Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They knew all along that wasn't true though, because NPPD actually saw Brian leave on Monday.

"Those monitoring the home, where Laundrie lived with his parents, saw him leave in his Mustang on Sept. 13 and thought they saw him return Sept. 15, according to a report from WINK News in Fort Myers, which police confirmed to Telemundo in Tampa."

source: Florida police who were monitoring Brian Laundrie admit to mistake
At that point they believed they saw him return on Wednesday.
They were utterly shocked to be told on FRIDAY that he'd been missing since Tuesday.

They knew all along that wasn't true though, because NPPD actually saw Brian leave on Monday.

"Those monitoring the home, where Laundrie lived with his parents, saw him leave in his Mustang on Sept. 13 and thought they saw him return Sept. 15, according to a report from WINK News in Fort Myers, which police confirmed to Telemundo in Tampa."

source: Florida police who were monitoring Brian Laundrie admit to mistake

Gosh! I didn't know that. When JT said 'we missed him' he didn't mean that in a literal sense? ( I don't want to plough back through thread 79 to re-find link for that now)
So basically as a few posters said on the last thread, they're not good at maths. Who exited & how many returned later

I have a question, and there may be a simple no answer to this:

SB claims that he told FBI on September 13 that BL never came home from his hike and that the FBI has confirmed this conversation. NPPD claims that they did not know they BL was a missing person until Friday, September 17 when the missing persons report was filed. NPPD have also claimed that the FBI was working with them "hand in hand" for lack of a better phrase.

Has it ever confirmed been whether or why the FBI never told NPPD that BL didn't come home from his hike?
Wait, the FBI confirmed it? Do you have a link? I try very hard to stay on top but we're on thread 80 and I know there are things I may have missed.

Thanks for the welcome:D! I couldn't quite believe what I was reading when I saw it (actually can't believe a lot of what I am hearing coming from the lawyer:rolleyes:) as it clearly seems to give away something pretty crucial - that Brian DID tell them what happened, and that Bertolino and the Laundries think that somehow means he is less culpable??? I struggle to see how anyone who does not have completely misogynistic way of thinking would think that strangling a woman to death was somehow explainable when she has to be 1/2 as strong as he was, but there you are. I don't see how Gabby could do anything more than give him a good scratch - which she seemed to have done - I assumed fighting back when he grabbed her head, as she told the Utah police? I could never work out that they never even seemed to question Brian about this 'head grabbing', a strong person could really scare someone by squeezing on their skull by their temples, without leaving any bruises as there is no muscle or blood vessels there, and the person might say no one would believe you as there were no marks. Especially with Gabby having OCD and anxiety issues, I wonder if Brian played on that, and told her people would not believe her because of that? I wondered if that kind of thing had been going on for years maybe, and the Laundries knew Brian could be abusive, but did nothing to stop him:(.

Gabby said he squeezed her face... it's on the moab le cam's.

Last edited:
as it clearly seems to give away something pretty crucial - that Brian DID tell them what happened, and that Bertolino and the Laundries think that somehow means he is less culpable???
I’ve had this thought as well, and am wondering if there will be a point in time in which some clear statement is made…

See that timing doesn't make sense. The mustang was in the driveway on the 14th. When Brian first made a run for it, SB stated that Brian had left on the 14th and the parents went out on the 15th to look for him, found the car, left it and then returned at some later point to pick it up.
Brian Laundrie timeline: Recapping search that led to human remains

Then Brian Entin said that's impossible, because when he got to the Laundrie home on 9/13 the mustang was missing. But when he returned on 9/14 the mustang was back. It was at that point that SB recanted and stated that Brian had left on 9/13 and the family had retrieved the car on 9/14.
Brian Laundrie was last seen on...

Now if NPPD is now stating that the car didn't return until 9/15, they are mistaken. The car was clearly back in the Laundrie driveway by 9/14.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1439593712271646721?lang=en

SB stated that the date discrepancies were corrected when FBI questioned dates L's reported and the evidence disputed those dates given.

Brian Laundrie’s family changes story on when they last saw him | KRON4

At that point they believed they saw him return on Wednesday.
They were utterly shocked to be told on FRIDAY that he'd been missing since Tuesday.

Yeah, NPPD was shocked due to their own mistake. NPPD knew Brian left on the 13th and the Laundries certainly never claimed he returned home. NPPD decided that on their own. That is 100% on NPPD.

See that timing doesn't make sense. The mustang was in the driveway on the 14th. When Brian first made a run for it, SB stated that Brian had left on the 14th and the parents went out on the 15th to look for him, found the car, left it and then returned at some later point to pick it up.

Then Brian Entin said that's impossible, because when he got to the Laundrie home on 9/13 the mustang was missing. But when he returned on 9/14 the mustang was back. It was at that point that SB recanted and stated that Brian had left on 9/13 and the family had retrieved the car on 9/14.

Now if NPPD is now stating that the car didn't return until 9/15, they are mistaken. The car was clearly back in the Laundrie driveway by 9/14.
NPPD would have been wise to use the FBI "we can neither confirm nor deny" playbook and avoided talking about specific dates and times and movements of people. NPPD statements have caused a lot of unnecessary confusion, imo.

It looks like they did, according to this article:

"North Port PD had cameras set up around the Laundrie family home but that strategy was not successful. Those who were watching the Laundrie house saw Brian leave in his grey Mustang. They then thought they saw him return days later, but they had mixed up Brian and his mom.

Taylor says North Port police began tracking Brian after his fiance’s, Gabby Petito, family reported her missing in the State of New York. They reported her missing on Saturday, September 11.

Police then watched him leave in his Mustang on Monday, September 13 and he returned on Wednesday, September 15."

North Port police admit to mistakes in Brian Laundrie investigation
That's...the opposite of things he's been saying this whole time, though! Like how, when BL was officially reported missing on 9/17, JT was all over the news outlets saying "We don't track citizens, we had no reason to watch him, he wasn't a suspect." And then, recently to Brian Entin, JT admitted that they "missed him leaving" the house (meaning BL). Do these people not realize that it's 2021 and we can go back and watch their previous interviews with different outlets and see with our own eyes and ears that they are telling a different story than the ones they told days and weeks ago?

There's only one explanation for all this contradiction: someone isnt telling the truth. Entin posted the video of the Mustang out of and back in the driveway. So that seems to be the version of the story that is the most reliable. Of course, we dont know when it actually left and return (time wise), nor who was driving. JMO

Furthermore, when the family saw NPPD claim that they knew precisely where Brian was they immediately asked, "where?"

Did they?

On my timeline, I have Sep 16 - NPPD states again that they “know where BL is at” (video) and it wasn't until the next evening when LE was at their house that the missing persons report was filed.

To me, that indicates that Bertolino (and the Laundries) all know what Brian's explanation for how Gabby died is and think it somehow lessens the gravity of what happened as regarding Brian's guilt. So are they going to do the right thing and share that information with the Pettito family?
Interesting perspective. It does seem like he's implying, only implying, that he got some version of a story from BL before BL took off and became deceased. Maybe a story in which he was the helpless victim and Gabby was some sort of aggressor. I wouldn't believe such a story if it ever comes out, but maybe that's the narrative SB is going for. It's still a horrible thing to say or imply about the dead girl though, IMO.

The tweet you linked shows the mustang not there...?

"A lot of people are asking about the Mustang in Brian Laundrie’s driveway. Police took something out of it Friday. We got into town Tuesday - and the Mustang was not there. This is video from 7pm Tuesday when the Dad was leaving. No mustang."

NPPD would have been wise to use the FBI "we can neither confirm nor deny" playbook and avoided talking about specific dates and times and movements of people. NPPD statements have caused a lot of unnecessary confusion, imo.

I only saw the Roberta excuse this morning while I was catching up on the news in thread 79. I was shocked they were claiming Roberta had been mistakenly identified for Brian

IMO would have been better if he'd just come clean & said something like ..... 'human error, officer tasked is undergoing retraining.' This just makes them look dishonest, even if it is true cause it sounds so incredible

Yeah, NPPD was shocked due to their own mistake. NPPD knew Brian left on the 13th and the Laundries certainly never claimed he returned home. NPPD decided that on their own. That is 100% on NPPD.
Do you believe NPPD are responsible for Gabby's death, for his parents lawyering up and refusing to o-operate with the investigation to the extent that Chief Garrison had to TWEET at SB in an effort to get his attention?

What should they have done? Arrested him without a warrant , evidence or information without informing his lawyer? On what grounds?
Their hands were tied, literally.
If he'd decided to do moon dances all over the street- they still had no grounds to arrest him.

The twitter source you cited does not agree with what you are saying. It specifically says the Mustang was gone on "Tuesday," which was September 14th. He then shows it was returned on Wednesday, the 15th.
Yup, got my dates off. Thanks! :)

@WFLAJB

Laundrie Family Attorney Steve Bertolino offered this response to Josh Taylor of
@NorthPortPolice
. Taylor told
@WFLA
the #BrianLaundrie #RobertaLaundrie mix-up was a “direct result of a lack of cooperation from the family early on in this investigation.” http://bit.ly/3vK8a4d

@annette_tv

From
#BrianLaundrie's attorney, Mr. Bertolino: "Everyone makes mistakes. But Brian and Roberta are not “built” the same...This is a tragedy for two families and any mistakes made by anyone or any entity involved should be acknowledged and used to train or educate others..."
@SNNTV
https://t.co/v1tXSmdvCG?amp=1

Attachments

• 49F57F13-5D4D-4D81-8091-D943262F5A58.jpeg
    49F57F13-5D4D-4D81-8091-D943262F5A58.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 44
  • D63A6C1B-B43A-449B-9B72-8828039C92F0.jpeg
    D63A6C1B-B43A-449B-9B72-8828039C92F0.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online