Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I think they might have an immunity deal. It would make sense. If so, they would have to testify if asked. But will there need to be any testimony? jmo
They could do a private funeral. A chance for his family yo say goodbye.
That's a personal preference. I don't do funerals and I hope that no one insists on one for me. jmo

Wow. While I think this whole case is horrible, to not hold a funeral for your son? I had thought the parents were cold, but this is ice.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are telling a little white lie to avoid protesters sussing out where the ceremony is, which I would certainly understand.

Thanks for your reply! Someone more knowledgable than me can probably speak to your question better than I can about defense lawyers' strategy in general IMO, but it's not uncommon for criminal lawyers to tell their clients to turn themselves in or plead to a lesser charge. Of course, that depends on how voluminous the evidence is. We don't know (& may never know), what the FBI had in terms of evidence, by the 12/13th of September. It could have been overwhelming, it could have been scant. I personally feel they had a lot of evidence (video, electronic, physical, & circumstantial). But, my comments about this, then & now, are admittedly 100% speculation.

I DO find it really interesting that, to date, SB has never offered a alternate version of the case. What are your thoughts on this? I'm asking genuinely.

SB has never said something like she was fine when Brian left; or she gave Brian her van because she decided to live off the land with some hippies she met in Wyoming, or whatnot. That alternate version of a case is something defense lawyers tend to start very, very early on in the media. SB has really mounted or asserted no kind of defense of BL that I'm aware of. I'm actually surprised by so many of SB 's comments, because he almost appears to be, at times, throwing BL under the bus. He's said in recent days that BL made things difficult for his parents; that nothing would surprise him about BL's notebook/this case; that BL was in distress & not in distress, & his dad couldn't stop him from leaving (a kind of private disclosure, imo, & also makes it difficult to understand how he's representing all clients equally). He even said the police did nothing wrong in this case, which I thought would have been an easy target for a defense lawyer--eg. he could have SO easily said LE had tunnel vision & hounded this young man & terrified him, & contributed to his death, etc.

Edit to add: thanks for replying to me. I am always paranoid about seeming snarky on here. But I appreciated your question because it helped me interrogate my thoughts. It's important to continually question what we (ie, me) think we (I) know. And I'm genuinely interested to hear your comments.

Well, what if SB had said something like, "she was fine when BL left," or "she gave Brian her van because she decided to live off the land with some hippies she met in Wyoming?" Then, what if after SB said that, a witness came forward who can prove that this statement was a lie? What happens to BL's chances of an effective defense at trial when the story the lawyer spread was proven to be a lie even before the guy was charged with a crime and before the trial?

It's better to wait until the charges are filed and then through the process of discovery, the lawyer can find out exactly what evidence the FBI (in this case) has against his client. After finding out what the evidence is, the lawyer can shape a defense around that.

ETA: I think that it was wise for SB to say that the police are not to blame at all. What good would it do to put blame on them? BL is deceased. If BL were alive, and facing charges and trial for murder, maybe it could be a strategy to put blame on the police. I don't see why it would, but I'm not a lawyer. lol

ETA: Also, I think lawyers are ethically not supposed to lie, so they have to work around what they know, discredit the prosecution's witnesses and question the reliability and authenticity of the evidence, all to show that there is reasonable doubt that their client committed the crime they have been charged with. At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

Last edited:
The area where BL's remains & personal items were found has alot of tall trees. Is it possible BL was holed up in a tree, a type of tree house heavily camouflaged, not easily visible from the ground or air? Safely above most wildlife. Possibly falling due to a storm. Braking his neck & other parts of the body? Or maybe he hanged himself...dying by self-inflicted ligature strangulation. Just speculating on possibilities. MOO.

The trees are big enough for a person to climb and sit in but there wouldn't be much else to do up there. Would be difficult to stay up there long term and I believe impossible to sleep. Also, the dogs would track your scent right to the tree.

upload_2021-10-24_0-55-50.png

The orange paint and flags that LE left are on flat ground near trees. These marks and flags are apparently where the remains and items were found.

upload_2021-10-24_1-5-5.pngGreen and Orange Flag
49554861-10124045-image-a-90_1635021742350.jpg

upload_2021-10-24_1-5-59.pngOrange Paint
49556983-10124045-Circles_of_orange_FBI_marker_paint_on_leaves_reveal_the_likely_s-a-76_1635028423191.jpg

But your idea is interesting.

Orange paint marks the swampy, desolate spot where Brian Laundrie's remains were found | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Trees are big enough for a person to climb and sit in but there wouldn't be much else to do up there. Would be difficult to stay up there long term and I believe impossible to sleep. Also, the dogs would track your scent right to the tree.

View attachment 318650

The orange paint and flags that LE left are on flat ground. These marks and flags are apparently where the remains and items were found.

View attachment 318651
View attachment 318652

But your idea is interesting.

Orange paint marks the swampy, desolate spot where Brian Laundrie's remains were found | Daily Mail Online
That last picture looks like the orange marks are in a rectangle. Wonder if BL had a tarp or something he was sleeping on.

Depends on what they find in it obviously. I imagine if any of it gets released that parts of it will be redacted.
Some of his drawings were disturbing.
MOO
Nobody's business what's in it unless it contains evidence of some sort..and evidence is needed to prove charges. But since he is dead, no charges. jmo

No matter what a family member of mine had done, I’d give them a funeral. Maybe not public, if there were extenuating circumstances, like this case is, but they still deserve a funeral.
I wonder if they are just saying that so they can have some privacy. It's kind of bad optics for them to suggest they're going to do nothing for their son, but it might be the best thing to say right now, on balance, given public sentiment & protesters apparently showing up for clout. (I do think BL killed Gabby. But I also believe his parents deserve to have a private rite of passage & ability to mourn for him.) JMO

Just rewatched GP on ID. Walsh was so wrong and so off it is disgraceful. There is no wonder why so many people ran with wild and unsubstantiated speculation. Pundits should at least phrase their opinions aa such instead of making gas lighting phrases. I've lost all respect.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are telling a little white lie to avoid protesters sussing out where the ceremony is, which I would certainly understand.
I agree. They'd be bonkers to admit to or publicize a funeral. I'm not a BL sympathizer in the least, just stating this as bald fact. Admitting they're having a funeral would only invite the people out there with the least generosity or compassion.

I wonder if they are just saying that so they can have some privacy. It's kind of bad optics for them to suggest they're going to do nothing for their son, but it might be the best thing to say right now, on balance, given public sentiment & protesters apparently showing up for clout. JMO

Did the L's comment to MSM about having/not having a funeral or did their attorney mention it? I can't see them releasing any specific information to the public. That would be asking for problems with protests, etc. IMO.

Whatever they decide to do, hold a funeral or not, that's their business. I certainly won't blame them if they wish to grieve and mourn the loss of their son in private. Everyone deserves a proper funeral or memorial.

personally I am flat out shocked that it’s apparently never occurred to him to take notes on these conversations, like every other lawyer in the world
It hurts my brain. In my psychological forensic/medico-legal setting, I take notes ALL day long about what my clients say to me, their mannerisms & affect, & what times notable events or reactions occur. Admittedly, there's no way, weeks to months later, I would recall everything absolutely perfectly, after so many clients. But not having at the very least notes on dates on hand is utterly inexcusable to me, when making public statements. Edited to add: We're required to keep these notes for 7 years at a minimum. And psychologists can be sanctioned for improper note keeping. I've been accused of hating SB over the last day or two. But I'm only holding him to the standards I maintain, & am professionally expected to maintain, on behalf of my clients. I don't even speak to the media, so this minimum expectation is even more important in that context. JMO.

Last edited:
I wonder if the suspicious person report filed on September 18 was actually Ethan Waters.

Ooh, good point. He doesn't look anything like BL, in my opinion, but he WAS hiding out in one of the huts at the park during the search. I remember some youtuber possibly spotted him at the hut while using Thermal IR equipment, thinking it might be BL. But still, it ended up being a fugitive anyway, so good on them!

It hurts my brain. In my psychological forensic/medico-legal setting, I take notes ALL day long about what my clients say to me, their mannerisms & affect, & what times notable events or reactions occur. Admittedly, there's no way, weeks to months later, I would recall everything absolutely perfectly, after so many clients. But not having, at the very least, notes on dates on hand is utterly inexcusable to me, when making public statements. I've been accused of hating SB over the last day or two. But I'm only holding him to the standards I maintain, & am professionally expected to maintain, on behalf of my clients. I don't even speak to the media, so this minimum expectation is even more important in that context. JMO.

I think a problem was not getting together in person. Didn't they do all their conversations over their cell phones? Wasn't there quite a distance between them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member