Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have panicked. People do. Had had a fight with her, had been fighting with her during the trip and not only was a DV report on file but a number of people had seen them. Some we don’t even know about because they have not come out yet. Maybe he touched Gabby, finding her dead after a fight snd having stalked off, leaving her alone for awhile, realized this looks really bad on him.

Without forensic evidence , Gabby’s death can be explained either way.

Sound likely? No but does it create some reasonable doubt to some.Maybe to some on a jury

He didn’t do the right thing even if he did not kill her. Is paying for that, and making his family suffer too If he did kill her, he’s not fit to be loose among people in society. Too dangerous. He’s shown that he would kill someone. Lack of control.

I wish the vigilante crowd would make it clear that it’s the running from situation that makes this worse

The idea that he didn't kill her but found her dead and took off because he feared being arrested for her death makes little sense. What is worse? Calling 911 and reporting her death or not calling 911 and running? I don't see how the idea that he fled because he might "look guilty" would convince a jury that he wasn't actually guilty.

ETA: Running REALLY looks like "consciousness of guilt."

ETA: Plus, as far as he knew, LE thought he was the DV victim.

Last edited:
Could part of the reason be that most DV cases don’t fall squarely into Federal-case territory?

MOO

Death penalty not on the table for federal cases right now. But prison time highly likely. There is the pain and ignominy of a criminal trial as well

Sadly, there are many cases like Gabby’s. In my little town , one just last week. A couple got into a fight that got too physical and someone was killed. Happens between spouses and other family members, friends, strangers even, sometimes over a stupid event. Someone get badly hurt or die, it generally means criminal charges and jail time. When you show you can get that violent to hurt or kill someone, you need a time out from society and freedom

I heard a forensics expert say this the other day - & I’m sure they worded it better than I can lol. But they basically said that having BL’s DNA is useful to prove that there’s no other person’s DNA on Gabby but his. & saying it that way I thought was interesting. JMO.
That is a good point! It's just that I wonder if they can actually find anyone's DNA on her after being in the elements for 23 days.

I heard an expert say that any DNA under her nails would probably be degraded by now. So that stinks.

I don't see how BL's DNA can be useful unless there was his DNA under her fingernails, but I've heard experts say that anything under her nails was probably degraded/unusable due to the time her remains were out in the elements.

This seems as if it is going to be a very circumstantial case against BL, and may never go to trial because he may never be found.
If there is a concentration of only Brian’s DNA on her neck bones, tendons, and ligaments, then that is damming evidence against him.

The coroner also said they CT scanned her body so I’m assuming it was still pretty well intact considering you wouldn’t need to scan it if the bones and organs were already exposed.

Could part of the reason be that most DV cases don’t fall squarely into Federal-case territory?

MOO
No, the feds don't generally get involved in DV cases. Even Wyoming does not put DV murderers on death row. Mark Allen Hopkinson (October 8, 1949 – January 22, 1992) was a convicted murderer who was executed by the U.S. state of Wyoming in 1992 for the murders of Vincent Vehar, Beverly Vehar, John Vehar, and Jeffrey Green. He is the only person to have been executed in Wyoming since the 1960s.

Only 1 person is currently on death row in Wyoming, Dale Wayne Eaton. For kidnapping, rape and murder.

BL does not appear to be in any great danger of the death penalty, either in the federal system or in Wyoming state. IMO

That is a good point! It's just that I wonder if they can actually find anyone's DNA on her after being in the elements for 23 days.

I heard an expert say that any DNA under her nails would probably be degraded by now. So that stinks.
I really like hearing Joe Scott Morgan talk about that stuff. He’s on Nancy Grace’s show every day & comes in as a subject matter expert on a lot of different shows. He did a great interview on NewsNation the other day I’ll see if I can find it. He’s a professor at Jacksonville State in Alabama. Anyways…he went thru all the different possibilities of where they probably would or would not be able to get DNA. It’s a little graphic, but very informative.

I really like hearing Joe Scott Morgan talk about that stuff. He’s on Nancy Grace’s show every day & comes in as a subject matter expert on a lot of different shows. He did a great interview on NewsNation the other day I’ll see if I can find it. He’s a professor at Jacksonville State in Alabama. Anyways…he went thru all the different possibilities of where they probably would or would not be able to get DNA. It’s a little graphic, but very informative.

It would help to know why there were so many 911 calls from his parents house. Was he wanting to commit suicide?

If he were suicidal, Florida has the Baker Act. He would have been held if he were.
Since they didn't Baker Act him, that would likely be a "no". Well, at least if they could find him to Baker Act him that is.

None of those cases are remotely like this one. Barnette stalked his ex-girlfriend, burned down her house with her inside, killed the driver of a car he carjacked, lie in wait for his ex-girlfriend and gunned her down with a shotgun.

Gabrion murdered a woman two days before she was set to testify in a rape case against him, to shut her up.

Jackson raped and shot to death a total stranger.

Again, there is not a single man on federal death row for the simple act of a DV strangulation of his partner.

United States of America, Plaintiff-appellee, v. Aquilia Marcivicci Barnette, Defendant-appellant, 390 F.3d 775 (4th Cir. 2004)
Marvin Gabrion - Wikipedia
FindLaw's United States Fourth Circuit case and opinions.
Possibly Scott Peterson, but we don't know exactly how he killed Laci. Oh wait... you said "Federal". Nevermind. MOO

I assume most of the guys if there were any/many others just took it as good natured ribbing and not abuse worth dumping a girlfriend over.

I think it would need to be defined as good natured ribbing. Maybe some dads like their daughters to go out with guys who like football and cars not one who draws cartoons and reads book passages aloud. As a parent I was always advised if you don't like your kid's current boyfriend/girlfriend the last thing you do is criticize them or belittle them. They might just double down with the relationship.

I'd really like that link.

ETA: I heard an expert talking about how they can obtain DNA from the entomology results, but I think that would only be the victim's DNA.

To see her family? Put a few miles on the van while still near family? Did Gabby still have family in NY? Otherwise, I can't think of a reason, unless they had good friends there. Grandparents?

Because they were planning to remain in Oregon, north of Portland, for a while (there's an excellent explanation by River Doc here:

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

Probably already been answered but they went back to NY to see one of her step brothers graduate high school sometime the end of June then on July 2 I think they left on their odyssey.

I’m not entirely sure why this thread has been hijacked by discussions about father-daughter and father-son relationships, but I just want to add my two cents on the matter. I’ve said this many, many, many threads ago, but my boyfriend and I are the same age as BL and GP and neither of us care(d) about what our parents thought of our relationship or our choice in partners. In fact, I didn’t even tell my parents I was dating him until 3-4 months into our relationship. We’ve been together almost 4 years now about both of our parents are incredibly supportive, but that doesn’t mean they don’t sometimes try and give us unsolicited advice. IMO all of the debate over the dynamic between GP’s dad and BL is irrelevant to what was happening between GP and BL. On top of that, I personally find some of the comments on this thread about how GP bears some responsibility for not apologizing for things her father may have said to BL to be couched in thinly-veiled misogyny—the bottom line is that both of them were adults. GP wasn’t responsible for apologizing for things outside of her control, and to suggest that she was seems like victim-blaming to me, MOO.

I have no idea why anyone else is discussing it, but earlier today I was discussing the possibility that JP's relationship with BL might have been rocky (using that interview with Dr. Phil as a reference) and that BL and his parents may not have cared for JP and could be a possible explanation why the Laundrie parents ignored his calls. I didn't say or imply in any way that it gave BL the right to kill GP. That is a flight of fancy that people jump to if anyone dares defend the Laundries in any way.

BBM. If the reward is big enough ($$$) they will deliver him with a mariachi band leading the way, guaranteed.
Amateur opinion and speculation

If only that were true.

Abby and Libby were murdered on Feb. 13, 2017. The reward is now $325,000 for anyone who can provide police with a break, and still no-one has come forward.

It’s late and things are getting testy in here.
Time to close the thread and clean it up from the TOS violations.
There may be some Time Outs issued, because, it’s not like you DON’T know the limits on the discussion here by now on Thread #65. We have to assume you are choosing NOT to abide by the TOS that apply to every thread here. Personalized bickering is one that was flaunted here tonight.

Check back in the morning for the thread to open.

If only that were true.

Abby and Libby were murdered on Feb. 13, 2017. The reward is now $325,000 for anyone who can provide police with a break, and still no-one has come forward.
That is a particularly heinous case; prayers for justice for those dear girls.
The difference in this case, and why I remain hopeful, is that unlike the Delphi case, we *know* who we are searching for.

I have no doubt BL will be found. Let's pray it's very soon.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member