Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
it is an interesting counter-intuitive that a guy who seemed intent on keeping his actions a secret took no measure to conceal his cross country travels. using her credit card (not to mention driving her car) do not suggest someone covering tracks. Hanging out with his family for more than a week may have turned from waiting for the inevitable to formulating a plan (either for escape or suicide).

That said, the complete lack of effort to disguise himself or his movements upon the return trip to Florida seems to suggest either 1) he thought he would get away with it, 2) he knew he wouldn't, or 3) he didn't do it. It definitely doesn't suggest a likelihood of huge conspiracies, long term planning or a network of friends and confidants helping him hide across the country.

If he didn't do it, he could have called 911 instead of driving away from the Spread Creek dispersed camping. If he had called 911, her remains would have been found within days if not the same day, and her remains would have provided a lot more information than they could after 23 days outside in the elements. Perhaps there would have been bruises and wounds on her body. Perhaps there would have been signs of struggle. Perhaps there would have been usable DNA under her fingernails. If someone other than BL killed her, that DNA could have exonerated him. So, why didn't he call 911?

If he killed her, not calling 911 has benefited him because of the state of the remains providing less evidence after 23 days. It also gave him time to scrub the van (if that was the place of death) and get rid of potential evidence (i.e., her cell phone and Apple watch, his cell phone, and anything else).

I don't think this will be a death penalty case, and I really couldn't care less. He will not do well in prison, and that'll be punishment enough.

First things first though, gotta find him.
I don't care if he's put to death either, A lifetime in a small prison cell to someone that supposedly loves the outdoors will be a much worse punishment. MOO
Not to mention the kind of people BL could come into contact with.

I think he did the deed, maybe that first week missing. Probably on a hidden trail somewhere. But likely won't be found for 3-5 years, or longer, if at all.

The FBI needs to conclude their expensive training exercises already. He was never there, or if he was, he'd be long gone gator bait by now.

SMH, in my opinion only...

I assume most of the guys if there were any/many others just took it as good natured ribbing and not abuse worth dumping a girlfriend over.
BIG AGREE.
If a guy can't take a little ribbing from his girlfriends dad; what kind of man is he honestly. MOO
What happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"
Maybe kids aren't taught that any more

So more of Gabby apologizing profusely for things she didn't even do?

IMHO I see a lot of sexism in the very idea that any woman should apologize profusely for what her dad said to her boyfriend. And I would never talk to my dad like that.

JMO
And a lot of sexism trying to blame the Petitos and Gabby for her death. (not you) And a lot of sexism creating an entire story that never happened, painting Gabby and Joe as somehow mean to the laundries. They are victims, not the Laundries!

There is nothing stating she took her dad's side in calling him that. Like I said, if my date was the one saying it, I’d have an issue.

I was agreeing with you that it isn't an issue if the dad is saying it. I didn't say that she took her dad's side, I just said it would only be an issue if she did. Just like you said if it was your date saying it, you'd have an issue. We both said the same thing.

In light of what's going on here, this is an interesting read. I was looking for information in how fugitives escape capture, and found this. This is a story about Seth Michael Ferranti who spent two years on the run from the FBI. There were a few more like this that I read and a common theme is to fake a suicide. Anywho, read away....
I spent two years as a fugitive

Young women (and girls) read Palahniuk. And not just at the behest of a man. Women in same-sex relationships read Palahniuk too. Older men, older women read him too. He's too dark for many people, but his following is diverse and loyal.
Snipped for focus.
I'd never heard of the guy, so I looked him up. Seems very tedious to me. However, one thing did jump off the page: one of the more well-known books Palahniuk wrote is called Choke. Seriously.

Barnette, Marcivicci Aquilia
Convicted and sentenced to death for the killing of his ex-girlfriend.

Gabrion, Marvin
Convicted and sentenced to death for killing a woman on federal land.

Jackson, Richard Allen
Convicted and sentenced to death for the fatal shooting of a woman while on federal property in North Carolina.

The list goes on and on for all those "Convicted and sentenced to death for the killing of ..."
None of those cases are remotely like this one. Barnette stalked his ex-girlfriend, burned down her house with her inside, killed the driver of a car he carjacked, lie in wait for his ex-girlfriend and gunned her down with a shotgun.

Gabrion murdered a woman two days before she was set to testify in a rape case against him, to shut her up.

Jackson raped and shot to death a total stranger.

Again, there is not a single man on federal death row for the simple act of a DV strangulation of his partner.

United States of America, Plaintiff-appellee, v. Aquilia Marcivicci Barnette, Defendant-appellant, 390 F.3d 775 (4th Cir. 2004)
Marvin Gabrion - Wikipedia
FindLaw's United States Fourth Circuit case and opinions.

None of those cases are remotely like this one. Barnette stalked his ex-girlfriend, burned down her house with her inside, killed the driver of a car he carjacked, lie in wait for his ex-girlfriend and gunned her down with a shotgun.

Gabrion murdered a woman two days before she was set to testify in a rape case against him, to shut her up.

Jackson raped and shot to death a total stranger.

Again, there is not a single man on federal death row for the simple act of a DV strangulation of his partner.

United States of America, Plaintiff-appellee, v. Aquilia Marcivicci Barnette, Defendant-appellant, 390 F.3d 775 (4th Cir. 2004)
Marvin Gabrion - Wikipedia
FindLaw's United States Fourth Circuit case and opinions.

Could part of the reason be that most DV cases don’t fall squarely into Federal-case territory?

MOO

I like the guy, basically and I understand his grief and his love for his daughter. And no, I don't think that quirk of his is what caused the death of his daughter in any way. But he is not a saint, he's a guy who tends to be bullyish and that's not something to be proud of. I understand his absolute rage and I recognize and admire his ability to try to control it and set up a foundation in his daughter's honor to help other parents locate their children and deal with their fear and grief. We all have our weaknesses, and he is trying to turn his to strength. I see it, and I like him for it.!!!! jmo
I agree with what you’re saying. & no one is perfect & everyone has faults…& I’m coming in on the tail end of this convo I think, but I just wanted to add that idk if I would consider him to be “bullyish” with BL. I would more so say that he gave BL a hard time bc he was seriously dating his daughter. I know lots of dads like that (including my own haha!) who are never mean & malicious…they just give their daughter’s boyfriends a hard time lol. JMO :)

I smell a murder warrant coming soon…

September 26: The FBI requested some personal items belonging to Brian to assist with DNA matching & parents provided with what they could.

October 5: The actual signed autopsy report.

Law enforcement took DNA samples from Petito’s body and did not elaborate.

I don't see how BL's DNA can be useful unless there was his DNA under her fingernails, but I've heard experts say that anything under her nails was probably degraded/unusable due to the time her remains were out in the elements.

This seems as if it is going to be a very circumstantial case against BL, and may never go to trial because he may never be found.

If he didn't do it, he could have called 911 instead of driving away from the Spread Creek dispersed camping. If he had called 911, her remains would have been found within days if not the same day, and her remains would have provided a lot more information than they could after 23 days outside in the elements. Perhaps there would have been bruises and wounds on her body. Perhaps there would have been signs of struggle. Perhaps there would have been usable DNA under her fingernails. If someone other than BL killed her, that DNA could have exonerated him. So, why didn't he call 911?

If he killed her, not calling 911 has benefited him because of the state of the remains providing less evidence after 23 days. It also gave him time to scrub the van (if that was the place of death) and get rid of potential evidence (i.e., her cell phone and Apple watch, his cell phone, and anything else).

He could have panicked. People do. Had had a fight with her, had been fighting with her during the trip and not only was a DV report on file but a number of people had seen them. Some we don’t even know about because they have not come out yet. Maybe he touched Gabby, finding her dead after a fight snd having stalked off, leaving her alone for awhile, realized this looks really bad on him.

Without forensic evidence , Gabby’s death can be explained either way.

Sound likely? No but does it create some reasonable doubt to some.Maybe to some on a jury

He didn’t do the right thing even if he did not kill her. Is paying for that, and making his family suffer too If he did kill her, he’s not fit to be loose among people in society. Too dangerous. He’s shown that he would kill someone. Lack of control.

I wish the vigilante crowd would make it clear that it’s the running from situation that makes this worse

Still fits, would you rather be called names or hit with something?
(If you have one) Would you rather have your daughter be with a guy that snaps at the drop of a word or can take a bit of verbal abuse before he snaps?
Just trying to clarify my stance

Its not me that you have to convince. I agree with your post. I dig your point. A person should be able to let that stuff not rile them, and then when you leave you tell your girl, "Your dads a jerk" lol

I don't see how BL's DNA can be useful unless there was his DNA under her fingernails, but I've heard experts say that anything under her nails was probably degraded/unusable due to the time her remains were out in the elements.

This seems as if it is going to be a very circumstantial case against BL, and may never go to trial because he may never be found.
I'm confident he'll be found. It may take time, but he'll be found.

If he’s found dead or not found at all, it will not go to trial by his parents will Stil have a mess on their hands. A civil suit is certain IMO, and they do not need evidence as strictly as a criminal case

I heard a forensics expert say this the other day - & I’m sure they worded it better than I can lol. But they basically said that having BL’s DNA is useful to prove that there’s no other person’s DNA on Gabby but his. & saying it that way I thought was interesting. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett