Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with you. I think you have a highly anxious girl and laid back guy who wanted a cool travel experience together. Living together is hard, worse when it’s less than 100 sq feet. There was no plan here. He’s flying blind and freaking out. Whatever happened was not planned
Didn't he tell the cops in the cam that he also suffered from anxiety? I don't see a guy purposely speeding at 3X the limit and trying to evade the cops as being "laid back".

Briefly
1.) HS
2.) 2-2.5 years
3.) All we know is they both worked at Publix and his parents JuiceBar Co.
4.) We don't know but Gabby had a Nissan Sentra prior to the van
5.) There was one previous road trip last year.
6.) There is one friend of Gabby's and BL's sister reporting there was a history.

thank you!!

So he got there on the first, was last seen (according to parents - so that’s tentative) on Tuesday, and protesters show up on Friday and he’s not there.

So he would have left between the 14th and the 17th if his parents are honest, and between the 1st and the 17th if they aren’t. Good grief… How far can he go in 3 days, especially if he’s hitchhiking? Or does he have access to a vehicle of his own?

We’ve got Gabby missing and then Brian just walks off after being dead silent about it? I can’t even anymore.

He’s not mysterious or cunning, he’s bizarre and obnoxious. And needs to say where he last saw Gabby.

I just had a random thought. Stick with me for a moment.
Gabby’s last IG post says “Happy Halloween”
There’s been feelings that Brian changed Gabby’s IG captions
The original travel plans were to travel until Halloween.
What if after Brian did something to Gabby he changed that caption to “Happy Halloween” signifying that now it’s all over. Eerie and dark-but honestly does seem in-line with his interests.
Just a random thought that I had & I couldn’t not share it.

What if your 24 year old unexpectedly returned, alone, from a long-term trip. Without his fiancee, who had been living in your own house. You wouldn't ask him any questions? Just resume taking care of his shelter, food, and daily needs? At the very least they should be detailing exactly what questions they asked, and exactly what he answered. This idea that they received no info from their son doesn't make sense.
Personally I'd have an issue if my 24 year old was still living in my house at will (meaning with no concrete plan).

Camping in vans is inherently dangerous. It is only one step up from sleeping in a tent, where one is terribly vulnerable to all kinds of dangers--two-legged and four-legged. A van provides much less protection than sleeping behind the locked doors of a home. There is no bathroom-so if you have to go in the night, you have to exit the van. Anyone can walk right up on you in a van and you wont know it if you are asleep.
This is simply false. It does not provide much less protection. Vans have doors that lock just as homes do. Additionally, many vans have bathrooms or other alternatives. It could be argued that you can hear intrusion better in a van than in a large home. Someone can walk right up to your home and you wont know it if you are asleep either.

See my map in post #690 - it is about 5 miles.

Thank you, so definitely walkable then.

I think he has to have been gone from his parent's house for a few days now. I don't see him being able to leave there undetected the past 48hrs with all the attention focused on the house and the growing crowd outside.

If he took food with him in a backpack that has to be running low now, and he doesn't strike me as outdoorsy enough to be able to hunt or fish for food, so he will have to break cover at some point for resources.

That being said, it is my theory that he's taken himself to that location to take his own life. This is MOO.

A lot of people who live in vans have bathroom provisions in them, so you don't have to leave at night necessarily. And the van can also drive away if there is danger, unlike a house.
People who want more info about what this lifestyle is like should watch the movie “Nomadland.” It’s a beautiful and haunting depiction of it.

DL would be putting a lot of people at risk if he was taking hikes barefoot. The odds of having some kind of foot accident are extremely high. Twisted ankle, bee sting, puncture wound, snake bite, fall, trip, foot fatigue.... If DL hiked like that and had a problem, he would require help with exiting the trail, including perhaps SAR and LE. This takes MANY people and puts them all at risk.
Consider this: If you can't hike out, you have to be carried or airlifted. And if you're 150 lbs? How many people does that involve, just to do the lifting, and then to swap out as folks get tired? Consider the expense of all that, too. How many personnel does it take to get a helicopter off the ground, find a good landing spot, train the skills necessary to winch someone up....?

Experience tip: NEVER hike barefoot. NEVER go hanging out barefoot in the backcountry. Even water is a safe place because there can be unseen obstacles and you have no grip. That's why kayakers and rafters wear water shoes. Same with canyoneers. Just don't.
Bottom line: when in the backcountry, do whatever you can to keep from creating a risk for others; that means fellow hikers and SAR. That means good footwear, water, emergency stuff, appropriate apparel.
IMO if someone is out there who has chosen to do something dangerous (like wearing no shoes or taking selfies on cliff edges), get as far away from them as you can, because they are threatening your safety.
It appears that we have some barefoot hiking fans here, but geez, there are parts of the country where I would not do it. It's a great way to get intestinal worms.

I wondered at that description "hiking bag and waist strap". Sounds like a fanny pack. I realize that larger packs also have waist straps.
I took it as a larger multi-day backpack, requiring the waist strap. That would stand out on a suburban street. Although people do it often when getting ready for backpacking.

That matter is not always straight forward. Anyway, he didn't have to have a firearm to get rid of her, and using it would have drawn attention. Cops would have known immediately upon checking his flight itin that he had carried a gun.
It is pretty straight forward, that's what reciprocity laws are for. He wouldn't be able to carry in places in those states where the laws say he can't, otherwise it would be just like him being a resident of that state with a permit.

I agree that he wouldn't have to have a gun to get rid of her as it would draw too much attention. In a rugged environment, he wouldn't need one. And the cops would definitely know right off the bat if he had flown with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills