Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a thought...
It occurs to me that BL may have been moving around, to and from empty vacation cabins, up and down the coast from Florida, and Georgia, and South Carolina , as well as NC.

But here we are now in October, and that may start getting much trickier. People from Maryland and Pennsylvania and New York, who have vacation homes down south, may decide to start taking
long weekends to get away from the cold. BL may find that the places he hoped were empty , now have people in them.

Teenage hormones/love can be powerful. Parents can be the best parents, "raise them right”, forbid the boyfriend, but once they turn 18 there is little recourse other than an all or nothing approach, cut them off if they are not doing what you say. Or parents can maintain a relationship, be there to help pick up the pieces when it falls apart, offer guidance which may or may not be accepted and hopefully be there when they are needed. When I was a teenager I had a friend who was being abused by her boyfriend. I told her parents who were completely unaware and immediately filed charges. If things were abusive during their high school years her parents may not necessarily have been aware and once she left home that’s not something that is usually shared.

Of course, we are all responsible for our choices. Parents are there to mold, guide, and protect. That is not always pleasant nor easy. The parental role changes to meet the child's needs. The process is not 100% successful.

I don't see Gabby as weak as others may. She was young but to old enough to make her own choices.

None of us is perfect or has perfect parents. We don't have perfect relationships.

I don't have knowledge of what Gabby's and Brian's relationship was like. She did seem to have friends that did not report abuse.

I understand. But I'm glad they aren't sophisticated because it's much more likely justice will be served. I know you are an attorney, I am too. I don't see his conduct as unethical, simply as stupid. And you cannot fix stupid.
As I said, questionable /on the edge. But not engaging local counsel or someone with extensive experience is somewhere in the vicinity of negligence in this particular situation.

*I'll also note I've said a couple times somewhere in this avalanche of posting in the last weeks that I wonder if he's consulted with other attorneys with experience /local or Federal criminal knowledge and is keeping them in the background to try to tamp down speculation, etc. There's no requirement to disclose representation or informal advice-seeking, so there's no way to know. I respect that. But if he's flying completely solo on this...ugh. I suppose it isn't really ripe unless and until it comes to court appearances, etc. But I sure would not be comfortable, ethically or morally, as a NY real estate /occasional crim representation/local litigation attorney, in acting as the Ls' sole attorney at this point in the game.

I’m struggling. So many triggers. I’ve broken down in tears several times. Sobbing. I could have been Gabby. Perhaps she covered for Brian because that’s what she knew to do. Perhaps she didn’t tell anyone he was abusive because at first, it didn’t seem that bad. It seemed normal for her. It wasn’t that bad. I can talk him down. I’ll take the blame just so this fight will be over. I won’t tell. I won’t tell…

You instincts are likely correct, I would often portray a happy life on the outside, however was tormented emotionally/mentally for 10 years. GP likely rationalized his behavior in her mind as he likely broke her down to the point that she was a shell of herself and out of fear of being alone (or abandoned), stayed with him. IMO

It's very difficult to get the courage to leave an abuser, they make you seem as though you're the person that has the issues, when they are are the ones that do. I would always take the blame and apologize just to get back to a "normal" space. My ex would taunt me, and tell me "what are you going to do, call your dad" - my entire family lived out of state, this could have been happening to GP too, she may not have wanted to reach out to her family, she was trying to down play it and hope it would just go away or get better, it never does. All just so very sad.

I actually think BL enjoys this attention he's getting in the media the attention is on him, that's what narcissists love, even negative attention. Though he's an introvert, these are the most calculated and manipulative, as they give the impression that they are the victims, though are filled with negativity and disdain for the other person. BL was likely jealous of GP and envied her, GP might have found her voice and told him off or threatened to leave, both of which would enrage him to commit such a heinous crime.

I pray that justice will be served for her family and for all the other women in abusive relationships, listen to your inner voice, and get the support you need to leave these unhealthy relationships.

I know we are supposed to be careful discussing mental health here. But it seems some posts are veering into assuming BL has a major mental disorder requiring medication and further, that it's something he's had for many years. That could be true but we don't really have any evidence of that from WS-approved sources do we? I don't mind speculating as long as the mods don't mind, but I think we need to remember it is speculation.

So far as I know, GP's friend Rose Davis is the only one to say anything about BL's mental state. And she said GP said he had "episodes."

"He's got these jealousy issues and he struggles from what Gabby called these "episodes," where he would hear things and hear voices and wouldn't sleep."

Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

To me, it's a little odd to see jealousy and auditory hallucinations grouped together so casually but ok. Maybe there is a connection.

Further the article states:

"'I used to consider him a friend, for sure, because I'd hang out with them a good amount,' she noted.

'He had this composure as a sweet, nice, caring guy. But you could tell he's a little off, a little weird. Like, he'd set up our hammocks when we'd go to beach, but wouldn't sit with us, which I found bizarre."

Maybe it was bizarre. But maybe it was BL wanting to sit alone to read while "the girls" gabbed? Rose said BL read alot and she seemed to think that was odd too.

But in PEOPLE magazine:

"Davis says that in her opinion Laundrie is "a sociopath" who was adept at lying. Petito would often talk to her about the blowout arguments and tense fights she'd had with Laundrie."

Gabby Petito's Best Friend Says Brian Laundrie Had 'Jealousy Issues': 'Toxic Relationship'

That assessment goes beyond he was "a little weird" which is what she told the Daily Mail.

While different reporters chose to emphasize different things, I'm not sure Rose's accounts are all that reliable. And maybe we need to be careful if we are relying on them.

JMO

I have a personal opinion on the whereabouts of BL. But I know its not the only possibility so I keep an open mind when new information comes in and don't discard it simply because it doesn't meet my personal narrative. I appreciate posters who can do the same thing. Here is my personal opinion.

I believe BL killed GP.
I believe BL killed himself in the Reserve.
I believe his parents didn't know he killed her until they learned GP was missing.
I believe that once he confirmed it to them they began efforts to preserve the life of their son by getting a lawyer involved.
I believe he really did go into the preserve to hide out once he was named a POI and before the media circus went into high gear at the house.
I believe on Friday after he left they found out somehow he offed himself or was going to so they contacted LE.
I believe LE thought they were looking for a body and spent so much effort at it because they knew they only had a limited amount of time before the conditions in their might erase all signs of him and then they would have an open manhunt forever.
I believe that the reason we don't see much of a manhunt anymore even though there are supposed sightings, is that LE don't believe any of them and are only going through the motions to calm the local residents.

But I also know I might be completely wrong on all these points so I look at every new piece of information with my mind open for all possibilities. BL could be on his last mental and physical legs and will be caught soon, or he could be having the time of his life playing super-fugitive and laughing at all the crazy sightings. Or anything in between.

I wish, then, that the parents hadn't just said (in the past 3-4 days) that they believe he's still alive.

Is this just wishful thinking on their part? If so, I wish they'd acknowledge that.

I think suicide is the simplest explanation. But LE must be just as confused about it as we are. They are in fact actively checking out these new leads, so there's that. But as time goes on, I predict sightings of him will peak and then wane. If he is still alive, he'll eventually make a misstep and will be found, but it could take years.

I don't remember the name of the (new) poster with the excellent information about the longest running manhunts in the US that involved men hiding in the wilderness, but they were 7 years and 5 years respectively.

But if she were involved, he would've said she does need an attorney. It just doesn't make any sense to bring her into it.
In her position, simply for proximity, having seen him in September, and having made a public statement, she should consult with an attorney, at a minimum.

Even if she is absolutely true and honest and knows nothing, an attorney can help sort that out with LE/any prosecution so tgat she does not wind up being dragged into something she may have no actual role in.

Being innocent is great; being innocent and not being charged with anything is even better.

I don't think Brian's parents are stupid as others have stated. I think they know exactly what they're doing with regard to their "lawyer".

I can imagine they've had a number of offers from lawyers more experienced in this area who would like to represent them. This case is all over the media so I'm sure there are plenty who would love the exposure. Good or bad.

So the question is, why are they sticking with this one?............

IMO he got her so young her ideas of relationships developed around his craziness. She's been brainwashed by him since age 15???
True, but something went afoul. She became a rushing river of worldwide, all inclusive, benevolent love-healing - while he was digging a hermit pit one spoonful at a time. When he extended his hand to her and asked her to jump in with him, she replied no - I want to update my blog! Talk about 7 wasted years. Brian, with all of his talk of joining the void, couldn't kill what was innate within her - being a fully liberated, lover of everybody and every thing, world hugger.

Its rare for a partner to slaughter someone for not tidying up a van or asking you to wash your dirty feet. More often than not, women are killed, because their partner believes their own plan's needs and beliefs have been left knifed and bleeding by their decision to say...no.

"Well, as it turns out, I don't want to live in the woods and fry grubs and grass for breakfast. No, I don't want to become a yin yang, two-headed, invisible Brian monk clone in the wilderness. I want to encourage people to love their earthly home. I want to teach millions how to love their planet! On the web!"

<modsnip>

The match was lit, as so many of them tragically are, and he exploded. How he exploded remains to be seen. He's handsey when riled, so I suspect he strangled her. So, if anything, the brainwashing program backfired on that dry creek bed and she paid the ultimate price. And, to prove her right, he's STILL running away from responsibility, thinking only of himself.
MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some fairly strong opinions about their attorney. His conduct and judgment are questionable at best, from a legal ethics standpoint. He's been dancing on an ethical edge. Even moreso if they are unsophisticated and dependent on him.
Agree 100% - He is either representing the Laundries SNR as apair or representing Brian (and they are paying him but the client is Brian). Prima facie he is representing the parents.

Now he 's speaking for Cassie L to the press . He could end up being cited to the NY bar council after this all washes up (if it ever does).

KG

But, the parents couldn't have known BL was going to kill Gabby, could they? So, why buy a truck for him and stash it near DeSoto or anyplace else for that matter?
Right. And a vehicle needs plates/registration and you need a driver’s license. If they registered it to him and he got pulled over, it’s over. If they registered it in their names and he got pulled over, possible disaster as well. And he supposedly left his wallet behind, although we don’t know if it was full or empty.

She also didn't know that her daughter would be found dead. I think they still had hope that Brian had just left her stranded and she would be found alive. Imo
She may have had hope, but her comment was addressing what she knew about Gabby and Brian's relationship. The police body camera footage was clearly familiar to her. As someone else stated in this discussion but was chastised, this seemed to be 'normal' for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NNT1