Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the video with the van at the side of the road? If so, watch it from back before the van comes into view. When it first comes into view you can see a vertical black line on the back of the van. As the camera approaches the black line disappears. As it gets closer there is nothing there that can explain the black line. I'm pretty sure the back door was, in fact, ajar and then closed as the camera was approaching.

Yep about the only thing I'm sure of is the door was open then it shut and there didn't seem to be a windy day either.

It's not the same phone :)

oh, I did not mean to imply the suspected burner was the phone at the Moah stop....but it did remind me of the thoughts I had about Brian being able to communicate with his parents when he left his home, and how Cassie's husband said he did not like phones. Maybe that was his whole back to nature thing.

I've watched the videos of the van and the slowed down HD one too. The vertical black line is the black ladder which appears to move as they get closer to the van. I don't think the door closes like that. And if someone was inside the van it would be very dark. I'd hate to be shut up in there even at night. No air, no light.
I think it did close. MOO I wish I could find the video I know it was approved (I saw the mod approval on the thread so if I find it I will post it but it could be in any thread from 9/19 on). I just assumed it would be moved to media but I guess it's not technically MSM so it wasn't.

Thank you for taking the time!! It's been since like thread #2 and I never thought to bother doing this.

I still don't see the door open. No matter how many times I slow down or rewatch I cannot see that door move at all. All I can say is thank everything that family was vlogging their trip!

It's open slightly (on the right side) from the moment you see the van, but then the right door closes at 1:35. It's not wide open, but when it closes, that is when there is no gap anymore. The van has two doors in the back which meet in the middle.

Does that make sense considering he gave that phone number to the police as his contact? He didn't mention "Oh, but I can't use this phone at all, so don't bother calling me on it." And presumably this is the same phone that Gabby's parents called him on, assuming it was a working number.

Can you link or point to the time where Brian or Gabby actually claimed that Brian's phone doesn't have paid minutes or it doesn't work without WiFi?

He gave his phone number to LE because IIRC, they asked him for his contact information or if he had a phone. Right before he gave them his phone number, he said something like, I don’t really have one. But he did have one because he pulled it out. This made me think he didn’t have any minutes. Even if he didn’t have any minutes left on his plan, it still would have been his phone number once he topped up his minutes again. That was how I interpreted what he meant. I noticed his hands trembling too and it seemed he was very nervous. Speculation only.

They couldn't before she was found IMO bc they did not have her present to testify that she did not give him consent to take it. BUT... now that they have found her, I think this speaks for itself. Whether they will bother adding it to the multitude of counts that I can envision is unknown. Time will tell. MOO
Grand theft auto sounds pretty darn good to me -- that's exactly what he did. Grrrr.
The whole book -- throw it at him. :mad::mad:

For those who missed it and don't want to dig back through threads, I wanted to reshare a post I made from earlier today on Thread 59. I have been digging into the Sept. 13th and a lot of people have been helping add in info they've found, so if anyone else had ideas on where to look for videos, I'm running out of ideas!

Here's an article originally published on 9/13. It references a photo of Chris Laundrie mowing his lawn on Monday (which would be the 13th) and shows the front of the Laundrie home (sans Mustang).
Mom of missing Florida girl, 22, pleads for help to find her daughter | Daily Mail Online

It was originally posted at 16:07 (4:07 p.m.). I've been hung up on the 12th and 13th dates, so I've been trying to really narrow down that time frame. So here's some research I've done.

I was able to find a daily weather history on WeatherUnderground for Punta Gorda, which is approximately 18 miles away. It showed light rain starting at 5:49 p.m. and ending somewhere between 6 and 6:30 p.m.

For Venice Muni Station, which is approximately 14.5 miles, it reported thunder beginning around 3:15, heavy rain at 3:55 pm. and continuing off and on until about 7:15 p.m.

If the article was posted on the 13th at approx. 4:00 p.m., then the photos had to have been taken earlier in the day. Taking into consideration the afternoon rain beginning around 3 p.m., we can safely assume they were taken before 3.

WeatherUnderground also reflects a high of 91 degrees at noon, so I would venture to guess they were taken the morning of the 13th because he wouldn't want to cut grass in the middle of the day. Clearly that is an assumption, and I am still trying to narrow that down.

We also have this video from Fox 13 at 6:03 p.m. I'm basing the p.m. off the fact that the news anchor says at the beginning "developing tonight." She then flips to one of their reporters who is live in front of the home. The Mustang is not there, the Dodge truck is.

There is a second video from Fox 13 during their 10 p.m. broadcast and they go back to the same reporter who is live again in front of the Laundrie home.

I took a screenshot of the second video and turned the exposure WAY up in an attempt to see the background. There's probably a much better way to do this and achieve better results, but I was trying to do it on the fly. It looks like the truck is in the background.

Something that caught my attention - if you look at the first video from the 6 p.m. broadcast, the truck is backed directly underneath the camper. In the second broadcast, if I am right in what I'm seeing, the truck is now facing the camper and possibly a little more towards the left. I uploaded both photos for reference. If that's true, then obviously the truck was moved at some point between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Moving the truck the evening of the 13th is consistent with the latest revision by SB. As for the rain, though, can’t read too much into that imo. There’s a well-known saying in FL, “if you don’t like the rain, wait 10 minutes or move 10 feet”. On & off showers are short little bursts. Can be pouring on one street & dry a block away. I don’t think the weather impacted the Laundries much, if at all. Jmo

It's open slightly (on the right side) from the moment you see the van, but then the right door closes at 1:35. It's not wide open, but when it closes, that is when there is no gap anymore. The van has two doors in the back which meet in the middle.

I can see the bottom right in the screenshots, there's a black sort of "strip". But Imho, it looks slightly crooked and not as if the door is open/shut.

It doesn't matter what I see. It's weird I agree with that. Whatever we are seeing is irrelevant. We need to be seeing BL already.

For those who missed it and don't want to dig back through threads, I wanted to reshare a post I made from earlier today on Thread 59. I have been digging into the Sept. 13th and a lot of people have been helping add in info they've found, so if anyone else had ideas on where to look for videos, I'm running out of ideas!

Here's an article originally published on 9/13. It references a photo of Chris Laundrie mowing his lawn on Monday (which would be the 13th) and shows the front of the Laundrie home (sans Mustang).
Mom of missing Florida girl, 22, pleads for help to find her daughter | Daily Mail Online

It was originally posted at 16:07 (4:07 p.m.). I've been hung up on the 12th and 13th dates, so I've been trying to really narrow down that time frame. So here's some research I've done.

I was able to find a daily weather history on WeatherUnderground for Punta Gorda, which is approximately 18 miles away. It showed light rain starting at 5:49 p.m. and ending somewhere between 6 and 6:30 p.m.

For Venice Muni Station, which is approximately 14.5 miles, it reported thunder beginning around 3:15, heavy rain at 3:55 pm. and continuing off and on until about 7:15 p.m.

If the article was posted on the 13th at approx. 4:00 p.m., then the photos had to have been taken earlier in the day. Taking into consideration the afternoon rain beginning around 3 p.m., we can safely assume they were taken before 3.

WeatherUnderground also reflects a high of 91 degrees at noon, so I would venture to guess they were taken the morning of the 13th because he wouldn't want to cut grass in the middle of the day. Clearly that is an assumption, and I am still trying to narrow that down.

We also have this video from Fox 13 at 6:03 p.m. I'm basing the p.m. off the fact that the news anchor says at the beginning "developing tonight." She then flips to one of their reporters who is live in front of the home. The Mustang is not there, the Dodge truck is.

There is a second video from Fox 13 during their 10 p.m. broadcast and they go back to the same reporter who is live again in front of the Laundrie home.

I took a screenshot of the second video and turned the exposure WAY up in an attempt to see the background. There's probably a much better way to do this and achieve better results, but I was trying to do it on the fly. It looks like the truck is in the background.

Something that caught my attention - if you look at the first video from the 6 p.m. broadcast, the truck is backed directly underneath the camper. In the second broadcast, if I am right in what I'm seeing, the truck is now facing the camper and possibly a little more towards the left. I uploaded both photos for reference. If that's true, then obviously the truck was moved at some point between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Nice post. The truck being backed up to the camper is something I noticed too on earlier pics. Makes you wonder, was the camper attached the previous time the truck was out before the afternoon of the 13th? I keep going back to SB's text about the Laundries visiting places, parks, and campgrounds, and some of those visits taking place the weekend after de Soto...
https://twitter.com/JossieCarbonare/status/1442914746483634177/photo/1
https://twitter.com/JossieCarbonare/status/1442907932903940098/photo/1

I can see the bottom right in the screenshots, there's a black sort of "strip". But Imho, it looks slightly crooked and not as if the door is open/shut.

It doesn't matter what I see. It's weird I agree with that. Whatever we are seeing is irrelevant. We need to be seeing BL already.

Yeah, I don't think it really matters to the case, other than identifying the approximate time and place where Gabby's van was, in relation to where Gabby's body was eventually found. But it's interesting in terms of the "wow, that's a creepy moment to actually capture, knowing what we now know" factor.

Is this the video with the van at the side of the road? If so, watch it from back before the van comes into view. When it first comes into view you can see a vertical black line on the back of the van. As the camera approaches the black line disappears. As it gets closer there is nothing there that can explain the black line. I'm pretty sure the back door was, in fact, ajar and then closed as the camera was approaching.
I have some experience with video editing programs. I saw both videos and it appears the original video has NOT been enhanced. The second video (the slow motion one with the "closing door") appears TO BE enhanced. Oftentimes, when an attempt is made to adjust contrast, sharpening or pixel depth, the image can develop artifacts - areas of color that can join together to form "islands" of color or shadow. These "islands" are the result of squashing pixels too close to one another to sharpen or enhance specific areas of a photograph or video image. The process ma also "borrow" areas of color nearby to force a "fill". Doing so can place a nearby color where it never was. The best image of what existed at the time is the first video slowed down to an extremely low frame rate. The "closing door" video has has additional manipulation in an attempt to sharpen the image. In brief, it has been over sharpened, has enhanced contrast and a pretty sloppy application of pixel depth adjustment.

Last edited:
Moving the truck the evening of the 13th is consistent with the latest revision by SB. As for the rain, though, can’t read too much into that imo. There’s a well-known saying in FL, “if you don’t like the rain, wait 10 minutes or move 10 feet”. On & off showers are short little bursts. Can be pouring on one street & dry a block away. I don’t think the weather impacted the Laundries much, if at all. Jmo

Except there are photos of CL working his yard earlier in the day, no Mustang in the driveway, no rain. So the rain had to come later in the afternoon. The timing of the rain was mostly in an effort to guesstimate when the neighbors would have been interviewed during the day.

The movement of the truck does line up with his story that he went to search for BL, but it does NOT line up with how long he searched for him. The article stated he searched for 4-5 hours. Those broadcasts were at 6 and 10. I'm sure at this point his memory is a little fuzzy on events, especially since he just remembered he searched at all, but does the length of the search make a difference?

Since I made that post, I also discovered the park is only open from 6 am to sunset. So, how did he search for 4 hours, max, if the park wasn't open to the public? Could this information sway one to believe he possibly picked BL up after hours to move him to a different location?

Edited to fix my spelling, again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members