Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Gabby and Brian seemed unreasonably fearful about the other running off with the van/phones, etc. Their fear seems out of proportion to the consequences if that had happened. They were staying in popular, heavily visited places. If one of them had left the other stranded, the only way a worst case scenario plays out is if they didn't ask for help. Anyone have any insight on this?

True. Suggests than any anxious concern about being "left" was more about the relationship /interpersonal dynamics.

I lost my reply posts during the previous thread close.

To @samiam33: I doubt the person who stopped for directions has any idea someone is telling the story of the occurence.

Reply: To my knowledge based on posts by members this morning, this has now been picked up by national news outlets. IMO if I'm that guy, I'm speaking up. And, I'm speaking up quick before they find me. MOO

To @rosesfromangels: Or he truly believes that's all that happened.
Not trying to give this guy a hall pass of any sort, but I truly think he will be declared incompetent to stand trial. From various bits of info that is emerging, it sounds like he has been unwell for awhile. Likely GP and the parents held him together, until they couldn't any more. All amateur opinion and speculation

Reply: MOO, I think that will be a tall order, as would an insanity defense. It depends on the jurisdiction. If the jurisdiction follows the M'naughten (McNaughten) Rule the issue hinges not on whether he suffers from some form of mental incapacity, but rather only whether he knew that what he was doing at the time was wrong. MOO Not fact.
M'naughten Rule

I believe that they do. But "follow-up" can mean many different things. For example, they can call another LE agency and ask a regular LEO to go to the spot where the sighting is claimed, and report back that BL is no longer there. They can file a report regarding which direction of travel BL was in (according to the tip) and what time of day the tipster says they saw them. People are not always reliable, the FBI knows that.

After a while, perhaps a pattern emerges. I think some of you are noticing some really interesting patterns - I have faith that within LE, they too are noticing the same patterns.

I agree that BL is operating "without logic," just to put it succinctly. If he is alive, this escape has rolled out in phases. Scenario I has his parents (and sister) engaging in helping him and perhaps planting supplies, etc. Scenario II has him go it completely alone, and then either with or without a gun. Where I live, there are pop-up places where people sell used cars and trucks for cash and time after time, no one bothers to change the registration. Apparently some states require that you take the plates off when you sell a car and bring them to the DMV or something - but not in California or any of the states I've ever lived in. Everywhere I've lived, you could take cash, buy a used car, and then drive off. It is the responsibility of the buyer to re-register in all of these states. No receipts, no records and we constantly see criminal conduct in CA that involves a car registered to someone out of state, who had no idea that the "buyer" didn't re-register.

Or he stole a truck. Less likely, right?

With all that out of the way, what next? He realizes he will be recognized anywhere around that AT, so I am guessing he's still heading out of the region, but not north and not into the deep south either - he wants to get back to the wide open spaces that he loves. He probably envisions dying eventually at the hands of LE, but in the meantime, he'll be a wanderer - and a sort of gambler.

I agree with 99% of what you said. I do believe, tho, that calling the Engineer back to get his first hand story should be part of that follow up.

I know someone said they posted a link to the Dennis Davis interview. I looked back several pages in the last thread & couldn’t find it (I’m sure I just missed it). But my question is did he do any on camera/recorded zoom interviews? I know about the NY Post article, but I was curious if there was an interview “on camera”?

Appalachian Trail hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie in Tennessee

Yes. I have transcribed his words.

"Yeah, I'm Dennis Davis and I was coming up from Florida on Friday to go hiking the AT. I got up here to the NC - TN area at about 12:30, so early Saturday morning. I was parking my car at a parking lot where we were going to be leaving a car and I had passed the parking lot so I was doing a U-turn to go back to it and as I was doing that U-turn a vehicle approached from behind me.

The vehicle let me go ahead and finish my U-turn and as I was driving up to that vehicle, the gentleman in the vehicle stuck his hand out and kind of waved me down. I pulled up alongside of the vehicle, it was uh, it looked like a Ford F-150 truck, it was white. Um, I was in a car, so I was lower than the vehicle, I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. Um, I could tell right away that there was, he, something wasn't right with him. He uh, it took him a second to get anything out and he said "man I'm lost." And I thought, you know I was kind of lost myself, I thought maybe he was another hiker, looking for the same parking lot.

And I said "well I'm not from around here, but what are you trying to find?" And he said "Man I need to go to California." And I was like, "Wow, well, I don't know the directions to California, but..." he said "Yea, me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man I love her, but she called me and I need to go out to California to go see her."

And I said, "Well, man, I-40 is right there," we were right next to I-40, and I said "you can take I-40 West and it will get you to California." And he said "No, I think, this road that we're on I'm just going to take it to California."

And that was uh Waterville Rd.

When I got off the phone with the FBI I looked at some more pictures and I saw a profile view of Brian. And you know that's kind of how I was looking at him; cause he was in his truck so most of the time I was seeing the side of his face. And when I saw from the side that profile view, I was like, I am absolutely 100% sure that was the guy, my heart was thumpin' and I immediately called the FBI back, and said "Listen I just called you guys, but I'm telling you this was the guy. And so the lady, first time I spoke with a man, second time was a lady - she again took my information.

Um, I was sitting there in this parking lot thinking what do I do now. No one's calling me so I called 911. At that time I was in TN, so I got the Tennessee 911 and I called and spoke with the operator, she took my information. Again, Nobody was calling me back, I was sitting there for an hour now. And so I got in my car and actually drove back by the site where I saw, just to see if I could see him again.

At that time I was in NC so I picked up the phone and called 911 in North Carolina."

Video cuts out after this.

I said "seem" deliberately.

But in point of fact, he did not stumble over his words, struggle to make logical sense, etc., and that's what I was referring to. He did, factually, make sense, ask relevant questions, respond to questions with complete thoughts, etc.

Yes, OK; but it's certainly possible that he's spiraled since then, IMO.

I mean, I'm not convinced, as there are multiple other possible explanations including but not limited to the possibility that this was some totally random man talking about his not-Gabby, wholly alive girlfriend; but I'm no mental health professional, and thus can't/won't attempt to hang a particular diagnosis on this, or re(de)fine or diagnose Brian long distance.

That pillow looks so white and clean. It can't be very old. I've seen alot of homeless camps in the woods but nothing that clean.
I thought that, too. The moss-looking stuff also looks very green. Idk I’m no moss expert, but I would think after something like that is pulled up, it wouldn’t stay that bright green for long. Bottom line is I agree..the whole site looks relatively fresh.

Appalachian Trail hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie in Tennessee

Yes. I have transcribed his words.

"Yeah, I'm Dennis Davis and I was coming up from Florida on Friday to go hiking the AT. I got up here to the NC - TN area at about 12:30, so early Saturday morning. I was parking my car at a parking lot where we were going to be leaving a car and I had passed the parking lot so I was doing a U-turn to go back to it and as I was doing that U-turn a vehicle approached from behind me.

The vehicle let me go ahead and finish my U-turn and as I was driving up to that vehicle, the gentleman in the vehicle stuck his hand out and kind of waved me down. I pulled up alongside of the vehicle, it was uh, it looked like a Ford F-150 truck, it was white. Um, I was in a car, so I was lower than the vehicle, I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. Um, I could tell right away that there was, he, something wasn't right with him. He uh, it took him a second to get anything out and he said "man I'm lost." And I thought, you know I was kind of lost myself, I thought maybe he was another hiker, looking for the same parking lot.

And I said "well I'm not from around here, but what are you trying to find?" And he said "Man I need to go to California." And I was like, "Wow, well, I don't know the directions to California, but..." he said "Yea, me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man I love her, but she called me and I need to go out to California to go see her."

And I said, "Well, man, I-40 is right there," we were right next to I-40, and I said "you can take I-40 West and it will get you to California." And he said "No, I think, this road that we're on I'm just going to take it to California."

And that was uh Waterville Rd.

When I got off the phone with the FBI I looked at some more pictures and I saw a profile view of Brian. And you know that's kind of how I was looking at him; cause he was in his truck so most of the time I was seeing the side of his face. And when I saw from the side that profile view, I was like, I am absolutely 100% sure that was the guy, my heart was thumpin' and I immediately called the FBI back, and said "Listen I just called you guys, but I'm telling you this was the guy. And so the lady, first time I spoke with a man, second time was a lady - she again took my information.

Um, I was sitting there in this parking lot thinking what do I do now. No one's calling me so I called 911. At that time I was in TN, so I got the Tennessee 911 and I called and spoke with the operator, she took my information. Again, Nobody was calling me back, I was sitting there for an hour now. And so I got in my car and actually drove back by the site where I saw, just to see if I could see him again.

At that time I was in NC so I picked up the phone and called 911 in North Carolina."

Video cuts out after this.
Thank you!! I hate that the video cuts right there…I wanna hear what he says after that!! Lol.

Wyoming’s definition of second degree murder:

It requires a person to kill another human being “purposely and maliciously, but without premeditation.”

Yet, Wyoming case law has established that “purposelydoes not require the actor to have “an intent to kill”; instead, “purposelyjust requires that the actor consciously or intentionally taken the action that caused the killing, such as purposely rather than accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun or throwing a punch. The Wyoming Supreme Court put it this way: “purposelyrequires only that the State prove the defendant “acted purposely, not that he killed purposely.

According to the current pattern jury instructions, “maliciously” for purposes of second-degree murder means “the act constituting the offense was done without premeditation, was reasonably likely to result in death, was done recklessly under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to the value of human life and was done without legal justification or excuse.

Murder in Wyoming

https://scholarship.law.uwyo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1144&context=wlr

A few pages back some were inquiring about the orange paint at the crime scene being away from where the body was found. More than likely she was killed someplace other than where she was found. There may be a trail of evidence along the route when her body was possibly transported to a more secure location across the river. The killer may have tired while carrying her, placing her down for a bit. She may have trailed blood while she was being carried etc.
Jmo.
oh I DEFINITELY think they have a ton of evidence from the scene that would nail him. probably just keeping it all quiet until he's caught under the fraud warrant. but I have no doubts he left a ton behind.
Also a reason they were so quick to say homicide before full autopsy was compelted

Hiker Claims A 'Wigged Out' Brian Laundrie Asked Him For Directions On Road Near The Appalachian Trail

Dennis Davis
was flagged down by a dazed man on a deserted road near the Appalachian Trail who asked him for directions.

The Florida native alleged the "wigged out" man was driving a light-colored truck similar to a Ford F-150 and told him he was "lost" and that he needed directions to California so he could visit his girlfriend. "Me and my girlfriend got in a fight but she called me, told me she loves me, and I have to get to California to see her," Davis recalled him saying.

When Davis suggested the man who he believes is Laundrie should take I-40 west to California, he refused, and only wanted to take back roads. “He was worried and not making sense,” the 53-year-old noted.

Davis did not recognize Laundrie until he was able to look up pictures of the wanted person of interest on his phone, but after browsing photos of the fugitive, he is positive the man he spoke to was Gabby Petito's fiancé.

“There is no doubt in my mind I spoke to Brian Laundrie — none whatsoever,” he continued. “Dog the Bounty Hunter’s daughter sent me an audio file of Brian’s voice and the voice was the same I heard.”

Davis called 911 and contacted the FBI, but said he has not heard back from authorities yet.

Just out of curiosity what’s the highest number of threads a case on Websleuths has had? This one is going for a record lol

Hard to pin that down Katerz. This is not that unusual, but this current thread is very fast-moving so new threads are having to be created faster than many other cases.

Just one example, Abby and Libby's thread count is at #137 right now, but we also have some cases where there are numerous thread within the sub-forum (i.e. Casey Anthony, JonBenet Ramsey, etc)

Wyoming’s definition of second degree murder:

It requires a person to kill another human being “purposely and maliciously, but without premeditation.”

Yet, Wyoming case law has established that “purposelydoes not require the actor to have “an intent to kill”; instead, “purposelyjust requires that the actor consciously or intentionally taken the action that caused the killing, such as purposely rather than accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun or throwing a punch. The Wyoming Supreme Court put it this way: “purposelyrequires only that the State prove the defendant “acted purposely, not that he killed purposely.

According to the current pattern jury instructions, “maliciously” for purposes of second-degree murder means “the act constituting the offense was done without premeditation, was reasonably likely to result in death, was done recklessly under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to the value of human life and was done without legal justification or excuse.

Murder in Wyoming

https://scholarship.law.uwyo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1144&context=wlr

Yes, actus reus vs mens rea. Intent to act vs intent to harm. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics