WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Granddaughter,

Does Sylvia have the picture that was sent to Jennie that was supposedly Louis? If not, does she know who has it or even if it is still around?

Granddaughter said:
Hello all. My mom is Sylvia, the youngest Sodder child. I’ve been reading your posts for several months. Since my mom doesn’t have access to the Internet at home, I printed all the messages in this thread for her to read. She’s very impressed by your interest and dedication to resolving the disappearance of her brothers and sisters. She asked that I pass on the following message to you.

My mom is willing to answer any questions she can that you might have. Mom has been sorting through her records and photos to assemble the information she has related to her siblings’ disappearance. She will share it with Websleuths as soon as possible. We’ll find an easy way to disseminate the information to you.

Jonathan, in that regard, Mom hopes that you found the suitcases of information on the missing children that your grandfather (John) collected from Mama's (Jennie Sodder’s) house after her death. Mom tried to call you several times before Christmas, but you must have been busy with school. She’ll try to call you again tomorrow.

Since Mom was only three when the fire occurred, she grew up watching her parents mourn the loss of their children and work diligently to bring them home. When she grew up and married, she and my father helped my grandparents continue the search. My grandparents loved each other and their children deeply. Mom and Dad took us to my grandparents’ house every Christmas Eve, staying late into the night so they would not be alone. We always returned to their home on Christmas day. You have all worked hard to be careful of the family’s feelings, and we appreciate that effort.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks Granddaughter, Sylvia, and Jonathan for posting. I had serious doubts about posting anything at first, because I was afraid that one day you would read the posts and be upset. I have been interested in this case most of my life and more seriously in recent years. I have carried the Bragg book around and shared it with others in hopes that some one would say something to make me think the Sodder family was wrong in believing the children never died in the fire. As I believe they did not die in the fire, my friends reaffirmed it.

There is one thing I can say that this has accomplished. Several years ago I put George Sodder in my search engine and nothing but the post about alien abduction came up. Now we can find pictures, stories, questions, and posts all over the web. If someone out there knows the truth, I hope one day they find it in their hearts to come forward. Sometimes, it just takes one person to come forward and a whole "army" will follow to tell their story too.

I think for much too long this tragedy has been shrouded in mystery....I don't think your family could have been totally wrong about everything as some would have us believe.

Hi all. Mom is looking to see if she has a copy of the photo suspected to be Louis. She doesn't believe that she has a copy, but she is continuing to look as she has some papers which belonged to my aunt Marion (Mary Ann).

Early in this thread, there was a question about Michael. He was the infant son born to George and Jennie Sodder in 1951. He died just after birth.

There was also a question why Mom was in her parents' room on the night of the fire. Her crib was in my grandparents' room, and she slept there every night. This was common practice at that time.

I'll post more when time permits. By the way, I know that the username "Granddaughter" is awkward in these posts. My name is Jennie, and I've been trying to avoid confusing you since I have the same name as my Mama Sodder and my missing aunt.

Hi, Jennie! In an article Shadow205 found from the '60s, its mentioned that about 3 months after the fire your mom found a round object, like a rubber ball, with a screw-on cap near where the house had been. The article states that George was told by military authorities that this was a "napalm bomb". Does she have any recollection of this?

I just got around to checking the listing I have made on WCMo_Org.
Looks like I have gotten two responses.
One from a Rebecca thanking me for the posting, LOL, and one was from Jon.
Hi Jon :D.

Anyone a member at craigslist.com? Is there a way to post them on there?
I understand craigs list has gotten popular in some parts of the country.

Ok, I was a little confused. I have posted the Sodders at missingusa.net
http://members.boardhost.com/JohnsonCo/

But, since there is a least a slim possibility that there may be some international ties on these children, I am wondering if the kids shouldn't be posted at this international site I found. They allow pictures to be added, and I don't have one. So I haven't posted them. But I do think it would be a good idea to post them here.
This is the main site:
http://www.wmco.org/usa.shtml
And this is the page for entering a report:
http://www.wmco.org/report/engelsrep.html

These are just suggestions, but since it wasn't clear that Janutolo was investigated, I would start there. It's close to home, and he was the only one I could find who had a clear motive (although not a real compelling one, but still). It is odd that they didn't at least talk to the guy.

I would also make a list of everyone who participated in the search the next morning, and anyone else who was there, stopped by, etc., and talk to them about what they saw. I learned over and over when writing my last book, time sometimes help. People who were reluctant to talk then might be willing to talk now. If they are not alive talk to spouses or children. People usually have to tell someone. It's very hard to keep a secret and they will at least tell a spouse, or their oldest child (years later).

Since George Bragg is helping, I might suggest he be the one to talk to people. Some people might feel more inhibited talking to the family (regardless of what opinions they hold about what happened).

I didn't bring my file with names and notes with me to Durham, but I did send George Bragg the report that had most of the names of the people who were interviewed the the State Fire Marshall's office, and I know that George would share that with the family.

I could only get so far in the time I had and would love to see every angle pursued until an answer can be found.

Yeah! The good news is that Mom found a copy of the photo of Louis. The bad news is that I can't get it to post here. I keep getting a message that there's a problem with the Websleuths webpage. So ... I'll keep trying.

Mom does recall finding the object in the yard near where her home burned. She describes it as oblong, greyish-green, and made of hard rubber. She does not recall it having a pin. She took it to her mother when she found it.

Granddaughter said:
Yeah! The good news is that Mom found a copy of the photo of Louis. The bad news is that I can't get it to post here. I keep getting a message that there's a problem with the Websleuths webpage. So ... I'll keep trying.

Mom does recall finding the object in the yard near where her home burned. She describes it as oblong, greyish-green, and made of hard rubber. She does not recall it having a pin. She took it to her mother when she found it.

To post a photo, I use photobucket.com. Just sign up. I save my photos to "my Photos", I think it's a program that came with my computer. Then when you use photo bucket you click on the browse button and click on my photos, or where ever you saved it to, then click submit. It takes a minute to upload it depending on the speed of your server. Then once it's uploaded you click on the IMG format on the bottom. Highlight it, then right click copy, then come here and do a new post, then click on the image above the post that looks like a stamp with a mountain on it. that should bring up a link where you can paste your IMG. Maybe someone can put it better than me, but try that. If you can't get it to work you could maybe e-mail it to someone here to post it for you. I'd be willing to try. PM me if you need help.

Jennie, Does your grandmother remember the detective magazine that came out in 1967 regarding the Sodder family mystery? Someone posted a contact person to get in touch with that has copies of old detective magazines. I wrote him and he wrote me back that he was familiar with the detective magazine and the story and would let me know if he found a copy of it.

Did Sylvia ever hear her mother mention that she saw a car with a woman in it a few days before the fire that seemed to be watching the house,
but thought nothing of it at the time (because the fire hadn't happened)? I read that somewhere and I think it was in the detective magazine. I was wondering if your mother had heard that story from her mother. I don't think I am remembering incorrectly but I can't find a copy of the detective magazine to read it again.

Also, I hope you get the picture posted. It would be the only link to the children if it is actually Louis. Did anyone check out students in Charleston at that time since the lady said she seen the children in Charleston after the fire, and a year later saw Louis. I don't think she was lying; however, it could have been someone else. It would be great to have yearbooks or something from the Charleston area at that time. If the woman was right (officials say she wasn't a credible witness)?? then Louis would have gone to school somewhere in the area. Were there in Catholic schools in Charleston at the time?

Thanks!

Here's the photo (thanks, Gardenmom and Shadow205!):

Photols.jpg
[/IMG]

louis200.jpg

Photols.jpg

Well here is the comparison. My goodness, sure looks like it could be Louis to me. Anybody have any connections to someone who does age progression that could take a look at these?

With Jonathan and Jennie on board here, is it time to try for a Doe Network entry? They have folks who could work on the progression.

I am amazed. Took the two pictures and compared them side by side. It is amazing how much the two people look alike right down to their ears. The eyebows are shaped alike-young Louis's look a little heavier than the older. But that may be the pictures. I think it is time for age progression, too. I'm kind of shocked as to how much these two people look alike. Someone did a good job of hoaxing this if it's not Louis. Love to hear everyone else's comments that haven't posted yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416