Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh @wfla is saying a federal arrest warrant out of Denver for BL. (live)

Use of unauthorized access devices ?

It’s about time!!!! But shocked it’s not for Gabby! And parents are protected by FLA law! That’s not right!

Brian Laundrie's Parents Are Revealing Big Clue He's Still Alive, Petito Family Says

Gabby Petito's parents used an emotional interview with Australian TV show 60 Minutes to criticize both Brian Laundrie and his family's response to his disappearance.

Her mother, Nichole Schmidt, said: "They know most of the information, I don't know why they're doing this to us. I feel like we need to just know, at this point."

This is thought to refer to claims the Laundrie family has provided insufficient information about the fugitive, feeding accusations Brian Laundrie may have received assistance with his disappearance.

Her father Joe Petito said: "If they do know something and they're withholding that and they don't want to let us know, it's cruel."

His mother added: "Their actions don't show that their son is missing. It shows that they're just comfortable and they probably know where he is."

The parents are even less equivocal in the criticism of Brian Laundrie, described by Schmidt as "a coward."

She added in the interview scheduled for broadcast on October 17: "This was evil. She was taken at somebody else's hand."

Brian Laundrie's Parents Are Revealing Big Clue He's Still Alive, Petito Family Says (msn.com)
Good, take the gloves off. If he is never found, at least there will be no doubt whatsoever in the mind of the world-wide public as to what happened, who was responsible and who probably helped out with the coverup. Rightly or wrongly, that's the way the game is played when one group of parties is stonewalling legally or otherwise. IMO

What if your child came home and, in the meantime, you have decided to hire a lawyer and have the lawyer peacefully surrender your child to authorities but your child's reaction is that if you did that, they were going to kill you or they actually kill you for making the suggestion or they kill themself in your home?
True enough, but at this point, we don't know anything of what went on in that household.

The Laundries face civil lawsuits that can put them in financial ruin, not to mention attorney costs. They are not wealthy. Imagine how YOU would be if in such a situation. Cooperating is not going to help them in this regard. Experience shows that it just gives even more fodder in such lawsuits. Highly unlikely Gabby’s family would not Sue even if they bent over backwards to cooperate. Not the way it works

Not sure why you are inserting ME into this... but okay. If I were in the Laundrie's situation as parents, and my son was innocent, I would have told my son to call CP's parents to tell them that he was home and what the circumstances were that he left their daughter behind. If he didn't call them, I would. I wouldn't have ignored her parents' calls and texts and hand LE a lawyer card when they finally came to check on the missing girl.

ETA: However, this isn't about me. This is about the behavior of BL's parents who ignored the calls and texts of frantic parents and handed a lawyer's card to LE when they came knocking on the door. This is more than odd.

Last edited:
My post addressed the fact that the Laundries had their lawyer contact LE 5-6 days after he left home, and then added the bombshell on Saturday about the Mustang. It had nothing to do with when they initially contacted an attorney.
Sorry.

Last edited:
I keep seeing references to BL "running home to mommy." (Not just in @oviedo's posts) I know some posts on the topic got deleted in an earlier discussion on another thread for using a term ending in "boy." So no one should use that 2-word term.

BL lived with the Laundries. So why are some sure "he ran home to mommy" vs "he ran home?" Or even "he ran home to dad?" What published evidence do we have or what observations/interpretations of public evidence leads to the often-repeated contention he ran to mom? I've seen nothing to suggest he was especially close to RL. Perhaps some could provide some links? Thanks.

JMO
You keep seeing the references about "running home to mommy" because a lot of people see BL as an unmotivated slacker, who at nearly 24 years of age was not employed since quitting Publix and still living with mommy and daddy. Through life experience, many equate that with being overly dependent on parents. Most people in their 20s want to be independent. Do not want to live with their parents. And take the necessary steps to get out from under. If they like living at home so much that they are unmotivated to leave, then likely they are being coddled and/or close to their parents in an unhealthy way. I said LIKELY. I realize there are exceptions. There is a lot of published material about BL and that is where observations/interpretations are coming from. It appears he is a man-child. MOO.

The Laundries face civil lawsuits that can put them in financial ruin, not to mention attorney costs. They are not wealthy. Imagine how YOU would be if in such a situation. Cooperating is not going to help them in this regard. Experience shows that it just gives even more fodder in such lawsuits. Highly unlikely Gabby’s family would not Sue even if they bent over backwards to cooperate. Not the way it works
What kind of civil lawsuits could the Laudries face?
tia

What exactly are the risks of an innocent person talking to LE? Just talking to them, from the confines and protection of his own home. As BL could have and should have done immediately, with his lawyer present. I can see no risk to him whatsoever but maybe I'm not imaginative enough. You can talk to cops with your lawyer present. He didn't even do that.

If he was innocent there would be nothing at all for them to "catch" him saying or doing.

If he was partially guilty there would be, but whatever he did he should take responsibility and tell LE and the Petitos what happened instead of running like a coward.

BL's a privileged young man living with his parents in "good" neighborhood. Nothing was going to happen to him from talking to LE, IMO.

I want to preface this post by saying that I personally believe Brian is guilty, but I completely understand why people choose not to speak with police regardless of their guilt/innocence. An innocent person may choose not to speak to LE for a variety of reasons, just as a guilty person may also choose to exercise their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. False confessions are unfortunately not as rare as one might think. It is extremely difficult to accurately ascertain the prevalence of false confessions, but some studies have tried to provide a general estimation. In a survey of inmates over 1,000 inmates with mental illness, 9 to 28 percent of them reported to have falsely confessed and 27 to 41 percent reported to have submitted a false guilty plea (Redlich, Summers, and Hoover 83).

It may seem counterintuitive, but the phenomenology of innocence can have a major detrimental impact on the suspect's decision-making abilities. Common interrogation techniques such as the evidence ploy (where the interrogator(s) claim to have evidence implicating the suspect in the crime when they actually do not) or bluffing (where interrogators claim(s) to have evidence without claiming that it necessarily implicates the suspect) may actually be more effective on the innocent than the guilty. Innocent suspects accused of crimes generally hold a naive belief that their innocence will be apparent to others, and are thus more likely to waive their Miranda rights (Perillo and Kassin 328). One experimental study found that innocent participants were more likely to waive their Miranda rights than guilty participants even when the officer was aggressive, hostile, and confrontational (Kassin 116).

If a false confession is made, it can be very difficult to overcome in the eyes of the jury. Despite believing that tactics such as the false evidence ploy or wearing down the suspect with a long interrogation to be coercive, jurors do not believe that such tactics are necessarily likely to elicit false confessions (Blandon-Gitlin, Sperry, and Leo 247). Potential jurors significantly underestimate the power of a false confession––52 percent said that a person who falsely confessed to a crime would be convicted even in the absence of other evidence against them, when in the real-world 81 percent of people who falsely confess and then plead "not guilty" are convicted (Costanzo, Shaked-Schroer, and Vinson 243-4).

Sources
Blandon-Gitlin, Iris, Katheryn Sperry, and Richard Leo. "Jurors believe interrogation tactics are not likely to elicit false confessions: Will expert witness testimony inform them otherwise?." Psychology, Crime & Law 17, no. 3 (2011): 239-260.

Costanzo, Mark, Netta Shaked‐Schroer, and Katherine Vinson. "Juror Beliefs About Police Interrogations, False Confessions, and Expert Testimony." Journal of Empirical Legal Studies 7, no. 2 (2010): 231-247.

Kassin, Saul M. "False Confessions: Causes, Consequences, and Implications for Reform." Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences 1, no. 1 (2014): 112-121.

Perillo, Jennifer T., and Saul M. Kassin. "Inside Interrogation: The Lie, the Bluff, and False Confessions." Law and Human Behavior 35, no. 4 (2011): 327-337.

Redlich, Allison D., Alicia Summers, and Steven Hoover. "Self-Reported False Confessions and False Guilty Pleas among Offenders with Mental Illness." Law and Human Behavior 34, no. 1 (2010): 79-90.

@Krwiley60 wrote the following. I am unable to reply the usual way because the poster put his/her comment inside the text box of one of my comments and that makes it look like I said it. But I didn't!

Here are @Krwiley60's words.

"Because of the Laundries actions this past month, I am assuming that LE probably has their own suspicions that they are aiding and abetting BL. Getting bank records ( and phone records) of all parties involved is just part of gathering evidence, following leads or ruling them out. If LE suspects that you are committing a criminal offense (or offenses) or aiding someone who is, they can go to a judge and have them issue a warrant/subpoena based upon the evidence that they have collected. If the judge finds their evidence to be compelling enough, they will grant them a warrant; if they don’t, they won’t. This is not about government overreaching which you stated in your original post. It’s about finding evidence that could lead them to a wanted fugitive."

Maybe. I know how warrants are obtained. But I don't know that there's enough evidence against the Laundries to obtain one. The main thing we know they've done is not speak to LE. And that by itself won't (or shouldn't) result in a warrant. If it did, that would be overreach.

But the post I originally replied to thought the FBI should look into the bank accounts for the Laundries' extended family AND for their attorney. That's chilling. And definitely overreach IMO.

JMO

Burgess also mentioned that Laundrie continued to refer to Petito as his fiancée to police in the video despite the fact that her mother, Nichole Schmidt, told media outlets earlier in the saga that the pair had decided to hold off on getting married to travel.

"To Laundrie this is very, very important, and I think what sets into motion the final days for her," Burgess said of their engagement.
Brian Laundrie 'very much in control' of Gabby Petito during road trip, former FBI researcher says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor