WV - NEAL FALLS, suspected SK - LE seeking link to murders in IL, NV and OR

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This link gives a DOB from 1949-1954 for the I-70 killer. The comments are interesting.

http://unsolved.com/archives/i-70-serial-killer

Then this link states the killer is mid 20's-early 30's.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Interstate_70_Killer

I do see a resemblance between the composite and NF though and he would have been in his early 20's at the time of the I-70 murders. Not sure of NF's ht. but inferred from comments by coworkers at Hoover Dam on FB that he was a small man and the ht of the I 70 killer is 5'7"-5'9" so the ht fits. The hair color is similar also.

One other thing that has been bothering me about NF is he appears to have a messed up left eye and a redness to the left side of his face. Has anyone else noticed this? Anyway, One of the comments at the first link I posted mentioned the I-70 killer had a messed up eye. Here's a link with a pick of NF.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...er-may-have-slain-a-serial-killer-police-say/

MOO

The first link does have very interesting comments. In fact, the very first comment took the words right out of my mouth. The hair of the man in the composite sketch looks identical to the composite sketch of the murdered girl in Michigan that was discussed upthread here. The resemblance to Falls is pretty strong. The descriptions of this person's alleged behavior and weirdness seems similar to how the prostitutes in W.V. described Falls as acting before he attempted to murder Heather.

About his messed up eye.....could that be due to his dental issues? I remember reading earlier that while he worked at Hoover Dam, he was not usually put around the public because of his poor dental hygiene (one reason, anyway). At the time of his death he had dentures. So when these murders occurred, as well as his time working at the H.D., he would have had continuing dental issues. Wondering if he had issues with abcesses, etc that would make his face red and puffy.

I realize that no composite sketch is entirely accurate but take a look at this first link. It is a larger version of the I-70 killer than I posted earlier. See the lazy eye?
http://livingkansascity.blogspot.com/2012/06/twenty-years-after-puzzling-murder-i-70.html

Here's NF pic...same lazy eye.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...er-may-have-slain-a-serial-killer-police-say/

Here's a link to the page with the composite for the suspect in Jessica H's case. (I've never seen eyebrows like this on a human)
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ringa-25-Norton-Shores-26-April-2013-1/page70

All have the same square jaw, and general features. I'm not saying NF was involved in either of these cases at this point in time until we get a better timeline of his movements but it is intriguing to consider. The thing that strikes me most is the similarity of the I-70 composite(s) and the suspect in JH's case.

WRT, NF's dentures, he woudn't wear his lowers at work and that's why he was fired from HD from my understanding. The lowers aren't as stable as the uppers even with denture glue. Nowadays, the dentist can drill implants into the patient's lower gums and the dentures snap in but it is expensive. My Grandmother's lowers would pop out of her mouth if she coughed so maybe NF had the same problem.

Ghostl8y, a severe upper tooth abcess can cause swelling to spread to the eye area. I wish we knew when the one pic we have of NF was taken, is it a DL pic or an ID pic from HD? Either way, I suspect the pic is post dentures w/o his lowers based on the indentation between the lower lip and chin area.

All jmo, of course.

I wish there were more photos of NF in the media. I'd especially be curious to see some of when he was younger. If NF would have been in his 20's when the I-70 killer was active, perhaps an old yearbook photo (which sometimes can be accessed, I hope) from whatever high school he went to might shed some light on what his hair style may have been.

I wish there were more photos of NF in the media. I'd especially be curious to see some of when he was younger. If NF would have been in his 20's when the I-70 killer was active, perhaps an old yearbook photo (which sometimes can be accessed, I hope) from whatever high school he went to might shed some light on what his hair style may have been.

Great idea Ghost lady. Perhaps one of our super sleuths has a membership to one of the classmates or HS yearbook pic sites and can do some digging in the OR area. I'm with you, I'd like to see more pics of him through the years. It almost seems like the pic in the MSM is the only time NF had his picure taken. :gaah:

This link gives a DOB from 1949-1954 for the I-70 killer. The comments are interesting.

http://unsolved.com/archives/i-70-serial-killer

Then this link states the killer is mid 20's-early 30's.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Interstate_70_Killer

I do see a resemblance between the composite and NF though and he would have been in his early 20's at the time of the I-70 murders. Not sure of NF's ht. but inferred from comments by coworkers at Hoover Dam on FB that he was a small man and the ht of the I 70 killer is 5'7"-5'9" so the ht fits. The hair color is similar also.

One other thing that has been bothering me about NF is he appears to have a messed up left eye and a redness to the left side of his face. Has anyone else noticed this? Anyway, One of the comments at the first link I posted mentioned the I-70 killer had a messed up eye. Here's a link with a pick of NF.

MOO

GREAT OBSERVATION re- Neal's eye!!!!! I noticed the height fit and so forth but not the eye -though I read that. All the states I-70 killed in are states NMF is being investigated in. I also think he did the three Texas killings a year later (that have been possibly linked) including the Ft Worrh antique store that was minutes from where the police in Benbrook, TX stopped him last month two weeks before Heather shot him. YES nine siblings who know he's off and who all know (subliminally or actually) that he is a serial killer. I hope the FBI have been astute enough to interview each and everyone of them at length.
Also MOST INTERESTING is the revelation about the fact that polishing rouge/ jeweler's rough was on the bullets- revealed later, I'll post link.
BETTING THEY CONNECT NEAL OCCUPATIONALLY FROM EARLY 90s to that fact. Want to see a c.1990 photo of him. CAN ANYONE FIND A HIGH SCHOOL/ YEARBOOK PHOTO OF HIM??? Then we could compare better to I-70 sketch.

http://www.stcharlescrimestoppers.org/unsolved.aspx

Here is a link which describes evidence released about the I-70 killer. His brothers may know if NMF owned this type of gun suggested and whether he had access to polishing/buffing equipment. If that material on the bullets of I-70 was indeed red jeweler's rouge there may be a clearer link between NMF and I-70. I'm also a bit freaked out about NMF's oddness/ fettish portrayal as a woman on Facebook etc. because I-70 was clearly a "Woman Hater/ Thrill Killer" per police observation at the time and he didn't rape. Did NMF progress to raping and killing or did he just kill/ dismember and such? I hope his siblings will voluntarily go to the FBI with everything they know if they haven't each been interviewed in depth yet. They could help so many distraught families find some peace/closure. Notice that not a single one of nine has stood up for NMF. Very telling indeed. He must have been a "black sheep" in this family.

image.jpgimage.jpg

14 minutes from where Mary Ann Glasscock was shot/murdered in September of 1993 in her shop Emporium Antiques, Ft. Worth, TX to where Neal Falls was pulled over/ videotaped by police in Benbrook, Texas July 2015.

http://www.stcharlescrimestoppers.org/unsolved.aspx

Here is a link which describes evidence released about the I-70 killer. His brothers may know if NMF owned this type of gun suggested and whether he had access to polishing/buffing equipment. If that material on the bullets of I-70 was indeed red jeweler's rouge there may be a clearer link between NMF and I-70. I'm also a bit freaked out about NMF's oddness/ fettish portrayal as a woman on Facebook etc. because I-70 was clearly a "Woman Hater/ Thrill Killer" per police observation at the time and he didn't rape. Did NMF progress to raping and killing or did he just kill/ dismember and such? I hope his siblings will voluntarily go to the FBI with everything they know if they haven't each been interviewed in depth yet. They could help so many distraught families find some peace/closure. Notice that not a single one of nine has stood up for NMF. Very telling indeed. He must have been a "black sheep" in this family.

Wow! You're on fire today, MarieA! I wonder if the corundum (industrial abrasive) and rouge (industrial polish) would be used in his dad's profession as a lumber mill chain operator. He didn't move to Greensburg until 1994 as a chain operator but I assume he had the same profession in OR? I'm gonna google for more specifics on uses for these products.

Based on the blitz attack NF put on Heather, I suspect he disables and chokes his victims before he rapes but I'm not sure if he even raped his victims. Or perhaps he raped after death and then dismembered.

Keep up the great work!

Note about the I-70 killer. In 2014, the St. Charles police department posted in several forums about the case, including the information about the materials found on the spent cartridges.

Here is one example:
http://www.handgunforum.net/general-semi-auto/40046-erma-werke-et-22-a.html

It included a point I was going to make:
All spent cartridges at crime scenes had the materials corundum and red rouge on them. The owner (or killer) may have used corundum and red rouge for fire lapping of the weapon, or may have used corundum and rouge in grinding, polishing, or machine shop work.

There was a company in that same timeframe that patented a commercial fire lapping product. That would make it more accessible to casual shooters. (There is a 1992 patent for the process to a Neco company that apparently still makes the product.)

The "lapping" is a method of making the gun more accurate. "Fire lapping" basically uses a cartridge covered with grit to smooth out the chamber/barrel. The residue from that process seems most likely to be what transferred those materials to the cases.

I also agree that there are enough similarities between NMF and the I-70 composite to include him as a possible suspect.

Corundum.....Yikes I have a large vase of these little gems from when Mr wm and I go spelunking for crystals and petrified wood out west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corundum

Because of corundum's hardness (pure corundum is defined to have 9.0 Mohs), it can scratch almost every other mineral. It is commonly used as an abrasive on everything from sandpaper to large machines used in machining metals, plastics, and wood.

rouge.....uses include polishing various metals, plastic, rubber and wood.

http://www.pjtool.com/jewelers-rouge-chart.aspx

Well I've learned something new today!

Note about the I-70 killer. In 2014, the St. Charles police department posted in several forums about the case, including the information about the materials found on the spent cartridges.

Here is one example:
http://www.handgunforum.net/general-semi-auto/40046-erma-werke-et-22-a.html

It included a point I was going to make:

There was a company in that same timeframe that patented a commercial fire lapping product. That would make it more accessible to casual shooters. (There is a 1992 patent for the process to a Neco company that apparently still makes the product.)

The "lapping" is a method of making the gun more accurate. "Fire lapping" basically uses a cartridge covered with grit to smooth out the chamber/barrel. The residue from that process seems most likely to be what transferred those materials to the cases.

I also agree that there are enough similarities between NMF and the I-70 composite to include him as a possible suspect.

Thanks for sharing this info trexian. I am totally clueless when it comes to firearms. All I've ever shot is a bb gun and a shotgun back when I lived in the boonies years ago.

Good thread for more info on the presence of those materials and firearms:
http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?21650-I-70-Killer-amp-the-Erma-Werke-ET-22

Here's a pic of an example of suspected gun that was used.
477123c5eb84da69fb75985241628061.jpg

A couple things to add. It would be somewhat odd, in my experience, for a 20 something to be worried about fire lapping a .22 pistol. Even if it is a long-barreled pistol. Almost makes me wonder if the dude borrowed/stole it from an older relative or something.

Along those same lines, a .22 is an odd choice IMHO - even for the early 90s - for a series of attacks like that. Makes me think he had no access to any other weapon.

Now I'm even more interested in the list of firearms that were supposedly stolen.

ETA:
Heya 1doc-

I've been trying to figure out why the police press reports suggested either an Intratec Scorpion or the Erme Werke. Can't find the twist rates, but those 2 pistols use different extractors and different bolt/firing pin mechanics. The marks on any cases seem like they'd be completely different. Or, if they're looking at the shape of the firing pin, the same as a couple dozen (at least) other firing pins. Plus, I can't be sure, but I think the Scorpion's firing pin is different than the E-W.

Sorry if this is derailing too far toward the I-70 instead of NMF. Just from my experience, if this NMF had "special" memories of a weapon he used in his early 20s, he'd either still have that firearm or a similar one.

Want to see a c.1990 photo of him. CAN ANYONE FIND A HIGH SCHOOL/ YEARBOOK PHOTO OF HIM??? Then we could compare better to I-70 sketch.

I took the info in the dad's obit, which lists them from being from Medford, Oregon. I figured that was a good starting point, although who knows....seems like the whole family has been all over the place. There are three high schools listed for Medford:

North Medford High School, Central Medford H.S., and South Medford H.S.

Must be a pretty large city to have that many high schools in it.
When I get the chance, I'm going to look on facebook to see if there's any Medford, Ore. pages or news pages. Maybe a former friend or classmate might have made a comment or link to articles about NF. Someone, somewhere must have either an old photo or yearbook with NF in it.

trexian, I just watched the Dark Minds episode on this case. All of the victims in IN, MO, & IN were shot in the back of the head at close range with the same gun. Is the .22 the reason he made sure he shot them at close range? Authorities released information on the ballistics, etc and he stopped for a while. The killings in TX with a different gun but same MO occurred. So it makes me wonder about those firearms NF reported stolen also.
There is a living victim in TX who should recognize NF if she saw his picture. Not everyone watches the news or follows crime forums like we do and the victim may not even know about NF. She is paralyzed and still has the bullet lodged in her spinal column and says it will stay there until she dies even though she knows LE would love to have it. (paraphrased)

My eye caught the airing date of the Dark Minds episode, 7-12-15. NF attack on Heather hit the news on 7-23-15. NF stated to Heather "I'm going to jail for a long time." Makes me wonder if he saw the episode. It was a good one and I learned some things from it but I'll comment on it later after I organize my notes. In the meantime, here's a link............gotta get busy round here. :)

[video=youtube;uJNuo0RozDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNuo0RozDM[/video]

I took the info in the dad's obit, which lists them from being from Medford, Oregon. I figured that was a good starting point, although who knows....seems like the whole family has been all over the place. There are three high schools listed for Medford:

Must be a pretty large city to have that many high schools in it.
When I get the chance, I'm going to look on facebook to see if there's any Medford, Ore. pages or news pages. Maybe a former friend or classmate might have made a comment or link to articles about NF. Someone, somewhere must have either an old photo or yearbook with NF in it.

You Rock! :yourock:

South Medford H.S. lists: Corey Falls, 1991 · Amy Falls, 1989 but no NF.

If anyone can narrow down his potential H.S. year date and potential location, we may be able to locate an image.

trexian, I just watched the Dark Minds episode on this case. All of the victims in IN, MO, & IN were shot in the back of the head at close range with the same gun. Is the .22 the reason he made sure he shot them at close range? Authorities released information on the ballistics, etc and he stopped for a while. The killings in TX with a different gun but same MO occurred. So it makes me wonder about those firearms NF reported stolen also.

A .22 is a small round, so the closer the better. Usually. A decent .22 pistol would easily have an effective range of at least 10 yards. So, getting up close and personal would not be necessary.

But here's the thing - the Erma Werke pistol LE is talking about has an 11" barrel! That is an oddity. It would make a pistol fairly unwieldy and difficult to conceal, but more accurate at longer distances. And more likely to have an owner interested in lapping it.

The other pistol LE talks about, the Scorpion, would look familiar to anyone who watched Miami Vice or any other cop/spy show in the 80s and 90s - usually used by the bad guys. In fact, I think they made a battery powered squirt gun with a similar design.

Anyway, the Scorpion would be much easier to conceal and would be "cooler" to own back then.

Regarding his high school, isn't it possible he graduated from Greensburg, KS? That might be easier to either find or rule out, since it is probably smaller.

For those following up that thread, be on the lookout for an "BJ Ross" type names, too.

Sorry for the double post, but this is a different subtopic.

Looks like NMF's dad had a bit of history with LE.

Medford Mail
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/96912012/
November 12, 1958
Myrtle Creek Man Pleads Guilty - Ray O'Neal Falls, 30, Myrtle Creek, pleaded guilty in district court this afternoon to a charge of carrying a cancealed weapon. Sentencing was continued until Friday. Falls was arrested by Medford city police Tuesday at 9:45 p.m. at the Richfield Truck and Auto service, 2390 North Pacific highway, following a report that a man was causing a disturbance there. Police reported that the man was in the repair room of the building picking up cartridges from the floor and putting them into his pocket, when they arrived. When ordered out of the room by Patrolman Jack Sanders, Falls pulled a fully loaded .32 caliber automatic from his pocket and started to raise it. When Sanders drew his revolver Falls dropped the automatic into a trash barrel, according to police. Police said the automatic was fully loaded and cocked. Other ammunition was discovered by police in the Falls' automobile.

(Total aside, in another newspapers.com hit in the Medford Mail, it looks like Ray's mom filed to divorce his dad in 1955. The OCR is garbled but there's a match on his sister's name.)

I also re-looked at the timing. Gotta figure NMF graduated in 86-88, which appears to be before Ray moved to Greensburg.

ETA.

Wow.

An Indiana connection, possibly.

So, get this. Google search: "site:newspapers.com medford 'neal falls'" and one of the links is:
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/41790587/

Kokomo Tribune, August 17, 1953 - apologies for the garbled OCR, but the important parts come through.
EImore Falls, 25, 319 S: Main' St., : met, death', early Sunday morning; when he was hit by a Monon train on a spur track at Lafayette. ' Bonj -Feb. 28,1928, in Keys, Okla., Falls was the son of Mr. and Mrs. O'Neal' Falls. He had'lived Jn Ko- komo"tw.o year,'! and \yas employed at.the.Haynea Stellite Rolling Mill. He was a member of the Coiirtland Avenue Church: of Christ. He served in the Navy three year* before coming to -Kokomo. Be tra* married Jan. 3d, 1950, to Claire Windier, who survives ».wlth the parents, a son Gerry; three brothers, Ray of Kokomo, Verl of Medford, Ore., and Otis of St. Louii; two sifters, Mrs. Lovadell Davis of St Charles, MO., and Miss Verda June Falls of St. Louis, and several nieces and nephews.

The obit lists:
a brother, Otis, California; two sisters; Lovadell French and Verda June Bray, both of Oak Harbor, Wash.

It also starts to paint an overall family tree with links to Indiana, St. Louis (centrally located along the suspected highways) and Medford.

By the way, Kokomo is not particularly near Butler, Indiana. But, it may mean some cousins or other relations are here.

Plagiarism alert - pulled from everybody's posts

Charleston WV - July 18 2015 assault
Benbrook TX - July 7 2015 ticket
Louisville KY - Oct 2013 ticket
Springfield, Oregon (last known address) dates?
Eugene OR - 2010 - 2011 residence
Butler Indiana 2001 Gun permit issued Dec 2001
Henderson NV 2000 - 2008 residence
Albany, Oregon (1998 - ?)
Lebanon, Oregon (1996-1999) Hunting/fishing licenses issued there in 1997 and 1998.
Klamath Falls, Oregon (1990-1992)
Coos Bay, Oregon (1990s)

Bumping up stillwatersc's plagiarism alert :shame: from page 9 of NF known addresses. Perhaps look for addresses in Ray O'Neal Fall's name in these areas?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back