Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think perhaps Gabby was too afraid and too emotional to break up with him on the road, since no one else was around. To me, it’s more likely that she was willing to tough it out until they returned and she was closer to family or friends.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he told her he was leaving her when he took the flight back to Florida. It also wouldn’t be surprising if he took her van keys with him, because that’s the kind of guy he seems to be. Controlling and cruel. She might have wanted to be rid of him but perhaps not if it meant she would be stranded a half-continent away from a safety net.

She had known BL for a long time and even though things weren’t good she probably didn’t expect the rage he was capable of.

JMO, MOO etc.
I have pondered this alot in the past. However, she launched her Nomadic Static site on Aug 19, while BL had already returned to FL. I don't think she would have continued to pursue the blog channel if they were breaking up just MMO.
Gabby Petito case: Timeline of travel blogger's disappearance

I think perhaps Gabby was too afraid and too emotional to break up with him on the road, since no one else was around. To me, it’s more likely that she was willing to tough it out until they returned and she was closer to family or friends.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he told her he was leaving her when he took the flight back to Florida. It also wouldn’t be surprising if he took her van keys with him, because that’s the kind of guy he seems to be. Controlling and cruel. She might have wanted to be rid of him but perhaps not if it meant she would be stranded a half-continent away from a safety net.

She had known BL for a long time and even though things weren’t good she probably didn’t expect the rage he was capable of.

JMO, MOO etc.
I have pondered this alot in the past. However, she launched her Nomadic Static site on Aug 19, while BL had already returned to FL. I don't think she would have continued to pursue the blog channel if they were breaking up just MMO.
Gabby Petito case: Timeline of travel blogger's disappearance
They went to NY to attend GP's brother's high school graduation in June. That's all. They didn't "move to NY." It was a family visit

JMO
Awesome! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe BL was a POI at the time of the "welfare check."

JMO

MSM reported that BL was named a person of interest on September 15th.
Which is several days after the time of the welfare check (and Sept 15th happens to be the same day that the search warrant for the hard drive was signed).

Florida police on Sept. 15 named fugitive Brian Laundrie a person of interest in their investigation into the disappearance of his now-deceased fiancée, 22-year-old Gabby Petito.
Brian Laundrie search: What is a 'person of interest'?

Which is several days after the time of the welfare check.

Florida police on Sept. 15 named fugitive Brian Laundrie a person of interest in their investigation into the disappearance of his now-deceased fiancée, 22-year-old Gabby Petito.
POI has no legal bearing as a term.
I believe there was reason to suspect his involvement pre this announcement based upon
-her bank accounts being drained
- the record of the DV stop, even though no formal charges ensued.
- her property, van, which was also her home being present and recorded entry of Sept 1.

What is Reactive Abuse? Everything You Need to Know - YANA Mental Health
All things are not always equal.

Also, the flip side of your post is that we support the Laundries’ right to exercise their Constitutional rights and act by the letter of the law. Thereby must we not also support the same for the people protesting on the street outside their house?

JMO.

There's protest and then there's trespass, intimidation and breach of the peace. Should the neighbours of the Laundries be subjected to that?

POI has no legal bearing as a term.
I believe there was reason to suspect his involvement pre this announcement based upon
-her bank accounts being drained
- the record of the DV stop, even though no formal charges ensued.
- her property, van, which was also her home being present and recorded entry of Sept 1.

I was responding, with a date, to a post stating that OP didn't think BL was named as a POI prior to the welfare check.

There's protest and then there's trespass, intimidation and breach of the peace. Should the neighbours of the Laundries be subjected to that?
It's a volatile situation and LE needs to clear the protestors out of there. Can you imagine living in that neighborhood? I'd be livid that LE hasn't hustled them out of there by now. Ridiculous. We have one tragedy already, we don't need another one.

Amateur opinion and speculation

We don't know whether he was or not. We don't know how her family discovered the charges on her account amounting to $1000 or more on Aug 30.
If they were joint account holders it is likely they knew by Sept11.

Very unlikely IMO. IF they were joint account holders, why wouldn't they have looked up card activity when they couldn't reach GP in early Sept? Her mother says she was worried early on because she usually heard from GP almost daily. And IF they had checked and known the card was used in Illinois, 1400+ miles from where GP was supposed to be, why wait to call LE? Why claim (days later) they thought BL and GP were both missing presumably together if that wasn't what they thought?

I don't think it's possible to revise the timeline to make BL both a POI and a person missing along with GP. I also don't think GP's parents would have delayed calling LE if they had access to the account to track usage. I do think they added money-- they said they gave GP for various things as the trip progressed. But they couldn't track usage.

At any rate, LE didn't seem to think BL was a POI before the "welfare check." Edited to add: I see you say POI has no legal meaning. I think you are right but I believe you first used it in this discussion.

IMO

missing person is invariably an emergency. Time is of the essence.
ETA link and text
The Missing Endangered Persons Information Clearinghouse (MEPIC) operates in accordance Florida Statute 937.022.
Per statute, MEPIC may accept missing person's cases that meet the following criteria:
  • Any missing child who is seventeen (17) years of age or younger; or
  • Any missing adult who is between the ages of 18-25; or,
  • Any missing person 26 years of age or older who is suspected by law enforcement of being endangered or the victim of criminal activity.
Gabby was just 22. She fits the criteria for missing endangered.
MEPIC :: Case Criteria
Since NPPD didn't enter the Laundries home to look for GP do you think her parents have grounds for a civil lawsuit against them?

Which is several days after the time of the welfare check (and Sept 15th happens to be the same day that the search warrant for the hard drive was signed).

Thank you for the precise data!

It's a volatile situation and LE needs to clear the protestors out of there. Can you imagine living in that neighborhood? I'd be livid that LE hasn't hustled them out of there by now. Ridiculous. We have one tragedy already, we don't need another one.

Amateur opinion and speculation
LE should at least discourage trespassing on the Laundries property to place objects there. JMO

When Can Florida Police Conduct A Search Without A Warrant? | Miami Search Warrant Lawyers
I've already raised this point in prior posts. Emergency/Exigent Circumstances. Again, IMO, there was no probable cause. In hindsight, we know the emergency was real. From LE perspective, what was the justification? LE can't go around kicking in doors because an adult hasn't been in contact with family. GP did not have to be where the van was located. What was the emergency? MOO.
Even in exigent circumstances, searches without a warrant can be thrown out at trial. I think police knew the moment they were handed that attorney's card that this involved a serious crime and they decided not to risk it. jmo

I will always support the right to peacefully protest on public streets. I do not support trespassing on someone's private property to leave things with the sole purpose of intimidation or harassment, something I believe is happening at the Laundrie home today. IMO, those trespassing simply want attention and have become part of the problem, not the solution. And I have marched and protested in my time, including outside the home of someone ultimately found guilty of very serious crimes.

MOO.

ETA: I have faith that local LE will act accordingly.

Last edited:
Since NPPD didn't enter the Laundries home to look for GP do you think her parents have grounds for a civil lawsuit against them?
I wonder?
I had not actually been thinking along those lines.
There may well be a whole host of other anomalies associated with his flight such as level of surveillance, budget and manpower resources allocated etc..

My thinking is more about how to stop it happening again.

Ok, so looking a little into the reports you shared, they all have a priority level, most of them are priority 5. On a couple of occasions level 4 but nothing extraordinary. On the first report dated 10/09 15:58 it was a public service call from the house with a level 5 priority, however the next call that same day at 18:29 ( also a public service call) is a Priority Level 2… I’m not sure if I’m even reading this right and that means that that call was pretty serious. The only other time we see a Priority Level 2 call is on 09/17 at 18:47 when a call was placed to report Brian missing. Three calls were placed that day to LE BEFORE Brian was reported missing, all pretty regular “no action needed” level 5 calls. So to answer your question JMOO it seems like one of the calls on 09/10 was pretty important. If anyone understands these reports a heck of a lot better than me please correct me as my info is very amateur and based on looking through each report and specific days we know things happened, police visits, disturbance calls etc.
Oh this is MOST helpful insight! Thank you so much for figuring this part out. I had no idea about the levels. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead