Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Brian Laundrie be that careless, though, as to say, "I had a fight with my girlfriend," in his explanation to the guy on the AT? It would be so easy to make a connection that way, no? Almost everyone knows about Brian Laundrie, it would seem.
Another question I've been wondering about: Does the reward for finding him still apply if he is found deceased? Thanks!

RSBM. Has, as in he's in custody? And it hasn't been announced? MOO, not likely. Can't think of a scenario where they wouldn't announce he's in custody, or found deceased, etc. They wouldn't do that to GP's family, or the Laundries, IMO.
BBM
Custody, undercover agent on his tail or his remains. MOO JMOO
A small part of me thinks that the FBI doesn't have to tell us everything as it could compromise the ongoing investigation.

MOO JMOO

Thank you! I was trying to find them again last night/today, but there's so many links and not all of them show the crime scene. I will check out the additional pictures now! I am with you on the theory of him moving/dragging her elsewhere. Thank you also for the cross clarification.
Welcome. Compliments of Jackson-Hole news. I find the true local news sometimes has the most information. MOO (That's why I asked @nocommoncents last night if TN local news was reporting anything after this NC/TN border sighting). I believe in them. Many times other MSM outlets pick up the same stuff across the board from the Associated Press wires. MOO.

Would Brian Laundrie be that careless, though, as to say, "I had a fight with my girlfriend," in his explanation to the guy on the AT? It would be so easy to make a connection that way, no? Almost everyone knows about Brian Laundrie, it would seem.
Another question I've been wondering about: Does the reward for finding him still apply if he is found deceased? Thanks!
If his state of mind is unbalanced, yes. Further, he may be unaware of the unprecedented exposure this case has received. For all we know, he is hovering on the edge...or not. Hard to say.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Appalachian Trail hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie in Tennessee

I have transcribed his words.

"Yeah, I'm Dennis Davis and I was coming up from Florida on Friday to go hiking the AT. I got up here to the NC - TN area at about 12:30, so early Saturday morning. I was parking my car at a parking lot where we were going to be leaving a car and I had passed the parking lot so I was doing a U-turn to go back to it and as I was doing that U-turn a vehicle approached from behind me.

The vehicle let me go ahead and finish my U-turn and as I was driving up to that vehicle, the gentleman in the vehicle stuck his hand out and kind of waved me down. I pulled up alongside of the vehicle, it was uh, it looked like a Ford F-150 truck, it was white. Um, I was in a car, so I was lower than the vehicle, I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. Um, I could tell right away that there was, he, something wasn't right with him. He uh, it took him a second to get anything out and he said "man I'm lost." And I thought, you know I was kind of lost myself, I thought maybe he was another hiker, looking for the same parking lot.

And I said "well I'm not from around here, but what are you trying to find?" And he said "Man I need to go to California." And I was like, "Wow, well, I don't know the directions to California, but..." he said "Yea, me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man I love her, but she called me and I need to go out to California to go see her."

And I said, "Well, man, I-40 is right there," we were right next to I-40, and I said "you can take I-40 West and it will get you to California." And he said "No, I think, this road that we're on I'm just going to take it to California."

And that was uh Waterville Rd.

When I got off the phone with the FBI I looked at some more pictures and I saw a profile view of Brian. And you know that's kind of how I was looking at him; cause he was in his truck so most of the time I was seeing the side of his face. And when I saw from the side that profile view, I was like, I am absolutely 100% sure that was the guy, my heart was thumpin' and I immediately called the FBI back, and said "Listen I just called you guys, but I'm telling you this was the guy. And so the lady, first time I spoke with a man, second time was a lady - she again took my information.

Um, I was sitting there in this parking lot thinking what do I do now. No one's calling me so I called 911. At that time I was in TN, so I got the Tennessee 911 and I called and spoke with the operator, she took my information. Again, Nobody was calling me back, I was sitting there for an hour now. And so I got in my car and actually drove back by the site where I saw, just to see if I could see him again.

At that time I was in NC so I picked up the phone and called 911 in North Carolina."

Video cuts out after this.

I'm Gen X as well (thus my observation that Highly Educated Dude looks like half the guys in my feed :-/). Our generation has done and continues to do many, many drugs. We basically invented cocaine as the fuel to capitalism in the 80s! And did you know that what's left of the Grateful Dead are STILL touring (with John Mayer on lead). I believe they were in Red Rock this weekend.

In any case, my amusement at "I'm not a druggie/I'm highly educated" was just a little light-hearted thing. You have to admit - though it's completely understandable-ish, it's kind of a funny thing to sputter. I'd be amused at myself, too, if I said it. :)

Totally!

There's a categorical trinity that is supposedly required, or needs to be present, for a perpetrator to commit a crime:
  • Means
  • Motive
  • Opportunity
If BL killed GP, I feel that of those three, 'Opportunity', we can tick off first in the list. 'Means' is again easily explained away, he undoubtedly had the ability to commit the crime.

What I'm stuck on is the motive.

What do people feel BL's motive would be for killing his girlfriend/fiancé?

... OR... does motive only come into play if there was actual intent to kill?

Maybe the reason I'm struggling to find a motive is because I'm still not certain that BL set out to actually kill GP.

Again, I'm not saying I don't think he did kill her, simply that it wasn't premeditated and the intended outcome.

I think of these three aspects of a crime, proving motive is the one that will have the most clout when it comes to convincing a jury at trial.

I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this!

MOO

It was early in the morning yesterday, before dawn. He did say the truck was white if I recall. When you are seeing someone in the dark with your headlights and they are seeing you with theirs, out of two driver's side windows, I can understand.

I just watched an Interview with the man. It was 12:30 am on Saturday morning. He said it was a white truck. I posted the link.

I'd be highly motivated to get out of there. Not just for my own peace but for the peace of my neighborhood.

But then I would also be highly motivated to cooperate.

But they run their business from home. I don't know what, if anything, they've been doing in that regard since all this started, but they may not be able to just pack up a laptop and walk away.

And I expect it would be very expensive to 1) Hire reliable around the clock guards for the property and 2) Pay for a good hotel with meals. Unlike some posters, I'm not convinced they are wealthy. And whatever money they do have they may be saving in case new lawyers are needed.

I'd also be reluctant to be driven out of my home but maybe that's just me.
JMO

What if it was BL? What if he doesn’t want to turn himself in but wants to get caught and go out in a Blaze of Glory?

Perhaps he is afraid to go the suicide route but can’t keep doing what he is doing? Perhaps he is having mental problems and still thinks he has a girlfriend.

What's LE authority to tell them to stay home? I can't imagine them being prohibited (how??) going to a high rise hotel with a restaurant and a guest parking garage.
Uh, if the FBI tells you to stay home, you should probably stay home. Just saying. They have a good bit of authority, especially if your missing child is a fugitive on the run and they suspect you of helping him.

The sighting hadn't occurred yet. Many of us have theorized about that region being a possibility for BL, Anderson Cooper is one of them.

In the case of the roadway sighting, the man who called it in appears not to have heard this theorizing - but we don't know that for sure. Surely people all up and down the AT region and its adjacent areas are talking about this case, as so many MSM outlets have mentioned the region as a possibility. BL had gone up that way for ~8 weeks, alone, before. He had made other trips up that way, one with Gabby (for 2 weeks?)

When did he "smash" Gabby's face in? I think this story has grown legs. The word used was "smooshed" and the injury appeared minor - both of them appear to have scratched each other and both admitted putting hands on each other. Gabby says she went first, Brian agrees. He even demonstrates his "smooshing" technique and reminds me of what some people do if their (larger) child is attacking them.
--------------------------

And again, Gabby. was not found in a National Park! The rules for National Parks and National Forests are VERY different. No target practice in National Parks (or hunting), but HUNTING is allowed in NF, and people do shoot guns, whether they ought to or not, and in and out of hunting season. Dispersed areas of National Forests are not regularly monitored for this, at all. There is no entry gate to the Bridger-Teton NF, and use is described as "all purpose," which includes using several kinds of weapons for hunting.

One of the permitted practices in this very National Forest is TARGET SHOOTING:

Bridger-Teton National Forest - Hunting

Now there are rules, but once people see it's an allowed activity - it happens. The place along the creek, which is pretty far from the numbered campsites, would be many people's view of a very safe place to shoot at a downed log, perhaps by putting can targets or similar on top of it. I've done it myself. Growing up, I knew lots of people who did it (local gun laws apply - so it's more regulated in California than in Wyoming).

So those of us who suggest there could have been target practice are not wrong. Please stop being so confident about the rules in National Forests - spend some time exploring the website to the specific National Forest where Gabby was. For. your. convenience, here is the WELCOME that the NF gives to TARGET SHOOTERS:

//Target Shooting
Shooting sports activities have been enjoyed for generations and are welcomed on National Forest System lands. (emphasis mine)

Both state and federal laws apply on the Bridger-Teton National Forest, so you also need to check on the Wyoming laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting. You also need to be in compliance with any general federal laws and regulations about weapons (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), etc).

The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting. (emphasis mine: those rules would allow target practice in this very area where Gabby was found)

There is no special order or provision that prohibits firearms in the three Wilderness areas of the Bridger –Teton (Gros Ventre, Teton, and Bridger). Also, if you chose to shoot clay pigeons, the debris and remnants from shattered shells must be removed. Shooting paint ball guns is not allowed on the Forest.

We encourage you to use designated shooting areas or ranges. However, if you choose to shoot in an undesignated area, please ensure that your shooting does not damage any facilities or natural resources, disrupt other uses, or endanger public safety, and ensure you remove any targets, wads, shells, brass and other refuse with you when you leave. Be sure your shooting target area is free of rocks, as wildfires have resulting from sparks from ricochets. Be responsible for your action and follow outdoor ethics, in other words always, Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly! on federal lands. (emphasis mine)

It is also a good idea regardless, just to contact the local Forest Service District or Forest Offices in advance of your visit to ask the same question, as they are more aware of local ranges and other opportunities, local orders or restrictions, issues and special conditions that may affect you.

Enjoy your visit to our National Forests.

fseprd503493.jpg
fseprd503488.jpg

------------------------------
The. site where Gabby was found satisfies all these requirements.
This is great info......thank you

The sighting hadn't occurred yet. Many of us have theorized about that region being a possibility for BL, Anderson Cooper is one of them.

In the case of the roadway sighting, the man who called it in appears not to have heard this theorizing - but we don't know that for sure. Surely people all up and down the AT region and its adjacent areas are talking about this case, as so many MSM outlets have mentioned the region as a possibility. BL had gone up that way for ~8 weeks, alone, before. He had made other trips up that way, one with Gabby (for 2 weeks?)

When did he "smash" Gabby's face in? I think this story has grown legs. The word used was "smooshed" and the injury appeared minor - both of them appear to have scratched each other and both admitted putting hands on each other. Gabby says she went first, Brian agrees. He even demonstrates his "smooshing" technique and reminds me of what some people do if their (larger) child is attacking them.
--------------------------

And again, Gabby. was not found in a National Park! The rules for National Parks and National Forests are VERY different. No target practice in National Parks (or hunting), but HUNTING is allowed in NF, and people do shoot guns, whether they ought to or not, and in and out of hunting season. Dispersed areas of National Forests are not regularly monitored for this, at all. There is no entry gate to the Bridger-Teton NF, and use is described as "all purpose," which includes using several kinds of weapons for hunting.

One of the permitted practices in this very National Forest is TARGET SHOOTING:

Bridger-Teton National Forest - Hunting

Now there are rules, but once people see it's an allowed activity - it happens. The place along the creek, which is pretty far from the numbered campsites, would be many people's view of a very safe place to shoot at a downed log, perhaps by putting can targets or similar on top of it. I've done it myself. Growing up, I knew lots of people who did it (local gun laws apply - so it's more regulated in California than in Wyoming).

So those of us who suggest there could have been target practice are not wrong. Please stop being so confident about the rules in National Forests - spend some time exploring the website to the specific National Forest where Gabby was. For. your. convenience, here is the WELCOME that the NF gives to TARGET SHOOTERS:

//Target Shooting
Shooting sports activities have been enjoyed for generations and are welcomed on National Forest System lands. (emphasis mine)

Both state and federal laws apply on the Bridger-Teton National Forest, so you also need to check on the Wyoming laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting. You also need to be in compliance with any general federal laws and regulations about weapons (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), etc).

The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting. (emphasis mine: those rules would allow target practice in this very area where Gabby was found)

There is no special order or provision that prohibits firearms in the three Wilderness areas of the Bridger –Teton (Gros Ventre, Teton, and Bridger). Also, if you chose to shoot clay pigeons, the debris and remnants from shattered shells must be removed. Shooting paint ball guns is not allowed on the Forest.

We encourage you to use designated shooting areas or ranges. However, if you choose to shoot in an undesignated area, please ensure that your shooting does not damage any facilities or natural resources, disrupt other uses, or endanger public safety, and ensure you remove any targets, wads, shells, brass and other refuse with you when you leave. Be sure your shooting target area is free of rocks, as wildfires have resulting from sparks from ricochets. Be responsible for your action and follow outdoor ethics, in other words always, Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly! on federal lands. (emphasis mine)

It is also a good idea regardless, just to contact the local Forest Service District or Forest Offices in advance of your visit to ask the same question, as they are more aware of local ranges and other opportunities, local orders or restrictions, issues and special conditions that may affect you.

Enjoy your visit to our National Forests.

fseprd503493.jpg
fseprd503488.jpg

------------------------------
The. site where Gabby was found satisfies all these requirements.
A person who slams someone's face enough to cause injury has "smashed it". She showed how he shoved her face, chin, nose up. Causing an injury, which still hurt 1-2 hours later. She may have used the word "pushed", IDR. I've never heard the word smooshed. I hope there is not a "kind" term for smashing someone's face. IMO

That's not how the FBI operates, I'm afraid. When they capture someone, the FBI makes sure the news media is present to show the subject doing the "perp walk" in handcuffs in front of cameras. This is their standard operating procedure. MOO

My "has him" was vague, my apologies. I meant the, IMO, three possible options: BL in custody, someone on his tail or his remains.

MOO JMO

Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail

Davis and some other hikers were going to leave a car at the Northern Terminus of the Application Trail, and he was going to sleep at the trailhead Friday night. He accidentally passed a parking lot near the trail and was going to make a U-turn on Waterville Road when "a vehicle approached" from behind him and flashed its headlights as if signaling to Davis that he could complete his U-turn.

The driver then told Davis that he was lost and was trying to get to California after getting in a fight with his girlfriend.

The hiker thought about the encounter afterward as he started driving again and began to wonder whether it was Laundrie.

"So I got to the next spot where I was going to park and I pulled open my phone and I started looking through pictures. And the thing when I was talking to him which really stood out to me was: He had a very full but short, very thick, dark, black beard and mustache. And so when I parked my car and I pulled up the picture of him on the internet…and there was that beard and mustache," Davis said.

At that point, the hiker was 95% sure he had seen Laundrie and called the FBI. When he got off the phone with the FBI, he looked at another profile shot of Laundrie and then felt 100% convinced that he spotted the fugitive, at which point he called the FBI a second time, as well as Tennesee and North Carolina police.
If this was not him you would hope the person he encountered would come forward and say no, it was me (like the Baker, FL trail cam sighting) . But, this hasn't happened yet. MOO

Nothing changed, it's just that in abusive relationships, quite often the abuse is kept hidden.
Even family and friends don't know about it.
The abuser is too afraid to speak out.

I'm sure their relationship looked perfect to other people. But inside, things were very different.

Abuse victims are embarrassed and often others will NOT offer support but lectures, criticism, sometimes disbelief and will side with the abuser. It's frightening coming out.

Spoken words from the witness who says he encountered BL:
Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail
Thanks for posting that. It reads somewhat different to other articles I've seen, in that the person asking directions does sound pretty out of it/not thinking too clearly.

That said, the other day someone on Twitter posted (so rude) a video they took of a young, white, slight, baldish guy in standard early-20s casual clothes sitting on a curb crying and clearly distraught. It was not BL, of course. But just as there are many BL clones out there, there are many young men fighting with girlfriends or in some desperate-seeming situation or other.

I'm Gen X as well (thus my observation that Highly Educated Dude looks like half the guys in my feed :-/). Our generation has done and continues to do many, many drugs. We basically invented cocaine as the fuel to capitalism in the 80s! And did you know that what's left of the Grateful Dead are STILL touring (with John Mayer on lead). I believe they were in Red Rock this weekend.

In any case, my amusement at "I'm not a druggie/I'm highly educated" was just a little light-hearted thing. You have to admit - though it's completely understandable-ish, it's kind of a funny thing to sputter. I'd be amused at myself, too, if I said it. :)
Honestly I was really put off by his "I'm highly educated" comment. It's arrogant.

But I also think it was an impassioned plea for LE to listen to him.

It's looking like he may have seen Brian, but if he's wrong, there are plenty of rocks for the guy to hide under while hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l