Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t it be that he is touched by this story (like many of us here) and he happens to be in a job (hunting fugitives) where his knowledge and resources can be helpful?

if you were in a position, would you not try to help?

I'm not doggin’ The Dog! Go get em!

The Van Life influencers that are running businesses centered around their van life experiences are, for the most part, responsible human beings who are enjoying the freedom of their lifestyle, much like RVers. Van lifers are minimalists and most are environmentally conscious. They care, in other words. Then there are the van lifers that squat in Wal-Mart parking lots, run generators, have cookouts with lawn chairs, etc. I would say that most van lifers, especially influencers, care about their impact, because it affects their lifestyle adversely otherwise. Many van lifers transition to owning their own land after years on the road.

I owned a large Ford Transit cargo van, which I outfitted with all the things I needed to live my own van life. I traveled with it and I enjoyed it. I didn't park where I wasn't supposed to. I didn't leave trash where I camped. I obeyed park rules. At the end of the day, I was just a camper enjoying the freedom of the van life.

One thing that has always bothered me is the disdain people have for people who want to travel and live in a vehicle. The "American Dream" is what we want in life, not necessarily the cookie cutter picket fence. Some don't want a mortgage and a garage full of junk collecting dust.

Just because you choose to live in a van and travel doesn't make you a menace to society by default. As with any lifestyle, there is good and bad and there is impact. What do we do when the roads get too congested because of the "American Dream"? We expand the roads and we redirect traffic.

What can we do with the increase in van lifers in National Parks? Set up rules that keep them in rotation, so that all can enjoy the lifestyle without impacting the parks adversely. It can be done. Just shunning them as societal outcasts isn't going to work, people will find other ways to live the way they want, like transitioning to boating if they are no longer welcome on land.

In van lifers, I see people who want to be free. Free of debt, free of exorbitant costs, free to enjoy nature, free of the constraints placed on them by what is considered normal. Van lifers are finding innovative ways to live and be successful, by creating businesses and saving money, while living like they are retired. Some are photographers, videographers, even web designers and writers. Entrepreneurs. These aren't homeless bums who live in squalor.

Again, not dismissing the bad apples at all, but these are normal people who aspire to something greater for themselves, they just do it on the road.

JMO
Which, I agree is very cool, as long as they are paying income taxes, soc sec etc like everyone stuck at home w a mortgage, or paying rent. JMO

Unbelievable how fast these threads have been moving and everyone following this. When I read one of the first headlines Monday morning, September 13th and how strange it initially all sounded I had a sense this was going to be "yuge." I've not posted in a few days but I wanted to say, I do still think Brian is alive. I don't think he's moving however, I think he's stationary. I can't quite explain it, but for a week now I have had this feeling he's somewhere in Georgia. Of course I could be 100% wrong and they find him randomly in western North Carolina or eastern Tennessee in a tent on the Appalachian Trail. I also feel like when they find him he's going to look absolutely terrible. Like shockingly terrible. ~All just a feeling of course.

I wonder who is starting to make the "Missing Brian Laundrie" podcast as we speak.

Please remove this if it breaks rules, it might and that is fair. MOO!!!! I agree completely. This case is SO odd and strange that it creates space for some suspicions about what is really happening here. When the financial rewards start rolling in from places NOT connected to official law enforcement or FBI, it can trigger, for me anyhow, some suspicions related to motivation or staging, or some odd way to send money to someone like Dog. If Dog ends up receiving these rewards and finds Brian, regardless of what happens after that, it makes it icky, feels staged, whether or not it is spun as a legitimate discovery...too commercialized. For me, it somehow taints the entire process if such a thing happens....

The whole point of offering a reward is to incentivise people to actively search for BL. Dog has more tools in his toolbox and connections to do this. I personally could care less who finds him. If Dog does? Give that man his money and a cigar.

MOO.

Well, taking off on a trip isn't a crime. It's not likely a witness would be mistaken about seeing someone being murdered.

MOO

But if the murderer were a stranger, the witness might be extremely likely to misidentify the murderer. And I’ve seen studies that claim that there’s not that much correlation between a witness’s confidence and accuracy. That matches my personal experience, too.

MOO

Hello everyone. First post on WS. I have been trying to keep up with all the threads, posts and news.

I'm wondering what are you thoughts about what's BL goal with this in case he's still alive. Basically, what could possibly be his plan? To be on the run for the rest of his life? As far as some people that know him, he can hide for some time, but forever is a different story. It just requires money, skills and a personality that I don't know if it's in him. Is he hiding out while the lawyer prepare some kind of defense?

In my opinion, being on the run, showing up without GP to his parents house, and his parents not answering GP texts/calls (as far as I know this is the case) just reads guilty all over or at least highly suspicious if I'm being kind. He could say that he was scared because he was going to be automatically targeted a suspect for the death of GP but that's very flaky.

The fact that they keep searching around the same area (even if the FBI is going to lead the search now), and not - at least not publicly - elsewhere makes me wonder if either they don't have any leads that he could be anywhere else and this is just "the most likely place he could be" or they have leads that point to this area. I understand it's not a small area but he's just one guy that's on the run and doesn't have "on the run experience" (even if he has hiking experience).
Hi, and welcome! Thanks for your post, I loved it. I too have been thinking a lot about BL's "goals" and "plans." And not just when it comes to being a fugitive from the law. What about from the get-go, before anything went awry?

What was his plan on this van trip? If he didn't want to participate in the blog, then how did he anticipate funding this venture? If he had plenty of savings, why did he (ostensibly) risk using GP's debit card or tell the Moab cops he couldn't pay for a hotel room?

I keep coming back to this, because I cannot make sense of it. I understand that young people don't always have well-thought-out plans. I'm not young and I don't have well-thought-out plans, tbh. But how can someone take off on a cross country trip without the funding, or plans to obtain it (i.e. becoming a famous blogger or influencer or whatever).

Did he rely on Gabby? Did he rely on his or her parents? Did he exhaust his own savings by then (so early on in the trip) and, if so, how or why?

MELONS AREN'T FREE! Welcome thoughts, I'd love to hear what others are thinking. And of course, this is all my opinion only.

Which, I agree is very cool, as long as they are paying income taxes, soc sec etc like everyone stuck at home w a mortgage, or paying rent. JMO

I believe this to be the case for any income, regardless of where you are, unless they're ducking under the radar. I'm retired (at the age of 50) and live on a pension, so I could travel without the need to pay income tax or social security, but I would say that most who are making money on the road have a home state that they claim and file taxes in, also paying any social security. Otherwise, the IRS would catch up with them in short order.

As.i.see it!
Its his Advice they sought for.all.of them!

I believe he has held himself out as the lawyer for the family, no? If and when their interests diverge, the attorney would have an ethical conflict and have to discontinue representation of one or the other.

Edit: I don't know if that's how he has described his representation. I'd rather expect that he is formally the parents' attorney, precisely for the ethical considerations I mentioned.

Last edited:
I’m curious what the FBI has been able to obtain (if any) on the parents. Whether given the OK by the parents or by a judge. I’d imagine the phones would hold some important info. They obviously haven’t hauled the truck away and you’d think that Dodge Ram would hold information in regards to where the camper was taken.

It’s an interesting situation. The FBI comes to assist in finding their missing son at their request. However, it would appear they’re not providing every bit of information they possibly could to assist in the matter. While they absolutely have the legal right to do so, it's certainly an interesting stance to take if they truly want their son to be found.

Maybe the Laundrie parents are waiting for a larger (_much_ larger) reward and will eventually collect.

Well, I think there's a reason it's known as Van Life. It hasn't "always been" the thing it is now. I say this because I have worked in and for National Parks for years, visit many parks and forests, and...Van Life is affecting my own home town and the way of life here. It has not always been the way it is right now. Sure, people have lived on the road since Kerouac and Steinbeck. But it's different now.

First of all, it's a movement involving thousands of leaders (influencers and others), who have various businesses encouraging people to live on the road. In vans, not traditional RV's. The only place I'd ever seen them, until the past few years, was Yosemite. They take on active environmentalist stance, but there are real fights within this subculture about just what it means to do what they're. doing (gas, use of the outdoors as a toilet, etc). So there are different subdivisions within the culture. Entire businesses have sprung up around converting vans for Van Life. Prices of old vans are going through the roof.

Youtube made it possible for the Small House and Van Life movements to really get off the ground. Dyrt is now a thing, so that Van Lifers can find their way. into every inhabitable portion of National Forests and BLM land (sometimes illegally, it's a PITA for forest officials, it's been easier this year to just shut down forests rather than try to police the massive number of vans and tiny trailers on public lands, often without sanitary facilities.

Just in the past two months, three women are murdered while living the Van Life.

It used to be that these areas saw very few people. One could count on getting some place to throw up a tent, but no more. Volumes of visitors to national forests have tripled in the past 3 years and continue to rise. The average age of an RV user used to be around 60. Van Lifers are in their twenties. I guess soon they'll be in their 30's (although. of course, they give up the van life - but the curious thing is that there are plenty of new Van Lifers to replace them).

Anyway, Van Life is a youth movement similar to the commune-seeking, roadside-dwelling hippies of the 70's, except with vans that are, from my perspective, expensive. Yosemite has had to increase its vigilance about illegal overnight parking and change the rules for Camp Four altogether. I haven't seen so many policy changes in Yosemite since the 70's.

So from my point of view, this is a cultural form that is as distinctive as the Mod movement or the Hippy movement. It has a different history than RVing, and there's no way that there were as many Van Lifers in California 5 years ago, as there are now. My own town had to spend 2 years enacting new ordinances and finding ways to fund enforcement. Santa Monica is still spending so much money on enforcement, but at least now they too have laws against living in vans on its streets. People still do it, but it's lessened.

The number of images that come up if you search for Van Life right now, in late 2021, is astronomically larger than it was two years ago.
'
Van Life is closely associated with influencers or those who have figured out a passive income via the internet. Being able to live off Insta or Youtube is new and precarious, but people are doing it. I know one person who is doing it through Youtube and passive income (investments...guided entirely by a particular online community of which she is a part, perhaps now a leader).

As I write this, I'm once again questioning whether I should alert local LE when I know people are violating our anti-Van Life ordinances. But I know that they know (they have to, right?) but they only do something when a crime is committed in one of the hidden parking lots where the Van Lifers live. Alongside the Van Lifers are also the Bike Lifers, but they are a very small group (living in the same parking lots). And there is crime associated with these places. So now we have different kinds of homeless; the major places where the homeless camp (with their tents, grocery carts, etc) are still the same. But now we have these other homeless populations as well.

When I use the phrase "Van Life" I am referring to this movement - and not to the people who lived in their cars during the Great Depression. Indeed, living in a car is not considered Van Life by Van Lifers.
Thanks so much for saying this.
I agree that "Van Life" is a movement, a whole different "movement" than anything we've seen before. And it's absolutely not a response to lack of affordable housing. It's hip and it's young. As far as I can tell, these are not a penniless subset of the homeless population. They use restaurants, go to bars, etc. IME it's actually not cheap to do what they're doing, even if they spend zero for rent.

The last time I did significant roaming in my car (a Honda Element with a DIY bed), most everyone living in a van was over 62, because 62+ with lifetime National Park passes can camp for 1/2 price in any Federal campgrounds (TVA, BLM, USFS, NP....). For some, it's a lifestyle choice, for others necessity because seniors often have a difficult time getting employed or keeping employment, and then they can't afford rent. Many of these folks are "connected", but many aren't SM oriented. Many are just surviving.

IMO "vanlife" is not like the hippy movement, either. My experience was that hippies were just a different genre of regular people. (Alot of my friends were once hippies, and eventually became attorneys, psychologists, doctors..... lol) It was a counter-culture. It was a time of great change and challenge to the ways we had always done things before. There was the Vietnam War, the murder of MLK and RFK, more professional opportunity for women, a desire for smaller families, environmentalism, etc....

Yep. They're not mutually exclusive. Just like every single media organization covering this. They want to help, of course... but there is also big money behind it. MOO
That's what I was saying.

No telling how old that was though. One thing you find a lot of around public campsites is lots of ashes, either from where the fire was built or where somebody dumped wet ash from a fire pit.
I don't think they ever set up a tent there....it was not a specified camp spot. Just parked the van in a small pull-off off of the road. JMO

Thank you ...

I'm sure the FBI has tracked there cell phones during this period. It makes no sense that BL would go on another trip just days after returning from a two month trip.

I hope the truth comes out sooner than later and all responsible for Gabby's death face justice.

MBFE

"All responsible for Gabby's death..."

There's just one person suspected, right?

Exactly and if you were worried about him harming himself you would be distressed and pleading for help to find him first. Their actions don't match their story one bit.
They may have had no idea what their son did!
He could say we decided to.come home we were.fighting I drove she was going to fly!! Please.do t talk to her parents I can't deal with them now. So they dont! When cops start coming for.van A d the missing person into starts they know something is wrong and call the lawyer that says. Say nothing!
Then he bolts!
We just.don't know!
Wait and see they will.talk. In Time

Please remove this if it breaks rules, it might and that is fair. MOO!!!! I agree completely. This case is SO odd and strange that it creates space for some suspicions about what is really happening here. When the financial rewards start rolling in from places NOT connected to official law enforcement or FBI, it can trigger, for me anyhow, some suspicions related to motivation or staging, or some odd way to send money to someone like Dog. If Dog ends up receiving these rewards and finds Brian, regardless of what happens after that, it makes it icky, feels staged, whether or not it is spun as a legitimate discovery...too commercialized. For me, it somehow taints the entire process if such a thing happens....
I understand that sentiment. For me, I don't care how they get him. If people like Dog and Walsh getting involved brings attention to this and puts Brian's face out there so people can see it, I'm all for it. If it hadn't been for all the attention, Gabby would still be laying out there because LE had no idea where to even begin looking. It was people seeing the news and realizing they had seen them that led to finding her. It takes a village, and this just widens that village awareness.

Thank you ...

I'm sure the FBI has tracked there cell phones during this period. It makes no sense that BL would go on another trip just days after returning from a two month trip.

I hope the truth comes out sooner than later and all responsibile for Gabby's death face justice.

I don't believe the FBI would be tracking their phones at this point, the neighbor reported the trip was ~Sept 2nd - 4th and Gabby was not reported missing until the 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee