Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this has already been discussed...
Why would BL not delete his personal social media (or potentially Gabby's if he had access to her computer/cell phone)? He had plenty of time between the time that he left Wyoming. I would think that he would realize the amount of post of posts that were potentially incriminating or suspicious.

You would think that a sense Of self preservation would outweigh any narcissistic tendencies, but maybe not.

MOO

If you've ever tried to delete a social media account, you may have found that it isn't as easy as it seems. Deleting individual posts is time consuming and deleting the entire account usually prompts a message that they will "hold" your account open for at least 30 days in case you change your mind. IMO even if the accounts were deleted, they would still be accessible on the backend by Instagram, Spotify, YouTube, etc.

Snipped for response's clarity.
I think that because this is the simplest answer, it's probably the right one. IMO he panicked, and the hitchhiking is part of that.
But an interesting theory I saw on twitter (ironically of a reddit post) argued that potentially, Brian using Gabby's cards on the trip back home was him trying to give a "paper trail" of Gabby's activity, making it seem like she was still alive. Which makes sense, IMO, more than him just accidentally using Gabby's cards along the way.

Maybe, but he doesn't seem like a chess player (meaning thinking out moves ten steps ahead). More just seems like he's broke - and possibly with a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Great post! Very useful, especially in this case. I hope he stopped at a rest stop, but it sounds like license plate readers and fueling stops are the best bet for tracking his whereabouts in a vehicle.
I would def agree! Some smaller municipalities might be able to do 24/7 recording on their roads. However, for state routes that are maintained by a state DOT. It’s more likely that those do not record. Florida DOT’s system for their traffic camera network is Florida 511. Alabama’s is ALGO Traffic. Just if anyone is interested to aid in their sleuthing. Not sure about the other neighboring states & what they call their networks.

They don’t want help because HE AINT MISSIN! Lol jmo but he wasn’t posing a threat to them! Can’t just call cops for someone knocking on your door
BBM

They did. And I hope some bored sounding 911 operator told them, “M’am it isn’t a crime to knock on someone’s door. This number is for emergencies only.”
I do not understand these people. They did not want to assist LE when GP was missing, but now they want LE to assist them?
Irony at it’s finest. :p

Snipped for response's clarity.
I think that because this is the simplest answer, it's probably the right one. IMO he panicked, and the hitchhiking is part of that.
But an interesting theory I saw on twitter (ironically of a reddit post) argued that potentially, Brian using Gabby's cards on the trip back home was him trying to give a "paper trail" of Gabby's activity, making it seem like she was still alive. Which makes sense, IMO, more than him just accidentally using Gabby's cards along the way.
Accidentally? Nope! This guy seems to be one fry short of a Happy Meal. He seems to react rather than think.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed...
Why would BL not delete his personal social media (or potentially Gabby's if he had access to her computer/cell phone)? He had plenty of time between the time that he left Wyoming. I would think that he would realize the amount of post of posts that were potentially incriminating or suspicious.

You would think that a sense Of self preservation would outweigh any narcissistic tendencies, but maybe not.

MOO

I have to say - if I'd just caused my girlfriend's death and then went on the lam, my social media accounts would be somewhere in the bottom 3% of things on my mind.

Well, I think there's a reason it's known as Van Life. It hasn't "always been" the thing it is now. I say this because I have worked in and for National Parks for years, visit many parks and forests, and...Van Life is affecting my own home town and the way of life here. It has not always been the way it is right now. Sure, people have lived on the road since Kerouac and Steinbeck. But it's different now.

First of all, it's a movement involving thousands of leaders (influencers and others), who have various businesses encouraging people to live on the road. In vans, not traditional RV's. The only place I'd ever seen them, until the past few years, was Yosemite. They take on active environmentalist stance, but there are real fights within this subculture about just what it means to do what they're. doing (gas, use of the outdoors as a toilet, etc). So there are different subdivisions within the culture. Entire businesses have sprung up around converting vans for Van Life. Prices of old vans are going through the roof.

Youtube made it possible for the Small House and Van Life movements to really get off the ground. Dyrt is now a thing, so that Van Lifers can find their way. into every inhabitable portion of National Forests and BLM land (sometimes illegally, it's a PITA for forest officials, it's been easier this year to just shut down forests rather than try to police the massive number of vans and tiny trailers on public lands, often without sanitary facilities.

Just in the past two months, three women are murdered while living the Van Life.

It used to be that these areas saw very few people. One could count on getting some place to throw up a tent, but no more. Volumes of visitors to national forests have tripled in the past 3 years and continue to rise. The average age of an RV user used to be around 60. Van Lifers are in their twenties. I guess soon they'll be in their 30's (although. of course, they give up the van life - but the curious thing is that there are plenty of new Van Lifers to replace them).

Anyway, Van Life is a youth movement similar to the commune-seeking, roadside-dwelling hippies of the 70's, except with vans that are, from my perspective, expensive. Yosemite has had to increase its vigilance about illegal overnight parking and change the rules for Camp Four altogether. I haven't seen so many policy changes in Yosemite since the 70's.

So from my point of view, this is a cultural form that is as distinctive as the Mod movement or the Hippy movement. It has a different history than RVing, and there's no way that there were as many Van Lifers in California 5 years ago, as there are now. My own town had to spend 2 years enacting new ordinances and finding ways to fund enforcement. Santa Monica is still spending so much money on enforcement, but at least now they too have laws against living in vans on its streets. People still do it, but it's lessened.

The number of images that come up if you search for Van Life right now, in late 2021, is astronomically larger than it was two years ago.
'
Van Life is closely associated with influencers or those who have figured out a passive income via the internet. Being able to live off Insta or Youtube is new and precarious, but people are doing it. I know one person who is doing it through Youtube and passive income (investments...guided entirely by a particular online community of which she is a part, perhaps now a leader).

As I write this, I'm once again questioning whether I should alert local LE when I know people are violating our anti-Van Life ordinances. But I know that they know (they have to, right?) but they only do something when a crime is committed in one of the hidden parking lots where the Van Lifers live. Alongside the Van Lifers are also the Bike Lifers, but they are a very small group (living in the same parking lots). And there is crime associated with these places. So now we have different kinds of homeless; the major places where the homeless camp (with their tents, grocery carts, etc) are still the same. But now we have these other homeless populations as well.

When I use the phrase "Van Life" I am referring to this movement - and not to the people who lived in their cars during the Great Depression. Indeed, living in a car is not considered Van Life by Van Lifers.

I don't think you are wrong about the explosion of "van lifers". It's always been a thing but it has exploded. I do disagree with it being some kind of movement or in any way comparable to the "hippy movements" of days gone by. For a lot of millennials (note; the eldest are in their 40s) it's become necessity to seek out other forms or alternative forms of shelter.

We have a serious housing shortage in this country. Housing costs are through the roof and wages have been stagnant for decades. I'm in my 40's and A LOT of my friends are turning to community living, RV or van living, tiny houses, etc. as the only livable solution. I see friends daily sharing information on real estate or property purchases with multiple families, alternatives to housing in general and minimizing.

It isn't a "movement" it's become either "live at home" (which 52% of 18-29 year olds are right now) OR find another way to live on your own that isn't the traditional "purchase the house with white picket fence". You might view the vans as "expensive" but they're a heck of a lot cheaper than housing in this country is. And IME the majority of people out there aren't you tubers, influencers or in their 20's. Sure, there are some but mostly it's people trying to get by within the current conditions of this country. Average millennial salary = $46,000 typical home price $287k. You can't even come close to getting a loan with that discrepancy if housing WAS available.

That would be a clever way to get a message to them but I doubt BL is that smart or creative.
I personally don’t see that happening. Can you imagine that the person at the shop writing that message on a note to deliver flowers wouldn’t tell the cops?
On the other hand going prominently into the house with a gallon of milk could be a perfect sign. Eat your Wheaties, son, we're with you. IMO
made me spit my coffee

it could have been a deposition. And offices in Orlando was where their lawyer chose to meet them to do it. These days everything is also weird due to Covid and the use of zoom etc. But if they were giving a deposition they would want their lawyer present.
Why would their lawyer choose Orlando rather than a city closer to them? I think he was introducing them to a lawyer he knows is a good defense attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste