Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know how much money they had? They could have had $10,000 socked away after stimulus checks for two people, him getting unemployment plus teh extra $600 a month for a year or more and her working full time. They could have been living frugally because they had their money budgeted out to last them a while.

I think they liked sleeping in a tent, many people do, but what makes you think they couldn't sleep in the van? its long enough inside and we have only seen a few images of the interior so we don't know if it has a bed mode. In the picture I am linking its possible the cushion on top of those bins is doubled over. From the top of the bin to the top of the cushion it sure looks like twice the depth of the cushion. And the doors have those flip up tables built in that could be used for the foot of a potential bed. Just unfold the cushion and you could have a full size bed.

But whether they had a bed inside the van or they slept in a tent, they were certainly traveling in a van and not living in houses or motels for at least 6 weeks, not counting whatever adventurers they got into on the way from Florida to NY. They were visiting national parks and who knows what else.

van-life-5.jpg

This is a very interesting conversation, to me anyway.
Think you're both right in different ways.

They could have had more savings than we assumed
They could probably have slept in that van - it looks tight- but I suppose you could move out the boxes and squeeze two heads in that space. (GP must have, night of 12th)
They aspired to the van life experience & lots of wider goals
There does seem to be a tension between them taking an extended, summer, cross country trip vs the permanent van living portrayed in a film like ' nomad'
I think @Shellinaya 's point on facade or aspiration vs reality is a very fruitful one.

In the early 90s, I used to know quite a few people who lived in converted vans & buses, for years. Illegal in England outside of campsites, travelling back & forth across Europe, summer back in England, tying into event calendars ( festivals, protests, co-operatives etc) More Woodstock than VanLife TM.

Anyway, brings me to the question I've kept forgetting to ask. Was that their only tent? The one we see in the clips? It looks very flimsy but I can't see the brand & model? The only tents we've ever owned in the UK, are those which are totally waterproof and can withstand real wind force. I've never understood that tent, even taking into account US summer thru autumn weather.

Haven't seen the ABC special yet - not available in Europe yet. Looks good from that clip though

Anybody know how much a tent like theirs costs?

Last edited:
In nearly every image I've seen, GP is not wearing boots. BL could always have said that she was wearing flipflops. As they were outside the rear of the van when the Bethunes drove by, that wouldn't sound too unreasonable. If she had been wearing boots, and we know the temp. was dropping, why would she take them off and risk getting dirty feet before going into the tent? It doesn't make sense, but not much does with this case no matter what we're talking about.
Could her boots have been drying outside of their tent whenever the crime occurred?

This is a very interesting conversation, to me anyway.
Think you're both right in different ways.

They could have had more savings than we assumed
They could probably have slept in that van - it looks tight- but I suppose you could move out the boxes and squeeze two heads in that space. (GP must have, night of 12th)
They aspired to the van life experience & lots of wider goals
There does seem to be a tension between them taking an extended, summer, cross country trip vs the permanent van living portrayed in a film like ' nomad'
I think @Shellinaya 's point on facade or aspiration vs reality is a very fruitful one.

In the early 90s, I used to know quite a few people who lived in converted vans & buses, for years. Illegal in England outside of campsites, travelling back & forth across Europe, summer back in England, tying into event calendars ( festivals, protests, co-operatives etc) More Woodstock than VanLife TM.

Anyway, brings me to the question I've kept forgetting to ask. Was that their only tent? The one we see in the clips? It looks very flimsy but I can't see the brand & model? The only tents we've ever owned in the UK, are those which are totally waterproof and can withstand real wind force. I've never understood that tent, even taking into account US summer thru autumn weather.

Haven't seen the ABC special yet - not available in Europe yet. Looks good from that clip though

Anybody know how much a tent like theirs costs?

Looks like this one from Walmart for $28.70 USD

Ozark Trail 3-Person Camping Dome Tent - Walmart.com

The article says they aren't sure who removed his account. I wonder if Instagram can remove accounts or if someone (like maybe family) would have to log in to deactivate it? IMO.

I believe that once there's confirmation/proof that an account holder has died, the family can request that their social media platforms are disabled and/or deleted.

It's hard to do without proof of death, ie: a death certificate.

The Laundries appear to be exceptionally private people, so it has probably been very uncomfortable for them having BL's social media rifled through by armchair analysts and nosy members of the public picking over it like vultures, but their hands were effectively tied, as up until they found and identified his remains, he was simply missing/on the run.

I imagine as soon as they were legally able to, they took the opportunity to close down any of his social media.

MOO

Could her boots have been drying outside of their tent whenever the crime occurred?

Anything is possible, but she didn't make a habit of wearing hiking shoes/boot. We don't even know for certain that there was a tent. Her step-dad told Dr Phil, 'Her body was found — I guess it would be in front of a tent, if that's what was there — or just in front of the fire ring... there was definitely a fire ring there.'

In nearly every image I've seen, GP is not wearing boots. BL could always have said that she was wearing flipflops. As they were outside the rear of the van when the Bethunes drove by, that wouldn't sound too unreasonable. If she had been wearing boots, and we know the temp. was dropping, why would she take them off and risk getting dirty feet before going into the tent? It doesn't make sense, but not much does with this case no matter what we're talking about.
I think people are misusing the term "boots" in this case. All the known pictures and video of Gabby show her wearing "Hiking Shoes"
Depends on ones definition of "boots" I guess

Thank you very much for finding it
what's your feeling on its suitability for outdoor camping in USA ( as per the states in the their route) June through to November? ( I only know UK weather )
Not OP but I would say that tent would work in many places here in the US during all but winter season unless you're using it in the southern US where there isn't a real winter like there is in the northern states.

Not OP but I would say that tent would work in many places here in the US during all but winter season unless you're using it in the southern US where there isn't a real winter like there is in the northern states.

thanks

how do you feel about the top sheet - the fly sheet which only comes part way down? ( Thinking of wind during rain)
Have only seen Gabby in the clip where she's talking about the wind buffeting it ( no rain) during the daytime

I think people are misusing the term "boots" in this case. All the known pictures and video of Gabby show her wearing "Hiking Shoes"
Depends on ones definition of "boots" I guess

I've seen both terms used in articles but I've just looked at some photos of her and agree that she's definitely wearing hiking shoes.

what's your feeling on its suitability for outdoor camping in USA ( as per the states in the their route) June through to November? ( I only know UK weather )
That is a very common type of tent. We had one for our children 20 years ago very similar to that. It's lightweight but not that flimsy actually. It has a wire or plastic frame inside to hold it up, and if the tent pegs are hammered into the ground it stays up well. I think our tent had an extra rain tarp that fitted over the top. In most of the U.S. it would be fine from spring to fall. But we do have heavy rain and wind storms at any time all over the country. Any tent might blow away.

The Grands use it for backyard fun and call it a 3-person tent because it takes 3 people to put it up. Watch Gabby video with the rain blowing in. We think of it as a play tent. Not really something I'd take cross country.

That is a very common type of tent. We had one for our children 20 years ago very similar to that. It's lightweight but not that flimsy actually. It has a wire or plastic frame inside to hold it up, and if the tent pegs are hammered into the ground it stays up well. I think our tent had an extra rain tarp that fitted over the top. In most of the U.S. it would be fine from spring to fall. But we do have heavy rain and wind storms at any time all over the country. Any tent might blow away.

Thanks.
Yes we have a few tents with connecting fiberglass rods & occasionally we'll leave a tent pitched through the winter or spring months, just cause we have some land here. ( guy ropes, full outer layers etc)
(That's despite days & months of driving rain in those seasons, high wind speeds and high gusts are normal.)

Just looking at our weather report for evening 31st Oct in my location - Wind speed average 20 mph, max gusts 60mph. 2.5mm rain.

They were planning to end their trip around now. He says on the MOAb bodycam :
washington ( woof-ing 3 weeks) & possibly oregon, then head on to California.
Have no idea of precipitation & wind predicts around Calif Aug - Oct,obviously it can't be anything like ours here. If it was, I wouldn't have bought that tent

@I'm Nobody I agree. This goes back to Shellinaya's original post.
Not convinced this was all thought through. Rather like under-estimating the problems of starting on a website en route.
Especially when you're on a 'get out of the wifi' trip. ( The slogan from the van life project)Lots of tensions

Last edited:
:confused:
Wow. BL "likely" died 2 days after Gabby was reported missing.
(rubs eyes with both fists)

Sept 13
-Sept 11
= 2
Lemme get this straight...
BL left home to go hiking on Sept 13.

So NPPD thinks BL died THE DAY he left home...
Have I got that right?

That, imo, is an extremely small window & makes me wonder what specifically makes them believe that.

Could this info be another damage control statement or do they know something very specific that they're dropping, as BE would say, nuggets about?

Cause that headline/statement could have easily been worded:

Northport Police say Laundry likely died the day he went missing.

I couldn't sleep so got up n I read this...
Its 2:46 am & this entire case tastes like word salad.

I'm goin bak to bed.
Maybe it’s to keep the focus on Gabby? jmo

BBM
I am curious to know what Gabby may have documented on her website since it is password protected and has never been publicly open.
We may never know this much less any more than we already know.
Is this the Nomadic Statik website you are referring too?

I worked in food and beverage service many times in my youth as a dishwasher, cook, bar back and emergency bartender. I despised the people who ate the meal then complained about it and wanted their money back. If its not what you ordered or its not cooked right, you say that upfront, not afterwards.

Judge Judy often uses an example of people who eat the steak, then complain it was lousy and want their money back- she says -- nope you don't get your money back- you ate the steak- if it wasn't any good you should have told the waitress before you ate it all!!!!

Last edited:

Attachments

• Artwork.JPG
    Artwork.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online