Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Depending on Florida law, they might have to show proof of personal property taxes being paid to get plates for the van. If they put his name on the title and he has any sort of outstanding personal property bill, he would have to pay those pers prop taxes before either of them could get plates for the vehicle. Just a thought, IMO.
Van is in Gabbys name only. Apparently she traded her car in as part of payment

If they know he is deceased they should share that publicly. And they should mourn.
Most definitely. I think it’s possible he left a note or voicemail explaining his intentions and they might just be waiting to find the body. So perhaps it’s more of a “we suspect he’s committed suicide” situation and that would also explain why FBI are so focussed on the preserve, Obviously just a theory. It’s just strange to me, most of the time they will always release a last known wearing on missing posters.

They officially reported him as missing. Everyone who does that gives a description.

Evidently not (though usually I would agree with that statement, if the FBI had put out a missing persons BOLO to the media).

I notice that Carlton Reserve is still closed. Perhaps there is no need for a description because they 'know' BL is in there, and they are not letting anyone in there to assist with their search.

Staff has notified us that effective Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021, the Carlton Reserve is closed until further notice. Recreational opportunities are available at nearby preserves.

I don’t read the “they bought the van” as in they both contributed it, I read that as it was something they did on their own. Their own idea, one or both of their money paid for it. I don’t think it necessarily means both contributed financially. I think it was titled in her name because she paid for it with her own money. Like you said, she traded in a car. Van life seemed to be her idea, and doesn’t seem like he liked it at all. I’m sure she paid for it.

Van is in Gabbys name only. Apparently she traded her car in as part of payment

Yes, I was just saying why that might be. If he owed back personal property taxes ( if Florida has those) and couldn't afford to pay them, they would just title it in her name. Or it could be as simple as they aren't married so she wanted it in her name only in case they broke up.

Do we have any experts on here that could chime in? From the traffic stop, was there any path to a healthy situation for Gabby? Could anyone have done anything?

Im not an expert but I’m fairly sure the only way this outcome would have been different is if her told her parents how bad things were and they came and either brought her home, sent him home, or traveled along with them for the remainder of the trip. Even if one had been arrested I’m sure they would have been on their way again soon and the outcome would have been the same.

Most definitely. I think it’s possible he left a note or voicemail explaining his intentions and they might just be waiting to find the body. So perhaps it’s more of a “we suspect he’s committed suicide” situation and that would also explain why FBI are so focussed on the preserve, Obviously just a theory. It’s just strange to me, most of the time they will always release a last known wearing on missing posters.
Maybe, but for me. If I knew that's what my child did, I would want to help find his body asap instead of letting him rot on the ground somewhere. Imo

Do we have any experts on here that could chime in? From the traffic stop, was there any path to a healthy situation for Gabby? Could anyone have done anything?
We will never know, obviously. But IMO she was so beaten down and broken that day that she might have disclosed had they gotten her to a location where BL wasn’t in sight and had someone experienced in DV, like a social worker or a therapist, talk to her. From there they could have potentially had enough to arrest BL and help Gabby make an escape plan, such as her parents coming to get her or sending her a plane ticket home to them.

But it often takes multiple tries for a DV victim to actually leave their abuser so that may not have worked either. I think what I wish is that she had at least felt validated that day instead of the cops seemingly buddying up to Brian and discussing how crazy their women are.

Maybe they are waiting to hire an attorney because they aren't even sure it will be necessary.

Yes, attorneys are $$$. Maybe they thought it easiest to just reach out to their friend, a Real Estate lawyer, first.

MOO: If they're smart then they already have a good/better one on retainer for him.

What's the going rate these days for retaining an attorney?

I know there is a national domestic violence hotline, but is there a number similar to 911 that women experiencing violence could discretely text? After that ugly incident at the Merry Piglets, Gabby needed assistance urgently. I have no idea where one would turn (discretely) in that moment. Is there a universal (easy!) number that could relatively immediately have connected her to local assistance? I have no idea how this could have been done safely for Gabby and for anyone who might have tried to rescue her, but is there even a mechanism for women to access something like this?

I'm not a lawyer, but I agree silence in itself is not going to pile up charges. I meant if they are withholding material information relevant to the investigation I assume that could be construed as obstruction. None of us know what their situation is on that front, LE isn't commenting on it and they aren't commenting on it. So I'll just leave it at if I were them, I'd hire a different guy.

I understand your point and don't mean to nitpick but... knowing material information and not saying anything to LE is not a crime. We all have the right to remain silent. Telling LE you don't know anything about material information when you do is a crime.

Martha Stewart did not go to jail for trading on inside information - she went to jail for lying to LE about it. Her mistake was talking to LE.

Also I wonder who bought the van? Didn't they both work at Publix and maybe she worked at Taco Bell and as a Pharmacy Tech? I'm guessing her parents did? How much do those type of vehicles cost?
Depending on condition and miles, somewhere around 6k to 13k. Since it was in FL, not sure who bought it and whether it was purchased with cash or a car loan. MOO.

I watched the Dr Phil interview today with GPs father and 2 things stuck out for me:
He was ADAMANT that van belonged to Gabby and he’s a super protective dad, if I was BL I’d be more scared about facing her father than facing LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay