GUILTY WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This article only listed 2 of the 8 witnesses that testified.

and this article I can't access. Does it have any witnesses names besides West Virginia State Police Cpl. F.H. Edwards & Denise Deaver, McCauley’s former partner.

Sorry to be such a bother - but would like to keep up with my notes. TIA! :)

Trial starts for man accused of murdering 15-year-old Riley Crossman

McCauley trial finishes Day 2 after eight more witnesses - this is the most thorough reporting of the trial that I have found.

Chantel Oakley - Mother
Morgan County Sheriff Cpt. Tim Stapleton - did first search of RC's bedroom
RC's brother
AM's mother
Luke Shambaugh - Lead Detective
Donna Walter - wife of Johnnie who CO called around 5am
Johnnie Walter - was on the job with AM when he left abruptly with the truck
Denise Deaver - AM's ex
West Virginia State Police Sgt. J.D. See - the lead of the search warrant of Crossman’s home and the search warrant of the truck
WVSP Cpl. F.H. Edwards - conducted 5/10 interview with AM

There was another witness yesterday that was from the child crimes division but I can't remember her name and can't find it.

Today's witnesses were the K9 handler so far, Luke Shambaugh, the witness who saw AM in the truck (who was a previous magistrate in Berkeley Springs).

I forget how small of a town Berkeley Springs is. Witness and bailiff related. Another witness knows the same officer who was lead and just called him directly to report seeing AM in the truck.

It is a very small town. I'm somewhat of a local because my family lives in the area (I still visit frequently), and I lived there for ~10 years. I won't post any of the local gossip here because I think it's against the rules, but these people all know each other. I'm not convinced that the whole truth will come out in this trial.

It is a very small town. I'm somewhat of a local because my family lives in the area (I still visit frequently), and I lived there for ~10 years. I won't post any of the local gossip here because I think it's against the rules, but these people all know each other. I'm not convinced that the whole truth will come out in this trial.

Agreed on all counts.

Some comments seem to indicate that things are not exactly as reported. Is anyone able to say, in their own opinion, what may be off?

I am of the opinion that AM is likely guilty, but that others know more, or have more involvement than they are letting on. And they all know each other, so they will all cover for each other. Aside from the police, most of the witnesses have been difficult, or even hostile. I won't mention any gossip, because it's not verified, and could be interpreted as sleuthing others than the defendant, but these people ALL know each other, some are even related to each other. CO's, (the mother), mother (Riley's grandmother) was a magistrate at the time all of this went down. The step-grandfather who testified, who admitted to being a drug dealer was/is married to the grandmother. The house Riley lived in was demolished not long after the murder. Like I said, I think AM is most likely guilty, but I seriously doubt the whole truth will ever come out.

I am of the opinion that AM is likely guilty, but that others know more, or have more involvement than they are letting on. And they all know each other, so they will all cover for each other. Aside from the police, most of the witnesses have been difficult, or even hostile. I won't mention any gossip, because it's not verified, and could be interpreted as sleuthing others than the defendant, but these people ALL know each other, some are even related to each other. CO's, (the mother), mother (Riley's grandmother) was a magistrate at the time all of this went down. The step-grandfather who testified, who admitted to being a drug dealer was/is married to the grandmother. The house Riley lived in was demolished not long after the murder. Like I said, I think AM is most likely guilty, but I seriously doubt the whole truth will ever come out.

From what I have seen from the prosecution so far, I can see him being convicted on the concealment of a body charge but I have seen reasonable doubt in the murder charge. And although I would fight tooth and nail to be in the court room the whole time if I was in the position, CO was subject to recall from the defense so why is she allowed to be in the courtroom?

I'm interested in seeing what the defense does next week. CO has already been contradicted with the repeated comment of her getting up at 717am but then DW said CO called her at 5am. I'm very confused on that one.

Thursday, Sept. 30th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ am ET) - WV – Riley Grace Crossman (15) (reported missing May 8, 2019, Berkeley Springs; found May 16, 2019, near Tuscarora Pike in Berkeley County) - *Andrew (“Andy”) Jackson McCauley, Jr. (41/now 43) (mom’s BF) arrested & charged (5/16/19) & indicted (1/7/20) & re-indicted (6/17/21) with 1st degree murder, concealment of a deceased human body & felony charge of death of a child by a custodian by child abuse. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 4/26/21. Jury selection began on 4/16 & jurors will be from Morgan County. Jury: 12 jurors & 2 alternates. These jurors will be let go & a new jury will be selected. First trial was cancelled due to COVID.
Trial began on 9/27/21. Jury selection started & finished on 9/17/21. Juror will come from Jefferson County & transported to the Morgan County courthouse. Trial expected to last 2 weeks.

Court info from 5/16/19 thru 8/19/21 & jury selection (9/17/21) & trial 9/27/21 (Day 1) reference post #638 here:
Found Deceased - WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

9/28/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 2: Chantel Oakley, Riley's mother. Morgan County Sheriff Cpt. Tim Stapleton did first search of RC's bedroom. RC's brother. AM's mother. Luke Shambaugh, Lead Detective. Donna Walter. wife of Johnnie who CO called around 5am. Johnnie Walter was on the job with AM when he left abruptly with the truck. Denise Deaver, AM's ex. West Virginia State Police Sgt. J.D. See, the lead of the search warrant of Crossman’s home & the search warrant of the truck. WVSP Cpl. F.H. Edwards conducted 5/10 interview with AM. No name for child crimes division. Trial continues on 9/29/21.
9/29/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 3: Luke Shambaugh, K9 handler. The witness who saw AM in the truck (who was a previous magistrate in Berkeley Springs). State should be finished by Friday. No other info available. Trial continues on 9/30/21.

Lived here my entire life. Nothing is gonna happen to CO or DD. The local law doesn't want to have to revisit DDs cases. She was ruling on cases of drug use and neglect in the care of children, up until she lost her seat. This is a big dog and pony show, the prosecutor is either a fool or intentionally disregarding all of the contradictory info from CO and other stories not adding up. He's not going to go down for murder, three days in and not one shred of evidence shown. This case was denied change of venue so that no outside parties could look into DD or CO.

Thank you @ericasf for those updated witnesses. Do you recall who the other witnesses were besides the K9 handler & the person who saw him in the truck?

TIA! :)

Jury hears about discovery of victim on Day 3 of Andy McCauley trial

List of witnesses from trial (updating as we go)
Chantel Oakley - Mother
Don Morgan - friend of both AM and CO
Morgan County Sheriff Cpt. Tim Stapleton - did first search of RC's bedroom
RC's brother
Bobby Golden
Christopher McCauley - AM's nephew?
Brenda Lee - AM's mother
Luke Shambaugh - Lead Detective
Donna Walter - wife of Johnnie who CO called around 5am
Johnnie Walter - was on the job with AM when he left abruptly with the truck
Denise Deaver - AM's ex
West Virginia State Police Sgt. J.D. See - the lead of the search warrant of Crossman’s home and the search warrant of the truck (testified twice so far)
WVSP Cpl. F.H. Edwards - conducted 5/10 interview with AM
Brandy Eggman - K9 handler (dog's name is Rock)
Deborah Clavette - She was the one who saw his truck

Today is supposed to be medical experts. State said at close yesterday that they expected to be wrapped up by Friday afternoon.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you. My husband is from BS and when we started dating we had to deal with some of the govt type agencies there and when he would tell me how it works, I was flabbergasted! And he wasn't wrong, it's all about who you know in that town. I remember reading through the evidence on this and I remember things didn't add up. CO called DD a bunch of times in a row in that night. How was she in the house all that time and didn't see anything? Didn't notice the blood? Didn't notice that RC didn't have sheets on her bed? I was hoping to hear some answers during the trial but not one question regarding those things. I've watched the whole trial since day 1. This isn't the justice that RC deserves.

Lived here my entire life. Nothing is gonna happen to CO or DD. The local law doesn't want to have to revisit DDs cases. She was ruling on cases of drug use and neglect in the care of children, up until she lost her seat. This is a big dog and pony show, the prosecutor is either a fool or intentionally disregarding all of the contradictory info from CO and other stories not adding up. He's not going to go down for murder, three days in and not one shred of evidence shown. This case was denied change of venue so that no outside parties could look into DD or CO.

From what I have seen from the prosecution so far, I can see him being convicted on the concealment of a body charge but I have seen reasonable doubt in the murder charge. And although I would fight tooth and nail to be in the court room the whole time if I was in the position, CO was subject to recall from the defense so why is she allowed to be in the courtroom?

I'm interested in seeing what the defense does next week. CO has already been contradicted with the repeated comment of her getting up at 717am but then DW said CO called her at 5am. I'm very confused on that one.

Usually you arw not allowed to watch the trial if you are a potential witness, so I wonder too, why she can now watch since she is subject to recall as you say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back