Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does the video of the vehicle look like its in the middle of a desert. Being air'd out ? I know MSM says they recovered it from BF's home but that pic kind of shocked me. IMO

I think the picture of the van in the desert is from the video GB and BL took and prior to GB being missing. I can't recall where they were at that point in the video, but it might be when they were in the Sand Dunes.

It looks like a drone was used to take the pic.

Here's their YouTube video:

That's what I keep reading/hearing on the reports that try to explain it (I'm contacting reporters and asking them to confirm). That she had a car, traded it in for the van.

I'm not happy either way (jointly owned or hers) if he took off and left her. If he was going to do that, he needed to do the smart thing and confer with both her and her parents. I wonder who is paying the insurance.

Of course, I'm looking at this as a grandma of two free-spirited youngsters who are about to be free-spirited young women.

If she decided to find "another way home" surely she would have alerted her parents, just in case she needed something along the way. I'm guessing we'll find that her ATM card has not been used, nor her CC's, nor her phone.

And I bet the time of the last phone call will be around August 25.
bbm
Yep.
I'd think at this time LE are scouring the digital trail ?
Imo.

Been going through her IG and found this. Having been to Delicate Arch twice this is NOT the safe side and yes its manageable but a 1000 foot drop is right behind BL. I also saw in the video where during the last trip to the west coast he was navigating a rocky shore cliff with little room for error. Was their "hiking/rock climbing" experience overrated? Neither seem to be tethered to reality very well. He seems to be one of those copy artists...who "borrow" styles as homage but then try to sell little prints 'n stuff.

Login • Instagram
I don't really believe 22/23 year olds can call themselves "very experienced hikers" and have such confidence as rock climbers, unless this is a ongoing lifestyle. Living in Florida, I doubt they were in the rocky wilderness all that often.
I don't know, just my personal opinion....
The road trip they were doing though, exploring these beautiful sites, going on hikes, sure is something I would like to do myself more often than I have the opportunity to do.

I hope very much that there is some other explanation that brings Gabby safely home. Feeling heartsick for her parents.

^^bbm

I think the quotes are taken out of context and best to listen to the entire interview by mother and stepdad. For example, mother was responding to a reporter's question about what type of person GP was when she provided that GP was free-thinking and did not typically have a plan from day to day EXCEPT she actually had an itinerary for this van trip. Not a plan for day-to-day activities but an agenda of where they hoped to be and what they wanted to see.

GP was keeping in contact with both parents and even told her dad in advance when she believed she was going to be out of cell/wifi range.

GP never let more than a week go in between contact with her dad, and had for frequent contact with her mom.

I don't believe that GP would go dark and intentionally cause her family and friends to have grave worry and concern. MOO

I actually just finished listening to the press conference for the first time and yeah I would say it doesn't really seem like they are suggesting much with those responses. I was really struck by the way they responded to questions about her fiance though. I'd already read how they declined to answer most questions related to him and it was clear they must have been briefed beforehand on what they could answer as they didn't look to the person off-screen before declining those questions except for a couple times. However, I was surprised to hear them answer the question on whether they knew when the last time she had communicated with her fiance was, to which they replied that they did not know.

I think the picture of the van in the desert is from the video GB and BL took and prior to GB being missing. I can't recall where they were at that point in the video, but it might be when they were in the Sand Dunes.

Not 100% but I think it's the Salt Flats in Utah. It looks very similar to Death Valley in Southern California.

SBM
Just my opinion arguing your opinion but, FWIW, that doesn't sit right with me. I think its odd in two ways. 1) I don't think it would be a parent's first inclination to advise his/her son to leave the scene and avoid justice. This strikes me like the often-suggested idea that a person has gone missing because she was hit by a car and the driver took the dead body in order to avoid prosecution - meaning it has probably happened but is nonsensical. 2) I don't think a parent would suggest that the son drive cross-country in this scenario. Even if I'm wrong about #1, wouldn't the parent tell him to wait and then fly to him? I can't picture the conversation. "Just come home, try not to panic and drive off the road, everything will be okay after 2000 miles and 4 days. And don't get stopped by a cop because he'll be able to tell you're acting weirdly." Doesn't add up. IMO

Maybe not. I don't have kids, so my logic when it comes to dealing with kids is often flawed.
You are right. None of this makes sense.

other scenario. He didn’t inform parents but decided on his own to drive home after terrible thing happened. He gets home with no gabby. And no explanation. Parents hire lawyer

moo

Thank you, I actually went back to the beginning and saw that picture of the van.
You know, I’d like to get me a camper, fix it up and spend a couple of months hanging around in national parks. Where did she get the $ for the trip? Did her family finance it? Could $ have been a source of friction two months into the trip?

Is anyone else finding it unusual they spent almost 6 weeks in Utah? I mean they were in Monument Rocks, Colorado on July 4th then Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado on July 10th-11th then the next Instagram post is July 16 from Zion then they're checking out of a Salt Lake City, Utah motel on.. August 25th!? There's also some high strangeness going on with those Instagram captions as well. Distinct shifts in the prose. Not saying Brian was posting them to Gabby's account but they feel almost like shameless self-promotions of Brian. Like going on about footwear, equipment, etc. Some are very short and to the point, some even with just emojis and then others are these very well written, descriptive narratives. Hmm.
Someone else probably said this but haven’t gotten there yet… Many of the Instagram descriptions say they were edited, especially the lengthy ones.

Not sure if there is a way to see the dates they were edited on? Wish it was like FB, that actually shows you the original & the edits.

Also, her last 2 Instagram posts appear to be older pics that were reposted… also weird… and they seemed to coincide date wise with “her” last two text messages…

“The last text I got from her was on Aug. 30. I don’t know if that was her texting me or not,” Schmidt said.

Authorities searching for missing 22-year-old woman last seen in SLC

Three thoughts on this text:
1) The mom's comment reads to me like a woman that has told the story many times and been asked more than once "so you didn't actually talk to her?" I don't interpret this comment as the mom saying that she thought the text was suspicious in the moment.

2) If the text was sent by someone else and was meant to be an alibi, what purpose did it serve since that person (apparently) didn't come forward? If a person went through the trouble to go to Grand Teton and send the text, wouldn't he then want to publicize his alternate story in which he (presumably) was not with her in Teton when "she" sent the text? Why establish the alibi and then not refer to it? I suppose the likely answer is that he was saving the story for LE but it would seem less effective to go that route.

3) If the text was sent by someone else and was meant to be an alibi, why not something more dramatic? "Hey, met up with some cool new guys, ditched the bf, talk to you next month. Happy Halloween!" or "We're going on a hike up a narrow trail in the snow in our sandals. Forgot the ropes but we'll probably be okay. How I don't lose my footing." You get the point.

IMO

Last edited:
You know, I’d like to get me a camper, fix it up and spend a couple of months hanging around in national parks. Where did she get the $ for the trip? Did her family finance it? Could $ have been a source of friction two months into the trip?
When I was 22 I had worked for three years at two jobs and went to Europe for two years. I worked for the last year, but traveled cheaply for the whole first year.

“The last text I got from her was on Aug. 30. I don’t know if that was her texting me or not,” Schmidt said.

Authorities searching for missing 22-year-old woman last seen in SLC

Three thoughts on this text:
1) The mom's comment reads to me like a woman that has told the story many times and been asked more than once "so you didn't actually talk to her?" I don't interpret this comment as the mom saying that she thought the text was suspicious in the moment.

2) If the text was sent by someone else and was meant to be an alibi, what purpose did it serve since that person (apparently) didn't come forward? If a person went through the trouble to go to Grand Teton and send the text, wouldn't he then want to publicize his alternate story in which he (presumably) was not with her in Teton when "she" sent the text? Why establish the alibi and then not refer to it? I suppose the likely answer is that he was saving the story for LE but it would seem less effective to go that route.

3) If the text was sent by someone else and was meant to be an alibi, why not something more dramatic? "Hey, met up with some cool new guys, ditched the bf, talk to you next month. Happy Halloween!" or "We're going on a hike up a narrow trail in the snow in our sandals. Forgot the ropes but we'll probably be okay. How I don't lose my footing."

IMO
I would know that that was not my daughter sending that text.

Find it eerie on their Nomadic Statik Spotify account under the playlist "Mtntop" 13 days ago 4 songs were added (Aug 31?) All from the same artist named Matt Berry his album "Witchhazel". The four songs off his tracks: Take My Hand, The Pheasant, Woman, & The Badgers Wake. I'm posting this link to the lyrics of the last one which I find eerie. (I didn't check lyrics on the other 3)
Matt Berry – The Badger's Wake Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Someone else probably said this but haven’t gotten there yet… Many of the Instagram descriptions say they were edited, especially the lengthy ones.

Not sure if there is a way to see the dates they were edited on? Wish it was like FB, that actually shows you the original & the edits.

Also, her last 2 Instagram posts appear to be older pics that were reposted… also weird… and they seemed to coincide date wise with “her” last two text messages
bbm
Good find !
I have my own theories about that but will wait.
Imo.

I will not be surprised if we learn the van is owned by the couple jointly. The couple became engaged more than a year ago, and I believe this 22- year old woman, GP, trusted that she was in good company.

I'm saddened that this appears to be a situation where she trusted a man that was capable of leaving her behind and never looking back. I can't think of any situation where driving 2,500 miles cross country and leaving your partner stranded is OK. She obviously had no resources other than the travel van to transport herself back to Florida. Worse yet, her travel partner denied her parents the opportunity to help her even if he chose not to. MOO

Thank you - you just talked me down from a cliff. <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members