Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they searching outside the preserve?? I hope so because unless he is dead in there he isn't there. If he still is in there and he is alive, he will eventually have to come out.

So much We do not know. We will never know all of this because we can never be sure of the truth even if involved parties speak up

All we know is that the Laundries consulted and retained a lawyer for advice on whatever BL told them. When exactly, and what was said, we do not know. Attorneys are required to notify authorities if they are apprised of a situation where someone’s life is directly in danger. But the disappearance of an adult does not fall into that category. So if BL said that GP disappeared on him, the attorney would not have to report that. In some states, info of a body found, is not even required to be reported. An attorney cannot inform LE that client admitted to killing someone and a not guilty plea can even be entered in such a case.

The way our system of law stands, the Laundries and their attorney acted optimally to protect family members. It’s the ethical and moral aspect that confounds me.

There is no question in my mind that I would not have left GP’s family hanging the way JL’s family did. The only thing I can possibly see as a dire enough reason for them to have taken their stance is that JL said he killed her. Because if he returned from an absence and found her dead, or some accident occurred or she killed self, absolutely , the normal, Automat reaction would be to immediately contact family and LE.
The time gap between what happened, the absence of hard probable info as to when what happened is likely going to make any case against BL more difficult.

But when I read all the posts about the DV incident, if say, BL had returned to van site and just found Gabby dead, I don’t think public opinion would be any different. There would just be more hard evidence to file a murder charge at him. By saying nothing, there is less evidence and the possibility of innocence stands forefront in court of law. The lawyer is not sketchy, BTW. He did the correct thing a criminal attorney should do in best protecting his clients

Thank you for clarifying--I thought these were direct words from the Laundries re their business. I have a feeling the P lawyer might not know how Yelp works :(
I know texts aren't high English, but the Laundries' lawyer's grammar is atrocious!
All this publicly issuing statements back & forth family to family, attorney to attorney, attorney to family, whatever. Wow! Frustration, anger, and self-preservation is understandable, but, again... Wow! Makes me wonder if there's more behind the scenes relative to potential future trial.

How can he possibly still be alive if he's hiding out in the wild with no resources.
Everyone is going to feel so cheated if this turns out to be the case.
Wish I could come up with another scenario where he could still be alive, but I can't seem to...
honestly the only other likely scenario I've heard is him hiding out in an abandoned house. He may have had time to find such a place, given the time it took for this crime to become known - but might have been hard to do so successfully in that time period outside his immediate neighborhood.

Huh. Look at the massive amounts of second guessing and speculation - and accusation - Bertolino (and Laundrie) have received. If they now had a so-called death penalty attorney show up (publicly) just imagine the cries of "see, even they know he's gonna get convicted). Tell me the news - and this very message board - wouldn't be bursting with such commentary the instant such counsel was known.

Pretty much everyone already assumes he's guilty, so I'm not sure how it could hurt in the public eye.

Not to mention the main reason you hire an attorney is for dealing with the legal system, not PR.

I hope he’s not dead. Gabby’s family deserve answers.

I don’t think his mother in particular would risk his life if she has any clue where he is and she thought he was suicidal.

On that note, how do we know they’ve not quietly checked him into a psych hospital? Do we have any unconfirmed evidence that he’s entered that park? Their behaviour so far has been atypical of what I would expect from future parents in law.

I don’t know, this is JMO, but I wouldn’t put it past people who show such a lack of empathy for other parents to protect their son at all costs.
A nice small private psych unit..

For those of you who truly believe BL is on a suicide mission of one kind or another...
he had 2300 miles of open country between the crime scene and North Port to chose for a suicide.
He didn't.

That is true. It's always possible that the heating up of the investigation got to him and made him do it, but I think if he wanted to do that, they would have found him by now. I'm saying this if it had been his mission when he left the house last week. I'm thinking he'd just go do it and his body would not be hidden. I find the whole thing surrounding his decision to go for a "quick hike" very strange in light of how long he's been gone and how unconcerned his family "seems" to be on the veneer of it.

Last edited:
For those of you who truly believe BL is on a suicide mission of one kind or another...
he had 2300 miles of open country between the crime scene and North Port to chose for a suicide.
He didn't.

I don’t think the reality of the situation had set in yet, and his parents could have been convincing him he could run from this.

I am sure he believed he had bought himself some time to figure out what to do. IMO the suicide mission probably began around the 11th, when this case BLEW UP and he realized the amount of evidence that had already been collected.

Ugggghh... Why would the investigative team leave an elaborate cross made out of rocks at the site of GP's recovery? That seems so tacky and unprofessional. How long did GP's family have to wonder about BL burying her and making a memorial? Between this, and GP's family's attorney lashing out at BL's attorney about GP's photos on a Yelp page BL's attorney didn't even claim from Yelp as his business, which were uploaded by other Yelp users?
Stop screwing around, do this by the book, and let's get some justice for GP.

Perhaps the family requested the cross ?
I'm sure they knew a lot more then any of us did and weren't left wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734