Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about something. When a person does an interview with the news, do they sign a release form? Can they revoke it? Just wondering if that could be what occurred with Cassie's interview. I have no idea how that works.

Okay; I did my homework better this time, I hope. I read the transcript of the entire interview linked in incognitus' post and two statements seem suspicious to me.

1) Cassie Laundrie: I've cooperated in every way that I can. I wish I had information or I would give more. I, I, I...this is all I have is - I gave to the police.
Question: Have you talked to Gabby's family?
Cassie Laundrie: No one's reached out to me and I don't know if it's appropriate for me to reach out to them when everything with everything going on.
Question: What would you say to her family just so they know that you're..."
(Remember this was aired at 0730 on 17th of September ~ Long after the Petito family says they tried to contact her.)
2) Question: And when you just heard the news just in general, like that she's missing and that your brother's back here?
Cassie Laundrie: I don't understand. As much as everybody else I'm learning everything from the news, too.
Remember, CL is claiming this even though she'd already met with her brother twice since his return. It seems very unlikely to me that this tragedy would be off limits for discussion! My family must be weird then ~ because this would never fly!!! I find it more plausible that the campground meet up may have been specifically to discuss everything and make a plan. Especially since it's been mentioned that they may have been worried about their phones and home being bugged.
My 2 cents of moo.

It's super HINKY.

1) No one reached out to her. from Gabby's family we know that it is not true. But the cell phone reports will prove this in time.

I won't go out on the limb and call her a liar but this will be proven soon enough. The truth will come out eventually.

SB stated via text that he does not represent her. SB and CL stated that SB advised the Ls (minus CL as she's not a client) to zip it. CL is not part of it because she doesn't know anything. Even JP has said they're not telling her anything.
He seems to say an awful lot via text. This is very odd behavior for any defense counsel. MOO

Lots of speculation about where BL has run off to and/or is hiding. Chartered a boat to Cuba. Hopped on a cruise ship. Flew to a country where he won't be extradited. Etc.

But let's think for a moment how difficult something like that would be to arrange/finance at the drop of a hat. Imagine for a moment that something catastrophic happens and YOU personally have to abscond and disappear. Not just for a little while, but forever.

The first thing you're going to need is cash. A lot of it. You can't use debit/credit cards while you're on the lam, either your own or family members and other people close to you. So the first thing you need to do is get your hands on a lot of cash.

Transportation. You can't just take off in your own car or the car of a family member or friend. How are you going to travel from point A to point B? Rent a car? Charter a boat? Take a plane? For that, you need - ID.

You're going to need some form of false papers - ID, passport, birth certificate. Something. You can't rent a car, jump a plane, charter a boat without ID. And again, you're going to need cash to finance all that - unless you acquire a bank account or credit cards under your new identity.

You're also going to need contacts. It's easy to say, "Charter a boat to Cuba." But how does one do that without being detected? How would YOU personally accomplish that? You're a regular person. With a regular family. You don't have underworld or criminal contacts to even begin to help you get all that cash/ID and connection with a Cuban boat cabin that will take you to Cuba, no questions asked.

Even with 10 days prep time, where do you even start with doing all that and remaining completely undetected? Is is possible? Sure, I guess. But really think about how you, an average Joe, would accomplish this hurculean task? Even with your family helping you? All of their activities would have to be undetected, too.

It's not easy for the average person to just "disappear" forever into the sunset. And especially not for a 23 year old kid who has never been away from his mother and who has no resources/contacts whatsoever.

And even if BL did run off into that swamp, then what? He still has to overcome all the problems I've listed above. Not to mention LE and FBI BOLO's out for you everywhere. You can't be in the open moving around - renting a car, taking a bus, sleeping at a homeless shelter, hitchhikking without someone noticing you and calling it in. How long can you wander around in a swamp without adequate food, fresh water, shelter? He has to come out sooner or later, if he hasn't already.

Sorry for the wall of text, but this kid really has no options, and I highly doubt he is drinking margaritas at a villa in The Bahamas.

MOO

It's unfortunately possible to do, at least from where I'm from. Scary thought too, but doable.

I agree 100% with this. Earlier I had expressed if her parents even knew about what happened with the police video on 8/12.. I would at the very least imagine, before and even after, Gabby couldn’t bring herself to tell her parents that her dream of van life and setting off on this adventure wasn’t panning out how she thought it would. She was obviously so upset in the police videos, crying, while he was hamming it up and smiling..

What reason do you think Gabby gave her parents for sobbing, while she was talking to them from the back of the police cruiser?

About 42 minutes into the police stop in Utah, video shows Laundrie reach into the passenger side of the van. He hands a female law enforcement official Petito’s cellphone.

“She’s got her cellphone. She’s calling her parents,” the officer told other officials minutes later.

Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie investigation: 2 phones seen in police body cam video from Utah incident

The OP was not saying to sleuth his friends. She/he was wondering why he did not have any friends speak up for him.

But if they have spoken up, we couldn't post about it - so the question seems either moot or superfluous to me.

I could post a bunch of things I'm "wondering about," but I surely will not do so, if it leads to territories beyond certain boundaries.

What is our response supposed to be, on this discussion board? If we knew...

My point is that asking questions whose answers would be violation of ethics or ToS is rather pointless. IMO.

BBM

What if GP was a strong, scrappy girl that took no crud from anyone"?

And what "if" Gabby was a "strong, scrappy girl"?

Good for her if she was! Just because a woman is "strong" and "scrappy" doesn't mean that she isn't being victimized by intimate partner violence.

Let us inform ourselves right now. Even strong females can be victims of intimate partner violence.
Bumping because this is worthy of being seen more than once.

Wondering if the family had special places they would camp. When I growing up we would park our trailer in a camp ground it would stay year round. All we had to do was drive with our food and things for time that we would spend there. It shows that the mother and father as well as the son and daughter are avid campers... Just wondering if they each had a special place ...

I won't pass judgement on the rest of his family, however his parents ignored calls and texts about their son's finace (their future daughter-in-law) who had lived with them for two years from her parents who were desperate to find her.
On the surface yes but honestly we have no idea what was said or done between them. We have no idea what he told them, we have no clue about anything. So I don't think it's fair to judge them yet either. When this whole thing is said and done I think there's going to be a good chance that we'll all be shocked about a whole bunch of things that we all just assumed. I'm going to give them benefits of the doubt for now.

How come Brian has made it to 24 without a single male friend?... not one mate has stepped up and said, hey hey, Brian is cool, me and him have been pals for years, ... most men of his age have a couple of male friends, unless...........

unless other males steer well clear of Brian after a short exposure. ....

Last week's People's magazine had a story about this case that included quotes from at least one male friend from high school saying something to the effect that they never saw any signs that BL would do something like this (I'm not sure if the online article is the same as the one in the physical magazine I read).

That being said, I don't blame anyone for not coming out to publicly support BL only to get ripped to shreds online.

Well, to each her own. For me, what's said on a TV show isn't all that important anyway. But if it was, saying someone was "like a sister" conveyed sufficient feelings on its own. I don't need to see all kinds of gushing adjectives to believe CL cared. Sometimes those who dramatize the most, care the least after all.
JMO

IMO saying someone is “like a sister” implies caring unconditionally for that person, which Cassie hasn’t done. My brother also views my boyfriend “like a brother” and would never value my freedom over my boyfriends life and if he happened to go missing would do anything to help get answers.

Do I believe Cassie was privy to the same information Roberta and Chris might’ve been regarding Brian after he returned home without Gabby? No, I don’t. But at the same time, if she did in fact visit Brian at Fort de Soto and did not tell LE (which, to be clear, we don’t know whether she told LE or not, only what she told the media), that to me demonstrates she didn’t truly think of Gabby as a sister. MOO.

Okay; I did my homework better this time, I hope. I read the transcript of the entire interview linked in incognitus' post and two statements seem suspicious to me.

1) Cassie Laundrie: I've cooperated in every way that I can. I wish I had information or I would give more. I, I, I...this is all I have is - I gave to the police.
Question: Have you talked to Gabby's family?
Cassie Laundrie: No one's reached out to me and I don't know if it's appropriate for me to reach out to them when everything with everything going on.
Question: What would you say to her family just so they know that you're..."
(Remember this was aired at 0730 on 17th of September ~ Long after the Petito family says they tried to contact her.)
2) Question: And when you just heard the news just in general, like that she's missing and that your brother's back here?
Cassie Laundrie: I don't understand. As much as everybody else I'm learning everything from the news, too.
Remember, CL is claiming this even though she'd already met with her brother twice since his return. It seems very unlikely to me that this tragedy would be off limits for discussion! My family must be weird then ~ because this would never fly!!! I find it more plausible that the campground meet up may have been specifically to discuss everything and make a plan. Especially since it's been mentioned that they may have been worried about their phones and home being bugged.
My 2 cents of moo.

Either, she is lying. That might be the case.

Or, BL was lying to her, at least until the 6th of September, which is the last known contact between BL and his sister. Up until this time, it is at least conceivable that BL has lied to his whole family, sticking to some kind of benign cover story to explain GP's absence (which was obviously falling apart at some later point in time).

Again, a disclaimer: I am not trying to defend the Laundrie family, just trying to stick to the facts and not jump to conclusions.

I think my point was pretty clear. If you choose to speculate or inject your own emotions into something I can’t make it any clearer. But I’ll try, I never said to be a DV victim is shameful or disrespectful. My comment said “what if”. What if she’s Not in fact a DV victim, then we are making her one which is wrong of us to do to her memory, her family. Our acts our disrespectful.

In some jurisdictions, murdering an intimate partner is always considered DV. Plus, there are two witnesses in Moab who say so. Plus, in the unredacted bodycam, Gabby indicates he put hands on her.

Some of us are into using the legal definitions of domestic violence, with some research into various jurisdictions. Please do not include me in your group (the "we" and the "our" is just you and some people - not all of us.

Truthfully, many of us pay attention to the facts and the legal definitions. You are implying that it's victim blaming to mention that someone was...struck by their intimate partner or "face smooshed" or "slapped" (per witnesses).

Let's be respectful of varying points of view and not say that it's dishonorable or victim blaming when someone has experienced what Gabby experienced in Moab. This is a crime with an arc - a really strong story, compared to so many missing women's stories. We have more to look at.

We will look at it, and today brought new information. So we look at it.

Last edited:
If you know the rules here you could figure out why some of us can't discuss why we might see a reason why he might not have any males friends like other males his age does.

Guys often don’t have a lot of friends, unless they are into some group activities… sports, university programs, etc. Girls on the other hand always seem to be doing things in groups.

But if they have spoken up, we couldn't post about it - so the question seems either moot or superfluous to me.

I could post a bunch of things I'm "wondering about," but I surely will not do so, if it leads to territories beyond certain boundaries.

What is our response supposed to be, on this discussion board? If we knew...

My point is that asking questions whose answers would be violation of ethics or ToS is rather pointless. IMO.
I've never watched a case this big, but a thing I wonder is, would anyone really want to stick their neck out for a wanted guy/POI? I have no idea if in other high profile cases friends came out & said stuff like Chris Watts was a great guy, or whoever (for clarity: not comparing BL as a person or these events to CW; I'm comparing the level of publicity, only). BL very well could have have had no friends, but it also seems like a huge amount of heat & blowback & attention if someone was to try & speak up for him right now (especially because his parents aren't! ALL the attention would be on that friend, if such friend exists...)

There is a lot of speculation and not documented facts (that I am aware of other than what I've seen on MSM) and this is where I think we need to be mindful that there is no evidence that is public that Gabby has been a DV victim for a long period of time...we are making assumptions...it could or could not be true, we are making assumptions about mental health situations (when I say "we" I refer to the public in general because that's what the media is feeding us). In reality, all we know is that Gabby died by the hands of another, and her fiance is charged with crimes that are related to fraud...not murder. Circumstantial evidence makes him the obvious suspect. Finding him is what's important. All we know for sure is that Gabby is a homicide victim.
My opinion...take it with a grain of salt
DV is not confined to physical abuse.
Emotional and mental abuse and coercive control are also considered DV.
There is , in fact witness evidence of that rom her frien , Rose, links posted already.

In some jurisdictions, murdering an intimate partner is always considered DV. Plus, there are two witnesses in Moab who say so. Plus, in the unredacted bodycam, Gabby indicates he put hands on her.

Some of us are into using the legal definitions of domestic violence, with some research into various jurisdictions. Please do not include me in your group (the "we" and the "our" is just you and some people - not all of us.

Truthfully, many of us pay attention to the facts and the legal definitions. You are implying that it's victim blaming to mention that someone was...struck by their intimate partner or "face smooshed" or "slapped" (per witnesses).

But you can agree to disagree (or not). Let's be respectful of varying points of view and not say that it's dishonorable or victim blaming when someone has experienced what Gabby experienced in Moab.
Yes! This 100 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member