Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question but pretty complicated.

Generally a psychologist has an ethical obligation to attempt to legally resist a subpoena unless the client has requested the psychologist testify on his/her behalf. And even then, it's important the client understand it's an "all or nothing" situation. For example, a client might want a psychologist to testify at a custody hearing about sessions that have focused on parenting skill development. But if asked, the testifying psychologist would have to answer questions about the client's substance abuse struggles. So IF BL did have a psychologist, and he did ask him/her to testify, it would be all or nothing in the same way.

Note I said "legally resist" above. The first step for a psychologist receiving a subpoena is to talk to an attorney. State laws vary and laws change. So sound current advice is needed. (Most trials will be state level.)

Rarely (IME) would a prosecutor attempt to get a psychologist to testify a client confessed to a crime. That's just not the way things go and probably wouldn't be allowed because it's hearsay. But if court-ordered to provide records or to testify, then most psychologists would comply. Some wouldn't and would face a contempt charge.

The following link is for training but has more info for those who are interested. I'm afraid to say more for fear of being off topic!

Protecting patient privacy when the court calls

JMO
Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer that so clearly. I really appreciate it and have a much better handle on it now!

I think cause of death is a public record in Wyoming, but ends at that. I wonder if they’ll ever release it, in the case Brian isn’t found. With no trial, the family may not want to divulge the autopsy details, out of respect for Gabby/their privacy. If he’s found, it’ll all come out at trial (assuming they charge him with murder).

I think because of the public record law in WY, that we will receive cause of death. But it might be simple like “blunt force trauma” or something without many details.

I don’t know what to expect, I’m not the expert so this is JMO

Yes, you're right, it might just be quite vague.

It's awful to think that this will possibly turn into a cold case. I hope beyond hope that it doesn't, for Gabby's family.

MOO

Good question but pretty complicated.

Generally a psychologist has an ethical obligation to attempt to legally resist a subpoena unless the client has requested the psychologist testify on his/her behalf. And even then, it's important the client understand it's an "all or nothing" situation. For example, a client might want a psychologist to testify at a custody hearing about sessions that have focused on parenting skill development. But if asked, the testifying psychologist would have to answer questions about the client's substance abuse struggles. So IF BL did have a psychologist, and he did ask him/her to testify, it would be all or nothing in the same way.

Note I said "legally resist" above. The first step for a psychologist receiving a subpoena is to talk to an attorney. State laws vary and laws change. So sound current advice is needed. (Most trials will be state level.)

Rarely (IME) would a prosecutor attempt to get a psychologist to testify a client confessed to a crime. That's just not the way things go and probably wouldn't be allowed because it's hearsay. But if court-ordered to provide records or to testify, then most psychologists would comply. Some wouldn't and would face a contempt charge.

The following link is for training but has more info for those who are interested. I'm afraid to say more for fear of being off topic!

Protecting patient privacy when the court calls

JMO

The long and short of it is if Courts, Prosecutors, Defense Lawyers, (or other lawyers in Civil cases) want access to this information they will get it.

Cool, thank you -- I have it open in a tab and refreshed it this morning and this wasn't there. @Alethea do you or anyone else here have Pacer access?

Yes - this is a Notice of Appearance for Stephanie Sprecher, an Assistant US Attorney (AUSA) for Wyoming, representing the United States.

Attachments

• LAUNDRIE NOA USA.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 58
It's not just for tracking, removable sim cards allow you to easily sell your old phone, not to mention sim cards fail, this way you just get a new card. As well makes for easy transfer to a new phone.

I realize this, but in the context of this thread, I'm not discussing selling of phones.

No change of SIM will alter the IMEI of the device. Anyway, I was adding to the discussion about phone tracking...

From Laundrie lawyer:

The FBI is at the Laundrie home today to collect some personal items belonging to Brian that will assist the canines in their search for Brian. There is nothing more to this.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1443633274761453569?s=21

*If* true..... I'm not being funny but why don't the FBI request the parents bring items to them if it is only to help tracking? I'm sceptical of this lawyer explanation though.

Brian Entin said during his live stream just now that the camper was searched previously when the BIG search happened.

This is NOT the first time FBI looked in the camper.

The pressure is on and FBI is turning up the heat.

Yep pretty sure they were in the camper before, seem to remember a contemporaneous picture on an agent looking inside? Hard to remember there has such a flurry of activity and getting accounts from 100 different sources, even if you follow 24/7 it's loads of info now.

From Laundrie lawyer:

The FBI is at the Laundrie home today to collect some personal items belonging to Brian that will assist the canines in their search for Brian. There is nothing more to this.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1443633274761453569?s=21

I actually don’t believe that statement at all.

They took in 2 sealed test kits.

What went in, appeared to come back out.

Nope….not buying anything Mr. Bertolino is trying to sell!

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members