Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was BL complaining about the price? They are usually on the menu. What do you think made him angry?

I was interested in the theory posed by another member previously (sorry, can't remember who it was) about them possibly hoping for a free meal or a discount as social media influencers.

Post pics and compliments about the restaurant on Gabby's site, in payment (or partial payment) for their meal.
I have read of other social media influencers asking for exactly this - with some success and some lack of success.

I told my daughters; a good relationship will make you want to be your best self. The relationship between BL and GP seems parasitic. He drained energy from GP, he created demands on her time, he supported her success only to the point that it benefited him, he created messes that she tried to clean up, he diminished her in the eyes of others and wore her down. While others may see what is happening, I think it can be very difficult to recognize you are in a parasitic relationship, especially if you are isolated from friends and family. When you realize that you need to fight, you are too weak to win. In nature, it is not in the best interest for a parasite to kill the host, because they both end up dying. The parasite would need to find another life to support it.
May you fly high Gabby, with renewed energy and spirit.

In that case, I would have called. When a customer makes other customers or employees feel unsafe by not complying with our requests that is no bueno. No one has the right to make other people feel that way and someone has to take control of the situation.
I think so too. I also wonder if anyone else in the place reported the incident.

I don't really blame LE. Hindsight is the easiest thing in the world to jump to when making conclusions after the fact. I actually thought they played everything by the book. They couldn't arrest anybody - however they made the most sensible suggestion to split the two people apart for the night. They did not have to do this - they could have simply took this to be a domestic issue - which they all deal with day in and day out. They didn't. They realised that the couple were not in a normal communal situation, with no friends or family about, and they made the best call that they could do. If you think LE were going to do a stake-outze on this couple, you really need to educate yourselves on the time and manpower that this would take. It normally takes 6 to 7 people to properly track what one person is doing. That would have meant 14 LE staff were simply watching these two. That manpower is simply not available. Added to the fact that 80 percent of DV cases end up without anyone eventually pressing charges. We can all sit and judge, but until we do, it's only fair to think how we would manage the resources that we've got? 'After the fact' is the easiest thing to comment on. 'During the fact' is far more relevant and important.
No one expected them to do a stake out. I did expect them to be fair. They had a report of a male hitting a woman and they inspected HIS injuries, not hers. The palled up to the person who was reported to be hitting her. The male officer sympathized with him because he had a 'toxic' exwife. He laughed when BL called her crazy. You could see BL getting more and more cocky the longer the incident went on.

What we know about Gabby Petito's final days - CNN

Aug 12 incident:
•someone drove by a couple with a white van with a Florida license plate and called 911 to report they saw "the gentleman was slapping the girl."
•a witness on site wrote in a sworn statement the two were "talking aggressively at each other and something seemed off."
•another witness, Chris, said it appeared the two were arguing over control of Petito's phone, and said he saw the young woman at one point "punching (Laundrie) in the arm and/or face and trying to get into the van."
•"Why do you have to be so mean," Chris wrote he heard Petito say to Laundrie, although Chris added that he couldn't be sure whether the comment was meant to be taken seriously.
•A National Park Service ranger who also responded to the call spent about an hour and a half with Petito and warned her that her relationship with Laundrie had markings of a "toxic" one

The comment “why do you have to be so mean” sticks out, because she then projected what she thought of his behavior onto herself when speaking with the officer.

She said she told Brian that it was she who was sorry “for being so mean” when nothing we know she had done seemed to indicate truly mean behavior. Nor did she seem like a “mean” person according to other people’s impressions of her, or from what we can glean from her known actions.

I'd be interested in hearing what the officers could have done to change the trajectory. When I think about it I can't envision what they could have done that would have stopped GP and BL from reuniting.
Exactly. They did all that was in their powers to do. GB and PL were adults - LE cannot and should not be expected to babysit them. It's simply impossible. To do this would require LE staff numbers to increase at least 7 fold. Impossible.

Hypothetically, if they had followed the law. Someone might be in jail and in need of bond money. And in having to get bond money from a possible parental figure, said parental figure might just insist on separation. There is no downplaying an arrest to a parent, but it is possible it was downplayed in the back of the police cruiser if it was mentioned at all.
From what LE was saying at the scene, it sounded like what would have happened was that she would have spent the night in jail because it was after hours and BL couldn't go to the courthouse and say he wasn't interested in pressing charges. The officers were saying to him that he could just go get her in the morning and then go to the courthouse to say he wasn't pressing charges on his way out of town. But that she had committed a crime against the state and that she would still probably have to appear. This is all from memory, so I could have part of that wrong. But I don't think she was going to be asked to post bond.

I agree with the hundreds of posts in regard to the lack of comprehension on the part of the poor Moab LE chaps.. They did miss the trick , though, by ignoring the speeding, and the original headsup from the public re Brian's propensity to batter women in the main street in broad daylight.... but....

In my opinion... Brian has been doing this all his life.. He was in a state of utter relaxation after bringing Gabby into line, she's a sobbing wreck, her morning ruined, her aspirations denigrated, her psyche shattered , and now, he has an opportunity to actually bring down a heavier oppression on her, what a moment for him, hence his casual stroll out of the car to begin his instant method of deflection.

She's crazy, I'm long suffering. She has silly aspirations, while I try and manage the fall out. She needs a bit of a talking to, while I must have some blokey understanding.... and so on.

And he is good at it. Long years of practice, probably on every human being he ever came in contact with has been subjected to Brian's peculiar gaslighting tactics, with always the very same result, Brian coming out of whatever nonsense he got up to , as clean as a whistle. That is the goal. This is what LE needs training in, the smooth operative who is instantly cool in circumstances that he should be a tad rattled in.

If he has to diminish Gabby, or whomsoever, that is what happens.

I don't think Gabby lasted long after that restaurant episode. .. ( interesting to me was that it was all women wait staff, Brian's favorite , ) and his four goes at claiming the high ground gives a bit of an insight into how far he liked to go. Because he liked to push things to the limit.

Gabby going back in to apologise would have been seen as the ultimate betrayal by Brian, ( no clue as to civil discourse at all ) and she would have shamed him, and he would not, could not live with that , under any circumstances.

Is he dead?... He isn't in that swamp, alive.

He isn't an attractive man, she could have done so much better...

Great observations, IMO. I wish so much that Gabby's mother had said, Dump this guy for awhile. Go date other guys,... see what else is out there. I think Gabby and BL were so familiar with each other they had some co-dependency going on, were so used to how they treated each other it no longer sent up any red flags, if it ever had. People can get used to bad behavior in long relationships.

Yeah, LE needs to be trained in being gaslighted by controlling men who take over situations and divert blame, but you would think that would be part of their training already. It's just so common.

The comment “why do you have to be so mean” sticks out, because she then projected what she thought of his behavior onto herself when speaking with the officer.

She said she told Brian that it was she who was sorry “for being so mean” when nothing we know she had done seemed to indicate truly mean behavior. Nor did she seem like a “mean” person according to other people’s impressions of her, or from what we can glean from her known actions.
Exactly, it is akin to the differences in love languages. Everyone interprets love differently. Her words "for being so mean" mean something totally different when she is referring to herself than what she likely thought Brian was being. Additionally, it is likely she didn't fully have appropriate boundaries to identifying "meanness" and Brian was a whole heck of a lot meaner than she realized.

Oh, all sorts of things. Maybe he didn't know he'd need to pay for the extra tortilla that he got with his fajita, or thought the coke refill would be free. People get out of sorts for all sorts of stupid reasons when they are in restaurants.

It is possible that it didn't matter what the catalyst was, as long as there was one. In a pinch , Brian's type make a catalyst, spill a drink, insert a bug into the salad,
unscrew the pepper mill to ruin the meal, all sorts of sabotage, as long as 'an incident' can develop with the payoff of shouting invective and blame, and labelling shortcomings to people, ... he went back 4 times to underline his ascending fury , he was enjoying it so much..

Only someone enjoying it would go back again and again to shout probably the same invective, it mesmerises themselves, they see themselves from an outside perspective as some sword wielding warrior slashing away at some barrier, usually some sane persons refusal to agree to their terms and conditions..

It is habitual and ingrained and well rehearsed and practiced.. It doesn't just 'happen'..

Do we know if it was her parents Gabby called from the DV stop? Her mom or her dad? Those who have listened to their interviews- have any of her parents said they talked to her at that time?
No neither have. At least not in the interviews I've seen and read.

I have occasionally wondered if Gabby paid for most of the expenses on that trip.
I think it was in the 48 Hours documentary that GP’s mom addresses this. She says that she supported the van plan and that the kids both worked and saved up for it (the van and the trip). Presumably, this is what GP told her and is therefore her understanding. However, children are not always 100% honest with their parents. I tend to believe that they both did because BL was also working, and they couldn’t have had much in the way of expenses like rent, loans, etc.

Hypothetically, if they had followed the law. Someone might be in jail and in need of bond money. And in having to get bond money from a possible parental figure, said parental figure might just insist on separation. There is no downplaying an arrest to a parent, but it is possible it was downplayed in the back of the police cruiser if it was mentioned at all.

Or not, or at least not successfully, and the person who is arrested now has a dv arrest on their public record. The cops, imo, had absolutely no reason to think she'd wind up dead, and scapegoating them is awful imo. And I'm no stan for the popo and have also been subject to major dv involving very significant injuries and threats with deadly weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth