Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been

I've been waiting to see you post all morning. So if we're confident that this is him, are we confident that he's still in the truck or that he's actually trying to get to CA? What should we keep our eyes peeled for? Was there an estimated year on the truck?

No year given on the truck. I have transcribed an interview of all of the witness’s spoken words. He was interviewed just this morning, very calm and very detailed as to how he is 100% sure it was BL. The behavior, words and description match to BL IMO.

And so far nobody has yet responded or done anything about this witness siting. No I don’t think he is going to CA. But who knows ? We need to pray.

And Someone needs to listen to this guy and take him seriously and get on BL’s trail. I private messaged DTBH sister about this on Twitter. I’m not sure what else I can do.

My previous comment was removed because I didn't supply a link, so I'm curious to know what y'all think when CL made the statement in the interview, "I assumed he flew back, because that's what he did when he is - actually I don't want to say that". I'm stuck on what she might have meant.

ABC Exclusive: Full interview with Brian Laundrie's sister on Gabby Petito (msn.com)

“that’s what he did when he “ assumed the trip was over after they broke up ??
(maybe I’m crazy but I think the “is” could be the start of “assumed”

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but it's hard for me to believe the hiker's story, that the alleged Laundrie asked for directions to California from NC using only back roads. If he meant the state of California, that's kind of ridiculous, IMO. Just point your car west. And if back roads are important, buy a road atlas or use Google maps and indicate you want to avoid highways. Just doesn't ring real to me. MOO, JMO, IMO etc.

Brian Laundrie may have been spotted on Appalachian Trail

But BL is socially awkward and I will continue to suggest that he thinks differently than most people. Further, this is practice behavior before he makes a run westward. I will also pose the conjecture that Brian is not a good map reader or navigator, and that Gabby chose their routes and camping places. She may even have chosen their gas station (I always look at gas station reviews and put down markers when we travel cross country, because of some very unpleasant surprises at gas stations).

hasn't it been close to 24 hrs since sighting? So where could he be now..if he ever figured out which way is west? jmo

You and I are on the same page. I think it's possible BL is directionally challenged - many people are. That would explain his love for the AT, which is pretty hard to lose sight of or get lost on (and there are plenty of people to ask).

None of the hikes shown on their Instagrams or Youtube from this trip show long hikes or hikes that would need a map, they are on well marked trails to well known sights.

If BL was indeed lost in SC or thereabouts for a few days, he realized he needed to ask someone and that this need would recur, so he needed to manage his "anxiety" and see if his disguise worked. It did, at least for the brief duration of the encounter - and by the time LE heard about it, he was hours away (again).

That's if this account is true, of course.

This is great info......thank you

You're very welcome - I hope my use of bold font was not offensive, I'm not meaning to sound rude and it can come across that way.

But I would think, that at this point in this case, everyone should be reminded where Gabby died and was found. I don't really expect people to know NF rules the way people know NP rules.

The Department of the Interior rules the National Parks. The Department of Agriculture rules the National Forests. I have worked for both (doing research and training of various kinds). I grew up at the edge of a National Forest. I've cut down Christmas trees in National Forests (never allowed in National Parks). In National Forests, personnel go out and tag the trees they want cut and save on costs by allowing the public to do it (this results in some very large Christmas trees in people's houses).

When in a NF, I assume everyone else is armed. We're about to go up to the mountains during hunting season - we will not step outside the boundaries of our destination NP, because I absolutely hate watching hunters or fearing that I'm about to be shot whether I"m wearing orange or not. Their behavior is often unbelievably improper, as not everyone follows the rules of gun safety (of course). Watching a truckload of 19-20 year olds with guns but little experience with game, hunting or the outdoors...offload themselves into a NF is, to me, rather terrifying. They don't seem to have the right attitude, compared to the hunters I knew growing up (they are not organized, if you speak to them at campgrounds, you find they lack the wilderness essentials and I don't even think their main goal is hunting, as they are way too loud in the forest - maybe they quiet down when they are more miles from parking areas and main trails, I don't know).

NF allows collection of firewood, including downing of marked trees (they don't always allow it to be used inside the NF, though), rocks including flint for tool making if it's there, plants, etc. There are rules, but in general, it's legal to take a souvenir rock from a NF and no way that's allowed in a NP.

Honestly I was really put off by his "I'm highly educated" comment. It's arrogant.
I really do know what you mean, but in this case I truly think he was just desperate to show credibility, because LE and FBI had ignored him.

In other words: He’s not a young guy drinking beer in the woods, he’s an engineer, a married father and professional. The stakes are high. I think he was only relating it to the believable nature of the sighting, not trying to pull rank. He was hurt that LE didn’t seem to believe him.

I'm Gen X as well, but my opinion of Gen X is quite different than yours. I recall a lot of drug use. I don't think we have any idea if this man is "just an ordinary guy" from what we know.

Yes I responded about the drug use already. We shouldn’t lose focus here.

I watched the Interview of him from this morning. You can check out the link I posted. I also transcribed his words.

There's a categorical trinity that is supposedly required, or needs to be present, for a perpetrator to commit a crime:
  • Means
  • Motive
  • Opportunity
If BL killed GP, I feel that of those three, 'Opportunity', we can tick off first in the list. 'Means' is again easily explained away, he undoubtedly had the ability to commit the crime.

What I'm stuck on is the motive.

What do people feel BL's motive would be for killing his girlfriend/fiancé?

... OR... does motive only come into play if there was actual intent to kill?

Maybe the reason I'm struggling to find a motive is because I'm still not certain that BL set out to actually kill GP.

Again, I'm not saying I don't think he did kill her, simply that it wasn't premeditated and the intended outcome.

I think of these three aspects of a crime, proving motive is the one that will have the most clout when it comes to convincing a jury at trial.

I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this!

MOO

Motive isn't an element of a crime, though. It's a part of some prosecutions /defenses sometimes in order to get the evaluator/s of the facts to believe or doubt the "story," particularly (but not only) where evidence is largely circumstantial. It's more about establishing/blunting "reasonable doubt."

A person who slams someone's face enough to cause injury has "smashed it". She showed how he shoved her face, chin, nose up. Causing an injury, which still hurt 1-2 hours later. She may have used the word "pushed", IDR. I've never heard the word smooshed. I hope there is not a "kind" term for smashing someone's face. IMO
Iirc, he said he kind of smooshed her face. :-/

Yeah, "like an F-150" is a problem for me.

If the well-meaning (I'm sure) witness had said it was someone's hard-keyed 70s-era flatbed pickup; then I might believe Brian had stolen someone's second/backyard junk hauling vehicle that he found with keys in it or something.

What sounds like a 21st-century vehicle to me? Not so much.

Ford F-150s have been around/made since 1975. This is a very popular truck in the south and lots of older ones around. I see many 2000 and up on the local market place, for sale. Great HD farm/work/back woods vehicle.

Everywhere you look its F-150 or Dodge Ram.

He may have purchased for cash, used. Some will let you borrow the tag to drive home or he may have stole a tag.

Moo...

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but what stood out to me straight away was how many times the guy who Davis thinks was BL used the word "man".

Is that quite a common word to use in guy to guy conversation in the states?

It's not the case here in the UK, but I definitely noticed in the Moab police stop footage that BL used the word "man" when talking to the LE!

It's probably nothing, but just thought I'd share that observation..

MOO

Yes, very common.

There's something wrong here. No one has responded. Not local PD, not FBI? That would be a mistake in MOO. Because if it was him I'd think he's now long gone. MOO

IME, when LE thinks a subject is long gone (especially from a wilderness area), the dragnet planning is quite different. If any of these sightings are BL (and there will now probably be hundreds more as these stories get front page news and are on youtube and cable news), LE knows he's moving. It's possible he said "to California" when he intends to stay in the East. I don't know how well he's functioning right now, but some people are gifted strategists when it comes to their own self-interest, regardless of how stressed they are or how unusual the circumstances are.

If this was a hoax, the hoaxer is interfering heavily in LE's attempts to catch BL.

The plans that LE use for rolling out a nationwide hunt for someone on the move may well be in action now - they aren't going to tell us everything. I believe they are working with this information - but what would be the point if BL is already headed west?

Even if LE doesn't believe it was BL, if they don't respond at all it will dissuade others from coming forward with what might be true sightings.

There's a reward. Many, many sightings are going to be reported. I don't think people think about "What is the FBI going to do with my tip?" they just call it in. It's fugitive lotto. Unfortunately, many of the sightings will be wrong.

Meanwhile, LE will have to try and gather evidence from gas stations, truck stops, etc. F-150's are too common to have much of a chance of using DOT camera data to find this particular one (but maybe? I don't know how isolated the area near the AT was).

I really wish people who have these sightings of BL would pay attention to where his tattoos would be located. At least the finger tat.

But only close followers of this case would know that - and that's why I am curious about what the FBI will do next...the problem is that the tattoo can also be hidden or disguised. Is it on his left hand?

Would Brian Laundrie be that careless, though, as to say, "I had a fight with my girlfriend," in his explanation to the guy on the AT? It would be so easy to make a connection that way, no? Almost everyone knows about Brian Laundrie, it would seem.
Another question I've been wondering about: Does the reward for finding him still apply if he is found deceased? Thanks!
I wonder if he's thinking since he got away with a "fight with his girlfriend" in Moab without any consequences, he figures that's a good excuse that other people with buy into, and maybe even feel sorry for him.

Ford F-150s have been around/made since 1975. This is a very popular truck in the south and lots of older ones around. I see many 2000 and up on the local market place, for sale. Great HD farm/work/back woods vehicle.

Everywhere you look its F-150 or Dodge Ram.

He may have purchased for cash, used. Some will let you borrow the tag to drive home or he may have stole a tag.

Moo...
I can verify that F-150's are as common as cornbread in the South. Many many of them on the road and for sale.

There is a difference between what is presented to justify a case and collecting information concerning a case. Evidence collection, analysis,findings: assessment of evidence, actions in response to findings, significance of findings and actions in response to significance. Expanding broadly as each point of evidence collected evolves through the process. I presume all the methodical work collectively leads to a specific conclusion, action, response, etc.

I can't explain the truck, but it doesn't take much money to buy an older one.

The girlfriend in California comment isn't surprising. If this is Brian, the only thing that is curious is why he didn't refer to Gabby as his fiancé.

The Yosemite text message has several possible explanations. One of them is a storyline Brian is creating. He and Gabby argued and decided to separate and meet up in California. He's reinforcing the story when he shares it with other people.

If what Gabby's friend Rose Davis said is true, that Brian would sometimes hear voices, Brian's way of thinking and his ability to build a story that makes sense, could be fractured.

I see Brian as a deep thinker and someone who is fond of words, but he prefers them in a book. Socially he probably experiences constraints on his ability to communicate in a way that makes sense to others. I'm like this, too. I open my mouth and mischaracterize or misrepresent what I'm trying to convey. I can be articulate and intellectual, and also stilted and awkward.

Stress and anxiety can lock me inside my head, and when I try to speak I'm sometimes only able to provide a skeletal outline of what I'm wanting to convey.

"My girlfriend and I got into a fight. I need to get to California."
"My fiancé is back at the van doing work. I need to get to the van."

MOO

Do you have a link, please, to where it states they've had several properties that they've sold?

The reason I ask is because I also thought I'd read/heard this, but when I searched online yesterday I couldn't find anything to back up my thoughts, so figured I'd just dreamt it.

A property portfolio would certainly come in handy when needing to harbour a fugitive, that's for sure... ;)

MOO

Many threads back someone had posted about this but I remember thinking they didn't actually make a whole lot of money on the transactions. IIRC one of them was something like 30k. That will maybe pay for the camper and a used truck.

Also, would a fugitive flag down a rando? For all he knew, the highly educated engineer could have been law enforcement looking for him.
MOO here: It was reported by witnesses that he spoke a lot about Gabby on those rides from Colter Bay to Spread Creek on 8/29 and IMO - only MO, Gabby was gone by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734