Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #63

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to hunt for the picture someone sent me. I keep hearing it was 900 feet away from the van.
1-gabby-remains-to-van-png.317100

It's fine if you don't want to read or respond to this @SuperTmo. But since it was implied I am not thinking critically or listening well I feel the need to respond.

Yes, we could all likely guess what Blue probably meant at his press conference. But he didn't say "manual" and he refused to answer a reporter's direct question about whether hands were used. Not so a few hours later on CNN. A few people here have said that's because CNN obtained the paperwork Blue had signed so he was free to talk. That makes no sense to me. If what CNN got was basically the COD & MOD with a few more descriptive words included, why couldn't those be discussed earlier? We are talking about two press appearances less than 6 hours apart. Did he know there was a FOIA request? When did he agree to appear on CNN? Was his work influenced by assumptions about DV?

Questioning how people do their jobs is hardly unusual on WS whether it's the Moab cops, the Laundries' attorney, the NPPD, the FBI (especially re: DD's AT siting).... I'm not sure why Blue would be off-limits.

JMO

He might not have said "manual" in the press conference, but the document he signed said manual (see attached). This may have been the document that they received, but Brian Entin tweeted this out yesterday.

Attachments

• Coroner Report.jpg
    Coroner Report.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 14
BBM
Have we known this?
It was discussed in some detail at the time in the earlier threads. I'm not sure whether the conclusion was a gun case or some other piece of equipment-case.
We do have his alleged friend's interview stating he was interested in guns, however.
I think it's possible, if not likely that he is indeed armed.
But that is just my opinion not based upon known facts.

I feel many crimes (like strangulation) need to have harsher penalties. I truly hope the victims you mentioned get justice and their perpetrators are charged with attempted murder. It's unfortunate in many ways that our justice system will not accept that charge simply because the victim was lucky enough to escape.
I understand your point, but these updated laws regarding DV would ensure that we will have fewer dead women and children (and men) because it is clear the way the laws are enforced currently are not working. I wish every city and county and state enforced laws to the letter, but police have a long historical pattern of believing that being choked by your partner is less severe than being choked by a stranger.
Thank you for your thoughts and intelligent discourse here!

And thanks for your kind response!

I really wasn't trying to make a point, or somehow agree with one stance or another. I am an attorney; I argue for a living and sometimes it comes out in my posts. :p

I really have no strong opinion other than we should do what produces the best results. It really isn't a pertinent discussion in this case one way or another, as unfortunately Gabby didn't survive. I do agree that strangulation is a serious and severe issue, and certainly prevalent in D.V. situations.

I know what you're saying about that commentary by the coroner but there is no way that would sway a jury more than or even as much as the media coverage of this case. IMO

Signs that the murderer is Brian Laundrie are very strong - ironically, in large part because he drove the van home, used her credit cards, and then disappeared. I mean, innocent people don't run. That is a long-standing commonly-held belief for good reason. If you are innocent, what are you running from?
I can't think of any way he explains running along with being innocent of murder. Can you?

IMO

None of these actions align with what someone would do if he came back to camp and found his girlfriend dead. MOO.

Gabby may not have been dead while he was using the cards. The coroner cannot pinpoint date of death to just several days. A defense attorney can ask the coroner if it is possible that she was alive those days. If the answer is yes, …..well?

Most of the time, the Feds let it go when people inadvertently use the cash cards of someone deceased. They may not have known the federal law against doing so and though ignorance of the law is not an allowable excuse, leeway often given. In this case, BL and Gabby likely pooled their funds in that account, just as the van might have been funded jointly, which gives reason that he did not go out to deliberately steal as could be the case of some random person goes out and does so. The use of a deceased person’s bank cards often happens when someone was permitted to use the account and they get used to it. Usually, the Feds do not come down hard or at all in such cases. They have in this case, used this as leverage to go after BL as a person of interest in Gabby’s homicide without making the commitment of accusing him officially. It’s no big deal if they have to let the bank fraud case go, if they can find him and work on the other charges in the meantime
I think she was quite dead when he used those cards, but even if she was not, he was not a party to the authorized use of the cards per the contract with the financial institution between the cardholder and the institution. I think a poster familiar with this pointed out that in fact, Gabby would have been in breach of the contract if an issue came up. Since she was deceased and BL used them, he is charged with the Federal crime of unauthorized use of the cards. jmo

If I'm not mistaken, he said in his conference yesterday that it took a good bit of analysis to make the strangulation determination, because of the length of time her body was exposed to the elements . I guess my thing is, if you don't see obvious signs of strangulation, do you use your bias when evaluating questionable samples? I know that every one has both obvious and subconscious biases, that's why even "science" is not exact. He made his bias known yesterday.
I suspect that it may have been obvious, hence the initial determination of 'Homicide'. The coroner mentioned that they did a full body CAT scan. Maybe something showed up on the CAT scan results that indicated that death was strangulation but they also needed the other experts to confirm that determination?

Gabby may not have been dead while he was using the cards. The coroner cannot pinpoint date of death to just several days. A defense attorney can ask the coroner if it is possible that she was alive those days. If the answer is yes, …..well?

Most of the time, the Feds let it go when people inadvertently use the cash cards of someone deceased. They may not have known the federal law against doing so and though ignorance of the law is not an allowable excuse, leeway often given. In this case, BL and Gabby likely pooled their funds in that account, just as the van might have been funded jointly, which gives reason that he did not go out to deliberately steal as could be the case of some random person goes out and does so. The use of a deceased person’s bank cards often happens when someone was permitted to use the account and they get used to it. Usually, the Feds do not come down hard or at all in such cases. They have in this case, used this as leverage to go after BL as a person of interest in Gabby’s homicide without making the commitment of accusing him officially. It’s no big deal if they have to let the bank fraud case go, if they can find him and work on the other charges in the meantime
In doing research way back when BL was first charged, I found info which led me to believe that bank or credit card fraud is kind of a catch all charge the FBI uses often. Also has to do with avoiding the issue of a Speedy Trial. I Googled Speedy Trial and a great deal of info and case histories were provided. Most all of them also had bank fraud in the history.

Thanks. I thought that the van was parked right next to the road, at least in the RW&B video. I don't remember that little road showing on the map between the van and the "main" road. Unless the little road was "behind" the van.

I know what you're saying about that commentary by the coroner but there is no way that would sway a jury more than or even as much as the media coverage of this case. IMO

Signs that the murderer is Brian Laundrie are very strong - ironically, in large part because he drove the van home, used her credit cards, and then disappeared. I mean, innocent people don't run. That is a long-standing commonly-held belief for good reason. If you are innocent, what are you running from?
I can't think of any way he explains running along with being innocent of murder. Can you?

IMO
Sure. I can counter that opinion easily. Some people - possibly Laundrie, possibly not - are exposed to something grotesquely distasteful (to them) like the murder of a spouse, for example... and they just want to get as far away from everyone and everything as they can. Some turn to nomadic living... some go homeless... some move to other countries... blah, blah, blah. The options are quite voluminous. Do I know that Laundrie falls into that category... heck no... how on earth would I.

One of my favorite movies is "Fargo". One person kick starts an action and the karmic freight train emerges from the mist and begins picking up momentum as it rips through lives and leaves collateral damage of unanticipated proportions in it's wake. This case is like that. A decision is made. The train leaves the station and thousands, if not millions of lives are altered to a greater or lesser degree.
The tragedy being complete, the train barreling down the track. The young man murders the girl. Handlers help him disappear. The parents are left wondering when a bullet might come through the window from some insane someone...out there. LE is silent now.
It will be fascinating to see how this saga concludes.

Last edited:
I'm thinking she ran barefoot. He caught up with her. The boots in the tableau have some different meaning.
I wonder if she took the boots off when she got to the tent site because they were wet. There looks to be not just the little creek, but also standing water all around that area that she may have had to walk in. Or, she took them off once settled in at the tent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JDeWalt