Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MAR 17: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL - GP is the owner of the van
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch
==================================
AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple was at the organic store (Moonflower) from 9am to 3pm according to the police video - they were going to get water and showers - police report incident is at 4pm and the video is over an hour long of this incident. BL is taken to a hotel -Where does Gabby go for the night?

AUG 12
: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park - Knowing what we know now about the police incident - was there really a hike on the 12th? if so, when?
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE) - Is this where Gabby stayed in her van/tent?

AUG 13
: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
=============================
AUG 17: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23

AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 25 - Couple spots van at 5pm at Jenny Lake - alerts LE
AUG 27
- Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify
SEP 1: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted Brian and his mother, Roberta, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied The family alerted the National Park Service.
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement
Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
Sep 17 - FBI takes over search in WY (GTNP =Grand Teton National Park)

Note:
September 1: POI BL is in Florida (we don't yet know when he left with her van to drive home to his parents house where he remains)

4 songs were added to the playlist "Mtn tops," on an account Gabby Petito appears to share with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie: Many of the songs, collected on an account she appeared to share with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, focus on love and heartache.
"Your woman is your angel, is your left side, is your whole life; easily the most beautiful thing in the world," one song, Matt Berry’s "Woman," begins. "She'll soothe you; she'll accuse you; she'll confuse you; she'll lose you but always be the best friend you have in the world."

Another song, "Take My Hand," is about picking up a stranger at a bar. "The Badger’s Wake" is about a badger decomposing underground.

Mother of missing Gabby Petito says boyfriend and his family IGNORED her desperate texts | Daily Mail Online

Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*
Regarding the timeline, when did she post on her IG, that they'd called off the engagement?
Here's a statement from the mom, about the engagement being called off before they went on their trip.
Gabby Petito's mom said she and her fiancé had called off their engagement before going on the cross-country trip where she vanished

I'm not sure. they reported her missing on Sept 11 and, I think it was just a day or two before that they tried contacting Brian and his parents and got no response. I believe it was the police who determined Brian got back on Sept 1st.

the only thing that has me wondering if Sept 1 was the date ... if BL added the spotify playlist on the 31st as been said.... maybe he was home to do that instead of driving back to North Port. I know this could be just hours difference but it could change the times period of her missing.

I want to write a breakdown of her behavior because there seems to be a whole lot of confusion about how she could be the abused one when he has marks on him, but I don’t have time right now.

I’ll just say this- within seconds of that video, I (a prior victim and trained 911 dispatcher) knew that she was the victim. She takes responsibility for the entire argument, protects him, seems extremely overwhelmed, talks about him holding her face (a hold can be much more violent than a slap), has a story that is inconsistent with his in minor but key ways that would indicate the abuse is towards her- locking her out of the vehicle, for example, vs his insistence they were both going to take a walk.

He immediately turns off any sign of being upset and becomes very charming and jokes around with the officers in a situation that is EXTREMELY stressful and should be extremely stressful.

Victims of gaslighting and emotional abuse will seem extremely upset, overwhelmed, take responsibility for things they have no control over, while their abusers make comments about how “it’s not my fault because I can’t control x situation” (“I have dirty feet ‍♀️).

I AM looking at this through the biased lens of a victim, but I gave Brian the benefit of the doubt until I saw that video. If you read between the lines and evaluate everything that was said by either person and the manner in which it was said, IMHO it becomes very clear that she, not Brian, is the victim.

Of course. Shame that you have to explain it.

It's interesting that September 1st is stated as the definitive date that Brian returned. I wonder how LE knows this? Maybe a neighbor, or is there some cell phone info?

Well, it is a crime discussion website, so it is the place to toss out thoughts and ideas. Further, a young girl's life is on the line. Maybe someone here can help in some small way. imo.
#Hywy
I have not been on Websleuths since Jan/Feb 2011, a fellow sleuther "Snufamonbobball" (and others were there to assist with comments) solved my brothers Unidentified Missing Persons case. He was missing almost 2 years to the day. His investigation of the Coroner's report revealed discrepancies. My family owes him so much gratitude. I was drawn to this missing persons case because my girlfriend, now wife, took this same trip at same ages in summer of 1995. I just want you to know that you came to the best website on the planet.

I'm told there will be a protest this evening outside Brian Laundrie's parents house. The mood among people in the neighborhood seemed to be changing last night with more telling us they are frustrated Brian is not talking.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438863719002431499

While I think this isn't a bad idea, I mean add on more pressure, why not? But who really thinks he is still there? From what the media is showing there has been no movement at their home in what a day or 2. My guess is that they left, he is somewhere, the LE knows of course, but then the protest to his house really doesn't have the same pressure. IMO. I wish we knew that yes he was there.

If I'd been hit in the face with a cell phone, had my arm punched while I was driving and the steering wheel grabbed causing me to hit the curb, I'm coming out of that van in a towering rage cussing a blue streak and there would be no question where I'd be spending the night.

But he didn't. He was...forbearing. He wasn't angry. She just didn't like the flies and the sand and the dirt and he had moved the food. Everybody knows food is supposed to stay put.

I can't imagine my daughter hitting and scratching someone, but if she did, I pray she would be treated the way he treated her right then. I don't know what happened after that.

We’ll that’s the “public image” he was showing. Now pure speculation here. But it is not uncommon….for abusers to be charming and sweet to others while behind the scenes…behaving like a monster. OJ Simpson allegedly came home(after the split with Nicole) and walked in on her getting picked up by a guy for a date. He asked to talk to her privately in the kitchen. He slapped and cussed out Nicole Brown….saying she couldn’t date anyone etc. Then came right back out of the kitchen smiling and walked up to the guy waiting….shook his hand….apologized for making him wait and said he hoped they had a wonderful night together and left. All of this witnessed/overheard by the guy on the date and later documented in a book about the case.

So hypothetically….it wouldn’t surprise me at all if GP and BL relationship was abusive and he learned similarly to put on that charming mask.

she admitted hitting him, he said she hit him and so did the witness, what signs of being abused? no marks on her at all but marks on him, imo you cant read emotional abuse into this you could equally say the same about him
I guess you would really have needed to experience it first hand to see this.

Well, that would be a weird, and unwarranted "confession" to make to police, that they were both bipolar but unmedicated, if they'd never been diagnosed. If your theory is true, it could mean that when police asked BL if he was on meds, saying he was acting "hyper", he may have made up the "bipolar" story to explain his (at that moment) "hyper" state. But he seems to have calmed down pretty quickly, and changed his demanor entirely, to being kind of chummy and jovial with police.

Strange.
I think as far as all the mental diagnosis issues, you have to understand young people today. As a healthcare professional I often have patients who will tell me they suffer from OCD, anxiety, bipolar, depression even borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia. When I ask who diagnosed them it's either self-diagnosed or some friend that diagnosed them. People today throw these terms out to justify bad behavior and sometimes someone else will use those terms to manipulate a person. "Take your shoes off and stop tracking in dust" "Oh you're crazy, you're so obviously OCD, the dust wouldn't bother anyone else". So when someone says they suffer from some mental health issue, we've learned to question that, especially when they're unmedicated. I've yet to meet a patient today that doesn't self diagnosis as having some mental health issues. A woman going through a tough time who is sure she's suffering from depression, a person who is afraid of a major life change who is sure they have anxiety, and even a sleep deprived young mother who was sure that forgetting what day it is is schizophrenic. Add that people use it justify so many things, that being some sort of victim gives people an "upperhand" in disagreements and the way so many people today discredit each other rather than listen and so when someone says they have a behavioral issue or mental health issue, it's prudent to question it. Two decades ago, someone saying they had ocd and anxiety would have elicited a different response, but we are now in the day and age where there's so much self diagnosis that we have to question the validity of what someone says. Add to that BL's statements like "she's crazy" and I'm fairly sure the diagnosis of ocd and anxiety came from him. Something he uses to control her, even to the point of punishing her by locking her outside her van until he deems she's "sane" again.

Being angry over this behavior IS the normal reaction. The only person who doesn’t get mad is somebody who views these as menial “tantrums” from their victims and can turn on charm for police officers.

This is why so many women aren’t believed when they say their partner is an abuser. Because the partner is charming. Being the one with injuries does NOT make Brian the abused party. It makes Gabby a suspect, but remember that she was never charged and is also innocent until proven guilty.

Adding to that, only one of them came home, making Gabby the automatic victim.

Her "menial tantrums" caused him to cross the double yellow and then bang into the curb. Wouldn't turning on the charm require a minute or two to get his anger under control? I guess that can all be explained away by just saying he's not normal.

Saying that Gabby is the automatic victim doesn't mean we should put our brains on autopilot.

Follow the latest updates on the case of missing Gabby Petito

A couple claims they saw missing YouTuber Gabby Petito’s van near Jenny lake in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. The couple said they saw the van on 25 August, narrowing the potential search area for investigators if they deem the tip credible. The couple did not see Ms Petito or her fiancé Brian Laundrie.

Ms Petito’s family called on Mr Laundrie’s family to help them find their daughter. The Petitos asked the Laundries “as parents, how can you put us through this pain” and begged them to at least tell them where Ms Petito was left, or if they are even looking in the right area. The family also revealed they do not believe Ms Petito’s final text message on 30 August actually came from her.

MAR 17
: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL - GP is the owner of the van
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch
==================================
AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple was at the organic store (Moonflower) from 9am to 3pm according to the police video - they were going to get water and showers - police report incident is at 4pm and the video is over an hour long of this incident. BL is taken to a hotel -Where does Gabby go for the night?

AUG 12
: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park - Knowing what we know now about the police incident - was there really a hike on the 12th? if so, when?
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE) - Is this where Gabby stayed in her van/tent?

AUG 13
: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
=============================
AUG 17: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23

AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 25 - Couple spots van at 5pm at Jenny Lake - alerts LE
AUG 27
- Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify
SEP 1: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted Brian and his mother, Roberta, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied The family alerted the National Park Service.
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement
Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
Sep 17 - FBI takes over search in WY (GTNP =Grand Teton National Park)

Note:
September 1: POI BL is in Florida (we don't yet know when he left with her van to drive home to his parents house where he remains)

4 songs were added to the playlist "Mtn tops," on an account Gabby Petito appears to share with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie: Many of the songs, collected on an account she appeared to share with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, focus on love and heartache.
"Your woman is your angel, is your left side, is your whole life; easily the most beautiful thing in the world," one song, Matt Berry’s "Woman," begins. "She'll soothe you; she'll accuse you; she'll confuse you; she'll lose you but always be the best friend you have in the world."

Another song, "Take My Hand," is about picking up a stranger at a bar. "The Badger’s Wake" is about a badger decomposing underground.

Mother of missing Gabby Petito says boyfriend and his family IGNORED her desperate texts | Daily Mail Online

Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Forgive me if I'm being pedantic, but who is the "they" referenced here? she's alone at the time, right? I suppose "they" could be everyone in the hotel or whatever...

https://www.scribd.com/document/525663185/POLICE-REPORT

The chants, "Where is Gabby? Where is Gabby?" echoed in the Laundries’ North Port neighborhood Thursday night with handmade signs.
V-MISSING-GABBY-5A_WTVT9571_186.mp4_.00_00_05_14.Still001.jpg

Neighbors hold 'Bring Gabby Home!' sign

A stop sign on the family’s street has also been altered. It asks the big question: Where is she?
V-MISSING-GABBY-5A_WTVT9571_186.mp4_.00_00_11_21.Still002.jpg

Neighbors of Brian Laundrie join the call to end his silence in search for Gabby Petito

Last edited:
For those of you thinking 45 mph on that road would be scary, you really need to look at a map of it. The officer stated he pulled them over approx 3/4 mile into the park, just before the gate. That road is almost straight and level, with the exception of a curve at the very intersection of Hwy 191 and the park entrance road. 45 mph on that stretch of road would be reasonable, IMHO, and it would be extremely difficult to drive 15 mph, especially if one were distracted by an upset partner.

And, the video shows the van pull over within about 10 seconds of the officer activating his siren. IF the officer had lights on before that then I could see them being easy to miss in a van like that where there's no rear view mirror or rear windows.

Edit: In addition, I don't think it's unreasonable to drive until there's a wide spot in the road before pulling over. That's just smart, IMHO.

Last edited:
RSBM
Also, I am using Utah Statutes for controlling law, as we are not sure where GP lost possession of the van.

The above-quoted definition is the standard definition of larceny specifically tailored to auto theft.
Utah Criminal Code § 76-6-412 refers to all forms of larceny as theft; the definition therein states: "A person commits theft if he obtains or exercises unauthorized control over the property of another with a purpose to deprive him thereof." (See: https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter6/76-6-S404.html?v=C76-6-S404_1800010118000101)

The reason, IMO, that BL can't be charged with theft is twofold. First, notice the term "unauthorized" in the definition of theft. LE cannot determine whether BL was given permission to "exercise...control over the property" of GP, namely the van and the contents therein. Thus, element one of theft isn't met. Second, notice the language "...with a purpose to deprive him thereof." This is the equivalent of the standard laid out in the definition you have quoted as "permanently or significantly to deprive the owner of it." And therein lies the problem; LE has no indication that BL wanted to do so. Thus, element two is not met.

IMO, if LE were able to charge BL with such, they certainly would have by now, as they would love any reason to be able to detain and question him.
My post was to remind all of us that BL got away without even a slap on the wrist for actions which sometimes cost the lives of young men in other neighborhoods. Driving away from the police at high speed, reckless driving. If not a threat to the life of the driver, at the least speeding away from cops would be a major offense throughout the USA. For all the cops knew from the 911 report she could have been a hostage whose life was in danger.

She never would have charged him with stealing her possessions, as he had by then, IMO, thoroughly cowed her into thinking she was mean and crazy, even telling the cops She is Crazy.

Was her "clawing" (a term reserved for a "manic woman", it seems) her way into her own vehicle at her terror of being dumped alone without her possessions worse than his deliberately putting her in that position? It was her car, but he drove it, thus deciding if, when, where, and how long they would stop. (Why is this my opinion? Been there, done that). She tried to get him to quit breaking the law in her car, tried to get him to stop evading the police and driving at raging speeds, yet somehow they had a responsibility to arrest HER?

Whenever I waffle on what I think may have happened, I keep coming back to the fact that he retained a lawyer immediately upon returning home, 10-11 days before Gabby's family reported her missing. That means he knew something happened long before anyone else did. Why hire a lawyer for any other reason. It would be hard to argue they broke up, she told him to take the van back to Florida, and he left her and never heard from her again, and he had no idea what happened. To me, it's almost impossible to imagine he didn't know something had happened, or else he would not have hired an attorney before everyone else knew she was missing.

I've tried real hard to give the benefit of the doubt, stay on the fence, etc. but that's done.
Him AND his parents have had nearly 3 weeks to do the right thing and they've opted NOT to.

No more benefit of the doubt from me. They've all shown their colors.

jmo

I think this is the point:
"On Thursday, police in Moab, Utah, released body camera video showing officers pull over their van at Arches National Park after a witness reported seeing them arguing and hitting each other." ‘You never know what you’ve got in a photo’: Witnesses sought in Gabby Petito disappearance case | WFLA
Could you please read the official police report. This is turning into a game of telephone. everyone time it is told, something different happen. Please read the whole thing. You will notice that the report says the complete opposite of what you posted.

READ IT: Police report from disturbance involving Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member