Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OCT 17, 2021
North Port police pay visit to protestors outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house | Daily Mail Online

49290277-10101343-image-a-7_1634498369913.jpg
49290709-10101343-image-a-9_1634501200393.jpg

Protestors taunting the parents of Brian Laundrie - whose girlfriend was slain during a cross-country road trip - are being warned to keep their distance.

[...]

Marissa Zdazinsky (who goes by Molly Golightly on YouTube) approached the Laundrie family's home twice Sunday to leave pictures of Petito on the family's doorstep.

Police soon arrived to caution her, and instructed other protestors to stop using bullhorns to torment the couple.

[...]

@NuttMegg, remember Molly? Egads...
lol I think they call that "jumping the shark"

Well, you are right that public announcements may lag. But I don't think you are right that GP's parents had card access and knew BL used the cards in Illinois before calling LE. It also doesn't make sense her family thought both GP and BL were missing and tried to contact the Laundries on that basis if, in fact, they thought BL did something to GP. Just doesn't add up.
JMO
You made that point already.
The fact is that we are not privy to all the information given to LE in the course of reporting their daughter missing. The report itself is bare bones.
Gabby's mum was concerned about the texts she had received by of themselves did not amount to a possibility her daughter was endangered.
Add details of the missing funds, the report of the van being at his home and possibly many other details that we are not privy to ad she may well have been in a state of high alarm when she made her report which sprung him to the level of POI.
Her initial thoughts that both were possibly missing arose when she was unable to contact either by phone.

She stated in the video linked upthread earlier today that she knew in her heart her daughter was dead when she was informed the van was at the Laundrie house.
We do NOT know whether she received this information before or after LE conducted their 'welfare check' or whether she had conveyed these concerns to LE.
Just like we do not yet have the information about who or when the fraudulent use of her account was first red-flagged by authorities.

They didn't presume they were at the Laundrie residence. They were just trying to find out if the Laundries had heard from either GP or BL. By MyBelle

Your earlier post stayed that the police were sent to the Laundries residence by Gabbys father, to find out if the Laundries knew where BL and GP were. How does that translate into asking to speak to BL. That makes no sense. The police visit was either to find out where THEY were, or to question BL. It can't be both. IMO

I'm not sure why not?

Gabby was an officially reported missing person. No one knew where she was, obviously.

If any of the Laundries had any clues about her whereabouts, LE would have been very interested (whether she was at the residence or not), They. were. trying to find out as much as possible. I'll bet anything that Gabby's family had already described the van (for use in a cross country attempt to find the missing pair) but they may not have known the license plate number right away.

LE notice a similar looking vehicle in the Laundrie driveway but wait until the next day to retrieve it (to run the plates thoroughly, to get a judge's permission). Now they think they know where Gabby isn't. Social media is getting active. But LE already knows that the van traces back to Gabby Petito - the person whom they were called to find.

Now, I don't know about anyone else's jurisdictions, but in mine, if a person is missing and their actual automobile (registered to them) is found (off a cliff, by the side of a freeway, in someone's driveway), and the rightful owner doesn't come to the door to identify themselves and be entered in the DMV database to verify identity...the missing person's vehicle is going to be towed away.

As a clue in a missing person's case and because the rightful owner isn't available to stop that process.

Has there finally been a MSM report about this? MOO

Excuse me. It looks like you may have taken my post out of context by snipping just a tiny bit.

What I said was I thought it was unlikely GP's family knew the cards had been used in Illinois in late Aug/early Sept when GP was supposed to be out west. If, in fact, it was GP's card used had the parents known I thought they would not have waited until Sept 11 to call LE. So I don't think they had card access and/or were joint card holders so they couldn't check usage. But, of course, there's no MSM for my personal opinion :)

Again JMO

SB could very easily have let the protesters know that she had not lived there, if that is the case.

I wonder why he did not?
Residents committee, if there are such orgs in this art of US should also be making noise about the constant disruption, I think.

I agree. I edited my post above. I agree and this is why - though pure speculation:

"I thought GP's parents said in the interviews that GP lived with Laundrie parents. MOO Anyone recall or know if that's been linked?

Both could be true, of course - that they lived with both the parents and later in Venice.

There could have been a crossover where BL and GP stayed on at Wabasso (maybe Venice wasn't vacant) but moved there later for a few months. This would make their time at Venice even shorter. All MOO.

With all the talking SB seems to do, why would he never mention that GP did not live with the parents? MOO I find the whole secrecy situation so odd. JMO

I think it was not mentioned because there was an overlap and they probably were not in Venice for very long. MOO IMO JMO"

I think it wasn't mentioned bc they were at Wabasso with the parents for just as long if not longer than they were at Venice. MOO Pure Speculation. In other words, she "did" live with them, and so for our analysis, nothing changes. MOO

You made that point already.
The fact is that we are not privy to all the information given to LE in the course of reporting their daughter missing. The report itself is bare bones.
Gabby's mum was concerned about the texts she had received by of themselves did not amount to a possibility her daughter was endangered.
Add details of the missing funds, the report of the van being at his home and possibly many other details that we are not privy to ad she may well have been in a state of high alarm when she made her report which sprung him to the level of POI.
Her initial thoughts that both were possibly missing arose when she was unable to contact either by phone.

She stated in the video linked upthread earlier today that she knew in her heart her daughter was dead when she was informed the van was at the Laundrie house.
We do NOT know whether she received this information before or after LE conducted their 'welfare check' or whether she had conveyed these concerns to LE.
Just like we do not yet have the information about who or when the fraudulent use of her account was first red-flagged by authorities.
Interview with parents

Interviewer
Did you ever reach out to her and say "can you please help me find my daughter?"

Gabby's mum
Yes I reached out to her on Friday the 9th or the 10th I'm sorry. I texted her "I'm worried about the kids, I haven't heard from them" and I got nothing. Called left messages, got nothing.

Interviewer
She won't even call you back?

Gabby's mum
Nope.

Interviewer
And Joe you and Tara, you've reached out and they won't call you back?

Gabby's dad
We've called on the 10th, I can't tell you how many times. We sent text messages "We're worried", "we're calling the police". I mean if someone texted me that they're calling the police because they can't find my son, I'm gonna drop whatever I'm doing to call back. I guess it's evident how they run their household.

Step-mum
She knew her son was home that time when we were texting her. At that point we didn't know that he was home.

^^This was on the 10th, the same day they called LE. They DIDN'T know he was home and the van was there at that point.

Re bolded above: Would that then entitle The protesters to discovery thus forcing them to talk/divulge? Probably not but just thinking out loud. Wishful thinking!

No understanding of our legal processes?

More fun protesting? Some people like drama and hearing their own voices - out loud.

Random question: was the search warrant for the Laundrie house ever made public?

The substance of the warrant is public - but I think you're wanting the list of things discovered (the results). That is not public and I can't think of any place where it is public in a potential felony murder case.

Excuse me. It looks like you may have taken my post out of context by snipping just a tiny bit.

What I said was I thought it was unlikely GP's family knew the cards had been used in Illinois in late Aug/early Sept when GP was supposed to be out west. If, in fact, it was GP's card used had the parents known I thought they would not have waited until Sept 11 to call LE. So I don't think they had card access and/or were joint card holders so they couldn't check usage. But, of course, there's no MSM for my personal opinion :)

Again JMO
SB has stated it was GPs card. However, at the time the parents would have no indication it wasn’t Gabby that used it even if they were privy to her account activity IMO

According to BL's parents, he has now been alone in the wilderness for over a month.

Anyone else here watch History Channel's "Alone"? The premise is that survival experts are dropped off alone in a secluded location with only what gear they can carry with them, to see who can last longest at each location without outside assistance.

A few major differences between BL and the "Alone" contestants:
  • Motivation. $500k is a lot of money, but the arrest and trial that BL certainly knows is waiting for him if he's found is probably a greater motivating factor.
  • Food/supplies. While the "Alone" contestants are more restricted in what they can bring, BL may have brought a whole pack full of protein bars, firearms, solar-powered batteries, etc.
  • Outside help. Is BL receiving help from someone? No doubt that would increase the amount of time he'd be able to survive "on his own"
So, on to my observations about how "Alone" contestants handle the first month and beyond and what causes them to "tap out" (and may, at some point, cause BL to slip up or reveal himself as well if he is, indeed, living off the land somewhere on his own)
  • Accidents/injuries - These tend to happen when people are distracted, when they're using their gear improperly, and sometimes just by bad luck. Any sort of cut or burn could easily become infected; even something as small as a twisted ankle could severely hinder your ability to get yourself out of harm's way.
  • Illness - In general, the stress of being in such a survivalist situation would put an incredible strain on your body and its ability to fight off illness, as would the change from your normal diet. Mosquitoes carry all sorts of disease, and in a swampy area, it'd be difficult to remain dry... which brings me to...
  • Fire - Fire is incredibly important to survival -- to stay warm, to stay dry, to cook food, to boil water, to sanitize tools, etc. Twice in various seasons of "Alone," contestants who've lost their fire starter have tapped out, because without fire, wilderness survival is near impossible. And yet keeping a fire would also, in BL's case, be painting a bull's-eye on himself in a place like the Reserve that was closed to the public.
Right around the one-month mark, though, "Alone" becomes less about surviving in the wilderness and more about the mental challenge. Highly motivated contestants start tapping out because they just can't handle the homesickness, the lack of community and social connection in their isolated circumstances, or because the sheer amount of free time with little to do, no one to talk to, and nothing but your own thoughts to ruminate on. Often, contestants experience emotional breakdowns around this time because they just can't handle the solitude. They start examining the deeper questions of why they're there, what they're trying to accomplish, and if it's worth it; they either work through those issues or decide to be done and tap out.

(After that point in the show, for the contestants that can get past that mental hump, it seems a matter of keeping themselves from starvation and exposure, especially as most seasons start in autumn and by the end, they're deep in winter.)

BL, if he is out in the wilderness alone, is now at that one-month mark, and I can't imagine the sort of mental/emotional strain his own thoughts and memories and conscience would be putting him through at this point--24/7, with no one else to talk to or anything else to take his mind off of what he's done--especially if he's struggled with Anxiety in the past.

Because of that, if he is living off the land on his own somewhere, I think he'll slip up, and probably soon, whereas if he's being helped--if he's just sitting in a vacant condo somewhere, living off of DoorDash and escaping into books or movies or video games--I think he'd be able to ward off the stress of isolation significantly better and may not be found yet for some time.

BL follows RG on instagram who has some mad skills living off the land, growing and foraging for food. RG spent an entire year living in someone's backyard in Florida, in a shelter he built, growing food in the yard and foraging without buying any food. RG also advocates for dumpster diving. He posted on instagram on Sept 27, 2020 a picture of him and another guy sitting on the porch with $200 worth of food they acquired in about 15 minutes of dumpster diving.

I wouldn't be surprised if BL were camping out in a wooded area close to grocery stores that have accessible dumpsters. He could be relatively comfortable camping and fairly safe from being hunted by LE if he were in such a place because nobody would be looking for him there. If he grows out his hair to shoulder length and ties it in a ponytail, grows a full beard and wears a cap and sunglasses, he could ride a bicycle around and blend in with the many homeless people that live in FL and feel good about having a low carbon footprint. He can go to places that have wifi and surf the internet on a burner phone, and interact with strangers on social media using a throwaway account to counteract feeling isolated and alone. There are places that have outlets outside that he could use to charge his phone at night if he doesn't already have a solar powered charger. He could potentially go awhile living like that, having little to be concerned about.

ETA: I doubt BL has foraging skills, although he could forage a little, but probably not enough to sustain himself. That's why dumpster diving is his best bet for surviving as opposed to trying to 'live off the land.'

ETA (2): Keeping fire hidden from others might be a challenge, but maybe he could make a little rocket stove that only uses twigs to keep the fire and smoke to a minimum.

Last edited:
We don't know whether he was or not. We don't know how her family discovered the charges on her account amounting to $1000 or more on Aug 30.
If they were joint account holders it is likely they knew by Sept11.
ITA. I think those IL bank charges are one of the reasons why the parents were trying to get in touch with GP and BL. It may have triggered an overdraft notice.

When they got no response to their many attempts at contact, I think they shared it with LE when they filed the reports on Sept. 10 and Sept. 11. LE would have contacted the IL locations and pulled security video. The FBI got a GJ indictment by Sept. 22. I doubt they would have moved that quickly if her parents hadn't told them about it.

Again JMO
Certainly was not intentional. Here's your post in full:

Well, you are right that public announcements may lag. But I don't think you are right that GP's parents had card access and knew BL used the cards in Illinois before calling LE. It also doesn't make sense her family thought both GP and BL were missing and tried to contact the Laundries on that basis if, in fact, they thought BL did something to GP. Just doesn't add up.
JMO

I've been gone for a few days and I have long heard about Illinois but never posted about it. My question was a genuine one. Namely, whether there had been reports on it and now we could talk about it.

Nothing nefarious there. Promise.

Edit: And I snipped to that part bc with respect to the balance, I have no idea what convo you and the poster are engaged in. I was only seeking info on the one point.

ITA. I think those IL bank charges are one of the reasons why the parents were trying to get in touch with GP and BL. It may have triggered an overdraft notice.

When they got no response to their many attempts at contact, I think they shared it with LE when they filed the reports on Sept. 10 and Sept. 11. LE would have contacted the IL locations and pulled security video. The FBI got a GJ indictment by Sept. 22. I doubt they would have moved that quickly if her parents hadn't told them about it.
Why would the parents get an overdraft notice for Gabby's account?

You can transfer money into someone's account but still not have access to that account.

I think it's likely too.

SB has stated it was GPs card. However, at the time the parents would have no indication it wasn’t Gabby that used it even if they were privy to her account activity IMO

SB said that quite recently. Not back in mid-Sept.

My point though was if the parents could check card activity, they would have when they couldn't reach GP and were worried. Seeing the card used in Illinois when GP was supposed to be in Wyoming (or in at least that general area) would have been a red flag. I agree they wouldn't have known BL used it. But if it was used 1400+ miles from where GP was supposed to be that would be a big deal! They would have called LE then IMO. Not diddled around trying to give GP "space" for her journey and then eventually trying to call the Laundries. So I have to conclude they didn't know about the Illinois usage until later. Since they aren't stupid, I have to think they'd have checked card activity if they could have.

JMO

I've watched every season of Alone and I've thought a lot about BL in that context. I don't think he has either the mental fortitude or the physical survival skills to last more than 2-3 weeks in a total "Alone" situation. The participants on Alone have families, friends, entire towns cheering them on and supporting them. They prepared for months, sometimes years, just for this experience. They have thought about exactly what tools and supplies to bring with them. They have a medical team that checks on them periodically, providing some level of human contact. They also know there is an end point. They just have to last longer than everyone else. And they still struggle mightily.

BL has none of that. He's a guy who drives around in a van from one place to another and hikes on marked trails. Has a steady supply of water and food he does not have to procure for himself. He uses $ for that. He doesn't have to build a shelter that withstands the worst of the weather. He just crawls into a cozy van. He has no experience whatsoever surviving alone in the wilderness.

Great show. If you like a side of drama with your survival show binge, Naked and Afraid is pretty good, too. imo

But...he could find a way to replicate a similar lifestyle. Having Instacart come up to the door, waving "hi" from a distance to a neighbor. No one is saying he's out in the wilderness. He could do what the Mountain Man of Utah (and many others have done) and go start preparing for a cold winter in someone's cabin (in a cluster of cabins). Change his appearance. Get a dog. Or two. No one needs whole towns to cheer them on to be alone in the wilderness. There are all these Mountain Men who aren't criminals who also live alone in the wilderness (moving almost constantly). One of them (McCandless) was a hero of Brian's.

If Brian wants any form of medical care, though, he needs a fake ID. I think his family and their lawyer are not incapable of at least knowing how that works (they don't have to do it themselves - and the lawyer can advise against it while still detailing exactly how to do it if his clients are smart enough to listen and read between the lines).

I have friends who have lived by themselves for 2 years now, occasionally phone call to someone, that's it. Mountain Man of Utah went 7 years alone. For obvious reasons, we don't know which living person holds the world record for this, but hermits are attested to in history (almost all had occasional casual contact with someone). Brian just needs to manage that contact. It could be a kind of game to him. Like Fight Club or something.

FBI could have traced it back and just not let anyone know and it's in their possession, assuming someone else had it. I remember hearing about it, never saw video though. any proof it was BL?
unknown - I havent heard a word about it after one news report

BL follows RG on instagram who has some mad skills living off the land, growing and foraging for food. RG spent an entire year living in someone's backyard in Florida, in a shelter he built, growing food in the yard and foraging without buying any food. RG also advocates for dumpster diving. He posted on instagram on Sept 27, 2020 a picture of him and another guy sitting on the porch with $200 worth of food they acquired in about 15 minutes of dumpster diving.

I wouldn't be surprised if BL were camping out in a wooded area close to grocery stores that have accessible dumpsters. He could be relatively comfortable camping and fairly safe from being hunted by LE if he were in such a place because nobody would be looking for him there. If he grows out his hair to shoulder length and ties it in a ponytail, grows a full beard and wears a cap and sunglasses, he could ride a bicycle around and blend in with the many homeless people that live in FL and feel good about having a low carbon footprint. He can go to places that have wifi and surf the internet on a burner phone, and interact with strangers on social media using a throwaway account to counteract feeling isolated and alone. There are places that have outlets outside that he could use to charge his phone at night if he doesn't already have a solar powered charger. He could potentially go awhile living like that, having little to be concerned about.

ETA: I doubt BL has foraging skills, although he could forage a little, but probably not enough to sustain himself. That's why dumpster diving is his best bet for surviving as opposed to trying to 'live off the land.'

ETA (2): Keeping fire hidden from others might be a challenge, but maybe he could make a little rocket stove that only uses twigs to keep the fire and smoke to a minimum.
BL doesn’t strike me as someone who has to work hard, he strikes me as someone who’s had everything handed to him. Someone who expects things to be handed to him.
Wherever he is, I highly doubt he is working hard to survive, I believe he has been put up in decent digs with easy access to a stream of money and resources, food, etc. All at the hands of his mommy and daddy.
MOO

4 weeks ago-their instagram came on live for 2-3 seconds…..boat window….boats in distance…..where is that info follow up ? very hard to navigate multiple threads on same subject….
I was of the understanding that that footage was not confirmed, and not legitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro