Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02¢ -
"So I think that our little squabbles started because you’re hanging out at the coffee shop and when he got back to the van, [inaudible 00:12:59] I moved our food around, so she gets a little…"

The Van Life video segment where Gabby was making breakfast while BL was doing yoga it has been pointed out that "his" granola was melted - had been in the sun and he jumped up as soon as she picked it up.

There was an explosive argument at a restaurant shortly before Gabby died.

And Gabby stated her profession as nutritionist. She focused a lot on food IMO.

Finally, at the DV stop Gabby wanted water. They were out of water. She had no problem drinking from two plastic bottles - based on the photo of her clutching the two despite BL specifically waving them off. Gabby wanted to get going from the Moonflower because they were out of water. BL wanted to "calm down and go for a walk" - not something I would want to do if I hadn't had any water since 9 am.

ETA: that six gallon jug they used for water must have been plastic so o_O

CONTROL

MOO, MOO MOO - food and water were flashpoints in this already disfunctional relationship. MOO
I like this theory, but I also think that the times when they were getting food or water were the times when they were together in public, thus there were opportunities to observe them. To me, it raises the question of, "if things were this bad when they were in public, what was happening in private, when they were camping away from other people?"

Appalachian Trail hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie in Tennessee

I have transcribed his words.

"Yeah, I'm Dennis Davis and I was coming up from Florida on Friday to go hiking the AT. I got up here to the NC - TN area at about 12:30, so early Saturday morning. I was parking my car at a parking lot where we were going to be leaving a car and I had passed the parking lot so I was doing a U-turn to go back to it and as I was doing that U-turn a vehicle approached from behind me.

The vehicle let me go ahead and finish my U-turn and as I was driving up to that vehicle, the gentleman in the vehicle stuck his hand out and kind of waved me down. I pulled up alongside of the vehicle, it was uh, it looked like a Ford F-150 truck, it was white. Um, I was in a car, so I was lower than the vehicle, I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. Um, I could tell right away that there was, he, something wasn't right with him. He uh, it took him a second to get anything out and he said "man I'm lost." And I thought, you know I was kind of lost myself, I thought maybe he was another hiker, looking for the same parking lot.

And I said "well I'm not from around here, but what are you trying to find?" And he said "Man I need to go to California." And I was like, "Wow, well, I don't know the directions to California, but..." he said "Yea, me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man I love her, but she called me and I need to go out to California to go see her."

And I said, "Well, man, I-40 is right there," we were right next to I-40, and I said "you can take I-40 West and it will get you to California." And he said "No, I think, this road that we're on I'm just going to take it to California."

And that was uh Waterville Rd.

When I got off the phone with the FBI I looked at some more pictures and I saw a profile view of Brian. And you know that's kind of how I was looking at him; cause he was in his truck so most of the time I was seeing the side of his face. And when I saw from the side that profile view, I was like, I am absolutely 100% sure that was the guy, my heart was thumpin' and I immediately called the FBI back, and said "Listen I just called you guys, but I'm telling you this was the guy. And so the lady, first time I spoke with a man, second time was a lady - she again took my information.

Um, I was sitting there in this parking lot thinking what do I do now. No one's calling me so I called 911. At that time I was in TN, so I got the Tennessee 911 and I called and spoke with the operator, she took my information. Again, Nobody was calling me back, I was sitting there for an hour now. And so I got in my car and actually drove back by the site where I saw, just to see if I could see him again.

At that time I was in NC so I picked up the phone and called 911 in North Carolina."

Video cuts out after this.
Wow. Well he certainly includes a lot of details for someone who would "make something up" (I was lower - in a car). I was in TN, then crossed into NC, etc. MOO
Plus he called the FBI which if they called back and he "lied" is a crime on his part. MOO So, I don't believe this guy is lying. He may not turn out to be correct, but he is certainly presenting himself as someone who truly believes this. MOO. This must be followed up. If they can search a swamp for a million dollars on the parents word, they have to follow this up, and I believe they will. MOO

Yeah that's the question really. What is fundamentally making them stay?

a. it is their house
b. hotel- and guard? add up the cost per day
c. anywhere they go or visit will be w/ the FBI and publicity,
so who among friends/family wants to host them?
no matter what you think about them, this is bad for them

Wow. Well he certainly includes a lot of details for someone who would "make something up" (I was lower - in a car). I was in TN, then crossed into NC, etc. MOO
Plus he called the FBI which if they called back and he "lied" is a crime on his part. MOO So, I don't believe this guy is lying. He may not turn out to be correct, but he is certainly presenting himself as someone who truly believes this. MOO. This must be followed up. If they can search a swamp for a million dollars on the parents word, they have to follow this up, and I believe they will. MOO

I hope so. Prayers for that. I posted it so we could take it more seriously.

National Parks and Forests...

There reportedly was a fire pit in the vicinity of the body. I suggest GP and BL were camping there, despite what the rules and regulations say about it. I just don't think they were that worried about it.

In regards to the orange markings at the crime scene, I asked why many were all at the same heights and I believe it was @Tiff23fr who suggested they might mark where photographs were taken from so angles could be measured. This makes total sense with them being numbered for court exhibits, too (thank you @Jurisprudence ). I think that's the best suggestion for the markings yet.

Last edited:
Well, if he intends to remain on the run indefinitely, he needs somewhere to practice. My guess is that he'd choose places close to nature and as many here have hypothesized, someplace familiar to him - at least to start.

His behavior at that Appalachian encounter is peculiar enough to suggest psychosis of some form (there are several kinds, it's clearly not depressive psychosis, as such people aren't able to drive and have conversations). Reactive psychosis would be the most likely type and others have already posted briefly about that. Or, he could just be a very strange person who is practicing his fugitive behavior act. By now, he realizes that he can't completely avoid human contact and that the AT is way too crowded.

He's been to the American West. He's seen truly deserted, but still marginally livable, country - wide areas with dispersed camping, but with water available within a day's hike. If he has a truck, he'll want to keep it and steal some license plates, I suppose. Maybe he's been practicing that too. Maybe he did steal the truck.

But he'd need to practice presenting himself to strangers, to see what happens. Choosing to do so late at night, wearing a new form of headgear (perhaps changing it each time), seeing if he's immediately recognized. If he only stops for gas, he can easily disguise his finger tattoo (which most people who are reading about this story don't know about anyway).

New lifestyles take time to adapt. I think BL sees himself as capable of a lone, nature-based lifestlye. If his mind is giving him comforting messages that are out of sync with reality, that's part of the adaptation and the human mind can do that. "Gabby called from California..."

So, my question is, when will the FBI put out a wanted poster that contains all the available identifying info? I'm guessing they have good reasons for not doing so already. They can't base it off this alleged sighting as it isn't verified that he's in a white Ford F-150.

I also have come to believe that it's likely BL is armed and dangerous, so they can't encourage the public to interact with him. Or at least, LE believes it's possible and all I can say is that if he somehow has a truck, he probably also somehow has a gun.

This is a great insight as to his potential psyche right now, thank you!

I've been wondering for a little while whether BL would pose a threat to the public, and I'm perplexed as to why LE haven't warned the public not to approach him.

I'm guessing that's because currently he's wanted for a non-violent crime, and for them to state not to approach him because he's armed and dangerous would require LE to divulge justification for this advisory??

Do you feel that he is (armed and) dangerous purely due to him being in a state of abject desperation right now, and thinking he has nothing left to lose, or do you believe the potential was always there for him to pose a danger to the public?

MOO

The sighting hadn't occurred yet. Many of us have theorized about that region being a possibility for BL, Anderson Cooper is one of them. QUOTE]

Well Anderson Cooper wasn't the only reporter or even cable news source that I heard this on and it has nothing to do with this 3rd time with a man reporting it.

There were also reported sightings in Boone, NC and I don't know where that is in relation to the AP, I do know it's in NC. Separate days, separate sightings, and you're trying to tell me it's just a coincidence? Really?

I thought the same thing, MOO. But also, you will note that they appear to have taken evidence from 2 locations. Petito’s death ruled a homicide, experts see Laundrie as abuser. The rock by the water is a different location (a bit down from where she was actually located MOO), which is why I had asked on a previous thread if anyone knew if he crossed the water with her. Only one rock, out of all of those rocks, is marked. They must have something there. Something found either on the rock or in the water near it? Don't know. Speculation and MOO IMO

National Parks and Forests...

There reportedly was a fire pit in the vicinity of the body. I suggest GP and BL were camping there, despite what the rules and regulations say about it. I just don't think they were that worried about it.

In regards to the orange markings at the crime scene, I asked why many were all at the same heights and I believe it was @Tiff23fr who suggested they might mark where photographs were taken from so angles could be measured. This makes total sense with them being numbered, too. I think that's the best suggestion for the markings yet.
Angles interesting. On numbers, they are numbered for evidence (and eventual exhibits at trial should that ever come to pass). MOO

Really? I think he'd stick out like a sore thumb. I think a saving grace may be if he is fluent in Spanish, which we do not know. But, if he is this may give some people pause to second guess themselves (i.e. "Nah, this guy must have been here for awhile.") MOO
There are tons of Americans ex-patting it in Mexico, for many reasons. Whole communities (iirc, Megan Markle's father does or at one point did live in a town like that). Depending on the place, many places have a rep as being places to go and not really to be bothered by anyone/people mind their own business.

There's a categorical trinity that is supposedly required, or needs to be present, for a perpetrator to commit a crime:
  • Means
  • Motive
  • Opportunity
If BL killed GP, I feel that of those three, 'Opportunity', we can tick off first in the list. 'Means' is again easily explained away, he undoubtedly had the ability to commit the crime.

What I'm stuck on is the motive.

What do people feel BL's motive would be for killing his girlfriend/fiancé?

... OR... does motive only come into play if there was actual intent to kill?

Maybe the reason I'm struggling to find a motive is because I'm still not certain that BL set out to actually kill GP.

Again, I'm not saying I don't think he did kill her, simply that it wasn't premeditated and the intended outcome.

I think of these three aspects of a crime, proving motive is the one that will have the most clout when it comes to convincing a jury at trial.

I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this!

MOO
IMO, the motive could be as simple as him wanting her to stop talking, or to "calm down."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member