Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best move they could have made was hiring the best defense atty available and negotiate a plea deal, minimum sentence, possibility of life after prison if he is guilty of her death. . This is not a situation where you protect your child at all costs, the cost of doing this could possibly have led to him taking his own life. It is not “turning on your son” to have him do the right thing, tough as it is, having him turn himself in could have saved his life both figuratively and literally. Plenty of parents/family have cooperated with LE when a family member is the suspect.
<modnsip> Like I said in another post, Brian is an adult and short of shooting him in the leg, if he refused to cooperate, what were your suggestions to them to make that happen? <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
And you have convinced yourself, along with so many others, that the Laundries didn't attempt to have their son "do the right thing". Like I said in another post, Brian is an adult and short of shooting him in the leg, if he refused to cooperate, what were your suggestions to them to make that happen? <modsnip>
Its their actions both before and after Gabby was found that lead to many making such an assumption. They could not force him to do anything but surely they are in control of how much they themselves cooperate.

My amateur opinion and speculation is he is hiding in a hunting cabin here:

Official Adirondack Website | Your Ultimate Guide to the Adirondacks
Yes, agree. Also possible a fishing cabin, access to water, can fish for food, maybe it has been stocked previously. The ironic thing is how many of us have pegged BL as not very smart,. . . in the very least he is the olympian of hide and seek. And to think he is only a felon for bank charge and there is all this searching, FBI is conducting this manhunt for a reason; not just to keep us all up at night wondering where BL is. JMO

"Gabby almost got arrested in Moab, for beating up on me"
"Don't get into it with the Petitos, mum and dad. There is no point."
"Gabby took off with that dude I was telling you about, she'll swing by here at some point and get her stuff"
"It is up to Gabby to tell her parents what happened. All I know is she cheated on me, and she got violent with me, and I dont want anything more to do with any of them." (sob).

Yeah, SouthAussie, if he’s found this is the kind of waffle we could hear. I like to play with scenarios and then find the holes in them. Here’s my fav. They are very close.

Gabby left him and ran off with another camper. The camper’s name was Chris. He was from Cali. She told BL to keep the van and the money and go home. She wouldn’t need it. Chris was loaded. BL was so angry and hurt that he told his parents not to answer the Petito’s texts and calls. Two weeks later, when he realized Gabby might have been harmed, he totally freaked out. He wanted to run to the woods and kill himself. (Because he loved her so much.) His parents decided to call a lawyer; they knew he would be a suspect. The lawyer told them not to speak to anyone.

Its their actions both before and after Gabby was found that lead to many making such an assumption. They could not force him to do anything but surely they are in control of how much they themselves cooperate.
They have a lawyer.

But, maybe he only walked far enough to distance himself and set up a tent. Gabby would have been upset to be left alone and followed him. Speculation based on what I saw in the LE vids.

This.
I speculated before, MOO, that her absolute fear at being separated from him that night in Moab had less to do with a fear of being alone, and more to do with being the half of a relationship that just wanted everything to be “fixed“ before walking away, even if that meant taking the blame. Taking a complete amateur guess, based on the very little information we do have (and admittedly personal experience that is creepily similar), my thought is that there was an argument, probably a continuous one from leaving the restaurant, he stormed off with “just leave me alone right now!” or similar to make camp somewhere else away from the van, she followed after him pleading in the hopes to just make peace and end the conflict, and he just lost it. speculation/JMO

The best move they could have made was hiring the best defense atty available and negotiate a plea deal, minimum sentence, possibility of life after prison if he is guilty of her death. . This is not a situation where you protect your child at all costs, the cost of doing this could possibly have led to him taking his own life. It is not “turning on your son” to have him do the right thing, tough as it is, having him turn himself in could have saved his life both figuratively and literally. Plenty of parents/family have cooperated with LE when a family member is the suspect.

BBM

The Laundries have been interviewed and questioned by the FBI.

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #58

Mr Laundrie also participated at the reserve when he was asked.

Chris Laundrie's search efforts could be positive sign, former agents say

Yes, I recall that the van is registered there. There was mention

BBM
"Petito’s vehicle was found in North Port at her home on September 11th, which she shares with her boyfriend Laundrie and his parents."

But the thing about insurance. He was 23, the rates for males under the age of 25 on average is quite expensive. I don't see that he could afford his own vehicle and her vehicle. JMO. I'd guess she was still covered under her parents insurance but again, do we know who the car is actually registered to?
"
Car insurance does go down at 25. The average price of car insurance for a 25-year-old is $3,207 for an annual policy. By contrast, drivers pay an average of $7,179 at 18 and $4,453 at 21 — which demonstrates that car insurance does go down as you age."

Does Car Insurance Go Down at Age 25?
SOURCE: Gabby Petito disappearance: Moab police report details altercation between van life couple
Just because Gabby currently "lived" with the Laundries doesn't mean it was her legal residence on her driver's license and the van's registration.

The van had to be registered and insured in order to be licensed by the State of Florida. I believe her father added Gabby and the vehicle to HIS insurance. I also believe it likely her driver's license listed her dad's address. She may also have been on his employer health insurance. It would be cheaper than getting vehicle insurance only in her name. We did the same thing for all of our kids because it was less expensive.

BL didn't have to pay for insurance on her vehicle. The van's insurance would cover any licensed driver.

jmo

Thanks for this. It has got me thinking. There was a grand jury convened for this indictment, correct? How long does it take to convene a grand jury?

Body Found Sunday 19th September
Autopsy results released Tueaday 21st September
Indictment filed with the court 22nd September

I would imagine for the GJ to find there was enough evidence to make the indictment, there must have been a determination that Gabby was dead at the given dates (30 August and 1 September).

My question is - if the body had been out in the open for a period of 3 weeks (+/- a few days), how did the coroner confirm the date of death within such a short time span?

A grand jury can be convened very quickly. They don't even have to all get together in person because of COVID. Since it was about stolen credit card fraud it was probably a very clear case with clear evidence and it wouldn't have taken long to get an indictment.

The autopsy is not complete or if it is we don't know the results.

They do not know the date or time of death or if they do they have not told the public. They know a general time frame based on when she was last seen and when BL returned to FL with her van.

IMO.

<modsnip - opinion stated as fact>

From the article above:

"He wrote: "I was lucky enough to have the privelage [sic] of both knowing and loving you.

"The last memory I have with you was the summer of 2017, before I left, we were sitting in my car down by the water.

"You had a journal in your hand. Any ordinary person would write in a journal, with words, but not you, you were extraordinary."

'HONORED AND TOUCHED'
Williams added: "Each page had these in depth drawings depicting how you felt and what you were experiencing, all I can remember was how impressed I was, telling you how talented, and creative you were, honored and touched that you trusted me enough to even share with me something so personal.

"Because that's exactly the type of person you were."

Williams also shared two images of Gabby - one showing the two of them together as children.

He said there "wasn't a single person" in their hometown of Blue Point, New York, who "didn't know who she was."

Gabby was a "recurring influence" in his life "even though we were only a bunch of stupid kids when we first met", Brandon added.

Brandon added: "It absolutely breaks my heart that the rest of the world only knows you as a case file, a missing persons report, a victim.

"Because to your friends, your family, my family, me and Blue Point as a community, you were simply just Gabby, and that was more than enough." "

Gabby's ex-boyfriend reveals his heartbreaking last memory of her
Well if my heart wasn't broken before.. now that did it --oh great!!

If Gabby only had her"

Gosh, on the link I shared earlier, it appears that the learner's license is the only one printed vertically.
If, in fact, all she had was her learner's permit it would explain her deferring to BL's driving. As well as explaining why she felt a larger degree of dependency upon him.
But ~ are you even able to buy or lease a vehicle without a valid, full on driver's license?

While I don't think we know exactly when GP moved to Florida, according to this article it was in Jan 2019.
Gabby Petito lived, worked in North Carolina for more than 1 year prior to moving to Florida

She would have been about to turn 20 in Jan 2019. So she would have had a vertical "under 21" license issued in FL.

I know some folks think the Moab police made errors. But I really do not think they would have let her drive off by herself if she only had a learner's permit. And I think that's especially true given she expressed concerns to the officer about driving the van.

I'm pretty sure she had a license and I'm also pretty sure you cannot lease a car with only a learner's permit. But remember she didn't lease the Nissan. Her parents said they did. It may be they bought the van too. We don't really know except that evidence from the traffic stop suggests it was registered in her name. And her father was quite emphatic that it was her car....perhaps because he bought it for her.

JMO

Yes, agree. Also possible a fishing cabin, access to water, can fish for food, maybe it has been stocked previously. The ironic thing is how many of us have pegged BL as not very smart,. . . in the very least he is the olympian of hide and seek. And to think he is only a felon for bank charge and there is all this searching, FBI is conducting this manhunt for a reason; not just to keep us all up at night wondering where BL is. JMO
BBM. Not necessarily. I think he's had a lot of help, and was transported to upper state NY. Familiar stomping grounds, likely confidantes near by for ongoing support.

Amateur opinion and speculation

And you have convinced yourself, along with so many others, that the Laundries didn't attempt to have their son "do the right thing". Like I said in another post, Brian is an adult and short of shooting him in the leg, if he refused to cooperate, what were your suggestions to them to make that happen? <modsnip>

You can't force any adult to do anything. You can only distance your own behavior from theirs.

Step out into the public square, offering your personal honest and heartfelt condolences to the Petito family and announce that you have tried to get your adult child to cooperate with the police investigation into Gabby's disappearance but he has made his own choices not to do that. However difficult it is, speak out on these two things.

That certainly wouldn't make anyone happy, because there's no happiness to be found here. It would only acknowledge that a young woman has died and that your son has decided not to cooperate.

They have a lawyer.
i can see both sides...they were only given information and had to act on what they were told from BL. But, my struggle is, when the whole situation turned so quickly, I would have liked that if the lawyer said 'say nothing', that one of them thought 'this doesn't seem like the best idea, maybe we should get a second opinion'. IMO their legal counsel, helped get them into this negative light.
I don't know really what i would have done if in this situation. Again, the before they knew something was wrong and the after they knew are two different decision making situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298