Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The story about the two women being found dead was announced on the 20th.

If GP had happened to see on the local news on the hotel TV or online, that the two women who told BL to knock it off, stop hitting a woman, had turned up dead, could BL, having been asked by GP if he knew anything about it, perhaps have hastened his trip back to Utah, from the planned 23rd (as GP’s mother believed) to the 21st?
Not related, a Christopher filed the report at 4:45 in the afternoon of the 12. Women were seen Aug.13 at a local bar. GP and BL had reserved spots in Arches the 12th through? Not connected.

Unless they have been diagnosed by a professional and made this public themselves it's not a good idea to say either of them were suffering from a mental health condition. It's not fair to anyone to have people declare things like that, especially online, unless a doctor or family member shares that info. I say that as someone who's ex- was doing that online to me for a long time and it was infuriating. You don't have to have a mental health condition to fight with your boyfriend. Even a physical fight does not indicate that. PLEASE don't try to diagnose them in a forum. It's so incredibly unfair to everyone involved.
Gabby was self revealing what she thought was her mental illness to the officers in Moab. Whether or not she was diagnosed/medicated I have not seen reported.

Because that's the way the witness, Christopher, and Gabby admitted it happened. Of course, trying to lock your girlfriend out of the vehicle to "cool down" isn't very mature either.
It was probably the best option for them though, if that's what he was doing. Separate from the person you're fighting with and locking yourself in car when there's no where else to go is not a bad way to try and defuse a situation.

The other option would be to leave them and drive off...which clearly happened another time, we just don't know the circumstances of that particular incident.

This. I'm sure when he arrived he said he needed time, space and didnt wanna talk about it.when the text came in he probably assured them she was, wherever, and they just gave him that space. Id like to say id do this and that, but to be fair, trusting my son id definitely give him time and space. And now theyre in the sh@*s and trying to figure out how to go about it all. Hopefully,it went down like that. Otherwise they are despicable. I hope she is found safe and sound. As a fellow strong islander, i think that girl is strong and hopefully wherever she is she's holding on.
I agree with this. My son's pretty quiet about that stuff too, so I wouldn't push him too much. If he flew home saying they broke up and then he moved her stuff out and then they made up, he'd fly back and then they fight again. What I would question is if he came back with HER van and not her. Then I'd really be pushing my son big time. I'd even tell her parents that he was home and she wasn't. We need to know if he actually purchased a round trip ticket or 2 separate tickets.

Look at the second picture and how blue the sky is. It has not been that way here for practically the entire summer because of the California wildfires. Shadows don't seem right for either. Were they ever in Utah before.
I believe their car trip the year before would have taken them through there. Have not had time to look closely at the photos. I am a landscape photographer very familiar with the entire SW and since the theory is those last few photos are from either previously posted earlier on trip or from other source I want to look at.

Following lawyers advice to protect him.
They could pick up the phone and call her parents and discuss the situation but they are not willing to put their son at risk, they are protecting him.
it is their choice to do what the lawyers are advising, which I understand it is smart to follow the lawyers advice, especially when you are guilty.

And potentially without medication and self-medicating.

Respectfully, this was from the police transcripts. G & B both made statements to the responding police officers about their mental health issues. I suggest reading the transcripts.

Respectfully, police transcripts are not a medical diagnosis.

Mental health issues are not something cops are good at detecting IMO. At least, they are far from experts at it. Only doctors are.

And we certainly should not be taking the boyfriend at his word since he is a POI. The POI could be making things up like crazy to cover his own rear end for his own behavior, and even for her own behavior.

And mental health issues revealed by domestic violence arguments are not something people should be discussing casually on a place like this as though people have any idea what they are talking about! It's totally inappropriate and UNFAIR to any and all victims in this situation. IMO

But why would be he be driving her van. I keep coming back to that. The van is Gabby's. Even if he told his family they broke up, she wouldn't have said "hey you take my van".

Why not? Maybe Brian told them she said she wouldn't need her van while she was working in Yellowstone (or Grand Teton) and she intended to fly home. If my daughter told me something like that, I would accept it. I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she had deserted/killed her companion.

I mostly have been trying to explain to my own satisfaction the Laundries' long silence. At some point Gabby's parents were bound to notice she was gone. Then what?

Can we all please STOP making assumptions regarding mental illness and prescription medication.

Although the statement by police indicated that Gabby disclosed her mental health at the time, there is no indication that these are diagnosed or treated conditions.

In my opinion, it's dangerous to assume that those conditions were being treated medically or otherwise, or even professionally diagnosed.

I know many people who claim, in times of high stress or trauma that they are "suffering with anxiety" etc.

This does not change the fact that she is missing, he is home with his family and unwilling to cooperate with the search efforts.

I believe there is a lot more that we do not know at this point, and being armchair doctors and psychiatrists doesn't change the fact that something horrible has happened here.

The family and LE should be the only legitimate sources capable of disclosing mental health issues if and when they become relevant to the case.

IMO as always

Not related, a Christopher filed the report at 4:45 in the afternoon of the 12. Women were seen Aug.13 at a local bar. GP and BL had reserved spots in Arches the 12th through? Not connected.

I mean, if three people, two women and a guy, witness an altercation, only one of them is going to phone it in to the police, they’re not all going to put their names to the call.

Also we know that the domestic incident happened outside the co-op where, according to varying reports, at least one and perhaps both of the women worked, it’s not like they were in a completely different place.

Last edited:
Oh my.

Could this be a suicide? Could that explain why he took the van back to Florida and refuses to communicate with her parents? Could he be furious at her putting him in this position?

Imo.

If so, he's even dumber than I thought. He makes himself look like a potential murderer in order to cover up a suicide? Time for him to say so, I'd think, as he and his parents are going to be heavily investigated from this moment onward.

He would know when he last saw her and approximately where she must be.

Of course, if he is in the grips of an untreated mental illness, perhaps he's not thinking clearly.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I just made an account to say that this is the same co-op that the murdered couple worked at. Source: Family of two women found dead in Moab mourns the loss of young couple

It's also one of the few places to buy good groceries in Moab.

If only they had taken her in for a mental health evaluation...

But her distraught behavior in no way rises to the level of an involuntary commitment - which is what you are suggesting.

Well, I’ve heard enough of my family members mix the two up, to not take that too seriously.

However, the Daily Mail pretends to be a newspaper...

Why wasn’t he arrested for DUI?

The policeman in question left off dealing with Gabby and BL in order to go to the scene of an intoxicated driver - he is just contributing what he saw and heard before he went to that other scene. Neither Gabby nor BL is reported as intoxicated.

In the other officer's report, we learn that at no point did Gabby stop crying long enough to make a statement. So, that explains why there's no statement. The only thing she manages to say is that she was just trying to get BL's attention and didn't intend to hurt him. Both BL and GP beg the officer not to consider it a DV case, as I read it. The driving issues are unaddressed by LE, as far as I can see.

Because the boyfriend mentioned a mental illness (which was not bipolar disorder, because it wasn't that long of a statement) it could have been depression, it could be something like anxiety, IOW, something not as serious as what people think of when they think of "mental illness" and to have a cop say she was "manic" is not a diagnosis. She could have been just incredibly PO'd and who knows what their relationship was really like. Sounds like they had domestic violence issues for awhile. But to protect the boyfriend in a case like that is nuts IMO. She is 110 lbs, obviously not as strong as him.

Also keep in mind a police report can be wrong. I had my car broken into at a park a couple of years ago, called the cops, the police report about it was all messed up. It was like the police officer wasn't even listening to me. And he made up things that he said he told me and he actually didn't tell me those things. IOW, it's possible the police report is wrong about some things. Don't take it as gospel or even factual. Sometimes they see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

IMO!

The word "bipolar" is shorter than the word "depression." Just saying. It's also shorter than schizophrenia.

Of course the two policemen could be wrong - but until some other entity (like their police department) agrees, I'm going with the fact that the Moab police have confidence in their report or they wouldn't have released it.

A first responder was told they had some condition, the first responder notices certain behaviors, makes a judgment call that leads toward MH support instead of jail.

If there was a power outage which there probably was due to the weather and fires, cell service might have been out too.

It was 5000 customers, no reason given by Rocky Mountain Power (no fires nearby either, no unusual weather:

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) – Over 5,000 people have been impacted by a power outage in Salt Lake City, Friday afternoon. According to Rocky Mountain Power, 5,148 customers are without power in the Sugar House and Salt Lake City areas. Crews are currently looking into what may have caused the outage.Aug 20, 2021

And potentially without medication and self-medicating.

Respectfully, this was from the police transcripts. G & B both made statements to the responding police officers about their mental health issues. I suggest reading the transcripts.
Ita.
Referring to the msm police transcripts, it looks like LE had some concerns, but not enough ?
Even a small argument could have turned deadly.
It isn't easy for many people to be in close contact like that for an extended period of time.
For some it works and for others it can trigger a breakup.

There were several books written by a man walking across America (Peter Jenkins), and in the second book (I think ?) he details the difficulties he and now ex-his wife had in such close proximity with no release valve.
I'm thinking GP and BL had met up with others now and then, but there had to have been long stretches with nothing but themselves for company ?
And if they had questions about the future of their relationship, this was a very bad cocktail. :(
MOO.

So Gabby was the aggressor according to the police statements. She allegedly slapped the phone out of Brian's hand. She told them she struggled with mental health issues and had serious anxiety. Bipolar disorder? Was she manic? I see the two conditions she stated are blacked out in the report.

It sounds like things had gotten contentious between them. Was she being provoked? Was she without her medication *if* she was taking any?

I have so many questions.

MOO.
To me it seems he was trying to control her by taking her phone and she was reacting.

After we released our podcast episode about the case
Gabby's family sent is this statement:

"The Schmidt and Petito family are going through the worst moments of their lives. Their beautiful twenty-two year old daughter is missing and the one person that can help find Gabby refuses to help. Brian Laundrie was traveling with Gabby in the Grand Teton – Yellowstone area. They were traveling together in Gabby’s 2012 Ford Transit van. That is where we believe Gabby was last seen.
Brian is refusing to tell Gabby’s family where he last saw her. Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers.
The Schmidt and Petito family beg the Laundrie family to not “remain in the background” but to help find who Brian referred to as the love of his life. How does Brian stay in the background when he is the one person that knows where Gabby is located?
The Schmidt and Petito family implore Brian to come forward and at least tell us if we are looking in the right area
."
I'm in the process of catching up on all of this. This statement is... interesting though. Unless there has been more than BF being named a POI after this, there is no indication that BF isn't telling LE where he last saw GP, just that he isn't talking to the family which, honestly, is the right thing to do in this circumstance, especially if they are convinced he did something to her.

Since I'm catching up there is a good chance I will change my mind, but I do subscribe to the theory that when he last saw her, she was alive, and that something has happened since then. Not talking and lawyering up isn't a bad thing or admission of guilt, especially when you KNOW the court of public opinion is going to immediately look at you as the responsible party.

Also, I am of the opinion that GP was the one who sent the texts and added to Spotify before something happened. Service is known to be sketchy in that area, and we have no reason to think it WASN'T here until told otherwise. The mother not being sure if it was GP texting her is just that - she's not sure. She has no way to know for sure currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper