Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I was in GTNP was about 40 years ago when I was in college. We had to get road maps from AAA, trail maps from the NFS headquarters, and throw a few bucks in the honesty boxes at the campgrounds. It was much harder to find things without Dyrt/AllTrails etc, yet there were far fewer people to compete with for the space. I am so grateful I had the opportunities I did as a young person to backpack through the national parks back then. I feel kind of bad for the young people today trying to be influencers or youtubers or whatever.

The Spread Creek dispersed campground makes a lot of sense as a search area for Gabby:

1. It's listed as one of the camp areas G & B were considering on their Dyrt account (on their "Near Yellowstone" list)

2. Two local men out spotting elk told a reporter they saw a van like Gabby's on August 29 at the Spread Creek campground
"KSL’s Garna Mejia actually ran into a local man who said he and a friend saw Petito’s van as they were spotting for elk on Aug. 29.
“He thought he had seen the white sprinter van described — blacked out rims, wheels,” said Tyler Valentine. “We all live in this small town, so when this stuff happens, we all take a little bit of initiative and try to look out for things.”
What’s interesting about Spread Creek is that Petito had marked the place as a possible camping area through the Dyrt website, something Valentine and his friend were unaware of when we spoke with them."
Search intensifies for Gabby Petito; police respond to Laundrie home in Florida

3. It's within hiking distance of both Colter Bay (15 mi) and Jackson Dam (10 mi) - 2 places we know Brian was on August 29.

4. Also, when I looked at a map it occurred to me that Brian may have gotten anxious and asked to get out suddenly from the TikTok girl's jeep for a different reason. Driving south from Colter Bay toward Jackson, there's a fork in road near the dam - it appears that the jeep driver took the park road instead of the highway (191). If Brian was trying to get back to the Spread Creek campground where the van was parked, he wanted to go on 191, because that's the road which leads to the turn off to the campground. So as soon as the driver took the right turn on the park road, instead of 191, Brian freaked out and asked to get out. And where was he? The Jackson Dam area.
Goodness, the images are frightening. I sure hope she’s not in that water.
The Jackson Lake Dam and Creating a Community | Intermountain Histories

I wonder if the police have searched the storage facility where BL and his father went and cleared it out when he flew home. Did they look at the security footage to see what occurred there? If not, they need to do it now!
I know people have said he wouldn't have driven back here with her body but anything is possible and if so, would he place her there? Could she have been alive for part of the trip he drove back to FL or dead in the back of the van? I think anything is possible in this case.
JMO MOO IMO

That is a horrible thought but I think it's possible. I'm sure a capable police department would have checked out the storage facility. But these guys . . . not sure. They seem more concerned with emphasizing that there is no crime, just two missing people. A sense of urgency so far has been missing. Until today, maybe. But for Gabby it's probably too late.

I don't think people are trying to be "sweet about Brian" I think some people are trying to be more open-minded that not everything is what we think it is, and that it is wholly inappropriate to start diagnosing him. He's made himself the villain and because of that, it seems like a lot of people are throwing in their own diagnoses, opinions, and judgments and using their personal experiences to justify it. It doesn't help Gabby nor is it fair to try and define either of them or their relationship.
Very well put.

Is it possible that "hip belt" is just another way to describe a "fanny pack"?
Just wonder if there are new flyers/postings of BL missing. If so, there should be a sketch and written info regarding what he looked like the last time he was seen. If the parents want him found safely, they should comply and cooperate. But...

Hello,

I am not even trying to play devil's advocate, but how do we *know* that he returned without her? We have this Sept. 1st date that is only reported by the police, but how trustworthy is that? What is the source of that? The police and public really didn't get involved on this case until Sept. 11th / Sept. 12th after her family reported her missing.

All we really know about Sept. is that she hasn't reached out to her family right? Just trying to take a step back and see what is actually known. Police have been unusually reluctant to describe this case as a criminal investigation. I get that they don't have any hard evidence. It probably doesn't matter either way if they tell us they suspect something has run foul.

I personally suspect something has run foul, but I just am not sure I am ready to just accept that he showed up without her, yet. Something just makes me think there is another reason his family is acting the way they are acting.

I hope she is just being a brat towards her family and not communicating. I hope that she is in Florida, alive and that his parents are just as confused as everyone else about what is going on. I hope that these two kids are just acting out in unpredictable ways as they continue to try to paint a perfect image of themselves and perhaps just remain aloof in an effort to protect themselves from a situation that has quickly spiraled out of control. I hope.
You make a very good point, we do not know. However I'd bet huge that he did. I concede the point. We will see.

He didn’t cooperate because he knew she was dead probably by his own hands if he left a live Gabby he would have told them so he’s not faced with a murder charge but that is not the case.
Sadly it's looking like a possibility.

Even if he just left her stranded -- still not an honorable decision , but he could just say where !!
Her anguished, heartsick family.
I cannot imagine.
I know I'd struggle not to be extremely angry as well.
Imo.

Speculation:

As our timeline is potentially narrowing (with people thinking they'd seen the van in Tetons on Aug 29), I'm starting to think that Gabby's plans to meet up with her friend on that day in Yellowstone might have been the proverbial "final straw" and a potential source of contention between the two.

Her friend obviously didn't care much for BL, and if he really had, in the past, taken away GP's ID to keep her from going out with this friend, I could easily see a scenario where he could have again done something to prevent GP from meeting up with her friend that day. Was he out wandering around on his own that day (until around 6pm, according to the witness) because he knew she wouldn't leave for Yellowstone without him and he wanted to prevent her from meeting up with this friend? What sort of confrontation might they have had if he got back late, far past the time when GP would have been able to contact and meet her friend for her birthday? Especially if they were out of cell phone range, so GP couldn't even let her friend know why she hadn't been able to make it.

IMO, GP would be totally justified in getting upset at BL for something like that. But I hate to think of where that argument might have led.

MOO.

Colter Bay jumping out at Jackson Dam area Jenny Lake is south on another road off hwy 191... I think Not sure can walk that far.... I looked its 6 hour walking
Builder's post #309 on page 16 has a nice little map. Not sure everything is verified but seems so. Something to use at least as general reference. I can't post the pic of the map but it si post #309 page 16.

I'm truly enjoying the view that everyone has of Florida. Like panthers and alligators are wandering all over. Been here since '81 and haven't seen one gator out for a stroll, no panthers either. As for mosquitoes that's a whole nother story. Since human encroachment I rarely see a bear or deer or fox the past years. Personally if he's itching to death from mosquitoes and chiggers and sand fleas it's well deserved in my opinion. ;)
I was born and raised in Florida and still right here, I have however seen a gator in the woods across from my house, the boy next door was riding around with a small one on his 4 wheeler lol, heard a panther scream many of nights and your right snakes and mosquitoes are much worse but it all depends on where in Florida you live.

really?? Everyone that wants to be sweet about Brian, what is your theory about what’s happening here? I’m genuinely curious how anyone can think he’s sweet and loving and just happened to return home with his girlfriend’s van and no girlfriend and won’t answer any questions about it?!

edited to remove old question
Remember, there’s people in this world who think Chris Watts is a wonderful man and it was all her fault.

Just wonder if there are new flyers/postings of BL missing. If so, there should be a sketch and written info regarding what he looked like the last time he was seen. If the parents want him found safely, they should comply and cooperate. But...
Ita.
That's a big question.
He looked bearded in most photos.
Has he shaved now ?
Maybe wearing a hat or cap ?
Etc.
MOO.

What I noticed today was that ALL of the searchers for BL were wearing body armor and were armed when they are going to be searching in a swampy parkland with extreme heat and humidity. While searchers normally wear heavy boots and protective clothing and even carrying a gun is not that unusual in an area where there are panthers and alligators BUT body armor is not usually part of the attire unless they have reason to believe someone might shoot at them.
They need to be prepared for anything. LE said he was likely very agitated. We don't know that he has a gun, though.

This might help
Guns in Vehicles in Florida | Giffords.
Florida generally allows a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm within the interior of a private vehicle, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.1 Lawful firearm owners may lawfully carry a long gun anywhere in a private vehicle.2
I didn't see anything about leaving it in your car though.

Gabby called family near 'zone of death' where 'perfect murder' could happen

GABBY Petito's last contact with her family came when she was just miles from the so-called "zone of death" — an area of remote wilderness where a legal loophole has led some to believe a murderer could get away scot-free there.

RSBM

Although most of Yellowstone National Park falls into Wyoming State, some parts are located in Montana and Idaho — causing a loophole that could be exploited by criminals.

The zone of death is a 50-mile stretch of land in Yellowstone National Park.

Michigan State University law professor Brian C Kalt explains the area in his 2005 Georgetown Law Journal paper, known as The Perfect Crime.

Colter Bay jumping out at Jackson Dam area Jenny Lake is south on another road off hwy 191... I think Not sure can walk that far.... I looked its 6 hour walking
Are there as many bears there as in Yellowstone and GBNP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m00n_g0ddess