Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes me uneasy as I feel like it goes against what @NCWatcher said about how confidentiality is important to patient-provider trust and openness and therapeutic effect. Question: can lawyers be subpoenaed or called to testify (not in a case they are trying but against their own prior clients)? I feel like the rule of confidentiality — in regards to being allowed to subpoena private information shared in a private, confidential meeting with a paying client — should be the same for medical or mental health professionals as legal professionals.

Like, I get it. I get why it’s important. But it just seems to me like a sticky spot IMO

Of course, there is likely tons of legal precedent and experts who’ve argued this and decided on the rules as they are and I trust their judgement over mine!

The only thing a therapist or other medical provider has is a right against personal self-incrimination - 5th Amendment. Courts have a right to everything else. Some records can be sealed, for example in the case of a minor, however. There are few exceptions.
Didn't they do that with Jodi Arias?

I didn’t follow that case.

Looks like they took something out of the camper, they believe is was some form of a cooler. We have no idea what was in the brown paper bags, and the parents are still inside, their Lawyer has not arrived yet. More updates of the footaged captured will be on NewsNation tonight.

It's baffling to me that this was the first time they even looked at the camper...I guess that is telling that they didn't have information about them all going camping right before he disappeared. JMO

Josh Benson on WFLA just stated in the live broadcast that it was the first time since the FBI showed up that day and confiscated things.

Can therapists or psychologists be subpoenaed or have to take the stand? Or does the full scope of confidentiality prevent that? (Referring to a *past* admission, not a duty to warn about future dangerous crimes). Would love both yours and @HoneySugar input!

Good question but pretty complicated.

Generally a psychologist has an ethical obligation to attempt to legally resist a subpoena unless the client has requested the psychologist testify on his/her behalf. And even then, it's important the client understand it's an "all or nothing" situation. For example, a client might want a psychologist to testify at a custody hearing about sessions that have focused on parenting skill development. But if asked, the testifying psychologist would have to answer questions about the client's substance abuse struggles. So IF BL did have a psychologist, and he did ask him/her to testify, it would be all or nothing in the same way.

Note I said "legally resist" above. The first step for a psychologist receiving a subpoena is to talk to an attorney. State laws vary and laws change. So sound current advice is needed. (Most trials will be state level.)

Rarely (IME) would a prosecutor attempt to get a psychologist to testify a client confessed to a crime. That's just not the way things go and probably wouldn't be allowed because it's hearsay. But if court-ordered to provide records or to testify, then most psychologists would comply. Some wouldn't and would face a contempt charge.

The following link is for training but has more info for those who are interested. I'm afraid to say more for fear of being off topic!

Protecting patient privacy when the court calls

JMO

here is my guess on what might be the reason for the FBI to visit, they dont usually bring evidense back anywhere till the investigation is complete. i think maybe they found something at the reserve and they wanted the Laundries to identify it and if it was a phone maybe they wanted to know if they though it was the one that they bought BL and so maybe the paperwork to the phone was in the camper so they went to get it, could have been anything at this point.

Brian Entin said during his live stream just now that the camper was searched previously when the BIG search happened.

This is NOT the first time FBI looked in the camper.

The pressure is on and FBI is turning up the heat.

IIRC during the 48 Hours interview, her mom couldnt discuss the last conversation with her daughter - I was confused about this because I originally remember hearing that the last text she received was the one about Yosemite - So I thought that maybe since that originally came out, and the timing of the interview she was told not to discuss it (although seeing it was already out seems odd in MOO). Now I am thinking maybe she did facetime with her or something on the 30th to say that she was going to be coming home (since her mom said she knew she would be on her way back...) maybe?

August 30th 7:30 am to September 1st 10:30 am (51 hours) is doable if you make minimal stops. It takes roughly 34 hours to drive from Grand Teton back to FL.

Especially if you are trying to get there fast.

MOO
I don't think we disagreed here. We both said it's doable under these very strict conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper