WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21, MEDIA, MAPS *NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SEP 16, 2021
Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito (kslnewsradio.com)
[...]

KSL’s COLD podcast team has learned Petito, 22, used an app called The Dyrt to plan her cross-country road trip with boyfriend Brian Laundrie. Her public account on The Dyrt provides insight into the likely route the couple intended to take prior to Petito’s unsolved disappearance.

[...]

Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie had set out for a “van life” adventure earlier in the summer. It appears Petito used The Dyrt app to research, select and review campsites where she and Laundrie, 23, could park their Ford Transit van during the cross-country adventure.

A review of Petito’s account by the COLD podcast team revealed several “lists” where she saved references to dispersed camping areas across Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Petito also wrote reviews after camping at some of those sites.

[...]

The lists on Petito’s account bear labels including “Colorado,” “Utah,” “craters to Teton,” “near Yellowstone,” “from Yellowstone to Glacier” and “to Washington.” The “Utah” list includes 32 locations, far more than any of the other lists.

Petito’s social media accounts confirm she visited many of the Utah locations marked in her “Utah” list in The Dyrt app.

[...]

One of Petito’s reviews on The Dyrt was for a primitive camping area just east of U.S. Highway 191 in Utah’s Grand County. That location, on the outskirts of Arches National Park, was one of several in the vicinity of Moab, Utah marked by Gabby Petito.

The Moab area is significant in Petito and Laundrie’s travels, as it was the place where they had an encounter with police on Aug. 12. Moab police pulled Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito over near the entrance to Arches National Park after a witness reported seeing a potential domestic violence situation outside the Moonflower Community Co-op.

The Porcupine Rim site sits roughly five miles north of the place where, on Aug. 18, deputies from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office located the bodies of Crystal Turner and Kylen Schulte. Turner and Schulte had been reported missing two days earlier. Investigators determined both had been shot to death.

[...]

Items in that list show Petito and Laundrie might also have driven to Palisades Reservoir along the Snake River before entering into southwestern Wyoming en route to Grand Teton National Park. Petito had eyed potential camping spots east of the park, in locations that would afford scenic views of the park’s iconic peaks.

Petito’s last communications with family members are believed to have occurred in this vicinity. She reportedly told her family she was headed from Teton area to Yellowstone National Park shortly before she disappeared.

[...]

SEP 16, 2021
Retired FBI special agent gives insight on disappearance of Gabby Petito - East Idaho News
[...]

Montoya believes police will go through Petito’s 2012 Ford Transit van “with a fine-toothed comb” and scour her social media accounts for any clues as to where she could be. They may also be looking for any connection to a double-homicide that occurred in Moab during the time Petito and Laundrie were in the area.

Kylen Schulte, 24, and Crystal Turner, 38, were last seen at a bar in Moab on Aug. 13. Their bodies were found five days later at a campsite in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Mountains.

Moab police were called to a violent argument between Petito and Laundrie the day before in the town.

“It would be a dereliction of duty if you did not look at that in terms of a possible connection. It’s not to say that anybody’s guilty of anything at this point of time but if it was a crime that led to her disappearance, could there be a connection and could it explain why she is missing at this point in time?” Montoya wonders.

[...]

SEP 16, 2021
Friends stunned by Gabby Petito's disappearance, said couple was always happy | KUTV
Friends and co-workers of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie said they are shocked by her disappearance.

[...]

A former co-worker described them as "couple goals.” NK said she worked with Brian and Gabby at a Publix grocery store in North Port Florida. She said at first, she thought the two were siblings, from the way they always did everything together. But then Gabby told her they were engaged.

[...]

She said the couple were so excited for their upcoming road trip. Saying they planned to travel the U.S, and hopefully Europe if they saved the money. She described Gabby as sweet. She loved to cook, and they often shared recipes. Kalanych said Brian was kind and would always help her lift heavy boxes.

She said she never saw them get in a verbal or physical altercation, and it's hard for her to hear all the speculations. Gabby’s other friends described her as a light, these past few days have been unimaginable for them.

[...]

SEP 16, 2021
Brian Laundrie's sister speaks publicly on Gabby Petito's disappearance, says family wants her to be 'found safe'
Brian Laundrie's sister Cassie told ABC News on Thursday her family "wants Gabby Petito to be found safe," and that Gabby is "like a sister," to her, as her brother continued to refuse to cooperate with authorities working to find the missing 22-year old.

[...]

"Obviously, me and my family want Gabby to be found safe, she's like a sister and my children love her," Laundrie's sister, Cassie, told ABC News.

[...]

ABC News will air the entire interview with Laundrie's sister Friday morning. It is unclear whether Cassie has spoken to Brian.

[...]

SEP 16, 2021
Gabby Petito's father responds to comment from Brian Laundrie's sister (newsnationnow.com)
[...]

“Obviously, me and my family want Gabby to be found safe,” Cassie Laundrie, Brian Laundrie’s sister, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” in a clip. “She’s like a sister and my children love her, and all I want is for her to come home safe and found and this to be just a big misunderstanding.”

Gabby’s father Joe Petito tells NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield that the remarks “made a lot of sense.”

“If that’s that family’s version of love, to just ignore and not care that someone’s gone,” Joe Petito said, “and people are looking for them and entire countries looking for them, I mean, that explains how we got to where we are today. Because I mean, look at their version of what they call love.”

[...]

SEP 16, 2021
Federal law enforcement focusing on Grant Teton National Park in search for Gabby Petito | KUTV
[...]

Police confirmed they are searching the Park and are asking anyone who saw the couple here or may have pictures of them to contact the FBI.

[...]

Park visitors told 2News on Thursday that they saw a group of police officers conducting what appeared to be a grid search in a field on the east side of the park.

[...]

An FBI spokesperson declined to comment on specifics of any searches being conducted in the park.

[...]

SEP 16, 2021
People pressing fiancé for answers in Petito disappearance (fox4now.com)
[...]

"We’ve just been fighting all morning, and he wouldn’t let me in the car before. He told me I need to calm down," said Petito in the body cam footage.

"She just gets worked up sometimes, and I just try to distance myself from her, so I locked the car and I walked away from her," said Laundrie in the footage.

[...]

There were other things we learned from the body camera video. Petito tells officers she suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety, and Laundrie tells officers this type of arguing was something that had happened before.

[...]

Gabby Petito case: Timeline of 22-year-old woman's disappearance

9/16/21

Here’s a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:

June-July 2021
The couple embarks on their cross-country trip, first driving from Florida to New York and later to the West Coast and western national parks. They were traveling in Petito’s converted camper van, a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, and documenting their journey on YouTube and other social media platforms.

July 2021
The couple posts regular updates about their journey to their Instagram accounts.

On July 10, Petito shared a photo of her at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve is in southern Colorado.

On July 16, she shared another set of pictures of her at Zion National Park in southwest Utah. "The past two nights camping in Zion have been so cool, literally," she wrote in part.

On July 26, Petito shared another photo of her lounging in an outdoor bathtub at Mystic Hot Springs in Utah.

August 12
The pair gets into some type of altercation near Moab, Utah. A witness called police reporting a possible domestic violence situation between the two, prompting a response by area police.

[..]

That same day, Petito posts an Instagram showing images of her visit to Arches National Park, also in Moab, Utah.

"We decided to take the path less traveled on the other side of the arch," she wrote in part in the caption.

August 19
A video uploaded to YouTube on Aug. 19 titled "VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey" highlights the couple’s travels in their converted camper van. The 8-minute video, on their channel called "Nomadic Statik," shows the pair in various locations on the California coast, driving through the salt flats in Utah, tent camping and cooking meals in their converted camper van.

End of August
Petito’s regular contact with her family stops toward the end of August, according to police.

August 25
Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, speaks to her daughter for the last time on the phone. Petito said they had stopped in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming before a planned trip to Yellowstone.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt later FOX News. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

Petito’s final Instagram post is also published on Aug. 25, featuring several photos of her standing in front of a mural wall.

Sept. 1
Laundrie returns home alone to North Port, Florida with the van — 10 days before Petito was reported missing by her family, according to the North Port Police Department.

Sept. 11
Petito’s family reports the 22-year-old missing to the Suffolk County Police Department in New York at approximately 6:55 p.m. The North Port (Florida) Police Department has since become the lead agency in the case.

Laundrie declines to speak with investigators, who are instead provided with information for the family’s attorney. The couple’s converted camper van is also recovered by North Port police at the home shared by Petito, Laundrie and Laundrie’s parents, authorities said.

[..]

Sept. 13
Petito’s mother, Nicole Schmidt, and stepfather hold a tearful press conference begging for the public’s help in finding the 22-year-old.

[..]

Sept. 14
The Laundrie family shares a statement through their attorney:

[..]

The FBI also processes the converted camper van, according to North Port police.

Sept. 15
Brian Laundrie is named "person of interest" in the case. "As of now, Brian has not made himself available to be interviewed by investigators or has provided any helpful details," North Port police said in a statement.

Petito’s family releases a new statement through their lawyer:

[..]

Sept. 16
The body camera video from the couple’s encounter with Utah police is officially released. Laundrie’s attorney declines to comment in an email to FOX 13 News.

In a news conference, officials say the investigation remains a missing person case — and not a murder investigation — and that no intensive searches have begun because it's unclear exactly where authorities might look.

The father of missing Long Island native Gabby Petito criticized her boyfriend Brian Laundrie’s sister over her remarks about “love” in a TV interview about the disappearance.

Cassie Laundrie said in an interview to be broadcast on ABC News’ “Good Morning America” on Friday that she and her family “obviously” want Petito to be found safe.

“She’s like a sister and my children love her, and all I want is for her to come home safe and found and this to be just a big misunderstanding,” she said amid accusations by the Petitos that her family was withholding valuable information about Gabby’s whereabouts.

Gabby’s father Joe Petito told NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield that the Laundries have a twisted sense of love.

Gabby Petito’s father criticizes sister of boyfriend Brian Laundrie for remarks about 'love'
—-

• Aug 27 and Aug. 30: Petito's mother gets texts from daughter’s phone, but never speaks directly to her; Petito's last text to her mother reads “No service in Yosemite,” even though she had previously told family she and Laundrie were heading to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, 800 miles away from Yosemite in California
  • Sept. 1: Laundrie arrives with the van back in Florida at the home he and Petito share with his parents in North Port; Petito is not with him, according to police
  • Sept. 11: After not hearing from her for days, Petito's family reports her missing
  • Sept. 14: Laundrie family releases statement saying in part "On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family," adding that they won't have further comment.
  • Sept. 15: Lawyer for Laundrie family says they are “remaining in the background” and will have no further comment. Police say that Laundrie still has not talked with them or cooperated in the investigation, but is named a person of interest; Gabby’s family releases statement condemning Laundrie for not aiding in search
  • Sept. 16: Petito's stepfather searches for her in Wyoming, as FBI and other law enforcement attempt to trace Laundrie's steps from Wyoming back to his home in Florida. Petito family pens letter to Laundrie family, pleading with them: "Please, if you or your family has any decency left, please tell us where Gabby is located. Tell us if we are even looking in the right place."
Gabby Petito Goes Missing: What We Know About Timeline of Events So Far

Thanks to a tipster who gave a concrete description of #GabbyPetito's van, authorities have narrowed down their search efforts to the Jenny Lake area in Grand Teton National Park.@MorganWolfeKSL has details this morning on@KSL5TV

https://twitter.com/KSL5TV/status/1438836808838569986
--
#MISSING UPDATE: "Without a doubt, on my husband’s life, I know for a fact that was their van." Couple claims they spotted #GabbyPetito's van in the Jenny Lake parking lot of Grand Teton National Park on August 25th.
Family members believe this could prove Petito made it to Wyoming with her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie. They believe she vanished shortly after.
Anyone with information on Petito's whereabouts is asked to contact:
1-800-CALL-FBI OR TIPS.FBI.GOV

--
Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park

Family members hope witness accounts like that of Shannon Baker, will help fill in the gaps.

“We drove through the Tetons and the only stop we made was at Jenny Lake,” Baker said.

Baker said it was 5 p.m. on Aug. 25, when she and her husband spotted Petito’s van in the Jenny Lake parking area.

Last edited:
Concerned parents in North Port, Fla., are set Friday to protest outside of the home of Brian Laundrie – the person of interest in Gabby Petito’s disappearance – urging him to speak out and cooperate with investigators.

The demonstration planned for 5 p.m. local time comes as the family of the missing 22-year-old has made repeated pleas for Laundrie to reveal more information.

“We’re all trying to find the answer and the only person who knows it is sitting over in their house,” Gabby Petito’s father, Joe, said on “Hannity” Thursday night. “You can’t have a more frustrating situation… Look where we are. Everyone’s sitting here trying to bring Gabby home and the only one who doesn’t care is the one who’s supposed to care about her the most.”

Image-from-iOS-7.jpg

Gabby Petito disappearance: Brian Laundrie home in Florida will be site of another protest Friday

Brian Laundrie’s sister says it was “typical” for her brother and his girlfriend Gabby Petito to fight and then take a break from each other.

Asked about the police bodycam footage of officers speaking to a sobbing Petito and Laundrie after they got into a fight in Utah on Aug. 12, Cassie said: “It looked typical of both of them. Whenever they’d fight they’d take a break and be fine.”

Cassie admitted she hadn’t yet spoken to her brother after he returned to Florida in the couple’s van without Petito on Sept 1.

SEP 17, 2021
Utah sheriff ‘actively' investigating possible connection between Gabby Petito disappearance and double murder (fox13news.com)
[...]

Laundrie returned home to North Port, where the couple's trip began, on Sept. 1 with Petito's white van, but without Petito.

Schmidt received a text from Petito's phone on Aug. 27 and another one on Aug. 30, but she does not think these texts were from her daughter.

"I believe that text was not from my daughter. Now that we know the van was in Florida on the 1st, there is no way that text was from my daughter," Schmidt told Fox News.

[...]

SEP 17, 2021
Gabby Petito case: Why isn't Brian Laundrie talking? Legal Analyst breaks down the reasons - ABC13 Houston
[...]

"Good Morning America" anchor Cecilia Vega asked the question on many people's minds, "Why would a lawyer advise their client not to cooperate in a case?"

"Well the most obvious answer would be if there is incriminating information. The lawyer put out a second statement trying to explain that point, that in cases like this, and I'm looking down because I'm reading the statement, he's saying, 'In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement officers focus their attention on.' That's true, but it's also true that as of right now she's missing. Meaning as of right now, they want to find her, so you would think that the kind of advice that someone gives is a little bit different. So again, the lawyer's advice will totally depend on what information that lawyer has."

[...]

SEP 17, 2021
Gabby Petito: Search for missing woman continues; father expresses frustration: LIVE UPDATES (foxnews.com)
[...]

Meanwhile, patience is wearing thin in North Port, Fla. -- where Laundrie lives -- as police are intervening in response to homeowners’ complaints of members of the media parking on lawns and disturbing the normally quiet neighborhood.

Concerned parents in North Port, Fla., are set Friday to protest outside of the home of Brian Laundrie – the person of interest in Gabby Petito’s disappearance – urging him to speak out and cooperate with investigators.

The demonstration planned for 5 p.m. local time comes as the family of the missing 22-year-old has made repeated pleas for Laundrie to reveal more information.

[...]

Brian Entin on Twitter
I'm told there will be a protest this evening outside Brian Laundrie's parents house. The mood among people in the neighborhood seemed to be changing last night with more telling us they are frustrated Brian is not talking.
9:53 AM · Sep 17, 2021·Twitter Web App

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members