Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew...first laid eyes on this thread two hours ago....new posts being added so fast I wasn't sure I would catch up tonight!

Like many here I have reached the conclusion that "something" has happened to Gabby - despite being a "free spirit" I find it impossible to believe she would not contact her family in the last 13 days, even if she had to borrow a cell phone. Should she turn up safe and sound I will happily eat crow.

I'm trying to sit on the fence...but lack of communication FROM her travelling companion TO her parents is causing me to work hard at keeping my balance on that narrow fence.

Hoping this Gabby's parent get answers VERY soon....the not knowing must be the worst kind of hell.

O/T and FYI, I'm having some issues posting, not sure if its me or the site but I seem to be addingother posts (including my own) when I reply to someone. I also have to delete at the bottom before posting. I want to apologize now. let's hope it works itself out. :rolleyes:

A friendly reminder of the link to Websleuths' Rules as well as to Social Media and Victim Friendliness policies. ICYMI, @Tiff23fr posted a couple of mod notes earlier in the thread.

Mod Reminder on Social Media Rules:
Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for..."
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).
  • Posts by an owner or admin of the above public social media pages may be linked, copied, quoted, or paraphrased. This refers primarily to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, announcements by law enforcement, the admin of an approved group support page (usually a page run by family)
  • NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...": If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.
Additionally, until there is a named POI, WS TOS is that we remain victim friendly. This means no casting accusations at the boyfriend at this time. The complete set of rules can be found here: RULES .

Mod Note:

Suggestions of a publicity stunt while someone is missing is not victim friendly. Until LE suggests otherwise, Gabby is missing and WS will treat the missing persons case with the care and compassion a missing person deserves. Posts suggesting this is a stunt or hoax have been removed.

New York woman, 22, who was traveling across country with boyfriend goes missing (nbcnews.com)
[...]

JP, her father, told Newsday Sunday that Gabrielle's disappearance felt like "drowning with your hands tied behind you."

"You can't describe it. There's nothing you can do. You can't control anything," he said.

Petito was traveling across the country in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, which police said since has been recovered. It was unclear where her vehicle was recovered.
——
Her dads’ interview seems to indicate to the reporter that it’s her van- IMO.

so would LE need a search warrant if her dad consented on her behalf? They would be able to look up the registration easily enough to find the owner.

now I'm curious if someone flew out to help him drive the van back to Florida?

Well, first off this scenario is literally nothing like the SH case.

The boyfriend didn't call authorities

3+ LE agencies are already on it

Those agencies are not USVI

Their entire trip was based on documentation which presents an incredibly large digital trail

I mean, these are just a few that come to mind but I see almost no similarities except a free spirited missing female and a male who's lawyered up not talking
I see some similarities.
Sarm's bf did not alert the other nearby boaters for help, waited 11 or 12 hrs to call authorities, kept his mouth shut thereafter, lawyered up, did not search for her, no pleas to locate her, then took off to parts unknown until he was found moored at another island as though nothing happened, leave me alone.

True the police there are iffy, but FBI did have some involvement.

She hasn't been found and likely never will be.

It doesn't happen very often, but it's possible they went separate ways and something happened to GB after that.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear more info.....

jmo
She most likely would have contacted her parents or a friend to alert them of her situation.She had been in contact with them during her trip. Women tend to let others know of their whereabouts.

With no other reported facts released, this is just as possible as any other scenario.

Thank you for this. With so few facts the speculation, which will shortly be discussed as if it were fact, is already taking over. Let us keep in mind how little we know before we start dismissing and negatively judging others. IMO

shout out to @HolographicOne who said something similar and more eloquently but that I hadn't seen before I posted

Last edited:
O/T and FYI, I'm having some issues posting, not sure if its me or the site but I seem to be addingother posts (including my own) when I reply to someone. I also have to delete at the bottom before posting. I want to apologize now. let's hope it works itself out. :rolleyes:
I have done this twice tonight so it is not just you.

She most likely would have contacted her parents or a friend to alert them of her situation.She had been in contact with them during her trip. Women tend to let others know of their whereabouts.

Most of the time they do, but if she knew her parents or friends wouldn't like or agree with her decision she might not want to hear it or deal with it.

I'm not completely sold on this. I'm just tossing ideas around until we know more.

#MISSING UPDATE: "We have attempted to speak with Brian [Laundrie], so far his family has given us the number of their attorney."
North Port Police Department in Florida confirms the van Gabby Petito was travelling in with her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, was seized. The van was found at the home of Laundrie's parents.
However, they say no sign of Petito was found with either Laundrie or the van. It appears Laundrie returned to Florida without Petito.
Coming up at 10 p.m. Ashley Moser will have the full update and message from North Port Police to Laundrie.
North Port Police are assisting the Suffolk County Police Department in the investigation.

It's. still their joint transportation, referred to consistently as "their van" or "our van."

And if he thinks she took off with another dude, he ought to have still notified someone of this. Not just leave her (and take all of her stuff and the van they shared 3000. miles. away).

If he wanted sole possession of all her stuff, he needed to get some declaration from her that she was agreeable....

You really think it's okay to take joint property and convert it to one person's use, while denying someone the use of that property? I. don't think that's legal in Utah or Wyoming, thankfully.

SBM
Considering that the OP was suggesting maybe she took off on him, this response strikes me as expecting the bf to be especially disciplined and clear-headed in the face of that action. We all wish for such in these situations but most people just don't and wouldn't act in that way. I don't think its realistic to expect. It certainly doesn't dismiss OP's suggestion. People act stupidly all the time. It doesn't mean they are covering up bad behavior. IMO

Schmidt pointed to her daughter’s Instagram account with posts at Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Mystic Hot Springs in Monroe

But toward the end of August, the posts started slowing down.

Petito’s father, who lives in Florida, said the couple was in Salt Lake City on Aug. 21. He knows because he placed an Uber Eats order for them.

“There was a power outage. She said she didn’t have WiFi, so I ordered her some food,” Joseph Petito said. “I know it was in Salt Lake City. It was the last time I spoke to her.”

He said the couple didn’t have friends in Salt Lake City but wanted to spend time in the area.

Gabby Petito’s parents said the couple left Salt Lake City for Grand Teton National Park around Aug. 24, where they believe the couple spent no more than two days.

This was also around the last time Petito spoke with her mother over FaceTime.

“She seemed OK to me at the time, other than I don’t know where the relationship was going with the boyfriend,” said Schmidt of the couple possibly going through a rough patch.

Then the details get hazy as Petito’s parents say they’re not sure if she made it to her next destination.

“She was making her way up to Yellowstone,” Schmidt said explaining that after Aug. 24 her communication with Petito grew sporadic and happened only via text.

“The last text I got from her was on Aug. 30. I don’t know if that was her texting me or not,” Schmidt said.

Then Petito stopped responding all together. Schmidt said she initially figured the couple had lost internet reception but late last week, her mother knew something was off.

Authorities searching for missing 22-year-old woman last seen in SLC

Mom of missing Long Island woman: 'I believe she's going to come home'

Some things that stood out to me in this article:
•Gabby’s mom shared the couple had been living together for 2 1/2 yrs but would not confirm reports that the two were engaged.

•“I think she was the kind of person who was free,” Schmidt added. “She went where the day took her. She didn’t have a plan. This was a plan, but what was next, we don’t know.

•Schmidt’s husband, Joe Petito, also sent their daughter a personal message.
Gabby, we just want you to come home,” he said. “Call us. Let us know you’re OK. Come home, please.”

•During the press conference, both parents declined to comment on most questions from reporters — following a closed-door interview with a crew from “Inside Edition” at the Bohemia office of family attorney Richard Stafford.

Interesting tidbits you highlighted there. Hoping for the best here and having a hard time coming up with scenarios where that might be the case. But thinking off of some of those quotes I could envision some possibilities(though still unlikely) where she decided to go off intentionally on her own and go dark communicating for a period of time.

Most of the time they do, but if she knew her parents or friends wouldn't like or agree with her decision she might not want to hear it or deal with it.

I'm not completely sold on this. I'm just tossing ideas around until we know more.

During the press conference I'm pretty sure her stepfather said she was in "constant contact"
with her cousin. That's where I would start, and with the friends in Oregon. MOO

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I did a recent search for specific terms and couldn't find a reputable outlet that said BL was not cooperating. I think dailymail had a snippet about lack of cooperating and some social media discussion, but BL is almost absent in many of the articles.

All this to say, I still don't see an official LE statement saying that. Someone else posted it earlier.
Ok thanks.
I went back and re-read your post and the first sentence started with the speculation statement, I missed that.

The link I posted earlier seemed to indicate that LE said this ?
But lately in many cases they're hesitant to say this too early, especially if they want everyone to keep talking.
And we know for certain LE would like to locate Gabby safely.

Imo.

New York woman, 22, who was traveling across country with boyfriend goes missing (nbcnews.com)
[...]

JP, her father, told Newsday Sunday that Gabrielle's disappearance felt like "drowning with your hands tied behind you."

"You can't describe it. There's nothing you can do. You can't control anything," he said.

Petito was traveling across the country in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, which police said since has been recovered. It was unclear where her vehicle was recovered.
——
Her dads’ interview seems to indicate to the reporter that it’s her van- IMO.

so would LE need a search warrant if her dad consented on her behalf? They would be able to look up the registration easily enough to find the owner.

now I'm curious if someone flew out to help him drive the van back to Florida?
Evening North Port news report (live from in front of BL's parent's home) indicates that the vehicle was confiscated by police from this location sometime during the weekend. I think it follows that the vehicle was taken on Saturday -- just as GP was reported missing to police in Suffolk County on Saturday evening. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper