Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes- would think she would have spent the time with reliable wifi connection & comfy hotel working on the website and social media for the week ...

but there was only TWO posts during that time: The inaugural Nomadic Statik youtube compilation video and a repost on her instagram with a caption that reads very much like Brian wrote it (on and on about plastic etc).

Her LACK of social media posts during this week bother me.

I would really like to know what Gabby did when Brian went back to Florida to help his Dad move things? I am sure she was working on documenting their trip, but I wonder if she was reflecting on her and Brian's trip?

I can not for the life of me understand an entire family covering for someone who did something this heinous.

I am so baffled by this that I keep going back to, why?

Any chance anyone has considered that Brian being the martyr he is put the entire blame on Gabby? So, the parents help him out, legitimately not knowing she was murdered or missing at the time. Blood being thicker than water, they supported their son.

I am not trying to give them an out but I am trying to understand how/why we are here and they are just...gardening. Is there a chance they really did not know anything at first and have been cooperative since they started putting the pieces together?

There is no need to vehemently disagree with me/attack me for suggesting this. I am just presenting an option to be considered because I have been of the 'family is guilty' mindset, like most, but I have this nagging little part of me that says...did he possibly play his own family too?
We actually don't know for a FACT that he did kill her. He hasn't even been charged with her murder.

I can't come up with a plausible scenario to explain his actions or the actions of his parents, but maybe there is an explanation.

I don't think there is, but I really really hope for it. Gabby would still be dead, but at least not at the hands of someone she loved.

JMOO I really think BL called mom after he murdered GABBY . He needed mom and she kept him awake to FLA. then the frantic plan started. After GABBY was found things got wilder than they ever imagined. Watching HLN NOW on the case
I keep coming back to that idea too. I'm not sure why though. It fits just as well that she &/ or the dad didn't know until the calls and texts started coming in, but I just do.

HLN panel just said they think he called parents on the way home to Fla. camping trip was so they could talk in private. Even Alexa listens in the house. FBI gives very little to public.autopsy will show signs of trauma even before death like no water or food, healing from past injuries. GABBY was decomposing. If she would of been found earlier autopsy would not be as hard. HLN showing the LE body cam now.

But in reality, if he (or his parents) wanted to, they could (with a competent attorney...), approach the FBI about cutting some kind of deal that could take many forms (not prosecuting lying to the FBI, not being prosecuted for or having to admit they lied or fled/assisted fleeing the law, millions of possibilities) in exchange for coming in with with their attorney and/or providing information about what happened.

Truly, these kinds of arrangements happen all the time. The best way to torpedo any future negotiated resolution/ leniency/ compromise is to keep jerking LE around, wasting time, money, reputation of the various agencies involved.

bbm
True, but what have they to offer other than his immediate surrender. That's all they've got, IMO.

Someone earlier brought up a question about the timeline of August 17th to the 23rd. Did Brian actually fly home and was his trip confirmed? Other than the Uncle stating that Brian flew home on Aug 17 and returned to Gabby in Salt Lake City on the 23rd, I haven't been able to find any police confirmation. I did find an article from Fox 13 that confirmed Gabby had stayed in a Fairfield Inn and Suites in Salt Lake City and checked out on August 24. The staff was able to confirm that Gabby and Brian checked out on the 24th and that Gabby stayed "more than one day", but that was all they could confirm.
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...here-missing-woman-gabby-petito-was-last-seen

Is it possible Gabby's uncle got the timing of the trip Brian took wrong? Could he have only been gone for two days?

Yes- would think she would have spent the time with reliable wifi connection & comfy hotel working on the website and social media for the week ...

but there was only TWO posts during that time: The inaugural Nomadic Statik youtube compilation video and a repost on her instagram with a caption that reads very much like Brian wrote it (on and on about plastic etc).

If that was a break up, she probably spent most of it on the phone. But it would have been hours of work on that Youtube video, so that's noteworthy as well.

I had posted that they won't release cause of death until Brian is caught. That info came from an interview with a forensic pathologist.

"But Priya Banerjee, a forensic pathologist, told Fox News on Wednesday that officials might not release the cause of death because it could hurt the investigation."
Expert reveals why investigation into Gabby Petito’s death might get tricky

And this:
"Banerjee even said once the full autopsy is complete, it may not be released. If it is, it could be redacted. She said she has kept specific information from the public depending on the investigation.

“With the media interest, you have to always think. What will and will not be released," she said. “As to what exactly, how she died. I think that is going to be kept very close to the vest because of how much has to be put together for legal purposes."

https://www.fox4now.com/news/local-...s-of-gabby-petito-could-take-a-couple-of-days

I think a simple murder as a cause wouldn't affect the investigation. They can keep all the information how that murder was committed, sealed. eg. stabbing, shooting, blunt force trauma, stangulation, all can remain out of public until trial. imo

My feeling is once BL is arrested, this attorney will go away and they will have to hire someone else; or if no funds are there he will get a public defender. But the family will likely need criminal defense attorneys also. So I don't think Bertolino has done anything wrong or unethical yet. His only criminal defense knowledge is traffic, DUI and Assaults, per his webpage. So I actually agree with you about skating on the edge of unethical, but not yet crossed that line. I actually posted about this earlier. Then I reflected, it's okay that he is like that because I want these people brought to justice. And I don't think his incompetence rises to the level where the family could use that as any sort of defense later.

Completely agree it doesn't seem it's an ineffective counsel situation. I'm coming at it from an ethical standpoint. Not merely "could I get disbarred" (or disciplined), though obviously those should be concerns, but rather "what is the ethical thing to do, given that I [he] am a member of the Bar, and not only am I bound by stated rules of professional responsibility (guardrails), but I also believe in the principles that those rules are intended to ensure - namely, fair representation and a special obligation to those who rely on me for my legal counsel"?

Internal and external ethics, if you will.

If I have a potential client come to me asking for advice involving law in which I'm completely inexperienced, and the potential consequences involve literal freedom - I'm bringing in someone equipped to advise and/or handle it.

Even smaller things: ex.: I'm not a t&e lawyer. If a friend wants me to handle their fairly routine estate planning, then sure - I'm competent, and I can read the tax code and research what I need to. But if they bring a complicated, high-dollar situation, I'll give general advice and help - up to the point that I'm not positive my advice is accurate and legally maximizing the benefit to them. And part of my advice to them on the front end is going to be 1) i may want to at least bring in someone with specific experience to review/work with me, and 2) if it gets really complex or legally dicey, I may refer them to someone else entirely.

Clients come to lawyers because they need very specific and important advice. We as attorneys have an obligation to reflect honestly on whether we are competent to provide that to then, whether or not we think we could successfully fight an ethics investigation.

SB may know what he's doing and that what is needed strictly legally speaking right now is well within his competency. But IF he is texting with reporters, or IF he is telling someone who might, at some point, have interests adverse to or unaligned with those of his clients, that they don't need an attorney - whoo, child.

Last edited:
We actually don't know for a FACT that he did kill her. He hasn't even been charged with her murder.

I can't come up with a plausible scenario to explain his actions or the actions of his parents, but maybe there is an explanation.

I don't think there is, but I really really hope for it. Gabby would still be dead, but at least not at the hands of someone she loved.

If he did not kill her, he left her and then did not let LE know where the campsite was so that they could get some start in their search for her. If that YouTuber had not spotted and filmed their van, and given the material to LE, Gabby might still not have been found.

If that was a break up, she probably spent most of it on the phone. But it would have been hours of work on that Youtube video, so that's noteworthy as well.
If it was a break up, I would not be surprised to find out they spent much of the time on the phone with each other. That's what they did. Break up and make up. Imo

1 hour and 17 minutes traffic stop for the LE body cam. HLN says the calm one is usually the assailant. JMOO her parents last pictures of her is this, heartbreaking. HLN panel says these videos will be used in court if there is a trial. Physiological and physical abuse. 2 weeks later shes dead. The witness of BL hitting her on the sidewalk will be called to testify. Commercial now

Strange how none of BL’s family found it odd that Brian returned home to Florida this time by Van and without Gabby. Because the last time he made it home was when he got on an airplane from August 17-23 while the van was parked outside of the hotel that Gabby was staying at. Even his sister mentioned in an ABC interview that he’d often fly home, or something to that effect.

That's why I think his story was that Gabby took off, he couldn't find her, she didn't answer her phone and didn't come back for days. At which point he gave up, took the van and went home. I think he'll say he used her credit cards (if they were hers, which I think they were) either because they were in his wallet or because she left them behind. And he tied it all to the dv stop in Moab. imo and jmo.

This supposed siting of Brian in N.C. and the behavior described has added a new twist to my theory about him. Whether he intentionally or unintentionally hurt Gabby, it would mess with his mind either way. Say he has gone psychotic over it. First there was the text about Yosemite--in California...then telling someone his girlfriend is--in California. By the time he made it back to Florida, he may have been an absolute zombie. Maybe he told his parents Gabby met up with her friend and went to California, so they didn't totally panic as would be expected. His sister said she couldn't talk to him, she wished she could talk to him--but she had seen him. Maybe he was so far out of it that they couldn't really communicate with him, and that's what she meant. I'm not sure the reason for his parents not returning calls or contacting LE, except that if Brian was out of his mind they may not have know what to make of what he was saying and didn't want to hand their psychotic son over to the law in his mental state. There are just so many things we don't know, it's really hard to come up with a logical explanation for what's going on, but I try to find a way to explain things in my mind that don't involve intentional evil. The picture painted of them from the little we know doesn't seem to match one of evil.

Gabby's uncle confirmed that Brian did go back to Florida during that timeframe, and that it was to clean out the storage to save money, that Brian's dad had offered to let them store their things at the house.

I believe that there was a lot of anxiety over the blog not coming along as expected, so they may have figured it would be a break to give her time to focus on that with him away. And to give her a rest from the van life that was obviously taking its toll on both of them.

IMO, she was probably more focused on getting a video posted than randomly posting on social media. Who knows? I'm sure her parents have a better idea of what happened during the time at the hotel and the days leading up to it.

Plus in the sister’s interview she said she didn’t know the van was back, and that she assumed he flew. The lawyer mentioned she’d seen him on the 1st when he stopped by at her home. Either he stopped by her place on his way back in the van (in which case she’d know) or he got home then drove back up to see her in a different vehicle, in which case I find it very hard to believe they didn’t discuss him coming back without her or how that happened. Nothing about this stuff seems plausible in the slightest.

Strange how none of BL’s family found it odd that Brian returned home to Florida this time by Van and without Gabby. Because the last time he made it home was when he got on an airplane from August 17-23 while the van was parked outside of the hotel that Gabby was staying at. Even his sister mentioned in an ABC interview that he’d often fly home, or something to that effect.

We actually have no idea what BL's family thought about him returning alone with the van. It probably is not fair to anyone to presume they did or did not feel this way or that way. imo

The only explanation that makes perfect sense it that they broke up. He then decided to reconcile. Flying home just to help his Dad move stuff makes no sense at all. Until we have some proof otherwise I am assuming he flew home, and since they broke up, he put her stuff into storage.
I believe this also. I believe they broke up following the Utah incident. That had to have been an “oh *advertiser censored*” moment for her IMO. He flys home, but she’s still torn up about it and doesn’t want to tell anyone because that would make it official. The end of their relationship might have also marked the end of her travel blogging dreams in her opinion if she felt she couldn’t do van life on her on. I think she either A. reached out to reconcile and they decided he should come back which is when he starts hitch hiking to her, and they have a blow out when he returns B. She couldn’t bring herself to completely cut all ties and was still texting him / keeping up with him. She mentions she’s staying out at spread creek, that she’s planning on getting back on the road and he snaps at the idea that she thinks she can survive without him and starts hitch hiking to spread creek in order to confront her or knock some sense into her.

I also think given the description of the UT incident, there is a good chance locking her out of the van / threatening to abandon her is his thing, and that much like in UT she tries to enter the van through the window only this time he tries to take off, she falls and he ends up running her over. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734