Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems like they should have noticed something. It just seemed odd to me how jovial BL was, in the middle of a fight. They acted like Gabby had mental issues but I actually thought that her emotions made more sense. Especially when she said, He was trying to lock me out of the van and I was trying to get my phone back. I don't think they breached any protocols, probably thought they made the right decision, but the way they buddied up to Brian reminds me of how they treated domestic violence victims 30-40 years ago. It seems not much has really changed.

UTAH

Am I the only one who watched the 48 Hours special that didn’t really like what they heard from the friend Rose? She was a little too complimentary of BL in the wake of what he has likely done to Gabby. She seemed a little too unwilling to fully put her support behind Gabby. It could just be her personality and I guess her recollection of what she saw. But if it was my close friend who was likely taken away from me by another person, I’d have a very hard time speaking of them in any remotely positive light.
I watched. I think that she really only knows him through what Gabby has told her. She has said previously that Gabby had stayed with her numerous times after they had a fight. Gabby probably never really trashed Brian to her, though. And how much she knows about his skills may be only what Gabby has told her which he has bragged to Gabby. jmo

Yes, I witnessed that about twenty years ago. Neighbors over the back of me were fighting and the woman was screaming. I called LE when it became clear that he was beating her. They both had been drinking but the police were only interested in her being a bit drunk and held that against her. She had a bleeding nose and one LE said to her 'You are speaking over the top of me' and they left. I rang them again because he was still there and still fighting and they told me to mind my own business.
From several male friends who are or were police officers. (I don't know any that are female)
They absolutely HATE to respond to domestic violence calls. Those are the calls where it can go downhill fast and they end up in danger.
Not that it excuses anything, but I imagine it is very tense for them and to brush it off is the lesser of two evils.
Sad, more isn't done, but the police aren't employed to do what would need to be done in domestic violence cases.
Even that small encounter took them around an hour. Most don't have that kind of time to spend and council people.
IMO

Last edited:
Good catch! I'm left handed and I hold my utensils with my left hand when I eat. I think he is right handed. Which could mean that he approached her from behind as she was trying to walk away from him. Definitely fits their dynamic.
I have four grandchildren. Their mother is right handed and their father is left handed. All of them do some things with their right hand and other things with their left hand. I can never remember which.

Random thoughts. He supposedly drove to the Carlton Reserve and left his wallet and phone behind. First off, very irresponsible to drive without a license. Secondly, the family revealing that he left his phone and wallet behind and that they were afraid he might harm himself seems like a pretty good narrative to put out there (all MOO, of course). If they were afraid he might harm himself, why didn't they call the authorities immediately? If it was your son or daughter, wouldn't you follow him/her or at least call the authorities? If it was your son/daughter, wouldn't you appeal to them (publicly) to come home? Again, MOO.

I noticed in the picture of BL eating that GP had places set and a candle. It was obvious that she was just beginning her meal; yet, BL was over standing on a rock eating alone instead of joining Gabby. I guess it could have been a staged picture. He often seems to be looking off in the distance in many of the pictures.

I think the risk of being killed by a gator is extremely low. Gators are scared of man. They generally won't attack without serious provoking. If he were a dog or a toddler that wouldn't be my opinion but a full grown man? Nah.

If he is dead by other means a gator might scavenge him. But I'm pretty sure LE would have discovered this already. They have wildlife people keeping tabs on the larger gators - charting territory and monitoring their behaviors (for the safety of LE if for no other reason). Any gator acting aggressively right now is going to followed to see if they have BL stashed under a log or embankment somewhere.

Snakes aren't a big threat IMO.
Cottonmouths are the most common venomous aquatic in that area but their bites aren't deadly unless you are allergic. There are also diamondbacks but they are pretty few in numbers. The biggest threat IMO as far as snakes would be a coral snake but they're pretty secretive and aren't even often seen in the wild. They account for less than 1% of all snake bites in the US with only 1 death reported in some 40+ years. If he happened to encounter one and got bitten it would be bad news without medical treatment but I don't think the likelihood is very high at all. Oh and because the media loves to mention it - pythons. No humans have been killed by pythons in FL.

I just made the mistake of googling snakes in Florida....nightmares! For some reason I envisioned snakes curling up to you for warmth especially in the undergrowth.

"BL stashed under a log or embankment somewhere. " haha

i don't believe this to be true

Florida gets lots of rain and thunder storms, when these storms become outflow dominant they gust out wind that wind chill probably would be enough to turn someone hypothermic depending on what they are wearing and how wet they are from the storm or damp from sweating through clothing

im not here to debate anything just throwing in that its possible just about anywhere to die from exposure in the right circumstances
I live in FL and have for 10 years.. this time of the year it’s still warm and even with rain and thunder and wind it doesn’t get THAT cold.

IMO he would have more to fear from things like yellowjackets or horseflies than snakes or alligators.

Yep. IMO insects pose the biggest threat and for me would mentally drive me insane to where I would come running out.

There ARE ways to combat it (mud , natural repellents, big shield blankets or screens) but man... I wouldn't want to be in there for a lot of days with the number of bugs. And he doesn't have fire to help with bug repelling advantage if he's within the search area (I really don't think he is).

It's not cool in Florida yet but it will be in a couple of months!
Yeah, the rain and storms would get to anyone who's outside without shelter.
Maybe BL has one of those tents that are body shaped, like the picture I attached.

A bivvy sack type of thing. He'd be smart to take one, but even with an under tarp, it seems like it would be hard to keep that dry for very long.

It’s a broad recap of everything. I haven’t heard anything I didn’t already know or learn from here. You’re not missing anything.
My one take-away from the 48 Hours program was the woman who was working in the shop when they came in for milkshakes. She said she struck up a conversation with Gabby about the flower tattoo on her arm and they chatted awhile. She said BL then interjected himself into the conversation to bring up the fact that they were engaged and wanted Gabby to talk about their engagement. That made me think that BL seems jealous of all the attention Gabby was getting on social media whereas he is just in the background.

It just seems like they should have noticed something. It just seemed odd to me how jovial BL was, in the middle of a fight. They acted like Gabby had mental issues but I actually thought that her emotions made more sense. Especially when she said, He was trying to lock me out of the van and I was trying to get my phone back. I don't think they breached any protocols, probably thought they made the right decision, but the way they buddied up to Brian reminds me of how they treated domestic violence victims 30-40 years ago. It seems not much has really changed.

Yep my concern is that they didn't check her for injuries, or ask her if she felt safe. They seemed to miss the implications of her being locked out of her own van, fighting to get her own phone back, being pushed by and face grabbed by Brian (who admits it initially). She definitely told the bearded officer about the face grab and the cut on her cheek. It is discussed that "she has marks on her too". And yet they took no pictures of hers, just Brian's.

I think it's also important to remember that she likely could see out of the police car. I was trying to imagine how I would feel watching the cops palling around with Brian, joking and smiling, talking to him for much longer periods of time but in a more relaxed way. I don't think I would feel very safe, or that the cops would believe me if I did speak more frankly. Especially when they take a different tone with her and sort of crowd her in, while she's sitting the car. JMO.

Just in case you still have illusions about long term survival camping here. This river flood report below is from the National Weather Service.

This level of flooding brings out every creature know to man. Humans become the prey. A hammock in a tree? The snakes will thank you for making their life easier. You may sleep thru that rattler’s warning. Slogging thru water you might stir up a nest of water moccasins. But you won’t live to tell about it.

Those palmetto bushes? The roots are 3’ deep and teaming with palmetto bugs. They’re cockroaches. They can get 3”-4” big, fly and bite. They’ll eat anything.

Red ant mounds - they interlock their legs and float like a raft. Their bite is the same as a bee sting. If you’re allergic, you better have an epi pen or two. (I have 6 and I don’t hike!)

Boars will root the soil until they’ve turned it into muck and it becomes quick sand. They’re mean and aggressive.

You’d need to wear a mosquito netting hood and suit. The flies and vultures, well they’re just extra.

Definitely not hospitable grounds to the average camper. An absolute miserable environment in 90 degree heat.

The Flood Warning remains in effect...The Flood Warning continues for the Myakka River At Myakka River State Park.

* Until further notice.

* At 9:00 PM EDT Friday the stage was 8.1 feet.

* Flood stage is 7.0 feet.

* Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast.

* Recent Activity...The maximum river stage in the 24 hours ending at 9:00 PM EDT Friday was 8.0 feet.

* Forecast...The river is expected to remain steady above flood stage at 8.2 feet.

* Impact...At 8.5 feet, Most of Myakka State Park is closed.

* Flood History...This crest compares to a previous crest of 8.3 feet on 09/30/1997. && Fld Observed Forecasts (8 am EDT) Location Stg Stg Day/Time Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Myakka River Myakka River Stat 7.0 8.0 Fri 9 pm 8.2 8.2 8.1 8.0 7.8 &&

I have four grandchildren. Their mother is right handed and their father is left handed. All of them do some things with their right hand and other things with their left hand. I can never remember which.

Yeah, left handed people have had to adapt to using their right hands for a lot of things. Like using scissors, opening jars, etc. Though for me, I have always held my utensils when eating with my left hand.

Firm several make friends who are or were police officers. (I don't know any that are female)
They absolutely HATE to respond to domestic violence calls. Those are the calls where it can go downhill fast and they end up in danger.
Not that it excuses anything, but I imagine it is very tense for them and to brush it off I the lesser of two evils.
Sad, more isn't done, but the police aren't employed to to do what would need to be done in domestic violence cases.
Even that small encounter took them around an hour. Most don't have that kind of time to spend and council people.
IMO
Then they should be trained better. They especially should be trained to not take one person's side because they have their own biases. That officer telling BL about his toxic ex wife was completely and utterly unprofessional and showed his bias.

It seems like the more you look at this case, the less you know. It begins with the death of this optimistic, free spirited girl and ends with the deafening silence of people who had her living under their roof for two years. Its almost like - Well, we took out the garbage, let's clean out the garage and clean the litter pan. Just another day.
...and the world is incredulous.
The abject horror and abysmal sorrow suffered by Gabby's family over their missing, now dead, child - is nowhere to be seen from parents claiming the same misfortune. No public plea for help. No interviews with LE. Nothing. No plea to return with a promise of safety. Nothing. It is the most astonishing parental no big deal missing child case I have ever heard of. They say he's in the wind. That's it. They will allow a million dollars of public funds to be spent chasing their personal ghost, but they would not betray a moment's concern about the little girl their son planned to marry or her parents driven mad with worry.
The mystery of this case is not the murder. The mystery of this case is the nature of the people who lived with her day to day and offered exactly nothing to solve her murder or assuage the heartache of those who struggle to survive her vanishing and death.
I don't know how all of this is going to end, but I will follow the evolution of this monstrous example of depraved indifference to it's finish. This particular form of torture is a cosmic crime, that's the length and breadth of it, and it stinks to the regions of Ursa Major.
I'm thoroughly disgusted.

To be fair, I have thought this as well. However, if you think about it. They already have all of the FBI and everyone else in the world already looking for him. I don't think they could do anything else. I'm not supported them in anyway though.

Shannon Clowe on Twitter
A truly beautiful sunset in North Port where Gabby’s butterfly release is happening #GabbyPetito #justiceforgabby

7:34 PM · Sep 25, 2021 from North Port, FL·Twitter for iPhone
Yes, what beauty. We and the world have lost a beautiful human being. Oh, my heart aches for her mom and dad. She was a Daddy's Girl for sure. How he loved her -- as did her mom. So glad she was around that kind of love for all of her years. The real and unselfish kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20