the contracting bus company, Barons Bus. “Barons Bus says the ticket was used, and someone at the station says they saw Kevin get on the bus,” says Madill. “…We now think he did, in fact, get on the bus in Charleston.”
[...]

Stroke Victim 'Dumped' By Prison Guards At Bus Stop, Massive Search Launched: Attorney - NewsBreak

Regardless of whether Kevin was on the first bus or not, this entire situation is both inexcusable and avoidable. No idea how any prison management could logically expect anyone with these physical and cognitive issues to handle this type of situation without supervision. At the very least FCI Gilmer officials should have contacted his family or lawyer BEFORE he was released. MOO

How are there not cctv videos from the first bus station where we know Kevin was dropped off? There should be cameras inside and I would think outside where people board the buses. If he did indeed get on the first bus, and got off at the second stop, the same applies. Are there no cameras, or the videos have not been looked at? I can’t believe this is unsolved. I would think with Kevin’s physical limitations people would notice him more, if that makes sense? Someone somewhere has to have seen him. Sadly many people might remember him but don’t know he’s gone missing.
All MOO

Unfortunately, it is common for releasing offender who do not have family that are able to come pick them up from the releasing facility to be taken to the nearest Greyhound bus station with a ticket and trust fund money/check in hand. Our facility does it on the regular. Now, mind you, none of the gentleman that have been been released from the facilities I have worked in and taken to a bus station had Medical issues such as this man. The case managers here are very diligent in arranging for a safe release. I am confounded though as to why, based on available information, ANYONE thought this was a safe release plan. Hopefully he is found safe.

Hopefully he is found safe.

Well, yes.

But he went missing almost 3 months ago. I was hoping we'd hear something within 3 days.

Where would he have gone? Surely someone would have tried to help, or called the police to help him.

I like to think he has been found, and it just hasn't been updated or reported.

Because, that's the only outcome my head and my heart can take.

I am pleased to see others here.

The terrible quality photo they are using is a disgrace, also. How could anyone know if they had seen him??? Are we really to believe that blurry photo is the only one the prison had in all those years? Or are they refusing to cooperate by offering up a photo?

My hope and best wishes are with Kevin.

*My opinions.

He went to jail for murder (strangulation). Articles say he grew up with a paralyzed arm. I assume it would be difficult to strangle a grown healthy man with only one arm. I wonder how fair his trial was.

With that said, I wonder if family or friends of the murdered victim got a heads up?

Was he afraid to go back? Did he have any corespondance with people in jail he might go to?

He went to jail for murder (strangulation). Articles say he grew up with a paralyzed arm. I assume it would be difficult to strangle a grown healthy man with only one arm. I wonder how fair his trial was.

With that said, I wonder if family or friends of the murdered victim got a heads up?

Was he afraid to go back? Did he have any corespondance with people in jail he might go to?
I read in one of the links above that attempts to contact the victim’s family prior to Kevin’s release were unanswered. Now, who knows if those attempts actually happened. Was a lettter sent? Just phone calls? Messages left on answering machine?

I read in one of the links above that attempts to contact the victim’s family prior to Kevin’s release were unanswered. Now, who knows if those attempts actually happened. Was a lettter sent? Just phone calls? Messages left on answering machine?
Unanswered or left on VM?
I dont expect you to know, just wondering

Was in prison for murder - what are the circumstances? Was anyone related to Kevin's victim notified of his release? Someone may have wanted revenge

From the article:

Prosecutors said in court filings they tried to contact family of the victim, McClure, in advance of court hearings regarding Flythe’s release but did not receive a response. The Washington Post could not reach McClure’s family to seek comment.

Royster said she never wanted to learn the “full details” of the night Flythe, then 24 years old, strangled another man, and she contends that he acted on behalf of others if he committed the crime at all. A jury, however, ultimately found Flythe guilty of robbing and killing a 47-year-old named Paul McClure. A judge sentenced him to a minimum of 35 years behind bars.

I would be interested in knowing more about the murder of Paul McClure. There doesn't seem to be much about it online.

How are there not cctv videos from the first bus station where we know Kevin was dropped off? There should be cameras inside and I would think outside where people board the buses. If he did indeed get on the first bus, and got off at the second stop, the same applies. Are there no cameras, or the videos have not been looked at? I can’t believe this is unsolved. I would think with Kevin’s physical limitations people would notice him more, if that makes sense? Someone somewhere has to have seen him. Sadly many people might remember him but don’t know he’s gone missing.
All MOO
@Limecat I agree about the CCTV situation. Per earlier posts in this thread, other WS members indicated there are least some security cameras at these bus terminals. I have not seen any MSM references indicating Kevin was seen on video at these bus terminals. If he was in fact seen on video then I've missed those reports.

Kevin was reportedly last seen on 27 January at the Greyhound bus station in Charleston, WV. He was supposed to get on a bus at 9:50AM, but we do not know with absolute certainty that Kevin actually boarded the bus. The MSM reports indicate his ticket was used, but I haven't seen any official confirmation that Kevin himself used the ticket. It seems logical that the bus driver or other passengers would recall seeing a man in Kevin's condition onboard the bus in Charleston, but I've seen no reports about that.

I did a quick search but couldn't find any MSM reports of Kevin being found, so apparently he is still missing.

His laywer has a FB account but I cannot see that content. Perhaps there is more information available there?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back