Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where you got the evidence for this. Brian is the one that built out the van, per neighbor's comments. And per Gabby's parents they both saved for the trip and van.
IIRC he worked on the motor, and Gabby fit out the whole inside. Do you have a link to "Brian is the one that built out the van"?

And Gabby's parents would be repeating what she told them, they weren't there. So you are quoting neighbors and people who weren't there. Also IMO Gabby was hiding from her parents the way she was pulling the weight in the relationship. Selling her car to get her van, possibly having the only credit cards, possibly the only phone, the only plan & impetus for a business, etc. But if you could find proof of your statement, "Brian is the one that built out the van", TIA.

Last edited:
Not sure why he would scrub his fingerprints - one would expect both his and Gabby's to be everywhere (along with their DNA). In fact, scrubbing the van would be a big piece of evidence against him.

Unless of course, he had her blood on his hands - in which case, he needed to go wash up.

This was a dry camp. Down the road, in the numbered sites, Spread Creek campground may have spigots but no restrooms, so he would have been seen doing such an act. Probably feeling a bit scared at the time, I would imagine. (My info on the campground is coming from reviews and from Bridger-Teton NF webpage).

What a bummer if he did something so heinous that he figured he couldn't even get back in the van, but had to hoof it over to Colter Bay.

Your posts are so interesting, especially coupled with your areas of expertise; would you kindly let us know what you make of this whole case? What do you think happened and why; and what is happing now and what do you think will happen next?

Something in that clip at Moab inched it's way forward ...

Why , and how, is Gabby 'locked out of the van'...? doesn't she have her own set of keys? Considering it's her van, legally, and probably fiscally, too. How come Brian holds the only set of keys? to her van?

Why hasn't she had a set of keys cut for herself at some stage, unless it's strictly on Brian's say-so...?

I have shared cars with various members of my family, at various times ( once with a daughter, instead of two average cars , we bought one unaverage one, it worked out ok ) .. I had my own set of keys, it was essential , I cannot understand how they managed that trip with only one set of car keys. Ive had a set keys to every car that ever lived in my garage...

Even for Brian's convenience, two sets would be required... unless it had a deeper significance to him and he was prepared to put up with the inconvenience with the payoff being the power he could wield.. .

And where the bloody hell is Brian ??
Something in that clip at Moab inched it's way forward ...

Why , and how, is Gabby 'locked out of the van'...? doesn't she have her own set of keys? Considering it's her van, legally, and probably fiscally, too. How come Brian holds the only set of keys? to her van?

Why hasn't she had a set of keys cut for herself at some stage, unless it's strictly on Brian's say-so...?

I have shared cars with various members of my family, at various times ( once with a daughter, instead of two average cars , we bought one unaverage one, it worked out ok ) .. I had my own set of keys, it was essential , I cannot understand how they managed that trip with only one set of car keys. Ive had a set keys to every car that ever lived in my garage...

Even for Brian's convenience, two sets would be required... unless it had a deeper significance to him and he was prepared to put up with the inconvenience with the payoff being the power he could wield.. .

And where the bloody hell is Brian ??
Maybe there was an extra set of keys but they were with her stuff in the van?

The Brian Laundrie search is complicated by time and environmental factors, experts say - CNN

Oct 2
Several experts told CNN that time is of the essence in the search for Laundrie. The conditions in south Florida make finding forensic evidence extremely difficult.

"Time is that one thing that we are constantly fighting in law enforcement," said Bryanna Fox, a former FBI special agent.

Here's why experts say it's been taking authorities so long to find Laundrie.

The more time passes, the less evidence there will be

Laundrie essentially had a multi-day head start on law enforcement. When his parents told police their son had disappeared, he had already been gone for three days.

A source close to Laundrie's family told CNN's Chris Cuomo that Laundrie left their home without his cell phone and wallet.

The fact that Laundrie left those two key items behind may mean there's very little digital or forensic evidence for authorities, said Fox, the USF professor. The cell phone would've helped investigators know who Laundrie was communicating with and where he may have been, while his wallet would've told them where he's spending money.

"Unlike other fugitives or people that are missing, we typically have reason to believe they're in a populated area," Fox said. "In this case, it looks like he attempted to maybe go off the grid and is not living in society. So it makes it even harder to find him."

Authorities have to balance tips and actual evidence

Petito's death and the search for Laundrie has become an obsession for many, and media and social media are powerful and positive tools in identifying missing people.

But there's also a negative side to the onslaught of internet sleuths and media coverage.

Another problem authorities are running into is lack of resources. Boyer explained that crime doesn't stop just because there is a missing person, and there are beat cops who still have to investigate and respond to other crimes in the community.

There's still hope to find Laundrie

Despite time and resources being issued in the search for Laundrie, each expert who spoke to CNN said there's still a chance to find him.

Fox said the only way Laundrie will be able to continue evading police is if he's "absolutely perfect" in hiding.

………

"The public has to be patient, and that can be hard to do in the time where we have feelings where we think we can be more helpful,"
she said. "We're all just looking for red flags and they could be meaningless."

So where are we in this mysterious saga?
Do the authorities have proof of life?
Or no proof of death?
Is Brian following?
Will he take his own life when the time comes?
Or has he snuck under the radar and already accomplished it?
Has he succumbed in the Reserve?
And, will we ever know?
MOO.

So where are we in this mysterious saga?
Do the authorities have proof of life?
Or no proof of death?
Is Brian following?
Will he take his own life when the time comes?
Or has he snuck under the radar and already accomplished it?
Has he succumbed in the Reserve?
And, will we ever know?
MOO.

This is why I am asking our 10ofRods...

In that scenario, what do you think he us/would be doing, then?

(Note I think there are many strategic and tactical reasons that the only public indictnent is on the fraud/I've outlined a number of them. Merely asking what you think he's doing if unaware he is wanted.)
Oh, for me personally, I absolutely don't think he's "not" aware. In MOO, he knows full well what's going on. My point was that this is what the defense will raise (MOO bc it's what I would counter with). And, unless the gov't has proof otherwise, this is gonna go their way and the clock will start to run. MOO This is not worth the risk. Don't forget what I said in that post though - there could be one under seal that we don't know about, though the docket doesn't seem to show any docs under seal. Docket for United States v. Laundrie, 0:21-cr-00113 - CourtListener.com

Can we please stop questioning BL's ability to drive from WY to FL in the time allowed?

He had 58-60 hours to go 2,300-2,400 miles.

Last week I moved my daughter from San Diego, CA to Atlanta, GA. This is roughly the same distance and estimated driving time. I was driving a small suv, pulling a loaded u-haul trailer. My daughter was nervous about driving with the trailer, so I drove every mile. We spent two nights in hotels, getting meaningful sleep (6-7 hours).

Total elapsed time door-to-door: 52 hours

I'm 50 years old and did it with ease. BL is younger and more fit. He'd have no problem.

Greetings, all. I'm new in these parts and apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong way -- or in the wrong place.

Please forgive me for piping up as a newcomer instead of just staying mum and lurking like a normal person, but I created an account expressly to make an impassioned plea for something I've found missing from much of the internet discussion and media coverage that considers Brian Laundrie's options as a fugitive.

Namely, historical precedent.

What do I mean? Pundits say that Laundrie's only option is to hide out in nature; that even there he can't survive for long; that as ‘normal’ people, neither he nor his parents can pull off a long-term-hiding scenario; that the post-9/11 world is too vigilant for Laundrie to leave the country successfully; etc.

Yet, such arguments make me think of:

Precedent #1: With less than 3 days of lead-time, Alex "Preppy Rapist" Kelly's parents managed to help him jump bail and escape from Connecticut to Europe for 7 years – all of them spent living in reasonable comfort with an assumed name and faked ID papers. Although Kelly earned income as a popular worker on the European ski resort circuit throughout the period, his parents also funneled him money -- through a system so well-constructed that neither U.S. LE nor Interpol could crack it.

But expert detective work eventually ended Kelly's 7 years on the lam, right? Nope. As you doubtless recall, LE hadn't a clue where Kelly was. He was caught only after his parents failed to destroy photos they'd recklessly made and retained after a holiday visit to Kelly overseas.

Precedent #2: Although I've sadly suspected since the outset of Brian's odyssey that his parents wittingly sent LE on a snipe hunt in Carlton Reserve -- and I feel much the same way about the De Soto Park 'lead' -- Eric "Abortion Clinic Bomber" Rudolph's 5-year fugitive sojourn in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains gives some credence to the viability of an Appalachian hideout for Brian, per his much-discussed love of the AT.

Indeed, Rudolph's case proves that it is not only possible to survive in the Southern U.S.'s mountain ranges, but to do so indefinitely -- especially if one has help. And that, to me, is the only stumbling block for Brian: while anti-abortion, anti-government sympathizers fed, hid, and otherwise helped Rudolph, folks ticked off about Brian's widely-publicized "stupid Southerners" quip in a Wyoming bar in August are unlikely to roll out the red carpet.

And, as you guys doubtless know better than most, sheer serendipity played an even larger role in LE's apprehension of Rudolph than Kelly. Although LE were uncertain of Rudolph's whereabouts, one of his main protectors died unexpectedly in his 5th year as a fugitive, forcing Rudolph to venture out of the mountains for provisions. He was caught rummaging through a dumpster for food.

Finally, the post-9/11 vigilance thing? When folks say there's no way that Laundrie could make it past screeners to board a plane or cruise ship, I consider that just recently, a group of UK high school girls -- none of them older than 17, IIRC -- managed to get the requisite papers and fly from England to the Middle East to join an extremist group, despite the UK's robust pre-flight screening and the girls’ lack of documented parental consent.

So if historical precedent augurs future possibilities, then Laundrie could be gone for a very, very long time – and just might be found in surprisingly distant surroundings when/if he is found. (Just MOO.)

[ETA: Fixed age reference.]

Welcome! Excellent post - lots to think about and to review.

Just a little detail, but did anyone else notice how BL held onto those van keys in the body cam footage? I remember it irked me how he was gripping them at times and how he almost hesitates to hand them over to the officer to give to Gabby near the end.
oh those keys were his crown, his orb, his scepter... (a rod or wand borne in the hand as an emblem of regal or imperial power. 2. royal or imperial power or authority; sovereignty. v.t. 3. to give a scepter to; invest with authority.)

He loathed giving them up, and he loathed the authority that would be conveyed to Gabby once she had the keys.. it's all there in his little squinty eyed thin lipped moue of anxiety.,..

His holding of the keys, the dispensing of the car keys at his whim and will must have occupied his mind a lot, imagine the peace he must have felt when he was driving home to mum and dad having removed that irritating interruption to his KeyHolding position.

Apologies to all of those invested in correct english but it wont let sceptre lay down on the page!...

K9 search expert: Promising clues emerge in hunt for Brian Laundrie

Oct 02

Michael Hadsell, president of Peace River K9 Search and Rescue, was among the searchers who joined Dog’s search for fugitive Brian Laundrie in Fort De Soto Park.

“I wasn’t a big believer in the Fort De Soto when it first started,” Hadsell, who brought his K9 team to help in the search, told WSNN-TV News. “But after working out there, yesterday, I’m like, ‘Wow, we may be really into something.’

Hadsell told the station they found signs Brian Laundrie may be dodging authorities by kayaking around the Florida park, a 1,136-acre oasis made up of five interconnected islands at the mouth of Tampa Bay.

“We did find some campsites, we did find some evidence of kayaks near the campsites so it is possible that Brian’s out there,” Hadsell said.

The K9 team had to rely on its experience of nearly 200 search and rescue missions because the Laundrie family did not supply anything with Brian’s scent on it, Hadsell said.

“The parents as you know are being uncooperative, so we don’t have any scent articles or anything from Brian to be able to use it as a target odor for our dogs to work on,” Hadsell said. “So, we do what we call, ‘general human scent.’

The dogs are trained to work on water from a boat, he explained.

K9 search expert: Promising clues emerge in hunt for Brian Laundrie

Oct 02

Michael Hadsell, president of Peace River K9 Search and Rescue, was among the searchers who joined Dog’s search for fugitive Brian Laundrie in Fort De Soto Park.

“I wasn’t a big believer in the Fort De Soto when it first started,” Hadsell, who brought his K9 team to help in the search, told WSNN-TV News. “But after working out there, yesterday, I’m like, ‘Wow, we may be really into something.’

Hadsell told the station they found signs Brian Laundrie may be dodging authorities by kayaking around the Florida park, a 1,136-acre oasis made up of five interconnected islands at the mouth of Tampa Bay.

“We did find some campsites, we did find some evidence of kayaks near the campsites so it is possible that Brian’s out there,” Hadsell said.

The K9 team had to rely on its experience of nearly 200 search and rescue missions because the Laundrie family did not supply anything with Brian’s scent on it, Hadsell said.

“The parents as you know are being uncooperative, so we don’t have any scent articles or anything from Brian to be able to use it as a target odor for our dogs to work on,” Hadsell said. “So, we do what we call, ‘general human scent.’

The dogs are trained to work on water from a boat, he explained.
Crapola! Are you kidding me??!

They file a missing persons report because they I want the public to think their son is missing. And yet they do not give law enforcement anything with his scent on it!
Now I really am shaking my head!!

Greetings, all. I'm new in these parts and apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong way -- or in the wrong place.

Please forgive me for piping up as a newcomer instead of just staying mum and lurking like a normal person, but I created an account expressly to make an impassioned plea for something I've found missing from much of the internet discussion and media coverage that considers Brian Laundrie's options as a fugitive.

Namely, historical precedent.

What do I mean? Pundits say that Laundrie's only option is to hide out in nature; that even there he can't survive for long; that as ‘normal’ people, neither he nor his parents can pull off a long-term-hiding scenario; that the post-9/11 world is too vigilant for Laundrie to leave the country successfully; etc.

Yet, such arguments make me think of:

Precedent #1: With less than 3 days of lead-time, Alex "Preppy Rapist" Kelly's parents managed to help him jump bail and escape from Connecticut to Europe for 7 years – all of them spent living in reasonable comfort with an assumed name and faked ID papers. Although Kelly earned income as a popular worker on the European ski resort circuit throughout the period, his parents also funneled him money -- through a system so well-constructed that neither U.S. LE nor Interpol could crack it.

But expert detective work eventually ended Kelly's 7 years on the lam, right? Nope. As you doubtless recall, LE hadn't a clue where Kelly was. He was caught only after his parents failed to destroy photos they'd recklessly made and retained after a holiday visit to Kelly overseas.

Precedent #2: Although I've sadly suspected since the outset of Brian's odyssey that his parents wittingly sent LE on a snipe hunt in Carlton Reserve -- and I feel much the same way about the De Soto Park 'lead' -- Eric "Abortion Clinic Bomber" Rudolph's 5-year fugitive sojourn in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains gives some credence to the viability of an Appalachian hideout for Brian, per his much-discussed love of the AT.

Indeed, Rudolph's case proves that it is not only possible to survive in the Southern U.S.'s mountain ranges, but to do so indefinitely -- especially if one has help. And that, to me, is the only stumbling block for Brian: while anti-abortion, anti-government sympathizers fed, hid, and otherwise helped Rudolph, folks ticked off about Brian's widely-publicized "stupid Southerners" quip in a Wyoming bar in August are unlikely to roll out the red carpet.

And, as you guys doubtless know better than most, sheer serendipity played an even larger role in LE's apprehension of Rudolph than Kelly. Although LE were uncertain of Rudolph's whereabouts, one of his main protectors died unexpectedly in his 5th year as a fugitive, forcing Rudolph to venture out of the mountains for provisions. He was caught rummaging through a dumpster for food.

Finally, the post-9/11 vigilance thing? When folks say there's no way that Laundrie could make it past screeners to board a plane or cruise ship, I consider that just recently, a group of UK high school girls -- none of them older than 17, IIRC -- managed to get the requisite papers and fly from England to the Middle East to join an extremist group, despite the UK's robust pre-flight screening and the girls’ lack of documented parental consent.

So if historical precedent augurs future possibilities, then Laundrie could be gone for a very, very long time – and just might be found in surprisingly distant surroundings when/if he is found. (Just MOO.)

[ETA: Fixed age reference.]
Great post..Rudolph was also the Olympic bomber from 1996. Lots of places to hide on the AT

Thought experiment.

They loved each other. The fought like cats and dogs off and on for 7 years. Gabby said they BOTH suffered from anxiety both! Not sure psychopaths can even feel anxiety.

They got to Spreading Creek, again all the while arguing...went to walk it off, starting getting physical again. Brian hit her or pushed her so hard she broke her neck and died instantly.

Is Brian evil???
There are posts by Gabby on instagram, some appear to show bruising on her neck. Someone in this group posted one where she was sans asking. But I know I have seen others, but am not sure it is a shadow, or a bruise. Another thought, her hair would hide bruising in some cases. And I wonder if there are lapses in her coverage due to visual signs of abuse.

IIRC, he said "I don't really have a phone". I thought I read that he had a phone but not service so it was useless without wifi. I can't find that anywhere now though. Can anyone verify?
I believe the no phone comment was made at the Moab police stop when he was recalling the events at the Moonflower. I took it to mean that they were fighting outside the van and that's when he had no phone. He stated that he was worried she was going to take the van and leave him without a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma