Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The TikToker texted her mother to say they’d picked up a hitchhiker.

If this had been while Brian was still in the car - “Look, you seem like a cool guy, so don’t take this personal, but I promised my mom I’d always text her if I picked up a hitchhiker!” kind of thing - and he realises he can’t hijack the car and get away with it, because someone else now knows, that could have been what made him panic and bail.

If he potentially thought that, through his actions, those two people in the car would be unable to ever tell the police or anyone else what he had told them, he’d have no qualms telling them all about the van trip, the days-long hike, Snake River and Gabby being out there, because it would have been the last thing they ever heard.

I got the feeling with all his babbling ... two went hiking near snake river and only one returned.... I dont believe for one minute GP stayed at the van.... JMO

She wasn't hiding the fact that it was strange. She pointed out in the TikToks that Jackson Hole and Jackson are used interchangeably so they didn't understand why he freaked out when told Jackson Hole the second time. People here speculated that maybe he had the van parked near the dam and he just needed an excuse to get out of the van there.

I don't think the TikTok witness is lying but it's still very unclear whether it was him or mistaken identity.
No doubt they've already processed her Jeep for his fingerprints and/or anything possibly DNA related. They've likely reviewed any nearby traffic cameras too. That would verify his identity and location where they picked him up. The story he gave probably had some truth to it. Maybe his anxiety / nervousness kicked in when he realized where the van was, in relation to where they were headed.

I totally agree that the whole "no shoes" thing is handled weirdly. I mean, I never, ever wear hats. I just don't like them, never have. I don't wear them skiing, which is pretty unusual, and I don't wear baseball caps or straw hats to keep the sun off of my face and head. I just find them uncomfortable and unnecessary.

Above is literally the most I have ever said on the subject! I mean, every once in a while, people comment or offer me one or ask why I'm not wearing one, and I usually just say "nah, I'm fine, I don't really like hats. Thanks." I've never even really thought this much about it.

Why make such a big thing about being barefoot? I prefer wearing sneakers to hiking boots when I'm hiking even the most challenging terrain because I feel like I'm more agile when my ankles can move separately from my feet. Again, that is pretty much the most I've ever said about it.

The only thing I can think of is that he's just so boring and personality-less that he needs some defining feature so that he doesn't just feel like one in any old six-pack of people.

Very odd.
I think it was part of the image he was going for. Being one with nature, respecting the Earth, feeling a sense of freedom and mindfulness, etc. I don't really see it odd because it is a familiar concept in yoga, some spiritual practices, lovers of nature communities. I am not sure how authentic it was for him vs trying to create a persona/ image, though. MOO

ETA, HI! I didn't even realize I was replying to your comment.

Last edited:
My father suffers from bipolar disorder. He says there’s this thing called hypomania that is a common trait for bipolar disorder.

I reached out to my dad because I thought it was interesting that the cop asked Brian “are you always this hyper?” He definitely seems to be a bit bipolar, which would explain a lot to me. Maybe he’s aware of it, maybe he’s undiagnosed, I don’t know.

I’m not trying to diagnose him, and I obviously don’t think being bipolar makes you a bad person. But when left untreated and when you cram yourself into a van with someone else, all of these things come out eventually. Take it from me, I’m currently on month 7 of living in a van with my partner.

How can they legally even touch him if they find him? What has changed (with his legal status) since Gabby was declared missing on Sept 11?
My husband and I were just talking about this. Nothing has changed...unless his parents try to Baker Act him for his own protection. Even then, its a 72 hour hold. As far as is known, he's still lawyered up.

One thing that stood out on Gabby's Instagram posts was that BL liked EVERY post she made. Maybe thats not a huge surprise to some people because this generation of millennials is like that, but just saying.
Technically, they are Gen Z. Millennials, like myself, are well into our thirties. Just correcting because we get relentlessly mocked for everything, lol

Someone has put together a very sensible and plausible map/route for 26th to 29th, which fits our current “knowns” and Gabby’s previously logged hikes on her app. I’ve asked them for permission to share it here but in the meantime, you might find it in a Gabby discussion thread on another platform.

How can they legally even touch him if they find him? What has changed (with his legal status) since Gabby was declared missing on Sept 11?
Several threads back I believe someone said because he is now considered a missing person not just a POI it allows more freedoms to LE. Though it may have been in reference to investigation BL now. Trying to remember. It was really late last night for me, when I saw it.

I totally agree that the whole "no shoes" thing is handled weirdly. I mean, I never, ever wear hats. I just don't like them, never have. I don't wear them skiing, which is pretty unusual, and I don't wear baseball caps or straw hats to keep the sun off of my face and head. I just find them uncomfortable and unnecessary.

Above is literally the most I have ever said on the subject! I mean, every once in a while, people comment or offer me one or ask why I'm not wearing one, and I usually just say "nah, I'm fine, I don't really like hats. Thanks." I've never even really thought this much about it.

Why make such a big thing about being barefoot? I prefer wearing sneakers to hiking boots when I'm hiking even the most challenging terrain because I feel like I'm more agile when my ankles can move separately from my feet. Again, that is pretty much the most I've ever said about it.

The only thing I can think of is that he's just so boring and personality-less that he needs some defining feature so that he doesn't just feel like one in any old six-pack of people.

Very odd.

The hiking boots thing is ringing alarm bells in my head. This thread has been moving at lightning speed, but I mentioned a few pages back that I found it bizarre that GP should specifically comment on BL 'always hiking barefoot' when all it takes is a glance at his Instagram page to see that's not true. There are plenty of shots of him with hiking boots and socks on.

Also, the couple who picked him up as a hitchhiker in Colter Bay, stated he was wearing hiking boots again.

Maybe it was him trying to be unique and get a name for himself as part of this "influencer" status they were going for on social media with the blogs and vanlife etc?

Interesting though that he refused water from the police on the DV stop because he apparently was against plastic bottles. Was this him being savvy and ensuring they couldn't get his DNA?

Was his recent reluctance to wear hiking boots him thinking there would be less evidence in terms of identifiable boot prints?

I tend to think he was just trying to be quirky, but who knows with this strange case...

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member