Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a categorical trinity that is supposedly required, or needs to be present, for a perpetrator to commit a crime:
  • Means
  • Motive
  • Opportunity
If BL killed GP, I feel that of those three, 'Opportunity', we can tick off first in the list. 'Means' is again easily explained away, he undoubtedly had the ability to commit the crime.

What I'm stuck on is the motive.

What do people feel BL's motive would be for killing his girlfriend/fiancé?

... OR... does motive only come into play if there was actual intent to kill?

Maybe the reason I'm struggling to find a motive is because I'm still not certain that BL set out to actually kill GP.

Again, I'm not saying I don't think he did kill her, simply that it wasn't premeditated and the intended outcome.

I think of these three aspects of a crime, proving motive is the one that will have the most clout when it comes to convincing a jury at trial.

I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this!

MOO

Motive: Flew into an uncontrollable rage.
Couldn't control himself.
Not an excuse by any means.

Thanks for posting that. It reads somewhat different to other articles I've seen, in that the person asking directions does sound pretty out of it/not thinking too clearly.

That said, the other day someone on Twitter posted (so rude) a video they took of a young, white, slight, baldish guy in standard early-20s casual clothes sitting on a curb crying and clearly distraught. It was not BL, of course. But just as there are many BL clones out there, there are many young men fighting with girlfriends or in some desperate-seeming situation or other.

I transcribed his spoken words to the interviewer.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
If you're talking about the reserve this is the only thing I can think of too. They're not dumb. They're not buying the parents story but what they were doing is being thorough and searching it in case there was any nugget of truth that something else might be uncovered (first thing I think of is his phone). The parents also went there Wednesday to retrieve the Mustang, though reports have them stating they did not do this until Thursday. They needed to ensure they didn't miss any potential evidence that might have been discarded by any of them. MOO

Tuesday 9/14 - no Mustang https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1437912788899405826

Wednesday 9/15 - Mustang https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438242703087742977

MOO

Last edited:
There's something wrong here. No one has responded. Not local PD, not FBI? That would be a mistake in MOO. Because if it was him I'd think he's now long gone. MOO
Even if LE doesn't believe it was BL, if they don't respond at all it will dissuade others from coming forward with what might be true sightings.

It’s BL.
I've been
Yes the interview was this morning.
I've been waiting to see you post all morning. So if we're confident that this is him, are we confident that he's still in the truck or that he's actually trying to get to CA? What should we keep our eyes peeled for? Was there an estimated year on the truck?

Oh, I believe the guy is telling the truth. The Appalachian Trail is right on the border between TN and NC. The details are true. His encounter happened just east of Cosby, Tennessee. I think he is very earnest and means well. I just don't believe the lost guy crying in the truck was BL.
There was another lost guy in a truck that was possibly BL, and he was crying ? My apologies, but I’m a number of threads behind. May I ask where this was this at?

Of course. I think its usage might vary by County (or State in the case of the USA). I know it's not used too much in Yorkshire, but moreso in Manchester.

If it's commonplace in the US, then I guess there's no significance in me spotting it, but I definitely noticed BL using it when talking to LE at the traffic stop in Moab.

JMO

I haven’t been able to watch the videos if I’m honest for personal reasons but I think you have a good point if it is something he has used in the videos it’s seems like the witness might be right. Considering he said he looked like him and spoke like him and used words that BL has been known to use and in an area known to BL. Definitely an interesting thought. Really want BL caught soon and I hope the FBI follow up on this particular tip. All my opinion.

This is a great insight as to his potential psyche right now, thank you!

I've been wondering for a little while whether BL would pose a threat to the public, and I'm perplexed as to why LE haven't warned the public not to approach him.

I'm guessing that's because currently he's wanted for a non-violent crime, and for them to state not to approach him because he's armed and dangerous would require LE to divulge justification for this advisory??

Do you feel that he is (armed and) dangerous purely due to him being in a state of abject desperation right now, and thinking he has nothing left to lose, or do you believe the potential was always there for him to pose a danger to the public?

MOO

I personally would feel apprehensive around anyone who "has episodes" in which he "hears voices" per Gabby's friend Rose: Brian Laundrie was controlling, had 'episodes': Gabby Petito pal

Yes, but I really believe him. He is just an ordinary guy with 4 kids and he wasn't expecting to run into the dude early in the morning. He's Gen X like me, my generation wasn't big on drugs, just on keeping it real, IMO. I am sure he is frustrated that LE didn't believe him - Imagine how many crank calls they did get from lunatics about sightings on the AT. IMO LE is missing out if they aren't checking into this.

I absolutely did not want to believe that BL had come to the AT, but after reading this guy's account, I fully believe he did. I just don't want LE to miss the boat on this.

Prayers BL is caught fast.
I'm Gen X as well, but my opinion of Gen X is quite different than yours. I recall a lot of drug use. I don't think we have any idea if this man is "just an ordinary guy" from what we know.

This is interesting: "Davis is frustrated three calls to the FBI and 911 calls in both North Carolina and Tennessee have not been returned by law enforcement." Brian Laundrie may have been spotted on Appalachian Trail

I noticed Dogs team asking for a voice recording of BLs voice on Sept 27th. BL was seen on Sept 27th, Saturday.

Lyssa Chapman
@BabyLyssaC

Can someone send me a recording of Brian’s voice ?

11:54 PM · Sep 27, 2021·Twitter Web App

https://mobile.twitter.com/BabyLyssaC/status/1442699126794194946

Local Asheville and Boone hiking groups have been on alert and have reported other potential sightings but no mention of a vehicle. There were several Bounty Hunters that searched the area of sighting. The area is AT, in the Smokey Mountains. Beautiful, remote BIG aggressive black bears, panther, coyote, poisonous snakes, steep mountains.

I posted a local article several days ago Sherriff was looking into the sighting.

MOO...when he didn't hear from the FBI he contacted another Tip Line.

MOO...

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but what stood out to me straight away was how many times the guy who Davis thinks was BL used the word "man".

Is that quite a common word to use in guy to guy conversation in the states?

It's not the case here in the UK, but I definitely noticed in the Moab police stop footage that BL used the word "man" when talking to the LE!

It's probably nothing, but just thought I'd share that observation..

MOO
To me, it's conversation filler like -- so, anyway, like, etc. Like, "Oh man, that sucks." "Hey man." "Man, I need some water."

FWIW (probably not much) BL is from LI and lots of people would say, talking about "Manhattan " (a word which no one would say): "I am going into the city." "I am driving into the the city. " "I am taking a bus into the city." That all sounds like very common usage which might carry over. Technically LI is NYC, but people in all the outer boroughs and burbs would say into.

Yep; I used to live in NY, actually. Manhattan, to be specific (and people definitely do say Manhattan, especially Manhattanites; it's a socio-economic signal. It's highly contextual, but it's more people outside Manhattan who are more likely to mean only Manhattan when saying "the City").

But as with everything, NYC is a bit of its own scale/existence. I later moved to a suburb of another metropolitan area, and no one says "I'm going into "the city"", or even "into town" to refer to anything; no one would know what the heck or where you meant. The only person I've ever heard say it here is me. :D

But btw, Long Island is not part of NYC. Queens and Brooklyn stretch out aways , but if you live on/out on Long Island (never "in"), you don't live in a borough, and vice-versa.

I have serious doubts about this "sighting". Is it just a coincidence this guy is from florida?

Brian is trying to hide. I don't think he is flagging people down in remote areas in the middle of the night.

Also, isn't the whole point of him POSSIBLY being on the AT is that he'd be hiking/camping? Why would he be there if he had a vehicle? I guess it is possible he could be there with a vehicle. Just seems unlikely to me.

Heck, I might be more inclined to believe that this witness was working with brian's parents. If they knew he isn't on the AT, then why not try to make people think that he is? Again, this is just another unlikely, but possible, scenario.

IMO, the most likely scenario is that this witness believes what he is saying, but that it was not brian whom he saw.

JMO

My personal belief is they got into another physical altercation and he simply went too far. I've said it before, but I think all the warning signs were there in him in the weeks leading up to her death. Jmo.
I agree [ebm}. I think premeditation would only be likely if she was leaving him or if he had some kind of psychotic motive. [ebm - MOO]

Last edited:
National Parks and Forests...

There reportedly was a fire pit in the vicinity of the body. I suggest GP and BL were camping there, despite what the rules and regulations say about it. I just don't think they were that worried about it.

In regards to the orange markings at the crime scene, I asked why many were all at the same heights and I believe it was @Tiff23fr who suggested they might mark where photographs were taken from so angles could be measured. This makes total sense with them being numbered for court exhibits, too (thank you @Jurisprudence ). I think that's the best suggestion for the markings yet.

I woke up this morning with the very same thought about camping in that spot. It makes the most sense when I map out possible scenarios.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member