Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this as it relates to LE's initial approach to the Laundries. JMO

Adults have the right not to contact their families, friends, and spouses. LE has to make certain to the best of their ability that a missing person isn't running from the very people who are searching for them. Given Gabby's age and the fact that she had no children, job, or permanent residence she would be a prime candidate to fall off the map of her own accord. From what we know about Gabby now that seems very weird, but people honestly disappear themselves every day. The cops are aware of that, so I don't think their initial response is to approach the situation with the urgency we expect.

I believe it's more of "let's check out the situation" rather than "let's find this person now."

Last edited:
In interviews SB said he was talking to the FBI on the 12th and 13th of September. He became a part of the case at 11:30pm on September 11. For all we know he may have called the NPPD or FBI on Saturday night. There are just a lot of unknowns. But I have always been under the impression that the person LE is trying to talk to has to actually be the one to tell LE that they either want an attorney or have an attorney and will not talk to LE without the attorney. I've never been under the impression that the parents of the adult could do that in place of the adult unless they had the adult's POA. But I could be wrong. On the 13th SB mentioned to the FBI that BL had not come back from his hike. What we don't know is if SB told NPPD and the FBI that he was representing BL, although he may well have.

Seems like a lot in this case went down a lot more casually/informally than I would have thought.

The parents handed officers MrB card in the early evening (presumably when they wanted to check Gabby’s welfare) but MrB says he wasn’t engaged on their behalf until later that night. I would have thought that (after the 11:30pm chat with his clients) would be when MrB would have called NPPD and clearly said “The Laundrie family are my clients. If you have questions call ME.” But I was just wondering when andif that actually happened - that he told NPPD that he was representing the Laundries. They obviously figured it out but seems kinda weird that the L’s handed over a card for a lawyer that hadn’t yet been informed about something a lot more serious than a big juicer deal or a house they wanted to flip.

The attorney I would use if I had to deal with police would accept a casual use of his business card - before advising me (for free) whether I should seek other representation. In the meantime, I'd be interviewing representation if I thought I needed it.

No one has to have an actual attorney already on retainer in order to use their 5th amendment rights. And all criminal defense attorneys know this and deal with...complicated...situations, every day.

If the police are at my door, I'm not going to say, "Wait a sec while I call my attorney" (knowing that LE will try to overhear everything I'm saying). I'm just going to say, "Speak to my attorney."

By the next morning, my attorney either will or won't have responded. If he decides not to respond (having handled prior cases for me) and offers no advice to me whatsoever, I'll be submitting the next name to LE until it all works out. Because we all have the right to an attorney before we talk to the police.

They obviously figured it out but seems kinda weird that the L’s handed over a card for a lawyer that hadn’t yet been informed about something a lot more serious than a big juicer deal or a house they wanted to flip.

Good post. And that's the million-dollar question. Did they know how serious it was, or did they just always call their lawyer if it was something dealing with the law?

Good post. And that's the million-dollar question. Did they know how serious it was, or did they just always call their lawyer if it was something dealing with the law?

Brian had been home for 10 days without Gabby but with her van. Her family had been concerned about her (and Brian) and had tried to make contact. When NPPD showed up looking after Gabby’s welfare (presumably unannounced?) I have to think the L’s HAD to put a few things together well enough to know that something very serious was going on. If not….then I’m gonna have to go with an opinion that “These are some clueless people.”

I would love to know what transpired in that living room over the next few hours….

MOO, they didn't deal with "the law" often or ever. They already knew there was serious trouble brewing because they were uncomfortable with BL's lame excuses or he actually gave them some inkling of what happened (if not the whole story), so that when the police showed up, they were not surprised but they were scared and had an "oh , this is going to be a MAJOR problem," moment. They knew that they needed legal advice and assistance.

I'm also not sure I believe that they hadn't talked with SB before that night. He's certainly been wrong about other dates. MOO.

MOO, they didn't deal with "the law" often or ever. They already knew there was serious trouble brewing because they were uncomfortable with BL's lame excuses or he actually gave them some inkling of what happened (if not the whole story), so that when the police showed up, they were not surprised but they were scared and had an "oh ****, this is going to be a MAJOR problem," moment. They knew that they needed legal advice and assistance.

I'm also not sure I believe that they hadn't talked with SB before that night. He's certainly been wrong about other dates. MOO

Building mine.

Thanks for the reminder of that possibility - it would make some sense if everyone already knew that eventually people would come looking for Gabby….

Brian had been home for 10 days without Gabby but with her van. Her family had been concerned about her (and Brian) and had tried to make contact. When NPPD showed up looking after Gabby’s welfare (presumably unannounced?) I have to think the L’s HAD to put a few things together well enough to know that something very serious was going on. If not….then I’m gonna have to go with an opinion that “These are some clueless people.”

I would love to know what transpired in that living room over the next few hours….
Plus Gabby's father had already texted them that he was going to call the police. In my opinion, they had received that text and were aware of her family's efforts to contact them. I believe they knew a lot before the police came knocking, as evidenced by their seemingly unabashed reaction. MOO

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it had to start dawning on them at some point, I'm just no longer sure when. The thing that's throwing me off is the time frame.

Okay. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about the time frame. I'm 100% serious. I am honestly trying to figure this out.

Brian had been home for approximately 10 days then everything seemed to happen at once, between the 10th and the 13th. During that short timeframe, we have the phone calls from Gabby's parents, Gabby is reported missing, the cops show up at the Laundries, the Laundries hire a lawyer, the van is towed, and Brian is seen alive for the last time. Now LE is saying he probably died shortly after he left his parent's house. Did all this happen in a little over 72 hours, after him being home for 10 days?

Looking at that, IMO, Brian's lies to everyone including his parents were falling apart.

I'll probably never know who knew what when, but when a couple calls off an engagement vs postpones a wedding, something is wrong. As a parent, I'd want to know why are you calling off the engagement. Being young as a reason to call off vs postpone doesn't work for me. Some signs of trouble had to be present before this van trip.

MOO

Last edited:
JB Biunno
@WFLAJB

·
Nov 5

(4/4) As we discussed in the attached livestream, there's still a staggering number of questions that remain unanswered with #GabbyPetito #BrianLaundrie. The moment we have something to share, we're back live on #WFLANow across all platforms. https://youtu.be/aAWm84cdoE8 #HeyJB
@WFLA

youtube.com
WFLA Now: When Will Answers Come in Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie's...
GABBY PETITO, BRIAN LAUNDRIE QUESTIONS REMAIN: The day after the FBI confirmed Brian Laundrie was found deceased at the Carlton Reserve, questions from the p...
Show this thread
JB Biunno
@WFLAJB

·
Nov 5

(3/4) Could a similar announcement happen in Florida with #BrianLaundrie's autopsy?
@WFLA
has been trying to find out, but remember, it's entirely *possible* the forensic examiners looking at the skeletal remains haven't definitively determined a cause of death at this time.
Show this thread
JB Biunno
@WFLAJB

·
Nov 5

(2/4) Worth noting, that's what we were told when #GabbyPetito's remains were found... until suddenly, out of nowhere, the Teton County coroner announced a press conference to reveal Gabby's cause of death (even though it was part of the ongoing #BrianLaundrie investigation).

JB Biunno
@WFLAJB

·
Nov 5

(1/4) Friday thread on #BrianLaundrie and the question, will we ever learn the cause of death? The family attorney said the autopsy came back "inconclusive" but we're yet to hear anything official from the medical examiner.
@WFLA
's been told it's "part of an FBI Investigation."

Last edited:
I'll probably never know who knew what when, but when a couple calls off an engagement vs postpones a wedding, something is wrong. As a parent, I'd want to know why are you calling off the engagement. Being young doesn't work for me. Some signs had to be present before this van trip.

MOO

Calling off an engagement doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong in the DV / murder direction. I called off two engagements in my 20's--we simply realized we weren't right for each other. My parents weren't that concerned as they didn't like them anyway. . . .

The Laundries had to know something before the 11th. Their lawyer said in an interview that he talked to them between the 1st and 11th. Why would they need a lawyer before the 10th if BL made up a story as to why Gabby wasn't with him. Maybe to get Gabby's parents off their back, but I don't think so now.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it had to start dawning on them at some point, I'm just no longer sure when. The thing that's throwing me off is the time frame.

Okay. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about the time frame. I'm 100% serious. I am honestly trying to figure this out.

Brian had been home for approximately 10 days then everything seemed to happen at once, between the 10th and the 13th. During that short timeframe, we have the phone calls from Gabby's parents, Gabby is reported missing, the cops show up at the Laundries, the Laundries hire a lawyer, the van is towed, and Brian is seen alive for the last time. Now LE is saying he probably died shortly after he left his parent's house. Did all this happen in a little over 72 hours, after him being home for 10 days?

Looking at that, IMO, Brian's lies to everyone including his parents were falling apart.

If a person had a child (a son) who was grown up now...they might try not to ask so many questions about the break-ups and vagaries of that son's love life.

Further, if the parents felt the son wasn't reliable or ready for such a longterm, intense, interpersonal relationship, they might think, "Okay, good, he's separating from her."

And, if I may say so, this wouldn't be the first time in documented cases, that a family understood that a member was going to kill themselves and did less than some people might do...to prevent that. That's a theme in my own family's story. Families are not the internet. They have complex ways of dealing with crisis issues (with no crisis management teams).

The Laundries had to know something before the 11th. Their lawyer said in an interview that he talked to them between the 1st and 11th. Why would they need a lawyer before the 10th if BL made up a story as to why Gabby wasn't with him. Maybe to get Gabby's parents off their back, but I don't think so now.

What do you think they had to know?

I am quite certain that I do not know everything I should know. I do not know how anyone can measure what someone else has to know.

Anyway, what do you think they had to know and why do you think that?

I'll probably never know who knew what when, but when a couple calls off an engagement vs postpones a wedding, something is wrong. As a parent, I'd want to know why are you calling off the engagement. Being young as a reason to call off vs postpone doesn't work for me. Some signs of trouble had to be present before this van trip.

MOO

I'm laughing a little. If you were my parent, I would make sure you knew nothing - because no, once I turned 18, my parents had no right to know anything about m love life/sex life.

At any rate, I always took the view that my love life was not subject to such scrutiny from my parents. Are parents truly even more up in their kids' business than in the 1970's? We were not having it, back then.

Of course there were "signs of trouble" (when aren't there? the totally perfect-seeming relationship is often an expression of a dual project in perfectionism).

The question is, how do the various participants act and why?

People call off engagements for all kinds of reasons (if you want, I'll list them - as long as the mods allow). But it is no one else's business and it's rare that the parents (in particular) know why.

All of these questions are relevant to me, as an adult who actually works with young people outside of a family structure and does constant research on what these structures look like.

World is changing rapidly.

Last edited:
What do you think they had to know?

I am quite certain that I do not know everything I should know. I do not know how anyone can measure what someone else has to know.

Anyway, what do you think they had to know and why do you think that?

I'm laughing a little. If you were my parent, I would make sure you knew nothing - because no, once I turned 18, my parents had no right to know anything about m love life/sex life.

At any rate, I always took the view that my love life was not subject to such scrutiny from my parents. Are parents truly even more up in their kids' business than in the 1970's? We were not having it, back then.

Of course there were "signs of trouble" (when aren't there? the totally perfect-seeming relationship is often an expression of a dual project in perfectionism).

The question is, how do the various participants act and why?

People call off engagements for all kinds of reasons (if you want, I'll list them - as long as the mods allow). But it is no one else's business and it's rare that the parents (in particular) know why.

All of these questions are relevant to me, as an adult who actually works with young people outside of a family structure and does constant research on what these structures look like.

World is changing rapidly.
Well, mothers and daughters, parents paying for a wedding, different strokes/different folks. And yes, times are changing often too fast for me. You made me smile. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces