Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the speculation about how the parents should or shouldn’t be handling this right now are sometimes considered without much consideration about what their actual options are. They don’t have many good options. They can’t really win. They probably are staying silent because they’re the most hated people in America. Their son ruined their lives, too. Maybe they don’t really care what happens to him now….it’s already all done with, as far as they’re concerned. He got himself into this mess and he can get himself out. They don’t even know how to help get him out, they don’t know where he is. They can’t bring Gabby back and they don’t want to be involved with what he did, they want to wipe their hands of connection with him. “He’s missing” is the only thing that they’re willing to do at this point. Maybe that’s what they’re thinking — distance themselves. And they can’t say anything publicly because of their legal representation is telling them not to, and their lawyer sucks and has made them look guiltier than ever. And they’re smart enough to know anything they say now, it’s too late. So they say nothing and hope that Brian sorts this all out somehow. They may hope he is dead, even. They may hate him for this more than we could ever imagine. And want out of all of it more than we could ever imagine. They may not know much, other than it’s become clear their son did something horrific to someone he and they cared about, and there’s no going back. They might think appealing for him to come back is pointless, and that they don’t owe him their support.

I apologize for snipping quite a bit of a heartfelt and eloquent post that everyone should read. I just wanted to reply to this bit and say yes, you are right, and I am one of the people who rushed to judgment on them. I'm sorry for that now, because of things like what you've pointed out. I have no sympathy for BL, but if he betrayed Gabby's love he might have betrayed his parents' love as well.

This is JMO but I assume he drove there, someone picked him up and took him elsewhere, and his parents went to pick the car up. If he isn't in the Carlton Reserve, then other people have to be helping him. Too many people looking. I think he came home, told his parents what happened. They made plans, cleaned up, and hired an attorney. It's hard to believe, if they were really scared their son was going to kill himself, they wouldn't have waited so long to report it. I was thinking we are all so shocked at his parents behavior, but it doesn't appear that they care anymore for their son then they did for Gabby. Unless they know where he is and that he is safe. This is, of course, JMO.
I think he was already gone into hiding before that and never went to the reserve. Imo

I'm fixated on the neighbor's camper thing too. Especially if it's true he just bought it after Brian returned. And, especially if he paid cash and took a lot more cash out than was it's purchase price. NEITHER OF WHICH WE KNOW NOR IS STATED AS FACT It would be another sign the parents may have known in advance. But, how could they get out of there without being recorded by toll transponders, etc. Even assuming they didn't use a Sun Pass their vehicle would still be picked up and yet at home they still sit. So, I'm thinking LE might not have this.
I'm fixated on the neighbor's camper thing too. Especially if it's true he just bought it after Brian returned. And, especially if he paid cash and took a lot more cash out than was it's purchase price. NEITHER OF WHICH WE KNOW NOR IS STATED AS FACT It would be another sign the parents may have known in advance. But, how could they get out of there without being recorded by toll transponders, etc. Even assuming they didn't use a Sun Pass their vehicle would still be picked up and yet at home they still sit. So, I'm thinking LE might not have this.
Unless he is really dumb, he would know where the cameras are. My Apple Maps even tells me when I am about to hit a red light camera. Then again, he might be naive and not used to committing crimes or driving far, so he might get picked up on that.

We don’t even know if he is the one that took the car there.

It is frustrating for sure. I wonder if the police dogs have picked up anything at the reserve re. BL. There has to be good reason why LE is focussing on water bodies, maybe because no sign of him on land. I'm guessing much harder to find BL if he is in the water, especially in a murky swamp. Good thing they have all the technology!

Going to give a generous statement of possibility:

I strongly, angrily, emotionally believe the parents did a lot wrong at the *very* beginning by not being contientous and checking in with Gabby's parents when he returned without her on the 1st. That was the first mistake.

It's possible Brian had concocted a brilliant tale about she left early and flew home to her parents blahblah so they felt no need to check, but given that she lived there, and they didn't follow-up with that and ensure she was home or check in with her parents (or her!), that is a BIG flaw, in my opinion.

If they got the lawyer day 1, then everything after the fact is also entirely their fault for not helping AT ALL to allow the situation to evolve in a proper sense. Because that means they saw the trouble, knew what happened or didn't know what happened but knew SOMETHING happened (say, for example, BL got home and was all out of sorts and wouldn't talk to them or having an "episode") and said NOTHING and alerted NO ONE and checked in with NO ONE with only their protection in mind.

But, let's say they genuinely thought Gabby was A-OK and accounted for safely until they heard from her parents on Sep 10th. Can't imagine not responding just to say "wow, we are just hearing about this, we are so sorry let us look into" yadda yadda. But they don't, they realize something is very wrong by the look on Brian's face, and they lawyer up. Phew it's bad already.

My generosity comes in with what happens now (and this is all assuming they * didn't help* him after the fact except for hiring a lawyer):

I think all the speculation about how the parents should or shouldn't be handling this right now are sometimes considered without much consideration about what their actual options are. They don't have many good options. They can't really win. They probably are staying silent because they're the most hated people in America. Their son ruined their lives, too. Maybe they don't really care what happens to him now… .it's already all done with, as far as they're concerned. He got himself into this mess and he can get himself out. They don't even know how to help get him out, they don't know where he is. They can't bring Gabby back and they don't want to be involved with what he did, they want to wipe their hands of connection with him. "He's missing" is the only thing that they're willing to do at this point. Maybe that's what they're thinking — distance themselves. And they can't say anything publicly because of their legal representation is telling them not to, and their lawyer sucks and has made them look guiltier than ever. And they're smart enough to know anything they say now, it's too late. So they say nothing and hope that Brian sorts this all out somehow. They may hope he is dead, even.

Keep in mind that this opinion is coming from a place of keeping an open mind about what the situation they're in actually looks and feels like. We don't know what's going on in their heads and while we can know that they played this wrong AT THE BEGINNING, I don't know whether we can firmly say they're playing it wrong now. They may not be playing anything, if they didn't help him, they're just in this mess and resentful and really can't do anything to help the situation except hide in their home. I'm not defending them and I don't personally believe they are that innocent or naive to the facts of the case, but if they didn't have a big part to play in a "coverup" or aiding escape, then they may just be anxiously waiting for law enforcement to find him like the rest of us.

Anyways, just wanted to say that. Because while at times I am boldly assuming they are the bad guys and criminally aiding him, other times I think they're wrapped in a terrible situation with bad legal advice and they made terrible careless and callous mistakes at the beginning not to talk to her family but that could be the end of their involvement.

Their behavior isn't consistent with not knowing what the hell is going on.

If he lied to them, perhaps saying Gabby left him, and that's why he's home without her, then 1, why did he have the van, and 2, why didn't they respond to Gabby's mom's calls? They would have been none the wiser and answered. IMO, they knew from the beginning. They pushed the sister out, so she's not implicated. They came up with a plan that included a 3-day camping ruse. They came up with a way to make it appear he left later to give him a headstart, hence the car parked at the reserve and now the extensive and very expensive searching. They met with their lawyer the minute he was charged with something. Now, they're walking around with poker faces.

My one take-away from the 48 Hours program was the woman who was working in the shop when they came in for milkshakes. She said she struck up a conversation with Gabby about the flower tattoo on her arm and they chatted awhile. She said BL then interjected himself into the conversation to bring up the fact that they were engaged and wanted Gabby to talk about their engagement. That made me think that BL seems jealous of all the attention Gabby was getting on social media whereas he is just in the background.

Or....I heard that when you mention your engagement, you get stuff complimentary sometimes.

I think she shouted out that they were engaged on their way out though. Like after they had already paid.

The person I'm replying to, Sunny, quoted in the reply and above, said Brian was trying to get her to talk about it. I simply provided a reason why BRIAN would try to get Gabby to talk about it. I have no idea if this account is true or not either way..

... Truck camper is not a vehicle. IMO it would not have to go through dmv
Oh no!!!! That's unreal. What a perfect plan that would be huh? I guess that's right, bc it doesn't have any wheels. It's not being towed or hitched. I was thinking pay tax - not the obvious that it gets attached to an already registered vehicle. Ugh. I find every move to be so calculated. MOO

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

They are mainly using vehicles? I didn't know that. Wouldn't that limit where they can search?

Last edited by a moderator:

If he lied to them, perhaps saying Gabby left him, and that's why he's home without her, then 1, why did he have the van, and 2, why didn't they respond to Gabby's mom's calls? They would have been none the wiser and answered. IMO, they knew from the beginning. They pushed the sister out, so she's not implicated. They came up with a plan that included a 3-day camping ruse. They came up with a way to make it appear he left later to give him a headstart, hence the car parked at the reserve and now the extensive and very expensive searching. They met with their lawyer the minute he was charged with something. Now, they're walking around with poker faces.
OR, per my generous post, they thought she flew back and made the mistake not to follow-up on that, got a lawyer when they realized she was missing, had already gone on trips and regular outings prior to finding out she was missing because, well, they were still living their normal lives before a nightmare struck.

Not saying it IS the case, but it IS a possibility.

Now, this is under the assumption he wasn't seen after the family camping trip. I'm not sure, but either way, they set him up with supplies somehow, somewhere. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
I know Port Richey is up the coast a bit and it's highly unlikely because it's described as decomposed but...

PORT RICHEY, Fla. (WFLA) — The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the discovery of a decomposed body in Jasmine Estates.

According to agency spokeswoman Amanda Hunter, the remains were found Saturday in the area of Embassy Boulevard and Richwood Lane.

Authorities have not disclosed the person’s identity or gender. Their cause and manner of death are unknown. It’s unclear if foul play is suspected.

Decomposed body found in Pasco County; investigation underway, official says | WFLA

Last edited:
I apologize for snipping quite a bit of a heartfelt and eloquent post that everyone should read. I just wanted to reply to this bit and say yes, you are right, and I am one of the people who rushed to judgment on them. I'm sorry for that now, because of things like what you've pointed out. I have no sympathy for BL, but if he betrayed Gabby's love he might have betrayed his parents' love as well.
Appreciate the reflection. I, too, have jumped to conclusions on them! But I try to be aware of the other possibilities and that other scenario would be very difficult for them if that turns out to be the case. We just really don’t know.

I actually edited my post before seeing yours to add a line under what you quoted:

If BL is as narcissistic and manipulative and abusive and volatile as some people here think, they could have suffered from that with him too, and also be somewhat victims in this. Lied to, used, abandoned.

So your statement that he could have betrayed their love, too, struck me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste