Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought...
Could JP have threatened a lawsuit against the Laundries when they couldn't find Gabby and the Ls were not responding to their calls?
Could that have prompted the Ls to initially consult with their friend, the real estate attorney?

I am in no way blaming JP, the grieving father.
I think if he lost his temper during those attempts to talk to the Ls it is perfectly understandable.
JP said he left a lot of messages.

But why the Ls didn't return those calls, even to just say that they didn't know anything and to express concern, is what I find inexcusable.

I think MOO that the Laundries got more than just calls. They likely got text messages and the content probably made their blood run cold. It is very possible that they did not question BL about returning alone, and decided to let him get over the obvious break up with Gabby, believing she went to her family, and finding out she was missing was a shock. Or BL could have outright lied to them.
Before contacting her family, they probably questioned BL and the horror of the situation got them to call someone they knew who could advise them as they had no clue how to handle this. Not at all comforting and opening all kinds of consequences to call the Petito family snd tell them BL killed Gabby and left her there, if they found out. Or even that he just ditched her. If they had contacted LE with the information, the police would absolutely tell them not to make contact with Gabby’s family and to let the authorities take over.

The Laundries chose to hire an intermediary to advise them because they likely had no clue what to do. I would not. And when you hire an expert, it’s usually smart to do as told when you have no idea what to do.

I do not blame the families. Neither the Petitos nor the Laundries with confirmed info as of now. I do blame BL 100%

Brian Entin says this is “training & searching” (link to tweet here). My first thought is: training?! Training? Why in the actual you-know-what would they be conducting a training exercise in an area where they “think” a fugitive is located?! Unless…they don’t actually believe he is there…hmmmm. Interesting.

Just a thought...
Could JP have threatened a lawsuit against the Laundries when they couldn't find Gabby and the Ls were not responding to their calls?
I agree this could very likely have happened. However, the Petitos were calling to find BOTH Brian AND Gabby, at least initially. Why would the Laundries avoid a call like that unless they already knew about her death.

I agree this could very likely have happened. However, the Petitos were calling to find BOTH Brian AND Gabby, at least initially. Why would the Laundries avoid a call like that unless they already knew about her death.
Or perhaps BL told his parents that he and Gabby had a bad and final break up but left out the murder part?

The "training" part makes perfect sense to me. Why wouldn't that take any opportunity they have to train others to do the search work they are doing? You don't get to become an expert or even TRAINED on how to do the job without... training. So, imo, it is GREAT that others are learning to this type of work, while also seeing experts performing it.

Like a million from me too. I can't figure out how to answer a post from another thread so regarding the "don't talk to LE advice" I see from so many: if it's true that no one should talk to LE, then we have a completely broken system. If it's being suggested that LE can't be trusted to not get false confessions from people like it's a hobby of theirs, I could not disagree more. And from my perspective, if you are innocent you have nothing to worry about. Seriously. Nothing. Guilty people not only don't talk to LE *even with their lawyers present* like I suggested, but they RUN, which is what our dear BL did. Pointing to guilt, IMO.

Did BL run during the Utah traffic stop? Did he act like he didn't want to talk to the cops? No, he enjoyed his chit chat with the cops there in Utah... he was talkative, even. He volunteered information, he proudly showed them all the scratches that Gabby had inflicted upon him. He was happy to help. He didn't look overly upset, or like he didn't want to talk to the cops at all. He even laughed with the cops. When he thought they were scrutinizing his girlfriend, he was there for them.

JMO
It isn't just a matter of whether LE have ill intent (which some do, perhaps most do not. But there are plenty of examples of LE extracting false confessions, etc.), it is a matter of how your words will be presented and perceived in a court of law. There is a very good reason cops and lawyers tell you not to speak to LE, innocent or not. You'd be well advised to listen to them.

Every searcher out there likely has had a weapon, mace, bear spray, etc. You may not see them but they’re there no doubt. I can’t stress enough how dangerous it can be out there. JMO
You’re right…there’s no doubt that they’ve always had a weapon with them. However, I had not seen them walking around with long guns before. They could have always had them in their vehicle. I guess just to see them out walking with them was strange. JMO :)

MOO: Because the messages, texts, emails contained info that shocked them to the core, maybe? Like maybe they thought Gabby was home and fine like BL appeared to be. And the info that she was not really got to them do that they could not think straight and they called for help. Someone they knew experienced with such situations. For advice.

I think MOO that the Laundries got more than just calls. They likely got text messages and the content probably made their blood run cold. It is very possible that they did not question BL about returning alone, and decided to let him get over the obvious break up with Gabby, believing she went to her family, and finding out she was missing was a shock. Or BL could have outright lied to them.
Before contacting her family, they probably questioned BL and the horror of the situation got them to call someone they knew who could advise them as they had no clue how to handle this. Not at all comforting and opening all kinds of consequences to call the Petito family snd tell them BL killed Gabby and left her there, if they found out. Or even that he just ditched her. If they had contacted LE with the information, the police would absolutely tell them not to make contact with Gabby’s family and to let the authorities take over.

The Laundries chose to hire an intermediary to advise them because they likely had no clue what to do. I would not. And when you hire an expert, it’s usually smart to do as told when you have no idea what to do.

I do not blame the families. Neither the Petitos nor the Laundries with confirmed info as of now. I do blame BL 100%
I think this is about right. Guessing BL showed up with a story of breakup (or something similar) and the family likely planned a get-together to help him through it. At some point the texts came and they questioned him. Maybe his answers weren't great (I seriously doubt he confessed anything, but who knows) and the parents were left uncertain and suspicious. But you got it - they decided a lawyer was the right first step, and said lawyer told them to talk to no one.

Could this apply to the Laundries and Petitos? Torts intentional infliction of emotional distress
I don't think so.

These are the requirements to bring a claim:
  1. The defendant acts
  2. The defendant's conduct is outrageous
  3. The defendant acts for the purpose of causing the victim emotional distress so severe that it could be expected to adversely affect mental health
  4. The defendant's conduct causes such distress
It would probably stretch to omissions too, but I think this would definately fall at 2 and 3 and at 1, the Ps would need to prove that the L's knew anything. If they did know, it would fail at 2 because they were acting in accordance with legal advice and 3 because the purpose for with holding the information was not to cause distress. I would imagine it was to protect either B or themselves.

I would expect some clever lawyer would find a suitable jurisiction to file though as just filing may force a settlement - which is much cheaper than litigating. In my experience a civil litigation can easily cost each side 1-2 million dollars.

ETA link -https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/intentional_infliction_of_emotional_distress

Brian Entin says this is “training & searching” (link to tweet here). My first thought is: training?! Training? Why in the actual you-know-what would they be conducting a training exercise in an area where they “think” a fugitive is located?! Unless…they don’t actually believe he is there…hmmmm. Interesting.

@10ofRods made an excellent post about this, many threads ago. This type of thing is used by fire fighters, for example, to respond to a small forest fire as if it was huge, because that's really the only way to get actual experience.

I tend to think we have lost perspective, in this case - I'm sure the FBI has many more pressing issues and higher priority cases. Not every move LE makes is tied to BL.

I suppose that's why the actual messages would be important to see/hear. How was that alleged combined concern actually communicated. Was the message: "call me back or I'll break your neck". Was the message: 'Hey call me I've got something important to ask you about the kids". Y'know, whatever. It may make a huge difference.
And it was JP who called LE to conduct a wellness check at the Laundries' home.

MOO: Because the messages, texts, emails contained info that shocked them to the core, maybe? Like maybe they thought Gabby was home and fine like BL appeared to be. And the info that she was not really got to them do that they could not think straight and they called for help. Someone they knew experienced with such situations. For advice.
BL quit his job at Publix and then did nothing. In an economy where employers are struggling to get employees. GP was working 50 hours a week at Taco Bell. Motivated people do not idle their lives away living under the roofs of parents. It is the totality of everything that is known about BL that spurs the contempt for him. I live in a beach town in Florida so not super cheap, but 2 people working 40 hours a week can rent an apartment. Nobody here thinks all men are evil, but many, myself included, believe that BL is evil and for good reason. MOO.

From what I can gather, this trip was a dream come true for the couple and it was supported by both families. I think it could have been a great thing. They were young and didn’t have obligations and commitments. Once they got their own place, once they got career type jobs, it would have been difficult to have taken off the time, saved the money to do this. Right then , they had very few bills, and jobs that they could drop without any serious repercussions. Pick up at least where they left off. I think the timing was great b

The outcome was tragic but not because they ditched their jobs. They could not recognize how toxic they had become to each other, and that the relationship was in dangerous territory. That BL was capable of killing someone, killing Gabby because he got ticked off, if that did indeed happen, as it so appears. That he was such a person to just ditch Gabby like he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810