Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they really, truly, could not get a search warrant before they found her body, they should amend the VAWA to add a clause that says if one member of an intimate partnership goes missing, LE has probable cause to search their last known residence for information related to the missing person.

You can even say any evidence retrieved can only be used for a possible prosecution related to the missing person.

How many times has this happened now? Though based on the responses in other cases (Morphew, Frazee), it seems like this local LE just didn't act aggressively IMO.

I hope they can find some evidence, maybe a burner phone BL and his parents were using to communicate, or something. But with weeks to clean and destroy anything I wonder if they'll find anything. I also hope they can find any items Gabby's parents may have listed so those items can be returned to her family.
Does anyone know what an ECM kit is? Its what this agent is carrying
It's for evidence collection for all sorts of different things, not just for DNA but for a wide variety of evidence.

My opinion is that it is futile to make guesses in advance of the autopsy as to her “accidental” or “intentional” death. I’m sure BL’s friends would like to come up with all sorts of options where it could be accidental. Does he have friends? What do we even know about him? Was he married before? Any children? Past relationships? How did they turn out?

I just don’t understand the police not verifying with their own eyes Brian was in the home, especially as the week went on. He didn’t have to talk, just show his face. I guess someone should have called in a welfare check on him, then they would have been obligated to see him. Can you call in welfare checks anonymously?

He hadn’t been accused of anything and his family led the police to believe he was fine at home. At this point I’m not even entirely sure they didn’t mislead their attorney about that point. The police didn’t have anything to force him to show his face over. This all sucks but it’s not the cops’ fault.

If they really, truly, could not get a search warrant before they found her body, they should amend the VAWA to add a clause that says if one member of an intimate partnership goes missing, LE has probable cause to search their last known residence for information related to the missing person.

You can even say any evidence retrieved can only be used for a possible prosecution related to the missing person.

How many times has this happened now? Though based on the responses in other cases (Morphew, Frazee), it seems like this local LE just didn't act aggressively IMO.
Especially when there has been a recent call for DV type incidents.

While I understand that nobody wants their kid mixed up in a situation like this, let alone (potentially) responsible for the entire thing, his parents are the most unsympathetic parents on the planet right now. They have had so many choices to make in the last few weeks and they have consistently made the wrong one every single time. They chose to cover for their son and act in self serving ways instead of being decent people. I don’t pity them at all.

Unless he had them convinced of a story where he wasn't involved at all. I'm curious to see the outcome in the following weeks/months of what was said or not said. He could have told them "she wandered off and he hasn't seen her in days," "she fell during a hike and I'm scared a scared little kid so get a lawyer," or "she broke up with me and told me not to follow and now she's missing," etc. Again, I'm really curious to find out what he told them or didn't tell them and hope it's revealed soon.

BL's parents searched the reserve themselves on Wednesday and Thursday, before their lawyer called the police on Friday.
On Wednesday they saw the car with the official note on it saying that the car had to be moved. They left the car there overnight for their son to use if he showed up. They picked the car up on Thursday. (Some of the reporters outside the house saying they saw the car there on Wednesday evidently had their days mixed up.)

In this article is one of the videos that explains part of this (their searches on Wednesday and Thursday).
Body matching description of Gabrielle 'Gabby' Petito found in Grand Teton, FBI confirms

I am still looking for the other video where I saw the info about the note on the car and them later picking up the car. If I find it, I will post it. It was reported by a journo who was at the scene of the police search for BL.

I don't think their lawyer will be lying. He is acting as intermediary for them, for good reason. Because what he says should be relied on. It is his reputation at stake.

However it's hard to argue with video evidence. https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1439593712271646721

The fact that the LE statement said not conducting any "major searches" today may be an attempt to draw BL out of wherever he is hiding. Maybe if he thinks they aren't looking today, he'll risk getting out for supplies, etc., IF he's in the reserve, which I highly doubt at this point.

Or LE wants more info that he is even there before wasting more resources.

I know a lot of readers had questions about Federal vs. State charges of crimes in Federal Parks… this website breaks down what is Federal vs, State as far as the investigation goes…
1632. Protection Of Government Property -- National Parks And Forests
I believe those regs only apply to the National Park system, and those dispersed camp spots are not strictly on national park land, but on National Forest land, which is a different division than National Parks. The regs for handling criminal matters may be the same, just maybe different reg numbers?
However, perhaps the other side of the wash, where the body was found, is just over the boundary into the Park? Maybe that “creek” is the boundary? Is someone able to clarify?

PS how federal lands are divided up between agencies, and which agency has jurisdiction are complicated!

I just don’t understand the police not verifying with their own eyes Brian was in the home, especially as the week went on. He didn’t have to talk, just show his face. I guess someone should have called in a welfare check on him, then they would have been obligated to see him. Can you call in welfare checks anonymously?

He hadn’t been accused of anything and his family led the police to believe he was fine at home. At this point I’m not even entirely sure they didn’t mislead their attorney about that point. The police didn’t have anything to force him to show his face over. This all sucks but it’s not the cops’ fault.

FBI joined within 2 days so I feel they must have had some master plan strategy? I just don't know at this point.
JMO

None of us know what Brian told his family. He could have told them that she decided to break up with him and ran off with another guy she met, so they felt compelled to protect/help him. They most likely thought this was all one big misunderstanding if Brian indeed lied to them. We really don't know.

But if your sons partners family started desperately messaging you … you would answer, and you’d ask questions of your son. It doesn’t fit that they refused to speak to the family in that scenario. It also doesn’t fit that when police came by to follow up on a missing persons report, that they opened the door, refused to talk to them, just handed them the lawyers information on a piece of paper and then shut the door.

(per the official who gave the press conference from the park where they are searching for BL).

Their actions (or inactions) suggest to me they knew something bad had happened. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson