Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stepped away for a while, but after just noticing the latest update re: LE getting DNA from BL’s parents [EDITED BY ME: items of BL’s to assist them with DNA matching] , I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they’re closer to some sort of breakthrough. I’ve been fascinated by this case, not just because I see part of my younger self in GP (as many of us do, I’m sure) but also because I simply can’t understand how a 23 year old lad with what appears to be little in the way of "real life" experience has managed to evade everyone for all this time. It has actually made me very angry. If they were chasing Bear Grylls, I’d maybe understand it. But how much wilderness/on-the-run/hide-and-seek experience can BL really have?

The eyes of the world are on LE right now. My Canadian friends are sharing it on FB, my British friends are talking about it, even my German friends are talking about it. LE *must* get this right. If they can’t get it right when we’re all watching, I dread to think what happens when we aren’t. I know they’re doing all sorts behind the scene and we barely know a fraction of it and we probably shouldn’t criticise… but I see LE being mocked/criticised left, right and centre for not having nabbed him by now, especially with all the tech and manpower they have.

I’m sure we’ll find out a crazy story about it all someday, but today… it just looks very disconcerting. If Dog the Bounty Hunter chap finds him before LE do… *eek face*

MOO, IMO, etc.

Last edited:
I hate that the media does this. Those officers had the 911 call info. The officer wrote that at the top of his report. I don't see that the dispatcher did anything wrong. It is really unfair to blame them. Moo.
Reading the transcript of the interaction I think the 911 call they relied on was the one that she got into the van, not the one where he was slapping her.
The FBI entered the Laundrie house for 3 minutes. According to their attorney: The FBI requested some personal items belonging to Brian Laundrie to assist them with DNA matching and Brian’s parents provided the FBI with what they could.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1442184197125382156?s=21
Hopefully they supplied the actual items that belong to BL. Cindy Anthony provided the dog’s brush to LE.

Maybe.
But they don't have enough DNA samples from his clothes, the house raid, the vehicles by now? Surely they would have taken his toothbrush at the outset?
What possible source of his DNA could remain in that house at this stage?
He didn't need a hairbrush..
All we know is what was reported. This visit could have been for something completely different. We're hearing this from the lawyer, so who knows.

The FBI entered the Laundrie house for 3 minutes. According to their attorney: The FBI requested some personal items belonging to Brian Laundrie to assist them with DNA matching and Brian’s parents provided the FBI with what they could.

Perhaps a hair brush, tooth brush, razor etc. Also the atty could say it's for just about anything at this point and it's not like the FBI will confirm or deny during an open investigation.

Previously, they asked for items to assist the tracking dogs with finding him. If they stopped by this morning to ask for a known DNA sample, it sounds like a body has been located, IMO.

I’m thinking there are at least 3 options
  1. Someone forgot forensics-101 & they don’t have BL’s DNA “in case it’s needed”
  2. They’ve got a body & because of 1. they need DNA to rule him in/out
  3. They’ve located somewhere that shows signs of recent camping & items left behind could contain DNA & because of 1. they had to go collect a sample

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that the cause of death is going to be either manual strangulation or asphyxiation :(

I know some have said they think they that it was blood that the police had sprayed and marked at the location where GP's body was found, but IMO it didn't look like blood. I just have a hunch that no blood was shed.
MOO
Re the sprayed markers -- I think they were simply markers made to show other investigators, etc., where to find the body. It's a bi-i-i-g area out there. Make it obvious where to find her sweet little dead body.

Reading the transcript of the interaction I think the 911 call they relied on was the one that she got into the van, not the one where he was slapping her.
I think so, too. While the female LEO’s footage is unavailable to us, she seemed very concerned about GP. Perhaps she was aware of the non/Chris call? However, once everything was sorted, and before the matter was closed, they could have interviewed BL again. They knew where he was.

Maybe.
But they don't have enough DNA samples from his clothes, the house raid, the vehicles by now? Surely they would have taken his toothbrush at the outset?
This does seem a bit odd, but maybe they only have presumed DNA samples and not official ones? Though of course anything supplied to them by BL's parents might also be regarded as a presumed DNA sample. And they might have some other reason to enter the house.

I'm more interested in what they're trying to match it to. To expand on @Purplepixii's and others' lists, here are some things they could match it to:
  • A body or other evidence found in the reserve or elsewhere
  • Evidence found on a weapon
  • Evidence on GP's body, such as from under her fingernails if she fought back
JMO

Interesting post around the same time as the stop by parents house.
https://mobile.twitter.com/FBIWFO/status/1442187311043776513
OOOH, that IS interesting! I sure would like to know what, if anything, searchers have turned up. And I'd like to know if any of the dogs picked up a trail. IMHO, it is highly likely that one or more did. I think he was in the Reserve for a short period of time and then went somewhere else from there. Maybe when the folks picked up the Mustang, he was in the backseat and they dropped him somewhere else. Pure speculation on my part.

Remember, BL had every opportunity to commit suicide between the crime scene and 2300 miles to North Port. He did not. Upon arrival, he didn't commit suicide. He bicycled with his mother, worked in the garage with his father and mowed the lawn. He stopped off on the way home to purchase items - what? to take them into his next life?
Remember also, his family hired a lawyer early on. Obviously, if you don't hire a lawyer on Monday, but hire one on Tuesday - something happened, there's a reason for it and it isn't assisted suicide.
His disappearance has raised the existence of consciousness of guilt to the stratosphere...and its all their lawyer's fault.
Contrast the behavior of Gabby's family throughout this matter and the almost depraved indifference of BL's family. Its eerie.

Personally I would live on a beach, swimming and sunbaking bay day and sleeping there at night. But I don't where or how I would find food. Maybe take many weeks' supply of health bars.

However, I wonder if LE checked all the closets in his parents' house. There have been several cases of people hiding in closets for years undetected.

The Girl Who Came Back From the Dead

Woman hides in man's closet for a year
You never know. Anything is possible at this point.
Since Covid, everything is done without human interaction.

Picture this:
BL goes into library, hat, mask, sunglasses. undetected.
uses library computer to rent a vacation home for a month.
Tells homeowner: I can pay you cash, can I put it in the mail to you or drop it by your house and put in mailbox? Thank you! Will do! Please leave the place open, and I will get keys off the counter on Tuesday at noon. Gives them b.s. data (if they ask) about who he is and what his address is.

never sees the owners.

and is right now having a great nights sleep in a cozy room watching them search the swamp for him.

ordering pizza and telling the pizza place: money will be left at the door, I have Covid. leave pizza on the porch.

no bears, no snakes, no monkeys, no swamp.
It could happen. Out of all the Airbnb’s I’ve stayed in, I’ve probably only met
Maybe.
I would think they would’ve been able to get his DNA from the van or something in it, but it’s very likely BL scrubbed that thing clean upon his return home.

Great! Thanks for this. I guess my take is, given the age of the mustang, at least, would that even have a system like this? Again, no idea. Just putting out there, that this would be a great tool for forensics, but don't know if it's available to LE in this case.
I tend to think it is available. The 2012 mustang uses the sync system shown here. https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=2012&api_key=0d571406-82e4-2b65-cc885011-048eb263

A
nd Berla has a release from 2017 discussing the sync system. iVe v1.11 Released – Berla.co
Headlining this release is support for SYNC generation 3, the latest version of Ford’s SYNC systems that are used in much of the Ford lineup throughout the world. This particular system stores a wealth of interesting user data that is of an unprecedented quantity and magnitude. In order to parse and graphically display the SYNC generation 3’s velocity log data in a way that is useful for investigators, a new iVe feature has been added to graphically display velocity logs.

OOOH, that IS interesting! I sure would like to know what, if anything, searchers have turned up. And I'd like to know if any of the dogs picked up a trail. IMHO, it is highly likely that one or more did. I think he was in the Reserve for a short period of time and then went somewhere else from there. Maybe when the folks picked up the Mustang, he was in the backseat and they dropped him somewhere else. Pure speculation on my part.
I think that’s likely. I just don’t believe he’s in there now. He had a three day head start to evade LE as his parents didn’t report him “missing” right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
couchsluether