Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Cause of Death= A medical opinion of the disease or injury that resulted in a person’s death. (What the person died of)
  • Manner of Death= Classification system developed for public health statistics based on the circumstances under which death occurred (How the person died); Manners of death currently includes 5 categories:
  • Accident= An unexpected or unforeseen death due to injury.
  • Homicide= Death as a result of a volitional act committed by another person (e.g. injury, poisoning).
  • Natural= Death due solely to natural disease.
  • Suicide= Death resulting from intentional self-inflicted act.
  • Undetermined= Manner of death used when the information pointing to one manner of death is no more compelling than another.
This is from SUDC.org

I think I used manner of death incorrectly in a previous post.

I think "method of death" (not sure if that is an official term) would have been a better term for me to use.
Cause of death...THAT'S what I'm waiting for. It will better define dear little Gabby's damage and give better insight into her killer's mindset.

Lots of evidence exists outside of DNA.

If the USA lists him as a suspect, or charge him, the punishment could be death penalty.

Mexico and Canada will not extradite if he is looking at death penalty.

USA wants him.

Therefore, they will probably not charge him with the murder until they get him in custody.

Interesting theory. I am not sure that charging him with homicide equates to the death penalty. I think they just don't have the evidence they need yet.

He didn't really know she was dead so he just drove off with her van back to Florida? I wouldn't buy that defence and I'm not sure a jury would either.

No. I don’t buy it either. But it’s up to the jury which will have direction from judge on what they have to ignore and what to take seriously , to make that decision.

a jury could easily ignore possibility that Big Foot got her

I’d it possible she met someone or some people snd told BL that she was leaving with them, tired of his bossy ways and fighting,; to just take the van snd leave, and he takes a hike as he seems to do a lot, and she’s gone when he comes back. Assumed she meant it and takes van home. Has been using her card without a thought, likely pooled funds anyways, and heads home. Tells parents he doesn’t want to talk about it. Until word that parents are frantically seeking, just ignoring the situation. Trying to act he doesn’t care.

We see reason enough she might want to leave him. The DV incident, her reaction to his behavior at Restaurant, on again, off again engagement. She’s pretty and she’s personable. Would have no problem making an escape with some other van people. She was not comfortable driving the van anyways.

Really if he had come home with that story upfront, it might even be believable. Until the prolonged silence and the finding of the body. It usually is the simple truth that the SO does it so absolutely he is the main suspect.

Exactly. If they did the right thing, the protesters, at least, would subside. In the end, all of these people invading their neighborhood are there because of their son and their inaction...... I do feel for the neighbors though. I'm going to guess that we are going to see LE on scene more to at least try and rein in some of the chaos to at least keep it centralized at their house. Bottom line - if GP was still alive, none of this would be happening.........
IMO If their son was in custody instead of on the run, it may not be happening either.

A question along these lines of the van and detecting anything - so do we think that he never went back into the van after everything happened? I wonder if they did find any trace evidence there? I'm sure we will find out in time but it helps align the actions he took after.
I think that he probably DID go back to the van briefly after he killed her...to get what he needed for his "hike" along the Snake river to Colter Bay. I think Miranda Baker said he had a hat on, an empty looking back pack, hiking boots, and said he had a tarp (I don't think she actually saw a tarp). He may have stashed the items he wore when he killed her and stuck them in the back pack, to dispose of along the way. Just speculating. JMO

So "person of interest" and "suspect", does this mean the same thing?

This family is a complete mystery to me, especially the parent's. Now that they are literally under the microscope of the FBI and seem to have self imposed themselves inside their home, I believe they are watching a lot of tv.

They also have that screened in pool, so they could very well not be indoors at home at all, I'm assuming they are. jmo

I think they know they are not liked very much right now, and that their son is most likely hated (ala Casey Anthony was). imo

I wonder if the parents had jobs and how they are affording to take this much time off? Maybe they are retired? I have a 21 year old and I am nowhere near retirement age.

This Google Earth measurement puts Gabby's body approx 287 yards from where her van was parked.
I've wondered if both BL & Gabby were in the van when those witnesses drove by, catching the door closing on the Go-Pro. We know BL liked to hike barefoot as in Utah, so it's plausible those were his flip flops outside the van on 9/27... However, I personally think they were hers because he didn't give a schit about sand etc. in the van.
(If) she was killed in the van then dragged across the creek, I'm thinking he would wait till dark as to not be seen, hence. reason for door closing. (She could very well have been dead inside when the Go-Pro witnesses drove by.) I'm sure LE checked for drag marks as well as taking many, many samples of ground material to check for her DNA in a wide area from the van to where she was located.
That is one scenario. Personally, I think she was killed close to / at the location she was located across the creek. Perhaps he lured her out there, idk, but the fight at the restaurant imo, was a huge factor in setting him off into a fit of deadly rage. I firmly believe her actual DOD was 9/27/2021.
JMO

I keep thinking that is a weird place to camp or go hiking. Or even park for very long. Crossing the water without special shoes would be uncomfortable. They both could have been taking a hike to cool off, but the fighting started up again. I don't think her body was moved. Tomorrow hopefully we will get more information.

It is getting colder and will begin getting treacherous soon along the AT as it starts snowing in the upper elevations but I truly believe he is skilled enough to survive. Especially if he can build a fire. I hope he decides to come into a more public area at some point and someone recognizes him.

I saw that they are using helicopters to search along the AT and I don’t quite understand how that would be helpful. There are probably hundreds of people hiking the AT at any given time so how would they be able to notice BL. If anything I feel searching the trail will bring more awareness to the case and people along the trail will be more observant if they see him or something suspicious. It could also push him off the trail unfortunately. I guess it would make sense to look for a lone hiker because *most* people do not hike the trail alone.

I myself don't think he would be on the AT. It's really the most well known trail in the country. There are tons of other long distance hiking trails all over the country.

Long-distance trails in the United States - Wikipedia

I would think if he were going to go off trail, it would be somewhere in the south so as the night time temps weren't that low. He could have used the Florida trail which goes through the state. MOO.

I feel like this reporting from WFLA has been good. thanks to whoever keeps telling us when it's live. also i feel JB's career is going to skyrocket. excellent reporting.

He always goes live on FB and YouTube at noon EST. Took me a day or two to realize that! And agreed, JB is amazing at what he does - that whole WFLA team is great.

Cause of death was homicide. Does anyone know if manner of death has been released or if it will be?
They may not release it till much later. Maybe not until there is a trial, IF there is anyone to put on trial.
I'm thinking strangulation and maybe a rock to her head after she was down... I think he really blew, thus the brutality. (Please excuse these awful words.) :(

IMO If their son was in custody instead of on the run, it may not be happening either.
Heck, if the son or parents would have even been one bit helpful when Gabby was missing…This family has sealed their own fate by their disgusting evasive actions.
WHO lets the body of a young woman lay on secrecy without even attempting to help locate her??? And what kind of parents condone this?!?
Sorry for the neighbors who are having to take one for the team, but if my neighbors were this family and pulled their disgusting actions, I’d be right out there with the protesters!

I think that he probably DID go back to the van briefly after he killed her...to get what he needed for his "hike" along the Snake river to Colter Bay. I think Miranda Baker said he had a hat on, an empty looking back pack, hiking boots, and said he had a tarp (I don't think she actually saw a tarp). He may have stashed the items he wore when he killed her and stuck them in the back pack, to dispose of along the way. Just speculating. JMO
That's what I was thinking too. He at least had to go back in to get some kind of supplies so I would imagine, there is trace evidence in there even if he tried to clean it up. That leads into a whole other stream of questions regarding his timeline after and will show how calculated he was. Did he get the van washed? Scrub the inside, etc.? What lengths he went to cover up beyond the alibi 'hiking'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hereforthechildren