Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone realizes they have a problem before they have done damage.

If someone has extreme anger issues to the point that they're physically harming people and destroying things over small miniscule inconveniences, I'm pretty positive his family/school/peers/etc. would've noticed. This isn't some 40 year old loner who lives by himself with his girlfriend, where only the girlfriend would notice his outbursts. He's a younger man who spent most of his life with parents and in society. Behavior like that would've been noticed and treated early on from school. I'm not doubting he has anger issues, I'm just not justifying the whole "he did it in rage because he can't control his outbursts" rhetoric. MOO

So, does anyone know when the helicopter flew over if there were already people on the ground in the area? I am making the assumption they were. If that is the case, they very easily covered her with a blanket out of respect. Thus, Gabby was not found covered with a blanket. IMO
I doubt they would disturb a crime scene. Moo

BBM
Gabby Petito's body was found 'a five-minute walk from her and Brian Laundrie's van' | Daily Mail Online

"It wasn't far from the van. It was a five minute walk," Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt echoed.
Her remains were found in an area of dispersed campgrounds on the borderline of Bridger-Teton National Forest, about 40 feet away from where Grand Teton National Park begins. Jim left a stone cross and flowers in the exact location where she was found.

Out of curiosity I had to look this up & see for myself.

*Note
1) A pin is placed at the exact location Gabby's body was found to get my bearings.
2) GTNP = Orange
3) Bridger-Teton National Forrest = Green

Attached:
1) Satellite
2) Map Default
3) Zoomed Out Map Default of the area.

She was indeed found inside the Bridger-Teton National Forest.
The van was further away from the border than where her body was found.
Some have speculated that perhaps she was murdered in GTNP than her body was moved to where she was found. I disagree.
Imo, I don't think her body was ever inside GTNP regarding TOD or the moments prior.

I'll have to hunt for the picture someone sent me. I keep hearing it was 900 feet away from the van.

I know people will disagree but I want to see the original video. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that if a body is covered after the murder, it was personal and there was an intimate relationship between murderer and victim because the murderer can’t look at them.
I hope this is true and I hope he did cover her with his precious Orange hammock, or some other personal item from the van.
IMO he killed her before his hitchhiking began, and he was using the tales he told to set up his alibi. I think he was all set to return to their camp and find it full of flashing lights. I think he was all geared up to show shock horror and grief and instead he was overcome with panic and quickly fled. In his panic I think he probably didn’t realize that leaving the hammock, or another covering, was going to blow a huge hole in his planned, “ I was already gone” excuse.
Moo

Last edited:
Here are some recent examples:

1. Ex-con busted for choking, trying to rape stranger on NYC subway - New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)

2. Stranger accused of choking 7-year-old boy on Upper East Side, telling him ‘I’m going to kill you’ (msn.com)

3. Woman says stranger attacked, choked her while she was walking home from work · NewsKudo.

Why are you so upset at me for stating the obvious counter-point that all persons matter?

ETA: it isn't as if I don't think what happens to DV victims is terrible, or that Gabby's death is justified
I feel many crimes (like strangulation) need to have harsher penalties. I truly hope the victims you mentioned get justice and their perpetrators are charged with attempted murder. It's unfortunate in many ways that our justice system will not accept that charge simply because the victim was lucky enough to escape.
I understand your point, but these updated laws regarding DV would ensure that we will have fewer dead women and children (and men) because it is clear the way the laws are enforced currently are not working. I wish every city and county and state enforced laws to the letter, but police have a long historical pattern of believing that being choked by your partner is less severe than being choked by a stranger.
Thank you for your thoughts and intelligent discourse here!

Brian turns himself in, or his family tell where he is? Those are 2 ways to end it.
Could be, I suppose. But I don't see that happening before contemporary attention spans and/or other so-called atrocities result in folks tiring of the matter.

So, does anyone know when the helicopter flew over if there were already people on the ground in the area? I am making the assumption they were. If that is the case, they very easily covered her with a blanket out of respect. Thus, Gabby was not found covered with a blanket. IMO
It was my understanding the helicopter saw something unusual on the ground and reported it to the searchers. The searchers went to the sighting and found her. I thought it was said a few rocks were on her that partially covered her.
I have no idea about hers. I'd have to look at pictures. My nails are short and I'm always cleaning gunk from mine. Not to be gross, lol. I don't even have a dirty job and somehow I'm cleaning them everyday. More stuff gets under them then you'd think apparently. lol
Picture I saw with blue nail polish and entwined with BL'S fingers, they were very short.

I had never heard of WWOOF until now. IMO I don’t think BL could have made it back out West and blended in doing this.

World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms | WWOOF

Here’s how he explained to the officer at the Moab stop ( from the transcript) :

Brian Laundrie: (20:15)
It’s a worldwide outfit. Three weeks on an organic farm so it’s like a volunteer working type of situation where you can work on organic farms. That’s our goal once we get over to Washington. We’ll do that from Washington, moving down into Oregon and then down into California. We’re trying to go from [inaudible 00:20:15] What part of California did you say?

Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

Remember when the Lawyer SB said that BL flew home to get some things because they were going to extend their trip? Wonder if BL wanted to do this but perhaps GP did not.
I can’t find it now. I wonder why lol. I’ve only been thru hundreds and hundred of sites for this case. I read she wanted to end her trip in California where she was to visit her step grandfather. I think after that Moab blowout, she became seriously afraid and reconsidered her plans. Not theirs. I think her imagined future with him was not going to turn out to be the fairy tale she thought. Re-evaluate. Time to pivot. She might have even wanted to go back home to people who really care and who don’t threaten to abandon her in nowhere land. I would want to surround myself with the warm blanket of family, maybe her goal to reach California wasn’t a goal for Brian. What was the goal for Brian?

Possibly, there will soon be protesters protesting the protesters. Where does it end?
Who knows. This really is not about how sympathetic people are or are not about the parents of the fugitive or about the creepy protesters and their harassment of them. Since they only speak through their "trusted" attorney, there is really not much to say about them. Who cares what they do at their home? I want BL found and facing justice. If we want clues as to his whereabouts we need SB to obnoxiously keep talking and slip up here and there, lol. We know where Gabby is. Where is her killer? jmo

The trouble is, it’s very difficult to imagine he or his parents making one move in this direction, IMO. It would have happened by now.
Well, so far, he is wanted by the feds for bank fraud of $1K or more, IIRC. Maybe being wanted for a deadly crime would change some minds? Seems like pretty soon (maybe, IMO) they will be looking for him in that vein, and maybe people who help him could face something different than just a noisy media-pleasing crowd in front of a house.

Last edited:
I mean… sometimes you have to be able to listen to the words said and connect the dots. If you listen well and think critically you’ll hear all the answers.

He said at the press conference that she was strangled. One of the reporters asked if it was obvious right away that she was strangled. Dr . Blue said “nothing here is obvious” or something along those lines (paraphrasing not direct quotes here). That led me to think that there wasn’t a rope or scarf or something around her neck.

Which tells me a person did it with their hands. Sure there are other parts of their they can use but my critical thinking skills make me go to the most obvious and easiest approach which is his hands. And paired with “manual strangulation” on the document filed, there really isn’t much to pick apart here. I don’t like when people question how I do my job or pick apart everything I say, so I’m not going to do it to this guy. I’m done with this topic.

It's fine if you don't want to read or respond to this @SuperTmo. But since it was implied I am not thinking critically or listening well I feel the need to respond.

Yes, we could all likely guess what Blue probably meant at his press conference. But he didn't say "manual" and he refused to answer a reporter's direct question about whether hands were used. Not so a few hours later on CNN. A few people here have said that's because CNN obtained the paperwork Blue had signed so he was free to talk. That makes no sense to me. If what CNN got was basically the COD & MOD with a few more descriptive words included, why couldn't those be discussed earlier? We are talking about two press appearances less than 6 hours apart. Did he know there was a FOIA request? When did he agree to appear on CNN? Was his work influenced by assumptions about DV?

Questioning how people do their jobs is hardly unusual on WS whether it's the Moab cops, the Laundries' attorney, the NPPD, the FBI (especially re: DD's AT siting).... I'm not sure why Blue would be off-limits.

JMO

I think they are allowed to be entitled. That was their daughter that was murdered.
Yes ! This ! ^^^

Whether hiding or even if Brian is caught and arrested ... his family will be able to see him and hug him.
Even send him care packages and money in prison.
Gabby has been robbed forever of a life she deserved.
MOO.

I hope the media removed that portion of the video, out of respect for GP and her family.

I do remember that day, we were watching live, as the chopper scanned the search teams. We talked about it in the thread. I could see the body before it was shielded by staff. Those on the ground quickly knew the helicopter had discovered the body and the helicopter turned to the side.
Moo
Was she covered with a blanket?

"three may keep a secret if two of them are dead"

Aside from the aforementioned finances and resources needed to remain on the lam this long, you would have BL, CL, RL and at least one Person X to help BL.

Person X would have to be totally isolated so as not to involve anyone else.

How many people become compromised? For a kid who had very few friends and a very small network, some of it based in the north east, it's not realistic that anyone besides BLs family would put their neck on the line for him - and even then, how many family members would when his own sister is in the dark?

Back to Occam's razor ... he lies to his parents, takes off, is killed, or kills himself.

Oh, I'm sorry - I wasn't speaking about the social need for it.

Only the legal need. People are charged with assault or murder in places with no specific statute for strangulation (which was part of the conversation in the post I responded to).

Passing extra laws is fine. However, here in California, a man who puts his hands on a woman's throat and even leaves pink marks will go to jail. Even if he's a policeman himself. Of course, the woman or her family have to call the police, which is a separate problem.

But DV is treated with zero tolerance where I live. My main research in the past 5 years has been jail based. DV is by far the most common reason men (and some women) are in jail. Sometimes there's no physical damage recorded at all (broken door frames, etc)

We don't have separate statutes for each form of possible violence, but the zero tolerance policy (with no requirement whatsoever for the victim to follow through with testimony or prosecution ) is definitely helping.

I don't think I've ever seen an assault on a woman where I live that wasn't categorized as DV if the assailant lived in her household or she had a prior intimate relationship with the man. It's always DV (and usually double charges). Sounds like Britain may be different.

Since these policies and laws went through (I spent years working to train LE and teaching at a major police academy, no the topics of DV and gender discrimination/harassment/bias, as well as LGBQT rights), we have seen a decrease in second offenses in my county (less recidivism) but more arrests of women.

For a while, the sociologist I was working with worried that woman would "catch up" in terms of DV offenses (since, like men, they are being arrested if there are any marks at all on their partner). We do not do this with other crimes, btw (automatic arrest and detention). But, it has leveled off and thankfully, COVID hasn't made much of a difference - in fact, it seems we have had slightly less violent crime in my city.

At any. rate, passing strict DV laws has helped - but so far, no one in Sacramento seems to think we need a separate statute for strangulation.
I posted a reply before I saw this post. Thank you for all you do, you are making a real difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver